260. Guest
261. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,848

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Why all the fuss !?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Why all the fuss !?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funguykk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:06 am Post subject: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

Alright.,  fuss  might  not  be  the  most  polite  word.,  but  it's  to  get  your  attention  Smile  .  I'm  new  to  IAH  but  not  new  to  freshwater  aquariums.  I  had  two  almost  200-225  L  aquariums  for  various  reasons  as  moving  houses  and  education  n  stuff.  

My  point  is.,  I've  had  each  of  those  two  aquariums  running  for  pretty  long  time  with  lots  of  healthy  fish,  good  plants  and  quite  a  few  batches  of  their  fry.  I  never  ever  knew  about  silent  or  any  other  cycling  or  PH  Balance  or  temperature  or  Nitrate  balance  or  bacteria  or  anything.  All  I  did  was  timely  water  changing  (Full  tank  !!)   ,  live  worms  as  food,  and  some  local  blue  liquid  being  sold  as  fish  medicine,  didnt  know  if  it  worked.,  but  it  gave  the  water  a  beautiful  color  !  

All  I'm  saying  is.,  I've  had  healthy  aquariums  with  very  very  few  dead  fish  for  almost  a  total  time  period  of  about  5  years  without  doing  it  the  'proper'  way.  Was  I  being  lucky  for  5  whole  years  or  is  that  all  really  necessary  ?  

Just  curious.....  Smile  
codename
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:20 am Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

hi,

funguykk  welcome  to  IAH.  please  let  us  know  the  fishes  that  you  had.  

with  regards

sampath
ravi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:01 am Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

Hi  Funguykk,

If  you  don't  have  a  problem,  there  is  no  fuss.  If  your  system  works  for  you,  then,  it's  proper  way  for  you.  Have  fun.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:01 am Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

Be  happy.  I  would  like  to  know  the  names  of  the  good  plants  you  had.  Smile
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:08 am Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

KK

Welcome  to  IAH.......  Thumb Up  

Have  fun  while  looking  at  your  fishes...  Very Happy
funguykk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:39 am Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

Hi  ppl  !  Thanks  for  all  those  nice  words  .,  I  sure  did  have  a  gr888  time  watching  those  fish  in  my  aquarium.  At  that  time,  I  really  didnt  have  any  knowledge  about  the  names  of  any  plants  and  many  of  the  fishes  I  had.  I  just  knew  by  experience  which  fish  and  which  plants  would  grow  without  any  problems.

I  did  look  up  for  some  names  on  the  net  and  I  recognised  these  plants  that  I  had  back  then,  Dwarf  Bacopa,  Green  Cabomba,  Dwarf  Hygrophila,  Dwarf  Ambulia,  Amazon  Sword  and  mostly  a  plant  that  looked  like  grass.  

As  far  as  the  fish  are  concerned,  I  had  a  lot  of  varieties  that  I  used  to  exchange  for  other  fish  when  they  grew  big.  

As  far   as  I  can  remember,  I  had  many  batches  of  gold  fish,  angel  fish,  many  varieties  of  live  bearers  like  guppies  n  platies  n  sword  tails,  quite  a  few  varieties  of  gouramis  (  usually  had  one  variety  in  the  tank  at  a  time),  tiger  barbs,  cheryy  barbs,  common  plecos,  some  variety  of  eels  and  tiger  loaches,  occassionally  Freiberg's  Mbunas,  and  a  few  flat  n  round  shapped  spotted  fish  whose  name  I  can't  remember.

Those  are  a  LOT  of  fish,  but  it's  an  exhaustive  list,  all  the  fishes  I  had  over  the  years.

Ya,  ya,  I  sould  like  a  newbie  when  I  talk  about  my  aquariums,  but  I  guess  there's  the  'right'  professional  way  of  doing  things  and  there's  the  other  way  of  doing  things.  I  think  i'm  ready  to  try  out  the  cycling  and  biological  bacteria  process.  Can't  wait  to  get  my  new  tank  !  Very Happy

Gr8  site  this  is,  very  nice  to  get  info  from  Indian  aquarists  that  are  more  suited  to  our  local  conditions.  Smile
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:52 am Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

Hi  funguykk,
   Before  being  called  by  an  ID,  Please  introduce  your  self.   Welcome  to  IAH,  Have  fun.

funguykk  wrote  (View  Post):                

All  I'm  saying  is.,  I've  had  healthy  aquariums  with  very  very  few  dead  fish  for  almost  a  total  time  period  of  about  5  years  without  doing  it  the  'proper'  way.  Was  I  being  lucky  for  5  whole  years  or  is  that  all  really  necessary  ?  
 Just  curious.....  Smile  

Buddy  lemme  tell  u  this,  The  first  and  the  fore  most  intention  of  a  good  hobbiest  according  to  me  is  to  have  Zero  dead  fish  and  not  "  few  dead  fish  ".  I  suppose  most  of  the  dedicated  hobbiest  in  IAH  would  accept  this.  Which  means  that  we  care  of  each  and  every  fish  that  we  own  and  not  ok  with  one  or  two  losses.

And  for  this  we  go  to  the  limit  of  exploring  as  to  what  does  it  take  us  to  do  this.  

Raghu
funguykk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:21 pm Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

I  totally  agree.,  my  heart  breaks  when  i  see  even  one  fish  of  mine  sick  or  dead,  it's  just  sad  that  my  learning  of  choosing  healthy  fish  from  the  store  cost  me  the  lives  of  those  4-5  fishes  I  lost  in  all  those  years.  But  at  the  same  time,  I  now  know  how  to  reconise  healthy  fishes  from  others.  

Mistakes  happen,.  everywhere.,  I've  seen  the  biggest  fish  stores  and  a  few  experienced  aquarium  hobbyists  lose  a  few  fish  once  in  a  while  (  I've  spent  a  crazy  amount  of  time  in  fish  stores  and  other's  house  observing  their  aquariums  ).,  because  I  guess  some  elements  are  not  a  100  %  in  our  control.  

But  now,  all  this  has  opened  a  window  into  a  new  world  filled  with  knowledge  I  didnt  know  about.  If  all  this  is  going  to  help  me  the  lives  of  those  'few  fishes',  I'm  certainly  going  to  religiously  follow  those  methods  !

Peace  Smile
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:42 pm Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

Quote:                

Was  I  being  lucky  for  5  whole  years  or  is  that  all  really  necessary  ?                  

It  is  always  'necessary'  for  the  biological  filtration/nitrogen  cycle  et  all  to  kick  off  if  your  fish  are  to  survive  for  long,  apparently  more  than  70%  hobbyists  in  India  either  get  it  'right'  by  chance,  or  keep  on  repeating  the  same  mistakes  and  end  up  with  the  tank  thrown  out/on  the  terrace/to  a  friend.

It  seems  you  belonged  to  the  former  group!   Smile  
 Regards,
 amod.
congo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:47 pm Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

hello  funguykk
                        welcome  to  IAH.  even  i  have  faced  many  such  people  whe  they  ask  such  question.  when  i  try  to  explain,  it  appears  to  them  out  of  way  and  pretend  to  understand.  but  go  by  doing  the  same  thing.
   to  u,  can  u  say  why  u  add  blue  medicine?  how  it  works?  the  reasons  is  ,,  when  u  know  it  ,  then  u  will  apply  it  rightly  rather  using  it  for  colouring  u  r  water.
    for  some  ignorence  in  BLISS..  we  are  not  passing  time  here.  "hobbyist"  means  doing  with  passion  and  dedication.  fish  cycling,  nitrogen  level,  pH  etc  are  not  beliefs  for  aquarium  .  they  are  facts  which  has  to  be  followed.  if  things  are  going  fine  with  u  ,  then  good  luck.  
 mind  it  people  are  here  who  have  been  doing  this  hobby  more  than  15  to  20  years   but  still  they  are  learning,,  i  think  u  would  have  got  my  point  correctly  Thumb Up
fishyfish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:16 pm Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

hey  i  did  the  same  as  funguykk..my  fish  lived  in  my  cement  tank  which  was  at  the  back  of  my  house  .  i  bought  a  pair  of  mollies  of  every  colour  ann  after  few  months  i  got  bored  of  them  so  i  left  them  in  my  cement  tank  with  some  guppies  and  pond  fish  for  almost  3  years,during  this  time  i  didn't  even  feed  them...later  when  i  decided  to  keep  fish  seriously  ann  went  to  the  back  i  found  millions  of  mollies  all  kind  guppies  ann  2  huge  pond  fish   Cheering  Very Happy  ..
brojo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:39 pm Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

One  of  the  reasons  things  are  going  fine  with  you  is  that  you  have  a  large  tank  (two  tanks)  where  the  margin  of  error  can  be  very  high.  And  you  can  afford  to  go  wrong.  Also  you  change  water  regularly  you  say.  So  you  have  done  the  right  thing  without  knowing  it.  Ph  is  not  a  factor  if  you  are  buying  local  fish  from  local  FS  whose  ph  level  is  the  same  as  your  ph  level.  Because  both  of  you  presumably  use  the  same  source  of  water.  Both  of  you  change  it  regularly.  So  no  fuss  really.
 I  started  using  meth  blue  because  my  LFS  guy  told  me  to  -  that  was  some  30  years  ago.  Now  I  know  why  I  use  it.  It  hardly  matters  though.  
 You  can  father  a  child  without  knowing  the  science  of  reproduction  or  gynaecology.  No  one  needs  to  teach  you.  You  can  also  drive  a  car  without  being  an  automobile  engineer.  Only  thing  is  when  your  car  breaks  down  in  the  middle  of  nowhere,  being  familiar  with  automobile  engines  helps.  You  can  always  chuck  the  car  and  get  a  new  one  as  well.  
 Regards
 Sudipto
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 pm Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

welcome  to  IAH  funguy,
 I  guess  you  must  have  heard  the  saying  "Better  late  than  never!"
 Sir,  the  prime  reason  for  'MOST'  of  us  being  here  on  IAH  is  to  educate  oursleves!  We  take  advise  from  people  who  provide  authentic  advice  with  sound  proof  and  scientific  explaination  of  what  happens  and  why?
 We  are  a  bunch  of  aquatic  freaks  who  go  that  extra  mile  to  ensure  that  our  fish  don't  just  survive,  but  thrive  and  that  is  all  that  makes  us  different  from  your  neighbour  hood  aquarist!
 I  must  compliment  not  you  but  your  fish  to  have  the  survival  instinct  and  make  it  through  all  the  ammonia  and  nitrite  spikes  that  they  might  have  experienced  when  you  were  enjoying  their  sight/plight!  We  all  committed  mistakes  in  the  early  days  of  the  hobby  and  confess  it  shamefully  because  when  I  started  fish  keeping  there  was  bare  minimal  information  available  on  the  subject  and  so  had  to  learn  the  hard  way,  but  if  someone  does  that  in  recent  times  I  guess  it  is  either  lack  of  dedication  (which  is  not  the  case  with  you  because  you  feel  bad  for  every  dead  fish!)  or  lack  of  proper  guidance/self  education  (which  I'm  sure  you  will  not  have  a  problem  being  a  member  of  IAH!)
 just  my  two  pence  -  nothing  personal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brojo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:28 pm Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

One  other  thing  I  must  mention  -  while  you  can  always  father  a  child  without  an  advanced  degree  in  reproductive  science,  that  doesn't  however  mean  that  reproductive  science,  gynaecology  etc  are  meaningless  and  unimportant.  Hope  you  get  the  drift   Chuckle
funguykk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:48 am Post subject: Re: Why all the fuss !? Reply with quote

I  looove  the  enthusiasm  here,.  I  really  do  !  Looks  like  i'm  getting  off  to  a  wrong  start  here.  I  joined  this  forum  surely  to  learn  something  and  I  dont  wanna  start  off  with  a  bad  impression.  I'm  not  saying  I  disagree  with  all  the  methods.,  they're  all  completely  new  to  me.  It's  like  some  guy  from  the  70's  who  suddenly  walks  into  the  90's  and  suddenly  everything's  new  and  everybody's  doing  it.  

I  agree  I  was  not  a  perfect  fish  keeper  and  i'm  more  than  ready  to  go  from  an  aquarium  enthusiast  to  an  aquarium  hobbyist.  All  that  to  me  looks  like  hard  work  but  if  it's  gonna  help  me  avoid  even  those  few  mistakes  that  happen.,  it'll  all  be  worth  it  Smile

I  really  love  this  place.,  i  honestly  didnt  think  ppl  from  India  would  take  fish  keeping  so  seriously  and  I'm  now  so  proud.  I  would  love  to  see  more  articles  from  users  and  more  pictures  of  everybody's  aquariums.  

Peace  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: