56. Guest
57. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - corner overflow and piping
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

corner overflow and piping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vidul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:04 pm Post subject: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Hi  All,
 Am  in  the  process  of  starting  a  48  by  24by  24  (inch)  reef  tank  with  corner  overflow  and  sump.
 Need  to  know  what  would  be  the  right  piping  diameter  and  what  should  be  the  diameter  of  the  inlet  and  outlet  holes  drilled  in  the  tank  overflow  section.
 Thanks
scorpiopereira
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:27 pm Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

could  u  kindly  explain  whatz  th  eoverflow  and  slump  u  are  talkin  about
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:03 pm Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Vidul,

Try  to  avoid  tank  drilling  and  use  some  of  the  other  methods  available  for  an  overflow.

I'll  post  some  details  about  the  size  of  piping,  height  above  water  level  and  rate  of  flow  through  this  pipe  tomorrow.

Strongly  advise  you  to  avoid  drilling  the  tank,  many  other  excellent  alternatives  are  there.
 Check  teh  Marine  Aquarium  forums.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:09 pm Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Overfow  =  an  arrangement  made  to  over  flow  the  tank  water  continuously  to  another  containrer  placed  below  the  aquarium  =  sump.

This  increases  the  total  water  volume  of  the  system,  helps  you  to  hide  equipment  in  the  sump,  have  baffle  separation  for  multi-stage  filtration  etc.,  etc.,  water  is  pumped  back  to  the  aquarium  from  the  sump  continuously.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:54 am Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Hi  Vidul,

I  am  unable  to  upload  a  decent  image  giving  details  of  Pipe  size,  Head  of  water  and  flow  rates.  PM  me  your  e-mail  Id  and  I'll  pass  the  file  on  to  you.
ravi_737
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:06 am Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Hi  Madan,

Could  you  please  pass  on  the  file  with  details  of  the  overflow  and  sump  to  me  too.  

I  would  be  of  great  help.

Thanks  in  advance,

Regards,

Ravi
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:36 am Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Try  these  links  for  
 Sump  volume  Calc
 Drain  Size  Calc
Vidul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:45 am Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Hi  Madan/Psimhan,
 Have  started  the  new  tank  around  2  months  ago.  Went  against  the  use  of  overflow  pipes  as  they  do  seem  to  break  siphon  in  the  long  run.  Was  in  S'pore  recently  so  got  the  design  from  a  veteran  there.  Have  got  3  holes  drilled  for  the  corner  overflow,  currenly  using  2.  Have  silicone  sealed  the  thind  one.  Corner  overflows  are  the  most  reliable  as  they  hardly  ever  break  spihon  and  the  water  movement  is  always  clearly  visible.
 Have  put  in  a  120  litre  sump.
 Will  upload  some  photos  in  a  while.
 Thank  you  for  all  the  suggestions.
 Vidul
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:51 pm Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Sorry  for  the  late  answer  vidul,
 Yes  if  the  assembly  of  the  overflow  pipe  is  not  proper  it  tends  to  break  the  siphon!  I  remember  hecking  brains  with  the  first  overflow  pipe  that  Rajeev  made  and  just  a  small  extension  to  the  pipe  was  enough  to  get  it  up  and  running!
 I  would  like  to  know  what  size  of  holes  have  you  got  drilled  in  your  glass?
 what  is  the  over  flow  connected  to?  do  you  have  a  over  flow  chamber  or  is  it  directly  connected  to  the  drain  pipe?
 A  picture  would  help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:05 pm Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Yes,  please  post  pictures  ,Vidul.
 I  plan  to  install  a  sump  in  my  tank  once  I  move  it  to  my  new  place  and  am  looking  through  all  sorts  of  designs  for  overflows.
 Most  of  the  good  ones  involve  drilling  holes  or  extensive  use  and  skill  with  plexiglass.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:37 pm Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Pradeep,
 here  is  one  of  my  set-ups  but,  this  tank  has  a  hole  drilled  in  the  glass  for  the  overflow!  Enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:40 pm Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

The  middle  section  that  you  see  empty  in  the  above  picture  is  now  a  beautiful  refugium!  With  lights  on  top!  I  will  try  to  click  some  more  pictures  soon
 HTH!
rakshit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:01 pm Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

hi  madan  could  u  please  pass  this  file  in  my  email

i  am  reseraching  in  diffirent  times  of  sumps,  overheads,  overflows  thats  my  hobby  to  try  n  help  others

plz  email  me  on  :  kumarpankaj_1978  [at]  yahoo  [dot]  com
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:34 pm Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Wow!!  Pretty  good  work,  Nauzer!!
 This  is  why  you  are  the  the  Guru  and  I  am  the  shishya  Very Happy  
 My  tank  finally  got  moved  and  is  in  its  final  resting  place  now  Thumb Up  

I  have  to  update  my  thread,  I  guess,  although  it  pales  in  comparision  to  Hitsters  and  others  tanks.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:51 pm Post subject: Re: corner overflow and piping Reply with quote

Every  tank  has  it's  unique  identity:  every  tank  reflects  the  keeper's  dedication  and  skill:  every  tank  is  the  keeper's  'karma-bhumi'  what  is  stopping  you  Pradeep?  I  think  the  kind  of  keen  interest  you  take  in  the  subject  and  the  kind  of  dedication  you  show  should  be  well  worth  seeing!
 BTW  it  is  high  time  you  updated  your  thread!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: