60. Guest
61. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,803

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My first tank..Dry Start Monte Carlo need help.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My first tank..Dry Start Monte Carlo need help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n70me
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:41 pm Post subject: My first tank..Dry Start Monte Carlo need help. Reply with quote

Hi  Experts,

Iam  on  dry  start  with  monte  carlo  on  foreground  and  Hydrocotyle  tripartita  -Honda  on  the  background  started  on  April  18th,  So  it  has  been  more  than  3  weeks  now.  This  is  my  first  planted  tank.

Initial  2weeks  used  a  low  led  light  of  15w.  upgraded  it  to  full  spectrum  light  last  week  2  *25  W.

tank  details:

45  L,  30  W,30  H  CM.

lighting  using  btree  full  spectrum  led  2  *25  W  fixture=  50W

photo  period:  10hrs

substrate:  aquaclay  bottom  layer,  contro  soil  upper  layer

Monte  Carlo:

I  see  some  new  leaves  with  green  and  little  yelloish  color  on  them,  Some  of  them  turned  brown  and  ¬†got  melted  away  so  removed  them  last  week.  Below  is  the  latest  pic  of  MC.

Problem  i  see  is  the  growth  is  very  slow  with  MC,  after  the  new  leaves  formation  i  dont  see  much  progress.  Need  your  advice  if  i  need  to  dose  any  fertilizers.

Honda:
 Seems  to  be  responding  well  after  upgrading  my  light.  Can  see  plenty  of  new  growth.  But  i  see  new  leaves  having  ¬†yellow  leaves  and  eventually  becoming  green.  Is  this  a  sign  of  nutrient  deficiency?

How  do  i  speed  up  MC  growth.  Shud  i  dose  fertlizers  ?Is  Substrate  like  contro  soil  suitable  for  carpeting  plants  like  as  the  grain  size  is  large  or  shud  i  have  gone  for  fine  grained  substrate?

As  mentioned  earlier,  this  is  my  first  planted  tank.  So  please  suggest  if  iam  on  right  direction.
ravishsahu1984
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: My first tank..Dry Start Monte Carlo need help. Reply with quote

Hi,  I  have  a  monte  carlo  carpet  in  my  tank.  I  am  not  an  expert  though,  but  what  I  can  figure  out  from  the  picture  is  that,  the  monte  carlo  you  have  put  are  very  far  from  each  other..  when  I  planted,  I  made  very  small  bunches  and  planted  them  all  very  near  to  each  other.  Full  carpet  you  can  see  only  after  a  month  or  so.  Also,  its  need  good  lighting  and  high  C02.  7  hrs  lighting  is  enough  if  intensity  of  lighting  its  good,  otherwise  you  can  run  into  problem  of  algae.
 Put  brigthy  K  and  step  1  regularly.
n70me
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:52 pm Post subject: Re: My first tank..Dry Start Monte Carlo need help. Reply with quote

ravishsahu1984  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi,  I  have  a  monte  carlo  carpet  in  my  tank.  I  am  not  an  expert  though,  but  what  I  can  figure  out  from  the  picture  is  that,  the  monte  carlo  you  have  put  are  very  far  from  each  other..  when  I  planted,  I  made  very  small  bunches  and  planted  them  all  very  near  to  each  other.  Full  carpet  you  can  see  only  after  a  month  or  so.  Also,  its  need  good  lighting  and  high  C02.  7  hrs  lighting  is  enough  if  intensity  of  lighting  its  good,  otherwise  you  can  run  into  problem  of  algae.
 Put  brigthy  K  and  step  1  regularly.                

Planting  yes  will  improve  it.  This  is  dsm  hence  iam  using  high  lighting  of  10hrs.  Just  brought  few  fertlizers  of  N,P,K  and  trace  elements  bottles  and  have  dosed  it  couples  of  times  in  last  one  week.  Currently  thinking  to  dose  it  couple  of  time  per  week  as  this  is  dsm.  But  not  really  sure  about  how  often  should  i  dose  ideally.  Experts  please  suggest.

Thanks,
Planthead
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:14 pm Post subject: Re: My first tank..Dry Start Monte Carlo need help. Reply with quote

I  am  not  using  DSM,  but  these  guys  MC  are  growing  very  very  slow  with  high  light/CO2  and  ferts,  they  just  started  after  a  month.  I  would  suggest  you  to  wait  for  some  more  time.  Regarding  DSM  ferts  experts  will  pitch  in.
n70me
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 pm Post subject: Re: My first tank..Dry Start Monte Carlo need help. Reply with quote

ok  thanks.  so  i  would  assume  the  growth  of  MC  is  very  slow  in  the  initial  1mnth.  Unless  i  hear  anything  from  others.

Thanks,
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:40 pm Post subject: Re: My first tank..Dry Start Monte Carlo need help. Reply with quote

Add  co2,  there  is  no  point  increasing  light  if  you  are  not  adding  CO2.  Even  in  DRY  start  adding  CO2,  you  will  get  good  growth.  The  best  part  is  at  this  stage  you  can  use  DIY  co2  and  not  worry  about  algae.  the  first  2  weeks  the  plant  grow  good  roots,  you  should  see  better  growth  in  the  following  days.  If  the  substrate  is  Inert,  mix  some  fertilizer  in  water  and  use  that  to  spray.
n70me
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:47 am Post subject: Re: My first tank..Dry Start Monte Carlo need help. Reply with quote

Thanks  preeths.  

Few  Questions:
 Can  i  go  sub  merged  now  instead  of  DSM  and  use  pressurized  co2?  Which  also  allow  me  to  use  sufficient  nutrients?
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:08 pm Post subject: Re: My first tank..Dry Start Monte Carlo need help. Reply with quote

This  is  upto  you  when  you  want  to  make  the  transition.  i  would  suggest  to  wait  till  the  plants  have  filled  in  at  least  75%  of  the  area.  that  way  you  wont  have  to  wait  long  for  a  good  carpet  to  grow.
admissioninfonew
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:22 pm Post subject: Re: My first tank..Dry Start Monte Carlo need help. Reply with quote

you  need  to  add  co2  .....more  

M  Sc  Nursing  Course  in  BangaloreNursing  Colleges  in  GujaratNursing  Colleges  in  Himachal  PradeshNursing  Colleges  in  KeralaNursing  Colleges  in  RajasthanNursing  Colleges  in  Tamilnadu
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: