186. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,750

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Muthu Marine Setup
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Muthu Marine Setup
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:49 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

muthu  diatoms  are  darker  a  more  brownish  color  so  if  you  see  purple  colored  patches  on  the  LR  you  are  right  it  must  be  coralline  algae!  Keep  your  calcium  levels  up  and  dose  the  tank  regularly.  see  that  your  pH  never  drops  below  the  8.2  mark  and  you  will  soon  see  a  very  beautiful  coralline  encrusting  your  tank  (including  the  tank  glass).
 Most  important  -  water  temp.  should  not  exceed  27*C
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Scratch  it  with  your  nail.
 Diatoms  will  just  wipe  off.  If  it  is  very  hard  and  encrusted  then  its  coralline.
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:33 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Hi  all  i  like  to  dose  the  KALKWASSER  to  the  tank

Is  Kalkwasser  is  nothing  but  Lime  Water,  Can  i  prepare  a  lime  water  by  getting  a  lime  which  is  used  by  Pan  Shop.

The  dripping  procedure  i  saw  Pradeep  forum  where  aqascapes  as  mentioned

â€œAttach  an  air-line  to  the  bottle  and  the  other  end  of  the  air-line  should  be  attached  to  the  powerhead's  air  venturi  inlet  and  the  bottle  should  be  placed  higher  than  the  tank  this  way  you  can  get  a  better  result  with  the  drip!  "
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:53 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

You  can  get  Calcium  Hydroxide  itself,  lab  grade  from  Pharma  Shops  or  from  Shabbir  of  Bharat  Aquarium,  Shivajinagar.  Its  pretty  cheap  and  easily  available.

I  used  the  drip  method  with  good  effect  but  when  I  felt  lazy,  I  would  just  dissolve  a  half  teaspoon  of  Kalk  in  a  mug  of  water.

Wait  of  the  sediment  to  settle  down  and  decant  the  liquid  into  the  path  of  the  powerhead  at  lights  off.  The  water  will  sometimes  go  cloudy,  but  I  never  had  any  deaths  due  to  that  method.

That  said,  I  am  not  sure  if  it  was  due  to  luck  so  use  that  method  only  when  you  feel  confident.
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:26 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

drip  calcium  hyroxide  slowly.
 Calcium  ions  in  the  solution  dripped  needs   to  find   co2  in  you  tank  to  form  bi-carbonate.

Please  read  the  below  link  
 http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html

Rahul
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:28 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Muthu,
 nice  reading!
 I  am  really  happy  that  you  are  reading  up  on  the  subject!  keep  up  the  good  work!
 Now,  first  we  need  to  know  what  is  it  that  you  ultimately  see  in  the  tank  -  I  guess  it  is  coralline  if  so  yes  the  coralline  alone  can  be  a  major  consumer  of  calcium  and  the  calcium  levels  in  the  tank  have  to  be  maintained  to  ensure  a  good  coralline  growth.
 Dose  the  kalk  in  the  evenings  just  before  or  after  lights  off  and  ensure  that  you  drip  the  calcium  into  the  system  yes  the  method  that  you  point  out  is  the  most  efficient  one  (I  have  tried  it  and  am  happy  with  the  outcome)  because  you  can  control  the  drip  by  a  airline  control  (the  control  that  you  normally  get  to  control  the  air  pressure)  and  dose  the  tank  drop  by  drop  another  advantage  you  will  have  with  this  method  is  that  the  calcium  will  be  introduced  in  the  tank  through  the  power  head  so  will  get  mixed  in  the  water  column  faster  and  more  evenly.
 Equally  important  is  magnesium  suppliment  (you  could  make  it  yourself  by  the  common  MgSo4  (epsom  salt)  sachets  you  get  at  the  medical  shops)  -  search  the  net  for  articles  regarding  calcium  and  magnesium  dosings  for  the  reef  and  you  will  understand  it  better  if  in  doubt  post  here  so  that  we  can  help  you  better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:16 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Thank  Aquascapes,  Of  course  i  have  gone  through  Marine  forums,  before  setting  up  my  tank,  there  are  lots  of  guidelines  shared  by  IAH  members,  which  i  am  applying  to  setup  the  tank,  because  i  had  nil  experience  in  marine.  Only  for  the  last  4  months  what  i  read  is  being  applied.  I  know,  need  to  study  a  lot  to  understand  better  and  maintain.

Really  IAH  is  best  guide  for  Indian  people  in  terms  of  utilizing  the  resource  that  are  available  in  India  to  do  the  setup  and  maintain.

On  to  my  tank  Update,  yes  i  am  to  see  the  coralline  algae  growth  on  few  LR  and  also  from  Yesterday  i  am  seeing  some  light  brown  patches  on  few  LR  that  should  be  the  DIATOM,  i  believe  it  may  get  bit  darker  as  day  progress,  as  of  now  have  not  dosed  any  Calcium  to  the  tank,  will  dose  on  Friday.

Muthu
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:11 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

Â   I  recently  introduced  3  Damsels  and  a  Goby  to  cycle  the  tank  and  are  looking  good,  and  i  am  feeding  them  with  Marine  Flakes  and  Brine  Shrimp

The  tank  is  in  Diatom  phase,  u  can  see  it  my  latest  picture.

Water  parameters  are  pretty  good

PH  8.2
 NO3  Equal  to  zero
 Salinity  1.021

Tried  to  get  some  Calcium  Hydroxide  at  few  medical  shop  but  was  not  there  and  also  tried  Bharat  aquarium  no  stock  need  to  wait  till  Tuesday.  What  is  the  general  name  for  Calcium  Hydroxide  and  Epsom  Salt  can  any  one  reply..??

Last edited by Muthu_Blr on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:33 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Tank  looking  pretty  good  Thumb Up  

Epsom  salt  is  Magnesium  Sulphate  and  its  common  name  is  "Epsom  Salt"  Very Happy  
 Easily  available  at  most  medical  stores.  

Calcium  Hydroxide  as  far  as  I  know  is  Kalkwasser  in  reefers  language,  or  lime.  Food  grade  lime  can  be  used  too.
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:27 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Sad  but  true,  I  lost  my  BTA  yesterday..!

What  happened  is  BTA  was  planted  under  sand  and  was  almost  in  the  same  place  for  a  week,  but  fortunately  yesterday  he  came  out  and  has  got  stuck  to  the  under  water  pump  used  for  Skimmer  no  one  notices  it,  when  i  reached  home  saw  it  immediately  and  tried  to  save.  Removed  the  pump  and  placed  it  in  a  small  bucket  of  water  and  waited  till  morning  never  came  out  and  finally  tried  to  take  him  out  but  found  dead,  May  be  happened  due  to  the  force  of  water  which  was  sucking  all  the  time  when  it  was  trapped  by  the  pump.

A  experience  for  me  and  i  am  also  posting  the  image  how  it  got  trapped  so  all  Marine  Hobbyist  please  take  care  of  all  inlet  to  be  covered  by  any  kind  of  mesh  so  nothing  gets  Trapped  or  Sucked.

It  happened  due  to  my  Neglect,  i  taught  lets  cover  the  pump  with  the  mesh  next  week  as  my  BTA  was  firmly  sitting  under  the  sand,  but  fortunate  i  lost,  seconds  of  silence  for  him..!

I  am  very  lucky  that  none  of  the  BTA  split  has  entered  the  tank  as  i  used  a  sponge  at  the  outlet  of  Skimmer,  in  the  sponge  two  tip  of  BTA  was  found,  washed  the  sponge  well  and  placed  in  tank  again.

PIC  of  BTA  got  trapped

Muthu
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:08 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

aquascapes  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hey  Muthu,
 well  buddy  I  had  some  pointers  from  your  pictures  and  am  discussing  them  here:
 If  you  can  see  the  attached  picture  below  you  will  notice  that  I  have  marked  some  zones  in  your  picture
 X  and  the  red  ring  means  that  the  inlet  of  the  power  heads  are  a  possible  threat  to  your  BTA  which  has  a  nasty  reputation  to  move  around  in  your  tank  -  if  the  BTA  gets  trapped  in  the  inlet  of  the  powerhead  -  God  Bless  you  and  your  fish  Â Sad                   

A  stitch  in  time  saves  nine!
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:05 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Yes,  really  i  learnt  from  my  mistake,  will  not  be  repeated.  Knock
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:55 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Hi  Update  of  tank..

I  have  added  3  Feather  dust  and  1  Star  fish  and  is  doing  good  in  tank

Status  of  the  tank,  lots  of  Diatom  all  over  LR  and  Coral  Sand  as  well,  don’t  know  how  long  does  its  takes  to  vanish  them.

All  other  water  parameter  is  OK

PH  -->8.2
 NO3  Very  less
 Salinity  1.021

I  am  now  regularly  dosing  Calcium  to  the  Tank,  every  other  day  with  half  tea  spoon  mixed  with  10  ml  Vinegar  and  a  liter  of  water  to  it.

Also  yesterday  dosed  EPSOM  Salt  of  10  grams  with  a  liter  of  water  to  the  tank.

Few  clarification  required  guys..

Can  I  remove  the  LR  from  tank  and  scrub  them  with  a  soft  brush  to  remove  Diatom,  it  has  really  covered  all  over  LR.

What  Qty  of  EPSOM  salt  needed  to  add  to  my  50  Gallon  tank  (190  Lts)  and  at  what  interval  would  be  better?

Feeding  of  fish  interval  and  Qty  as  well.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:03 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Quote:                
I  have  added  3  Feather  dust  and  1  Star  fish  and  is  doing  good  in  tank                  

should  have  thought  of  some  cleaning  crew  like  cleaner  shrimps  and  snails  even  a  tang  would  have  helped!
 read  the  links  below:
 mgso4
 CHEMISTRY  AND  THE  AQUARIUM  by  RANDY  HOLMES-FARLEY,  Ph.D.
 reef  calculator
 I  hope  this  should  be  dose  enough  to  keep  you  reading  the  whole  day   Chuckle
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:44 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Thanks  Aquascapes,  the  link  are  really  good  i  am  reading  the  stuffs..!!

Quote:                
should  have  thought  of  some  cleaning  crew  like  cleaner  shrimps  and  snails  even  a  tang  would  have  helped                

Yes  you  r  right,  i  tried  getting  them  in  Bangalore  but  there  is  no  sign  getting  them  at  the  movement,  if  i  am  not  getting  them,  need  to  get  them  from  Chennai  only.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: