220. Guest
221. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,810

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is better for a planted aquarium?
Seeds
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Live Plants
100%
 100%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 10

Freestyler24
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:13 am Post subject: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Hi  All,
 My  aquarium  got  infested  with  snails  and  hence  I  am  planning  to  start  fresh  with  new  soil  plants  and  others.  As  I  realised  that  my  tank  got  the  snails  from  the  live  plants  that  I  ordered  online  and  also  I  didn’t  check  for  any  elements.  So  I  am  thinking  if  it  would  be  better  for  me  to  buy  seeds  of  carpet  plants.  But  my  local  aquarists  told  me  these  seed  plants  would  just  grow  and  rot  sooner  compared  to  live  plant.  Please  help  me  to  understand  if  that’s  true  and  also  where  can  I  buy  the  seeds  as  I  cannot  find  a  trusted  seller  online.  Tried  IndoHobby.com  but  they  seems  to  be  very  ignorant  and  have  poor  customer  service.  Kindly  help.  Thank  you
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:13 am Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Freestyler24  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  All,
 My  aquarium  got  infested  with  snails  and  hence  I  am  planning  to  start  fresh  with  new  soil  plants  and  others.  As  I  realised  that  my  tank  got  the  snails  from  the  live  plants  that  I  ordered  online  and  also  I  didn’t  check  for  any  elements.  So  I  am  thinking  if  it  would  be  better  for  me  to  buy  seeds  of  carpet  plants.  But  my  local  aquarists  told  me  these  seed  plants  would  just  grow  and  rot  sooner  compared  to  live  plant.  Please  help  me  to  understand  if  that’s  true  and  also  where  can  I  buy  the  seeds  as  I  cannot  find  a  trusted  seller  online.  Tried  IndoHobby.com  but  they  seems  to  be  very  ignorant  and  have  poor  customer  service.  Kindly  help.  Thank  you                

Those  seeds  which  you  get  are  actually  of  a  terrestrial  plant  which  grows  out  of  your  tank.  It  looks  cool  only  for  a  few  weeks  when  the  plants  are  small.

I  would  definitely  not  discount  live  plants  at  all  due  to  snails.  What  type  of  snail  infested  your  tank?  There  are  plenty  of  ways  to  get  rid  of  a  snail  infestation,  plus  having  a  few  snails  in  the  tank  is  actually  beneficial  sometimes.  

I  dont  recommend  seeds  at  all  since  they  are  just  a  marketing  gimmick  to  fool  novice  aquarists.  And  I  live  in  a  city  with  no  good  LFS  so  all  my  plant  purchases  have  been  online,  never  have  I  found  a  snail  in  my  tanks.  I  would  suggest  buying  from  aquaswild  and  aquabynature.  Ive  personally  tried  both  these  websites  and  I've  never  faced  an  issue  with  either.
Freestyler24
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:11 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Hi  Ashwin,  Thank  you  for  your  time  and  patience  to  understand  my  query  and  reply.  The  snails  I  had  was  those  100’s  and  1000’s  of  them.  I  didn’t  wanted  my  fishes  to  die  so  I  didn’t  use  any  chemicals.  As  you  said  I’ll  use  the  live  plants  instead  of  seeds.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:27 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

What  type  of  snails  where  there?  Adding  assasin  snail  to  your  tank  is  a  sure  shot  way  of  reducing  a  lot  of  nuisance  snails  like  ramshorn  and  pond  snails.  Also  there  are  several  traps  such  as  dropping  a  piece  of  zucchini  or  cucumber  in  the  tank  and  leaving  it  overnight,  subsequently  removing  it  the  day  after  along  with  a  large  number  of  snails  attracted  to  it.
Freestyler24
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:44 am Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

I  don't  know  the  type.  But  I  tried  cucumber  lettuce  and   carrot.  But  were  able  to  catch  very  few.  Even  tried  to  starve  them  but  was  of  no  use.  As  I  start  feeding  the  fishes  they  come  back  alive  again.  Those  were  the  tiny  at  the  beginning  and  started  growing  really  big.  I  am  new  to  this  hobby  and  was  really  enjoying  it  until  this  happened.  So  being  paranoid  abour  getting  anymore  of  these  snails  I  thought  of  getting  seeds  instead  of  plants.  However  I  don't  understand  this  that  even  the  plants  we  buy  come  from  seeds,  don't  they?  Is  it  cuz  they  sell  fake  seeds?  Or  the  plants  are  grown  in  a  different  way  than  we  do  in  a  aquarium.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:28 am Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Most  of  the  aquarium  plants  common  in  the  hobby  are  propagated  using  their  cuttings  or  replanting  runners/plantlets  which  grow  from  the  mother  plant.  Many  do  flower,  thus  produce  seeds,  but  these  flowers  only  occur  when  the  conditions  are  terrestrial  and  the  saplings  that  come  out  of  the  seeds  are  also  terrestrial.  Plants  like  Anubias  and  Bucephalandra  sometimes  make  impressive  submerged  flowers  (esp.  the  buce)  but  these  flowers  don't  get  pollinated  and  thus  don't  get  to  produce  seeds.  While  both  of  these  will  make  seeds  when  they  are  grown  outside  of  water  and  the  seeds  can  be  used  to  grow  plants  which  can  be  later  replanted  underwater.  

Regarding  snails,  can  you  describe  how  your  looked,  it  can  be  easy  to  remedy  them  when  it  is  identified  what  kind  of  snails  they  were.
alextvino
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 am Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Ashwin  me  too  have  snail  attack  in  my  cement  tank  even  they  have  eaten  my  angelfish  eggs,  I  can  able  to  control  them  by  removing  manually  few  hundred  once  in  a  week  Any  suggestion  to  remove  them  permanently  they  are  reproducing  day  by  day  in  hundreds

Methods  tried  already
 1.Cucumber  -  Only  able  to  remove  20  to  30  snails
 2.  Assassin  snail   -Added  10  snails  but  not  able  to  found  them  after  one  week

I  will  post  the  picture  in  the  evening  

Freestyler24  sorry  for  hijacking  your  thread
vm120286
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:24 am Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

@alextvino:  adding  loaches  also  helps.  loaches  will  feed  on  snails..
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

alextvino  wrote  (View  Post):                
Ashwin  me  too  have  snail  attack  in  my  cement  tank  even  they  have  eaten  my  angelfish  eggs,  I  can  able  to  control  them  by  removing  manually  few  hundred  once  in  a  week  Any  suggestion  to  remove  them  permanently  they  are  reproducing  day  by  day  in  hundreds

Methods  tried  already
 2.  Assassin  snail   -Added  10  snails  but  not  able  to  found  them  after  one  week

Im  sure  Freestyler24  would  not  mind  us  snail  Nazis  discussing  the  obliteration  of  snails  on  his  thread  lol  Chuckle  

Since  you  are  keeping  angelfish,  I  am  sure  they  wont  mind  addition  of  a  lil  bit  of  copper  sulfate  into  the  water.  Copper  abslutely  wrecks  all  invertebrate,  and  will  kill  em  all,  including  shrimps  too.  It  also  is  a  mild  antibiotic  so  it'll  rid  your  angelfish  from  any  parasites  as  well.  Check  google  for  the  amount  needed  for  your  tank.

Last edited by ashwin1224 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
alextvino
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:19 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Thanks,  vm120286
 sure  Ashwin  will  give  a  try  hope  this  will  not  harm  my  angels,  cardinals,   lemon  tetras,  red  eye  tetra,  silvertip  tetra,  mountain  minnow,  and  plants,  Any  link  to  purchase  aquarium  safe  copper  sulfate
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Thanks,  vm120286
 sure  Ashwin  will  give  a  try  hope  this  will  not  harm  my  angels,  cardinals,   lemon  tetras,  red  eye  tetra,  silvertip  tetra,  mountain  minnow,  and  plants,  Any  link  to  purchase  aquarium  safe  copper  sulfate                

There  is  a  product  called  Cupramine  from  Seachem  which  is  100%  safe.  However  you  can  get  it  for  much  cheaper  at  any  veterinary  medicine  shop.
 Link  for  seachem:  
 Amazon.in
alextvino
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:31 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

thanks  dude
Freestyler24
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:59 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

ashwin1224  wrote  (View  Post):                

Methods  tried  already

Im  sure  Freestyler24  would  not  mind  us  snail  Nazis  discussing  the  obliteration  of  snails  on  his  thread  lol  Chuckle  

Since  you  are  keeping  angelfish,  I  am  sure  they  wont  mind  addition  of  a  lil  bit  of  copper  sulfate  into  the  water.  Copper  abslutely  wrecks  all  invertebrate,  and  will  kill  em  all,  including  shrimps  too.  It  also  is  a  mild  antibiotic  so  it'll  rid  your  angelfish  from  any  parasites  as  well.  Check  google  for  the  amount  needed  for  your  tank.                

Lol.
 I  don't  want  anymore  snail.  I  am  sooo  done  with  it.  Chuckle  
 I  have  attached  the  picture  of  the  snail  (don't  know  the  name)  that  infested  my  aquarium.
 Thank  you  so  much  for  your  input  and  suggestions.  I  really  appreciate  it.  

One  of  the  other  questio  thats  bothering  me  is  that  do  we  need  a  substrate  coil  for  the  plants  to  survive  longer  and  healthier?
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:41 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Thats  a  trumpet  snail.  Its  really  good  in  small  numbers  but  it  doesn't  take  long  for  it  to  grow  out  of  control  which  Im  sure  you  know  all  too  well.  Trouble  with  this  snail  is  that  it  is  a  livebearing  snail,  i.e.  it  births  full  formed  tiny  snails  rather  than  lay  eggs  which  take  time  to  develop  into  adults.  Best  course  of  action  for  controlling  these  are  to  reduce  food  and/or  add  snail  predators  like  clown  loaches  and  pea  puffers.
alextvino
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:27 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Ashwin  Please  have  a  look  on  my  snail  and  share  your  view
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: