56. Guest
57. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,802

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Fish dropping like flies, Help please
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Fish dropping like flies, Help please
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:06 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

If  you  look  at  Nag's  post  on  the  thread  posted  by  trevor,  There  was  a  suggesion  on  using  Garlic  for  Chloramine.  And  in   I  am  a  bit  confused  since  he  was  of  the  option  to  use  rose  water,  I  am  not  sure  if  this  is  for  eliminating  the  sting  of  garlic  or  is  it  for  eliminating  Chloramine.

Raghu
babuvt
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

Raghu,

So  does  that  mean  that  we  still  don't  have  a  reliable  solution  to  tackle  the  chloramine  problem  and  would  have  to  postpone  the  wc  ?

rgds
 Babu
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

Hi  Babu,
   No,  Chloramine  can  be  easily  handled.

Way  to  go  is  with   slow  water  changes  with  Hypo  and  use  activated  carbon.

Another  solution  is  usage  of  Zeolite  and  Activated  carbon  in  water  coulmn.

Also  one  can  use  anti  chlorine  agents  as  mentioned  in  this  post.

There  are   similar  post  in  the  same  season  on  chloramine  that  Trevor  has  pointed  out,  And  in  that  Nagendra  pointed  out  that  Usage  of  Garlic  also  eliminated  Chloramine,  But  there  was  a  suggestion  to  use  Rose  water.  I  was  just  trying  to  understand  the  usgae  of  it.

Raghu
discusboy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:05 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

To  remove  the  smell  of  garlic  i  would  go  for  sandal  wood  then...

Or  hugo  boss  ,  gucci  envy  or  issie  Miyake..  Chuckle  

Just  kiddng  man  !!  couldnt  resist..

Garlic  removing  chloramine  still  doubt  it..  i  do  not  know  can  remove  it  too..  Sad  
 Rose  water  Â never  heard  of  it..
 For  chlorine  i  would  use  hypo..
 For  chloramine  i  would  use  zeolite..
Atanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:14 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

zeolite  will  not  work  effectively  in  removing  ammonium  ions  in  case  you  have  a  hard  water.  The  affinity  of  zeolite  is  more  towards  Ca+  and  Mg+  ions  rather  than  NH4+  ions..
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:16 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

Quote:                
Or  hugo  boss  ,  gucci  envy  or  issie  Miyake..                  

Issi  Miyake  will  work  better.  Chuckle  

Sorry  Pradeep  for  jumping  on  thread..  but  I  cant  stop  me  to  laugh  on  this.  Chuckle   Chuckle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
babuvt
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:16 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

Raghu,

Is  hypo  &  activated  carbon  easily  available  in  bangalore?  If  yes  where  can  I  source  it  from?pm  me  the  price  of  these  if  you  have  bought  these  in  past

Quote:                
Also  one  can  use  anti  chlorine  agents  as  mentioned  in  this  post.                

Remember  somewhere  reading  in  IAH  forums  that  anti  chlorine  removers  like  Rid-all  will  fail  against  chloramines?  Is  that  true?  Also  in  the  same  thread  Adip  mentioned  Stress  Coat  by  Aqua.Pharama.  is  effective  &  safe  in  clearing  chloramines.Has  someone  had  a  chance  to  use  stress  coat  as  a  water  conditioner  against  chloramines  with  documented  results?

thanks
 babu
discusboy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:24 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

hi  atanu,
 till  i  know  there  are  diff  kinds  of  zeolite(natural  and  synthetic/man  made  resins)  and  1  of  them  known  as  "clino...."  something  is  natural  and  is  very  effective  for  ammonia  Â removal..
 and  i  am  not  a  chemistry  student  nor  do  i  work  for  Ion  exchange..

But  googling  for  it  would  give  u  the  right  answers..

and  to  add  i  guess  to  keep  it  simple  we  can  always  use  "stress  coat"  or  "Aqua  safe"  for  effective  chloramine  removal..
Atanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:39 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

Stresscoat  only  breaks  down  the  chloramine  bond..  the  same  which  normal  hypo  does..  Absorption  of  ammonia  is  a  different  ball  game..  you  need  to  remove  the  ammonium  ions  out  of  the  water..  even  putting  few  drop  of  HNo3  acid  in  the  water  won't  help..  though  it  will  form  ammonium  nitrate,  in  water  its  still  in  the  form  of  ammonium  ions  and  No3  ions..  so  it  still  the  same  as  having  ammonium  ions  and  OH  ions  in  water  in  ammonia  solution..  the  best  is  zeolite   which  can  totally  remove  the  free  radicals  out  of  the  water..  but  then  you  need  to  get  the  proper  ones
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:05 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

Atanu,
   You  are  right  partially....

But  Natural  zeolite  immaterial  of  PH  should  and  will  attract  all  the  cat-ions.  

Yeh!!!  The  property  of  Zeolite  is  to  attract  the  elements  which  have  more  Cationic  nature.  And  indeed  if  we  have  more  heavy  metals  and  or  Ca  Mg  substances  in  element  nature   it  would  absorb  them  first  cause  they  are  di-valent.  Only  after  that  does  the  monovalent  substances  like  Ammonium  get  adsorbed.

But   note  that  Ca  or  Mg   hardness  of  water  comes  by  Bi  carbonates  or  carbonates  of  water.  Since  these  are  stable  and  are  difficult  to  break  the  bonding  as  comapred  to  Chloramine  which  gets  broken  by  AC  easily  as  Ammonium  and  Chlorine  and  since  chlorine  gets  easily  attracted  by  AC,  The  valence  Cationed  Ammonium  is  free   and  hence  this  would  get  attracted  by  the  Zeolite  before  Ca  or  Mg.

And  ofcourse  the  process  would  certainly  slow  down  in  a  alkaline  environment.  But  the  process  of  adsorbtion  can  be  kicked  off  soon  by  adding  catalysists.

Many  believe  that  usages  of  tannin  releasing  substances  such  as  drift  wood,  almond  leaf  etc  etc  might  help  catalyze  this  process.

Raghu
babuvt
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:37 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

Nice  information  Raghu!.  so  that  leaves  us  just  with  the  option  of  ONLY  Zeolite  for  effective  chloramine  removal  and  the  rest  of  the  products  mentioned  in  the  posts  seem  to  leach  ammonium  into  water  column?

rgds
 babu
discusboy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:59 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

Atanu  wrote  (View  Post):                
..  the  best  is  zeolite  Â                 

U  totally  contradict  your  self..  mate..in  the  earlier  post  u  said  that  zeolite  "wont"  be  effective..

And  i  agree  with  u  with  zeolite  being  the  best..
babuvt
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:23 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

All  of  us  here  seem  to  agree  that  Zeolite  is  'The  Best'  and  in  case  if  zeolite  isn't  available,  what  would  be  the  quick/emergency  water  conditioner  to  clear  of  chloramine?  Will  hypo  or  stress  coat  be  Ok  in  emergency  situations  ?

Also,  do  all  of  bangloreans  need  to  treat  water  for  chloramine  if  this  weekend  wc  is  planned?  Just  was  wondering  what  solutions  gurus  like  Trevor'ji,Madan'ji  and  ppl  like  Adip  who  stock  more  fishes  are  using  to  tackle  this  problem  effectively?

rgds
 Babu
Atanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:28 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

Hi  Mitul,
 I  said  it  won't  be  that  effective  in  hardwater..  then  you  said  there  are  different  types  and  few  have  affinity  towards  ammonium  ions  ..  so  I  guess  we   need  to  get  the  right  kind..
   I  meant  to  say  the  procedure  of  removing  the  ions  completely  out  of  the  water  which  is  how  a  zeolite  works  is  what  we  should  look  at,  not  just  breaking  the  bonds..  it  won't  suffice..  That  way  ammonium  hydroxide  have  very  weak  bonds  and  mainly  it  exists  as  ions  in  water..  and  still  kills  our  fishes..
discusboy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:32 pm Post subject: Re: Fish dropping like flies, Help please Reply with quote

is  Zeolite  avl  there???

I  had  spoken  to  someone  from  Rajasthan  dealing  in  it..  will  try  to  find  his  details..
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: