81. Guest
82. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,374

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ks
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:06 pm Post subject: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Hi,

Just  wanted  to  know  which  among  the  following  is  the  best  bet.  Need  some  suggestions  for  setting  up  a  3  footer  for  one  of  my  friends.

Also  wanted  to  share  my  findings  on  the  above:

1)  He  cant  afford  the  cost  of  a  good  quality  Flowerhorn.
 2)  Nowadays,  True  Midas  are  hard  to  find.
 3)  Almost  all  red  devils  have  black  lineage.

With  these  constraints  in  mind,  i  am  finding  it  difficult  to  suggest  the  best  option  for  him.

Please  share  your  experiences  and  suggest  the  best  option.

Thanks
 KS
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:16 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Well  either  he  will  have  to  up  his  budget  or  then  compramise..
 U  do  get  cheap  flowerhorns  as  well  but  you  cant  say  waht  they  will  turn  out  to  be..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ks
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:34 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Yes,  cheap  quality  stuff  is  available  in  plenty  here.  I  didnt  want  to  recommend  that.  Thumb Down
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:58 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

exactly  thats  what  i  said  he  cant  have  the  best  fish  without  paying  a  price  for  it...my  bet  would  be  a  decent  quality  flower  horn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:14 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

I  suggest  for  a  FlowerHorn..  Thumb Up

Last edited by DJ_Rocky on Thu May 03, 2007 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
indianoscar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:07 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Hey  KS,  

If  i'm  right  the  Flowerhorn  boom  is  out  of  Aquahobby.  (The  FH  hype  was  just  like  our  Indian  Cricket  Team's  performance  in  WCC  recently   ROFL  .  hyped  to  the  peak  by  media  and  vanished  all  of  a  sudden  hmm.  but  still  have  few  workshippers).   Note:  Inbetween,  i  do  keep  FH   Chuckle  

A  premium  quality  FH  cost  you  a  bomb.  If  your  friend  is  crazy  with  hybrids,  then  you  could  suggest  him  FH  again.  Even  for  couple  of  hundred  rupees,  he  could  be  able  to  pick  a  6  Inch  local  flowerhorn  with  all  potentials.  

The  newest  trend  of  hybrid  now  is  SRT.  But,  when  i  enquired  about  the  pricing  of  Super  Red  Texas  (SRT),  i  was  told  it  cost  about  12K  (for  2.5  Inch  A++  Grade)  and  about  7.5  K  (for  B  grade).  Now,  the  hybrid  maniacs  overseas  are  after  these  SRT.  

My  simple  question  is,  when  you  have  1000's  of  true  species  Cichlid,  why  do  you  need  to  go  for  hybrids.  I  suggest  any  of  the  following  3  species,  and  they  can  always  be  a  better  substitude  for  FH  and  are  far  better  to  observe  and  learn  the  cichlid  behaviours.  

a)  'Cichlasoma'  trimaculatum  (Three-spot  cichlid  /  or  Trimac)
 But,  Definitely  you  will  not  get  a  true  species  of  it  in  India.  Maybe  if  your  friend  is  new  to  hobby  and  influenced  by  FH,  i  feel  that  he  will  not  be  impressed  by  a  trimac  and  might  comment  that  it  is  worst  looking  than  a  local  flowerhorn.   ROFL  

b)  Amphilophus  citrinellus  (Midas  cichlid)

c)  Amphilophus  labiatus  (Red  Devil  Cichlid)

Are  they  cichlid  cousins,  or  nearly  identical  twins?   Smile  .  Hey,  i  feel  either  a  midas  or  red  devil  is  always  better  than  a  Flowerhorn.  

You  can  find  some  red  devils  /  midas  with  excellent  deep  red  colors,  where  even  the  colored  red  parrots  are  put  to  shame  in  terms  of  redness.  The  orange-white  morph  ,  or  red-white  morphs  are  excellent  too.  

Always  midas  /  red  devil  are  very  much  better  than  FH  in  terms  of  aggressiveness,  appeal,  true  coloration,  and  what  more,  they  resembles  more  in  body  shape  to  a  FH.  

Inbetween,  when  compared  to  midas  and  red  devil,  go  for  midas  if  you  want  a  good  nuchal  hump.  

Here  is  a  good  article  about  red  devil  /  midas  etc  with  pictorial  sketch  to  differentiate  or  identify  a  midas  from  red  devil.  

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=106  (Article  by  By  Paul  V.  Loiselle,  1982).  

Here  is  one  of  the  worlds  largest  Midas  Photo  Gallery.  No  wonder,  why  people  fall  in  love  with  this...  
 http://www.midas-cichlid.com/midas_pictures.html

And  here  is  a  link  to  the  profile  of  midas
 http://www.tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/fish_profiles_citrinellus.php

Note:  Regarding  the  black  lineage  about  red  devil  (and  even  with  midas),  actually  they  appear  only  on  poor  water  conditions  or  excess  hot  climate.  You  need  not  worry  about  the  black  lineages  or  shades.  Even  if  you  pick  a  100%  red  colored  midas  /  red  devil,  these  black  lineage  might  appear  and  vanish  some  times.  

I  was  told  by  a  breeder,  that  ,  rearing  midas  /  red  devil  in  green  water  (i  guess,  it  is  the  pond  algage  water)  turn  them  to  deep  blood  red  color  very  sooner.
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:51 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

i  thought  midas  were  not  tolerant  to  their  own  kind  forget  other  fish..but  in  the  pics  in  the  link  above  i  have  seen  them  with  convicts  and  jaguars  and  sevarums  and  other  midas  in  one  tank..is  that  true??
indianoscar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:06 am Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Hey  Hamza

I've  a  4  Feet  Tank  with  11  Midas  +  3  Red  Devil  (All  mixed  color  morphs,  from  orange,  white,  piebald,  barred,  red-white  etc).  Most  of  them  are  between  4  Inches  to  6.5  Inches.  They  are  together  for  more  than  45  days  and  not  a  problem  so  far.  

In  another  4  feet  tank,  i've  4  Red  Devil  (1  Male  +  3  Female)  and  2  oscars.  All  above  5  inches.  They  are  all  together  for  more  than  4  months,  and  not  any  problem  so  far.  

Infact,  i  dont  recommend  this  combination  to  anyone.  As  you  said  generally  midas  are  not  tolerant  to  their  own  kind.  Infact,  it  is  true  with  every  cichlids  like  flowerhorns,  midas,  devil,  etc  is  it.  

In  my  personal  experience  Oscars,  Green  Terrors  etc  are  lesser  aggressive  than  convicts  and  flowerhorns.   In  a  mixed  community  cichlid  stocking  tank,  2  inch  female  convict  chases  3.5  and  5  inch  green  terrors  (though  not  attacking).  Even  3  inch  flowerhorn  is  agressive  than  5  to  6  inch  green  terror  and  oscars.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:19 am Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Jacob,

What  about  when  they  all  will  grown  up  till  there  full  size...Confused...  I  dont  think  that  they  will  tolerate  each  other  any  more..Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
indianoscar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:10 am Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Rocky  ,  

No  worries,  they  wont  stay  together  for  long  time.  Either  when  i  confirm  a  pair,  they  will  be  seperated  accordingly  or  moved  to  another  tank  and  some  will  be  exchanged  or  sold  in  due  course.  

I  do  plan  to  develop  hump  for  some  midas.  Some  are  showing  good  potentials  now.  Any  ideas  or  tips?.  

Will  keeping  them  individually  in  2  feet  tank  (with  mirrors  on  side)  work?.  Or  some  hump  booster  foods  usually  given  for  FH  helps?.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:45 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Jacob,

Quote:                
Will  keeping  them  individually  in  2  feet  tank  (with  mirrors  on  side)  work?.  Or  some  hump  booster  foods  usually  given  for  FH  helps?.                

I  think  putting  mirrors  on  any  side  will  get  him  stress..  Smile  

Yes..!!  there  are  some  hump  booster  foods  availbale  for  FH,  but  I  dont  think  so  that  hump  will  develop  by  feeding  this  only,  You  have  to  maintain  the  water  quality  also  &  have  to  give  him  some  live  feeder,  market  prawns  on  daily  basis  along  with  hump  booster  food...  Thumb Up  

Quote:                
I  do  plan  to  develop  hump  for  some  midas.  Some  are  showing  good  potentials  now.                

If  you  already  have  any  plan  for  this,  please  share  with  us..  Smile
mitra-hyderabad
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:00 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

indianoscar  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  do  plan  to  develop  hump  for  some  midas.  Some  are  showing  good  potentials  now.  Any  ideas  or  tips?.  

feeding  them  with   market  prawns  and  adding  coral  chips(Increasing  the  Ph  )  helps  in  growing  the  hump  better.  Smile

I  doubt  if  the  so  called  hump  booster  commercial  foods  would  actually  work.  Any  guys  have  experience  with  those??
winston
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:10 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Flowerhorns----->the  nauchal  hump  depends  on  the  genes  ofcourse,
 but  accourding  to  my  friends  who  used  to  breed  floe\wer  horns  once  he  told  me  tthat  evry  fh  has  to  get  hump  but  the  size  of  tat  hump  depends  on  genes  and  ya  its  importnt  to  get  the  fh  aggresive  for  hump  and  for  nutrition  you  need  to  feed  fat  composed  feed  in  adequate  amnt  not  much  cause  more  of  fat  can  cause  stomach  probs.i  have  a  fh  hes  4inch  but  a  good  developing  hump,ill  surely  put  a  pic
ks
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:52 am Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Guys,

My  friend  has  zeroed  in  on  Red  devils.  He  has  got  4  nos  of  red  devils  (lucky  to  get  deep  reds)  last  weekend.

Premium  quality  FH's  come  with  a  price  which  he  could'nt  afford.

He  also  tried  for  true  midas,  but  hard  luck.

Regarding  head  boosters  for  FH's.  i  have  heard  that  there  is  a  special  feed  called  chingmix  which  they  claim  has  done  wonders  in  boosting  the  hump.  Has  anyone  tried  it??

Thanks
 KS
indianoscar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:29 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Hey  KS,  

Good  to  hear  that  your  friend  have  picked  red  devil.  Offcourse  midas  and  red  devil  are  a  better  choice  than  flowerhorn.  

I  am  sorry  ,  i  couldn't  provide  you  midas  ,  when  you  enquired  last  week  as  my  stock  got  sold  immediately.  I  can  get  your  friend  midas  /  and  devil  ,  if  you  are  still  interested,  as  i'm  expecting  few  more  in  this  weekend.  

Regarding  HEADBOOSTERS  for  FH,  i'm  surprised  how  did  you  found  about  chingmix,  the  newest  trend.  

They  do  have  few  varieties  available  namely  Head  booster  SP  50/  Maxima  3  in  1  (Head  /  Color  /  Pearl  booster)  etc.  

Feedbacks,  i'll  give  you  in  3  weeks,  as  i'm  expecting  my  trial  order  of  Chingmix  in  2  weeks.  

I'  heard  hump,  color  and  pearl  develops  in  just  5  days.  Let  us  wait  and  see.  I  also  hope,  these  are  only  gene  enhancers  (as  the  food  makers  claim)  and  not  any  harmful  hormones  etc.  

The  people  who  used  it  told  me,  they  were  surprised  with  results  in  just  1  weeks  time.  And  the  progress  result  photos  i  saw  on  their  website  was  also  inspiring.  Hope,  they  were  not  fake  pictures  to  boost  this  product  sales.  

Anyhow,  let  me  risk  this  food,  and  wait  and  see.  And,  i'll  give  you  feedback  in  2  to  3  weeks  time  from  now.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: