99. Guest
100. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,463

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:00 pm Post subject: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Hello  everybody

I  am  attaching   snaps  of  my  4  months  old  tank.  I  request  your  suggestion  on  to  improve  aquasacping  in  this  tank.  Just  to  mention,  I  pruned  the  plants  last  Sunday,  so  they  appear  a  little  thiner.

Aquarium  :  4  x  1.5  x  1.75  Cub  feet.
 Water  :  pH  :  7.0  to  7.2,  Hardness  :  220  ppm,  Bicarbonate  Alkalinity  :  150  ppm,  Chloride  :  80  ppm.
 Filter  :  Ehiem  2213  Cannister  (600  Liters/Hour)
 Lights  :  2  x  70  Watt  MH  6000K.  Philips  Ballast  with  Havels  Bulbs.
 CO2  :  DIY  yeast,  outlet  attached  to  a  reactor  driven  by  Ehiem  outlet.
 Gravel  :  Plain  Sand  gravel,  nothing  else.
 Fertliser  :  Potassium  10  ppm,  Nitrate:  5ppm  and  Phosphate  1  ppm  twice  a  week.
 Water  change  :  25%  a  week.  (Some  time  miss  it  also).
 Fishes  :  24  Rummy  Nose,  6  Otos,  5  Amano  Shrimp,  2  black  molly.
 Plants  :  Hair  grass,  HC,  Bacopa,  Java  and  Willow  Moss,  Hygro,  Sagattaria  and  others.

Camera  used:  Mobile  Phone  Nokia  3260

Regards

Rana
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:18 am Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

No  suggestion  only  a  question  -  you  are  using  only  plain  sand  as  the  substrate?

Its  been  a  long  time  since  I  heard  that!!  Glad  to  know  though.

This  tank  looks  well  established.  Aquascaping  on  a  radical  scale  will  take  it  back  to  square  one.  Why  not  start  another  tank?  There  are  a  lot  of  posts  on  aquascaping  the  current  hot  topic  is  the  golden  ratio.

Deepesh
amitava
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:23 am Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Rana,

Very  good  growth.  My  Hcs  are  not  spreading  so  well.

Keep  up  the  good  work.

regards
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:03 am Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Deepesh  /  Amitava

Thanks  a  lot  for  your  valuable  opinion.

I  used  plain  sand  gravel  because  of  two  reason.

When  I  need  to  uproot  a  plant,  there  is  no  possiblity  of  mixing  up  two  layers  and  make  the  water  turbid.

I  depend  more  on  water  column  fertiliser  to  enhance  plant  growth.  So,  based  on  my  previous  expereinces,  I  prefer  single  layer  substrate  which  after  some  time  will  become  equally  enriched  with  mulm.

I  have  just  started  another  aquarium  which  is  one  month  old,  taking  inspiration  from  Amano  sytle  aquascapes.

Amitava

Keep  more  nitrate  in  HC  tank,  and  light.  Algae  will  come  definitely  but  maintain  the  nitrate  level  more  than  5  ppm.  When  the  HC  start  spreading,  the  algae  will  disappear  gradually.
 Change  25%  water  weekly  and  keep  the  water  pH  around  7.0

I  also  dose  Glut  along  with  CO2  everyday  without  fail.

Hope  this  will  help

Regards
 Rana
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sundar
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:47 am Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Hi

Rana

You  have  got  a  Nice  set  up.  Add  some  back  ground  Plants  to  enhance  the  overall  effect.What  you  see  in  Nature,  which  is  more  appealing  to  you,  go  by  that,  when  doing  your  Aquascaping.  Thumb Up  

Regards
 Sundar
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:56 am Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Hi  Rana,
   The  tank  looks  great,

If  i  were  you  i  would  have  gone  for  a  few  more  back  ground  plants  as  well  this  would  have  taken  off  the  blue  back  ground  of  your  tank.

I  suppose  even  the  space  allocated  for  the  background  plants  i  feel  is  lesser  than  the  space  for  the  foreground.

Even  then  the  tank  looks  awsome  clean  and  neat.

Raghu
brojo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:16 am Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Now  I  know  this  Saturday's  drive  through  the  traffic  madness  of  Haridevpur  and  Keorapukur  bazaar  to  reach  your  house  will  be  worth  it.  I  think  this  effort  is  worth  ten  times  more  than  what  it  is  in  those  foreign  websites,  given  the  hurdles  that  we  have  to  overcome  for  everything  including  water,  lights,  plants,  etc  etc.  
 Keep  it  up.
 Sudipto
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:27 am Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Sundar  /  Raghu

Thanks  for  your  suggestion.  In  fact  I  also  agree  with  you  that  there  should  be  more  plants  in  the  background.

At  Kolkata,  plants  are  hardly  available.   Sometime  back  I  tried  with  Cabomba,  but  I  miserably  failed.

I  am  just  waiting  to  get  some  good  background  plants  like  ludwigia  inclinata  cuba/Hygro  Augustifolia  etc.  I  have  kept  some  bog  wood  in  the  aquarium  at  behind  to  keep  space  for  this  purpose.  I  will  remove  those  when  I  will  get  appropriate  plants.

Please  suggest  me  some  good  background  plants.
 Regards

Rana
sundar
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:43 pm Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Hi

Rana

You  can  try  these.
 1.Rotala  Rotundifolia
 2.Alternanthera  Reinickii
 3.Luduigia  Repens
 4.Didiplis  Diandra
 5.Hygrophila  Corymbosa  Stricta

You  may  get  this  from  Mr  Jayseelan  of  Pondichery  and  his  Mobile  No  098430  84746.

Regards
 Sundar
aditi
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:34 pm Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Rana

I  didn't  expected  this  much  honestly.  Its  fantastic!  Thanks  for  your  help.

Regards
 Aditi
brojo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:38 pm Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Rana
 I  find  it  strange  that  you  failed  with  cabombas,  especially  when  you  have  other  difficult  plants  growing  so  well.  I  always  thought  cabombas  were  actually  very  easy  when  you  have  strong  light  and  decent  fertlisation.  In  my  tank  they  are  pearling.  But  then,  of  course  I  have  them  in  a  room  that  gets  plenty  of  sunlight  in  the  mornings  plus  MH.  
 Ludwigia  should  be  easy  to  source  in  Guliff  Street.  If  you  think  there  is  some  shaded  area  in  your  tank  where  you  could  place  a  nana,  do  let  me  know.  
 Sudipto
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Hi  Sudipto,
   Red  Cabomba  is  a  tough  plant  to  grow  and  requires  too  much  light  ferti  co2...  

Yeh!!!  

But  whats  strange  is  Hc  growning  so  stunningly  but  not  Cabomba.

raghu
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:02 pm Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Hi  Rana

Lovely  tank!.You  have  a   very  strong  foreground,  love  the  combination  of  stones  with  HC  on  the  right  side.  Will  strongly  reccomend  a  black  background  instead  of  the  blue.  As  already  said  the  portion  from  the  middle  to  the  left  at  the  rear  of  the  tank  looks  very  blank,  Rotala  Rotundifolia,  Didipilis  Diandra,  hetherenthera,  ambuliaor  any  echinodorus  will  be  a  good  inclusions.  Just  one  request  please  post  a  pic  with  a  full  frontal  view.  Will  look  forward  to  that!   Smile  

Regards

Harshal.
brojo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:34 pm Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

Yes  Raghu  -  that's  what  foxes  me.  Probably  they  need  some  extra  Fe  also  which  he  doesn't  dose?  Could  that  be  a  reason?  But  anyway,  Rana's  tank  looks  nice,  given  the  kind  of  hurdles  he  has  to  overcome.  

Harshal  -  did  you  get  my  pm  about  the  phone  number  you  sought?
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:02 pm Post subject: Re: Request for suggestions for improving aquascaping Reply with quote

To  keep  Red  Cabomba  at  its  best  it  needs  a  good  iron  rich  substrate.

Strong  lighting  ,  Co2  and  regular  fertilization  are  also  needed.

It  also  needs  a  low  PH  of  around  6  to  7.

If  you  don't  have  an  iron  rich  substrate  in  your  tank  I  suggest  you  create  one  for  the  Red  cabomba  in  a  suitable  pot  or  dish  and  place  it  back  in  your  aquarium.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: