188. Guest
189. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,815

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ks
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:37 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Hi  Jacob,

Actually  my  friend  didnt  have  the  patience  to  wait.  It  normally  happens  when  an  empty  tank  is  at  home.  Chuckle  

Regarding  chingmix,  i  saw  the  article  in  some  websites,  but  i  dont  recollect  the  website  now.  Anyhow  do  keep  me  posted  on  the  developments  and  new  stock  arrivals.

Thanks
 KS
indianoscar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Hi  KS,  

I'll  update  you  with  performance  of  Chingmix  ,  the  head  boosters  for  flowerhorn  /  midas  etc.  

Inbetween,  i  have  heard  very  very  good  positive  feedback  from  my  friends  abroad  on  another  product  for  nuchal  hump  development  for  flowerhorns.  

I'm  also  on  the  process  of  ordering  this,  and  will  update  you  on  this.  That  product  is  http://www.grandsumo.com/
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:22 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Quote:                
I'  heard  hump,  color  and  pearl  develops  in  just  5  days.                  

Surprised   Surprised   Surprised   Surprised  

ROFL  really  I  cant  belive...  just  in  5  days...Confused  ...  Surprised  

Jacob

please  let  us  know  the  feedback  as  soon  as  possible,  by  the  way  will  you  pm  me  the  price  for  this,  just  for  my  personal  query..   Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:24 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Indian  Oscar  would  it  be  possible  for  u  to  order  some  boxes  of  this  chingmix  for  me?Whats  the  price?
 Has  anyone  else  seen  this  in  mumbai  by  any  chance?because  i  have  heard  its  extremely  good  and  will  do  wonders  for  a  flowerhorn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:27 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Grandsumo  is  well  worth.....  I  have  used  it  once,  one  of  my  friend  got  it  for  me  from  Malaysia,  but  very  sadly  I  have  to  say...  this  food  is  not  availabe  in  Thailand,  atleast  I  have  not  seen  this  yet  in  Bangkok.  Sad

Last edited by DJ_Rocky on Wed May 09, 2007 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:31 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

yes  Rocky  many  people  have  cliamed  that  ching  mix  shows  difference  in  days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
indianoscar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:11 am Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Chingmix  Progress  (color,  hump,  pearl  growth)  report  pictures,  with  time  frame  is  very  impressive.  But,  still  we  cannot  assure  this,  unless  we  experience  this  ourself.  

I've  risked  ordering  this  expensive  food  and  expecting  that  in  another  2  weeks.  Same  time,  i  do  fear,  if  this  fish  food  have  any  harmful  hormones  or  color  enhancers.   

As  i  mentioned  earlier,  the  results  are  claimed  to  be  shown  in  5  to   6  days.  Earlier  there  was  a  day  by  day  progress  result  thread,  but  i  couldn't  find  them.  Anyhow,  check  these  two  threads.  

http://www.chingmix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43

http://www.chingmix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52

Here  is  a  growth  variance  in  55  to  60  days.  
 http://www.chingmix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41

Inbetween,  i  am  not  buying  this  to  feed  Flowerhorns.  But,  to  feed  GT  and  Midas   Very Happy.  I  dont  want  to  feed  this  to  my  2.5  Inch  burundis,  just  for  they  might  look  awesome  bad  to  have  hump  at  a  juvenile  stage.
Blade
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:08 am Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Hey  i  would  really  like  to  kno  more  abt  chingmix  pls  share  your  experience  with  chingmix  Smile
potteypot
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:54 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

sounds  gr8....the  color  enhance  and  the  hump  looks  damn  amazing  in  a  matter  of  so  miniature  period......  Please  keep  us  posted  about  the  developments  jacob
arnabroy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:56 pm Post subject: Flowerhorns, alias Nightmares Reply with quote

If  you  really  love  your  fish  then  dont  ever  let  a  flowerhorn  in  your  aquarium..

Even  I  was  thinking  about  getting  a  flowerhorn  a  few  days  back  and  then  this  article  served  as  an  eye  opener  for  me...

Please  read  this  article  carefully  and  let  me  know  your  views  on  this...

Flowerhorns,  alias  Nightmares  

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Soodhanan_Flowerhorns.html

by  Madhu  Soodhanan
 of  Tamil  Nadu,  India
 Aquarticles

Quote:                
Conclusion  
 Aquariums  should  be  considered  to  be  miniature  versions  of  natural  habitats.  Even  though  we  are  not  able  to  establish  perfect  ecosystems  in  our  aquariums,  we  can  try  to  provide  environments  as  close  as  possible  to  natural  habitats  to  enjoy  their  beauty.  

-  If  you  buy  a  flowerhorn  for  the  nuchal  hump,  take  a  look  at  the  frontosa  (Cyphotilapia  frontosa)  a  Tanganyikan  cichlid.  When  left  in  small  groups  in  a  big  enough  tank  the  dominant  male  develops  a  hump  which  no  flowerhorn  will  produce.  
 -  If  colour  is  what  you  seek  in  a  fish,  then  take  a  look  at  the  redheaded  cichlid  (Cichlasoma  synspilum).  It's  got  all  the  colours  of  the  rainbow.  
 -  If  you  desire  black  markings,  a  trimac  (Cichlasoma  trimaculatum)  has  a  distinct  pattern.  
 -  If  you  are  looking  for  pearls,  consider  the  Texas  cichlid  (Cichlasoma  cyanoguttatum).  

If  there  are  natural  specimens  that  have  all  the  traits  one  expects  in  terms  of  sheer  beauty  then  why  go  for  the  man-made  stuff?  There  are  1500+  known  species  of  cichlids  in  the  wild  and  hundreds  with  striking  beauty  and  amazing  personalities  available  to  the  hobby.  This  availability  is  rich  enough  to  fit  anyone's  need.  Let  us  respect  Mother  Nature.  Doing  something  awful  is  not  difficult  but  the  consequences  would  have  to  be  faced.  As  far  as  we  know  only  one  planet  holds  the  key  to  create,  support  and  cycle  a  phenomenon  called  Life.  Let  us  not  cheapen  it  or  take  it  for  granted.  

So  STOP  BUYING  HYBRIDS,  and  if  you  ever  come  across  one  never  hesitate  to  kill  it.  Even  if  your  conscience  doesn't  allow  you  to  kill  it  NEVER  THROW  IT  INTO  ANY  WATERSHED.  We  as  a  species  have  the  power  to  conserve  nature's  creations  but  do  not  have  the  right  to  redesign  them.  So  say  no  to  hybrids,  hormone  induced  fishes  and  genetically  redesigned  species.  Remember,  when  the  buying  stops,  the  production  will  too.                

Last edited by arnabroy on Tue May 08, 2007 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
potteypot
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:32 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

First  to  say  that  is  one  hell  of  a  big  essay  u  put  up  there  buddy.

Quote:                
Here  is  a  case  study:  
 There  is  a  small  pond  called  Ammapet  pond  in  my  locality  (in  the  state  of  Tamil  Nadu,  India)  with  an  area  of  around  4  sq.  kms.  Many  barbs,  mosquito  fish,  a  few  Asian  native  cichlids  such  as  Etroplus  maculatus  (orange  chromide)  and  Etroplus  suratensis,  and  a  rich  vegetation  of  hydra  and  other  water  weeds  used  to  call  that  lake  home.  Some  flowerhorns  were  released  into  the  pond  by  a  few  hobbyists.  These  flowerhorns  grew  to  around  12"  in  the  wild  and  bred  there.  The  smaller  species  including  orange  chromides  were  taken  as  lunch.  Green  chromides  were  bullied  and  massacred  by  these  aggressive  creatures.  There  were  no  fish  to  feed  on  the  vegetation  and  the  water  level  depleted.  There  were  no  mosquito  fish  to  feed  on  mosquito  eggs  and  the  pond  became  a  breeding  spot  for  mosquitoes.  The  entire  ecological  balance  of  the  pond  was  ruined  by  just  a  handful  of  flowerhorns.  

Why  the  hell  people  want  to  put  their  fishes  in  a  pond.  Just  to  create  an  imbalance  in  the  ecosystem.  Dude  these  guys  are  not  called  as  hobbyists.

By  nature  itself  there  has  been  some  crossing  done  which  has  been  accepted.  A  lizard  in  our  houses  were  not  in  the  same  size  of  what  they  are  now  than  they  were  during  the  triassic  period.....

The  last  line  you  said  "when  the  buying  stops  the  production  can  too"-  is  that  thought  taken  from  discovery  channel  which  said  "when  the  buying  stops  the  killing  can  too".  He  hehe  no  harm  buddy  just  for  fun.  

We  cant  kill  a  fish  like  that  if  we  see  a  hybrid,  they  are  also  a  living  being  on  this  earth  produced  not  artificially  like  cloning  but  by  maybe  mixing  two  nearly  equivalent  fishes.  

I  do  accept  that  we  need  to  stop  buying  hybrids  and  stick  on  to  originals...but  all  these  was  not  meant  for  this  topic.  we  started  somewre  and  land  up  in  some   other  planet.  Dude  we  can  create  a  new  topic  and  talk  about  this  in  it....

Good  points  though
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:35 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Hi  Arnabroy,
      Madhu  (madhu_ulysses  on  IAH)  is  a  regular  poster   with  1105  sensible  and  useful  posts  on  IAH.  There  is  no  need  to  cut  and  paste  his  article  from  Aquarticles.  A  link  will  suffice.
 For  your  information  'Horward  Norfolk'  the  founding  editor  of  Aquarticles  who  is  no  more  was  a  paid  lifetime  member  of  the  Aquarist  Society  of  Karnataka,  Bangalore.  He  contributed  his  entire  lifetime  collection  of  Aqua  books  and  magazines  to  our  society.
 http://aquarticles.com/articles/people/norfolk_ask.html
arnabroy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:03 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Arnabroy,
   Â   Madhu  (madhu_ulysses  on  IAH)  is  a  regular  poster  Â with  1105  sensible  and  useful  posts  on  IAH.  There  is  no  need  to  cut  and  paste  his  article  from  Aquarticles.  A  link  will  suffice.
 For  your  information  'Horward  Norfolk'  the  founding  editor  of  Aquarticles  who  is  no  more  was  a  paid  lifetime  member  of  the  Aquarist  Society  of  Karnataka,  Bangalore.  He  contributed  his  entire  lifetime  collection  of  Aqua  books  and  magazines  to  our  society.
 http://aquarticles.com/articles/people/norfolk_ask.html                

Ya  i  am  a  big  fan  of  aquaarticles  and  I  got  to  know  about  IAH  from  this  particular  website  only  (where  I  read  about  bangalores  aquarium  legends  like  you,  raj,  madan,  and  adip  in  "Aquarists  of  Bangalore")http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/people/norfolk_rajkumar.html

However,  I  did  not  know  Madu  Soodanan  was  also  a  member  of  this  forum..  His  article  served  as  an  eye  opener  for  me  of  sorts..  Can  we  have  a  debate  on  this..  It  will  be  great  if  you  can  make  this  a  separate  thread...  or  has  this  article  been  debated  earlier  in  this  forum??  if  yes,  then  it  will  be  great  if  you  can  give  me  the  link  of  that  debate...
Blade
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:35 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

we  sud  better  get  a  new  forum  to  debate  on  this  never  lasting  topic.
 It  shud  be  called  ANTI  FLOWER  HORN.

But  whtever  u  say  i  do  not  support  this  article  u  have  posted.
arnabroy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:50 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorns / Midas / Red devils Reply with quote

Blade  wrote  (View  Post):                
we  sud  better  get  a  new  forum  to  debate  on  this  never  lasting  topic.
 It  shud  be  called  ANTI  FLOWER  HORN.

But  whtever  u  say  i  do  not  support  this  article  u  have  posted.                

and  may  I  know  why??

pls  also  read  this  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1300&highlight=flowerhorn

and  this

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1458&highlight=flowerhorn
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: