137. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,866

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Discus Tank Setup
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Discus Tank Setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aksazeem
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:44 am Post subject: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

hello  friends,

I  am  a  discus  lover  from  Paksitan  and  currently  i  am  starting  up  a  new  tank  for  them.  I  was  searching  through  the  web  when  i  came  across  this  forum  and  i  bilieve  that  we  must  be  having  same  problems,  and  hope  you  guys  will  help...i  will  start  with  problems  i  feel  i  am  having.  First  of  all  i  am  starting  a  planted  tank  with  gravel  not  a  bare  bottom.  My  aquarium  size  is  4  feet  in  length  2  feet  high  and  1.5  feet  deep  around  90  gallons  i  bilieve.

-Now  do  you  guys  suffer  from  availability  of  different  plants  as  well?

-I  have  undergorund  bore  water  and  Govt  Pump  water(full  of  chlorine)
 Chlorine  water  i  dont  use  or  will  only  use  after  aging  it  with  anti  chlorine  and  air  stone  for  atleast  24  hours  but  tell  me  isn't  the  boring  water  hard  in  nature  as  i  have  seen  salt  deposits  sticking  on  my  aquarium  glass  and  are  they  bad  for  discus?

-Do  you  guys  have  expensive  discus  cause  here  a  4  inch  pair  can  cost  upto  Rs  6000  depending  upon  the  strain.Like  i  saw  a  pair  of  red  marlbros  awesome  and  very  healthy  and  it  was  for  Rs  5000.

-Any  one  keeping  plants?  any  fertilizers  you  are  using?  i  have  Co2  installed  but  not  using  any  ferts  at  the  moment.

-I  can  buy  a  canister  filter  but  tell  cant  power  heads  do  the  job?  I  am  not  installing  a  UGF  but  i  can  get  two  powerheads  i  have  attached  PVC  pipe  with  power  head  to  minimise  the  current  of  the  water.

All  help  is  appreciated  and  for  some  visual  assistance  i  am  attaching  a  few  pictures  Smile
 Regards  
 Aks(Not  Mr  Amitabh  Bachan's  Movie)  thats  my  name  but  movie  as  good.
onlydiscus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:33 am Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

Hi  Ask,

Welcome  to  IAH  world.  Smile  

Your  red  marlbro  pair  seems  to  be  costly,  but  may  be  its  depend  on  discus  availibility  in  your  local  area.  You  are  right  that  different  strain  cost  you  different.

Other  IAH  member  can  answer  your  remaining  question  as  I  don't  have  experience  about  bore  water.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:17 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

Welcome  to  IAH  aks

aksazeem  wrote  (View  Post):                
hello  friends,
 -Now  do  you  guys  suffer  from  availability  of  different  plants  as  well?                

It  depends  upon  the  city,  in  major  cicteis  like  bangalore,  chennai,  mumbai,  the  aquarists  can  get  good  quality  plants,  but  for  major  part  of  india  including  lucknow  (from  where  I  come)  good  plants  are  not  available  easily.

Quote:                

-I  have  undergorund  bore  water  and  Govt  Pump  water(full  of  chlorine)
 Chlorine  water  i  dont  use  or  will  only  use  after  aging  it  with  anti  chlorine  and  air  stone  for  atleast  24  hours  but  tell  me  isn't  the  boring  water  hard  in  nature  as  i  have  seen  salt  deposits  sticking  on  my  aquarium  glass  and  are  they  bad  for  discus?                

I  too  have  both  type  of  water  Very Happy  you  ar  right  boring  water  is  very  hard  and  a  lot  of  calcium  deposits  are  seen  on  glass.  However  as  govt.  water  is  very  inconvienent  to  use  I  use  boring  water,  it  is  taken  through  my  kitchen  filter.  I  have  a  100  lts  drum  that  I  fill  with  filterd  water(not  a  "RO"  unit).  This  water  is  left  for  24  hrs  and  then  pumped  in  my  aquariums  by  a  small  submersible  pump
 [/quote]
 -Do  you  guys  have  expensive  discus  cause  here  a  4  inch  pair  can  cost  upto  Rs  6000  depending  upon  the  strain.Like  i  saw  a  pair  of  red  marlbros  awesome  and  very  healthy  and  it  was  for  Rs  5000.[/quote]
 No  idea  Very Happy   I  don't  keep  discus

Quote:                

-Any  one  keeping  plants?  any  fertilizers  you  are  using?  i  have  Co2  installed  but  not  using  any  ferts  at  the  moment.                

I  love  plants,  check  out  the  plant  forum,  it  is  s  mine  ful  of  information,  If  you  are  using  Co2,  fertilizers  are  essential.  Most  of  us  use  our  own  chemical  combinations  as  posted  on  this  site.

Quote:                

-I  can  buy  a  canister  filter  but  tell  cant  power  heads  do  the  job?  I  am  not  installing  a  UGF  but  i  can  get  two  powerheads  i  have  attached  PVC  pipe  with  power  head  to  minimise  the  current  of  the  water.                

Power  filters  are  not  good  for  planted  tanks  or  even  discus  tanks.
 Power  filters  agitate  the  surface  of  water  too  much,  this  drives  CO2  out  of  the  water.
 Discus  hail  from  nearly  calm  waters  of  amazon,  the  turbulance  caused  by  power  filter  will  stress  then  too  much.  
gokulin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:25 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

Hi  Aks,

Welcome   to  IAH

Enjoy  your  stay  here   Thumb Up
aksazeem
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:43 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

hey  thanks  for  the  welcome  and  help...

home  made  fertilizers  thats  great  Smile.  

Quote:                
Power  filters  are  not  good  for  planted  tanks  or  even  discus  tanks.  
 Power  filters  agitate  the  surface  of  water  too  much,  this  drives  CO2  out  of  the  water                

as  you  can  see  in  my  third  picture  i  have  connected  PVC  pipe  to  power  filter  which  goes  down  at  then  all  the  way  full  length  to  the  back  of  the  aquarium  i  have  also  put  pipes  for  Co2  driven  by  yeast  in  the  pipe  what  this  does  is  the  pressure  of  the  power  filter  mixes  Co2  in  water  and  with  tiny  holes  driven  at  the  end  the  Co2  mixed  water  comes  out  It  has  2  benefits

-It  has  literally  zero  current  in  water  no  movement  at  all.
 -Secondly  i  have  a  reaction  tube  for  Co2  and  water.

Now  as  there  are  no  currents  in  water  and  i  think  discus  wont  have  any  problems...
venki25
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:52 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

Hi  AKS

Welcome  to  IAH.  WE  feel  proud  to  have  your  association.

For  your  planted  tank  setup,  i  suggest  you  start  off  with  an  external  filter  instead  of  alternatives.  Though  the  purpose  of  External  filter   is  for  efficiency  in  reducing  nitrate  spikes  and  the  conventional  argument  that  planted  tank  does  not  allow  any  nitrate  build  up  -  can  never  be  valid.  There  is  a  lot  of  inconsistency  on  flow  rates  of  PHeads   and   the  bio  load  factor  cannot  be  predicted  too  at  this  time.  Canister  filter  should  be  the  best  bet.  You  can  use  your  powerheads  for  aiding  co2  reaction.  If  you  have  discus  in  mind  setup  your  planted  tank  well  and  then  introduce  them.

The  prices  for  discus  in  your  country  is  way  too  high...   Surprised   Surprised  

Weekend  traffic  in  our  site  is  low.  Hang  on  till  monday  and  our  Planted  Gurus  as  well  as  Discus  Gurus  can  offer  suggestions  or  alternatives.  Don't  be  surprised  if  they  also  talk  about  native  pakistani  plants  as  well  as  fishes  to  ...........  Chuckle   Chuckle
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:35 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

Hi  Aksazeem.

Â   Welcome  to  ASK  Â Smile  .Well  just  to  start  you  off  here  you  have  come  to  the  right  place  for  anything  aquarium  related.  In  addition  ofcourse  sme  great  ple  here  too.

Last edited by harshal on Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:36 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

Hi  Aksazeem.

Â   Welcome  to  ASK  Â Smile  .Well  just  to  start  you  off  here  you  have  come  to  the  right  place  for  anything  aquarium  related.  In  addition  ofcourse  sme  great  ple  here  too.  

Â I  have  a  planted  discus  aquarium.  And  yes  the  rates  there  are  very  high.  Yes  we  do  have  sme  trouble  in  sourcing  out  plants  but  since  the  hobby  circle  is  big  and  growing  most  of  the  times  we  are  able  to  get  the  things  we  need.  Now  i  suggestion  i'll  make  is  for  you  to  get  a  canister  filter,  its  that  much  lesser  of  a  headache  for  you.

Quote:                
-It  has  literally  zero  current  in  water  no  movement  at  all.  

Â This  is  not  a  good  thing  it  always  good  to  have  a  good  water  current  thats  when  your  fish  stay  healthier  also  for  the  plants  in  "zero"  water  current  there  is  a  chance  of  algea  formation  in  a  few  places.
   Â   As  for  the  fertilizers  you  should  check  out  this  site  Â http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/  Â It  has  a  nutrient  calculator  which  is  a  very  handy  thing  to  have.  Also  go  thru  another  site  Â www.thekrib.com  Â very  good  information  on  this  site  about  home  made  fertilizers.
   Â   Here  are  some  of  my  discus  tank  pics

Last edited by harshal on Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:38 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

Srry  abt  the  repeat  post.  Am  not  able  to  delete  it.

Regards
       Harshal.
aksazeem
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:26 am Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

Quote:                
Welcome  to  IAH.  WE  feel  proud  to  have  your  association.  

Quote:                
Welcome  to  ASK     .Well  just  to  start  you  off  here  you  have  come  to  the  right  place  for  anything  aquarium  related.  In  addition  ofcourse  sme  great  ple  here  too.                  

Thank  you  two  Smile

Very  nice  tank  man  how  have  you  got  such  a  growth  and  what  plants  are  you  using...Are  you  using  Co2  as  well?  and  how  many  discus  you  have  got  there...Discus  here  are  not  always  that  expensive  its  just  that  may  be  that  shopkeeper  was  selling  it  costly  as  no  discus  is  available  in  market  all  are  sold  out  but  yes  some  strains  are  that  expensive  as  well...I  have  recently  seen  pigeon  bloods  lepords  snake  skins  san  merah  etc  at  much  lower  prices  Smile....  i  want  to  start  with  juvenlies  which  i  can  get  for  around  Rs  2500  a  dozen...i  hope  these  prices  are  better  Smile
aksazeem
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:24 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

All  this  plant  growth  stuff  has  made  to  look  towards  stripping  tank  again  and  doing  it  again...but  f  you  guys  suggest  me  to  do  that  then  tell  me  should  i  put  any  fertilizer  below  the  gravel  or  something...As  we  cant  put  Gobar  or  Urea  Smile  in  tank  what  do  you  guys  suggest  i  put  there  if  at  all  i  should  strip  the  tank.Or  can  i  salvage  something  right  now  Razz  and  what  kinda  grass  is  it  in  that  pic  its  really  lovely
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

Nice  tank  HArshal  Clapping  
 Is  that  glosso  in  front,  can  you  post  more  details  of  your  tanks
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:45 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

aksazeem  wrote  (View  Post):                
All  this  plant  growth  stuff  has  made  to  look  towards  stripping  tank  again  and  doing  it  again...but  f  you  guys  suggest  me  to  do  that  then  tell  me  should  i  put  any  fertilizer  below  the  gravel  or  something...As  we  cant  put  Gobar  or  Urea  Smile  in  tank  what  do  you  guys  suggest  i  put  there  if  at  all  i  should  strip  the  tank.Or  can  i  salvage  something  right  now  Razz  and  what  kinda  grass  is  it  in  that  pic  its  really  lovely                

Fertilizer  below  substrate  is  not  a  very  good  idea.  It  might  get  into  water  column  and  algae  will  result
 You  need  to  increase  more  plants  in  your  tank,else  you  will  have  a  nutrient  mismaatch  in  your  tank  when  you  increase  lights,  fertilizers,  CO2  the  plants  will.
 What  gravel  do  you  have,  is  it  between  2-3  mm  it  is  okay  for  plants.
 Unlike  land  plants,  aquatic  plants  absorb  nutrients  from  their  whole  body,  leaves,  stems  etc.
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:38 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

Hi  sandeep

Â   Â   Thanks!!  Yes  that  is  glosso  in  the  front.  
   Â   Â 
     Â   Tank  1

Â   Â   Tank  Spec:  48"  *  21"  *  21"  (ibn  inches)
   Â   Â   Â Co2:  Automated,  at  3  bubbles  a  sec.  SMS122  ph  controller.  Powered  Aquamedic  Reactor.
   Â   Â   Â Filtration:  Azoo  CF1200,  Dolphin  C1000
   Â   Â   Â Lighting:  6nos  Â 36w  T8  tubes  (8000k,  6000k,5200k,4000k).  On  for  11hrs/day
   Â   Â   Â Substrate:  1"  Red  Mud  mixed  with  peat  moss,  2"  haridwar  sand.
   Â   Â   Â Fertilizers:  Microsol  b(daily).  KNo3,MgSo4,K2So4(weekly)
   Â   Â   Â Water  Changes:  50%  weekly
          Ph:  6.7  Kh:  8

Â   Tank  2

Â   Â   Tank  Spec:  30"  *  21"  *  21".  (  in  inches)
   Â   Â   Co2:automated  system.At  2  bubbles  a  sec.SMS122  ph  controller.Powered  aquamedic  reactor
   Â   Â   Filtration:Using  an  ehiem  2215  
   Â   Â   Lighting:  3  plls(7200k,6000k).  36w  each.  On  for  10hrs/day
   Â   Â Substrate:  Red  mud  mixed  with  peat  moss  1"  layer.  2"  of  haridwar  sand  on  top.
   Â   Â Firtilizers:  Microsol  b  (daily).  Kno3,  mgso4,  K2so4  (weekly).
   Â   Â Water  Changes:  50%  Â weekly.
       Ph:6.7  Kh:  8

Â   Â Regards
   Â   Â   Â Harshal.
aksazeem
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:45 am Post subject: Re: Discus Tank Setup Reply with quote

Quote:                
What  gravel  do  you  have,  is  it  between  2-3  mm  it  is  okay  for  plants.  

Yes...

Returning  to  the  basic  thing  how  many  plants  you  think  i  should  have  there?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: