180. Guest
181. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,716

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anandaqu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Hi  all,

Thank  you  all  for  your  encouraging  words,  particularly  Neil.  He  and  many  others  like  MItul,  Shrey  and  aditya  helped  me  set  up  my  first  discus  tank.  

I  am  a  novice  as  far  as  aquarium  plants  go,  but  even  I  can  see  that  I  need  to  learn  a  lot  in  terms  of  my  choice  of  plants  and  planting  technique.  Hopefully,  my  next  tank  will  be  better.  So  thanks  everyone  for  your  suggestions.   Yes,  more  and  better  background  plants  will  give  it  a  denser,  richer  look,  Thanks  for  the  tip.  Anubias  on  bogwood  is  a  great  idea.  I  am  also  working  on  the  bog  wood  idea.  I  have  drilled  a  1  inch  by  1  inch  hole  is  a  nice  piece  of  bogwood  and  hope  to  plant  some  plants  in  it.  BUt  I  will  wait  for  my  discus  to  stabilise  and  start  growing  before  I  add  anything  to  the  bottom.  (  I  am  doing  50%  WC  daily  and  feeding  goatheart  daily)

BTW,  I  havent  used  any  fertiliser  or  CO2.  10-12  hours  lighting  perday  with  an  80W  CFS  bulb.

And  could  someone  please  tell  me  where  to  buy  good  plants  in  mumbai?  The  plants  in  my  tank  are  from  LFS  and  Gem  Aquarist  in  Chennai  (picked  up  a  few  on  my  last  trip  there)

Answer  to  some  specific  questions:

Zeolite  â€“  I  am  using  Azoo  zeolite.  The  pack  tells  me  that  Zeolite  helps  lower  the  PH.  Also  research  on  the  net  tells  me  that  Zeolite  has  buffering  capacity.  That  simply  means  that  it  will  step  in  to  suck  up  any  ammonia  still  left  after  the  plants  and  the  bacteria  have  sucked  up  they  can.   (I  am  also  using  PSB  bacteria….a  liquid  that  is  supposed  to  promote  the  growth  of  beneficial  bacteria.  My  tank  was  cycled  for  about  a  week  with  old  sponge  filters.)  The  zeolite  pack  tell  me  I  can  use  this  for  40-60  days.  I  am  planning  to  change  it  every  30  days.  Ordered  the  Azoo  zeolite  from  petsomania.  Seems  to  be  working  but  will  watch  closely.  KS  â€“  anything  wrong  in  using  zeolite  inside  a  power  filter?

Asitya  â€“  yes  it  is  a  bull  dog  (from  mitul).  My  current  stock  â€“  1  bull  dog  blue  diamond,  1  ghost,  2  leopard,  2  red  passion,  2  red  melon,  2  red  white  (all  between  2.5  to  3.5  inches  in  size).  Will  reduce  stock  if  I  cant  upgrade  to  75  gallon  tank  within  2  months.  Till  then,  50%  WC  daily.

Cleaning  the  sand  area:  Toomanyfish….no  muck  so  far  in  the  planted  area.  Even  beefheart  sometimes  falls  on  it.  But  2  clown  loaches  doing  a  good  job  of  cleaning.  The  loaches  aren’t  bothering  the  discus.  But  I  am  watching  closely.  Moreoever,  once  every  ten  days  or  so,  I  use  a  gravel  cleaner  to  siphon  of  the  dirt  at  the  top.  But  have  to  wait  for  3-6  months  to  see  what  happens  as  the  tank  matures.  

GSRKarthick  â€“  no  way  I  can  remove  the  sand  in  the  planted  area.  Gravel  vaccum  is  the  best  option.

Fishmad  â€“  there  are  no  shells  in  the  golden  sand  I  have  used.  

The  u-shaped  planted  area  is  a  great  idea.  Another  suggestion  from  Aquadip  was  to  have  the  partition  go  up  to  the  full  height  of  the  tank.  Another  variation  of  this  could  be  potted  plants…using  miniature  aquarium  bowls  as  pots  for  the  gravel.

Hope  I  have  answered  all  questions.  Feel  free  to  PM  me  or  call  for  any  queries  (  my  number  is  98335-90619)

I  just  cant  wait  to  get  started  on  my  new  bigger  thank....I  am  considering  a  few  sizes  

48  inches  x  21  x  21
 48  x  18  x  21
 60  x  21  x21  

Any  suggestions  and  advice,  especially  on  a  cost-effective  stand  are  most  welcome.

Thanks  
 Anand
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:22 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Anandaqu  wrote  (View  Post):                
But  2  clown  loaches  doing  a  good  job  of  cleaning.  The  loaches  aren’t  bothering  the  discus.  

Another  suggestion  from  Aquadip  was  to  have  the  partition  go  up  to  the  full  height  of  the  tank.  Another  variation  of  this  could  be  potted  plants…using  miniature  aquarium  bowls  as  pots  for  the  gravel.                

Hi  Anand,

Its  Aquadeep.In  addition  to  what  we  discussed...

The  partition  can  be  permanent  with  an  overflow  notch.  Use  well  baked  earthen  posts  -  select  the  pots  with  a  wider  opening  so  as  to  allow  better  water  circulation  to  the  substrate.  Avoid  glass  or  any  other  non-porous  material  -  the  roots  will  soon  start  decaying  unless  you  use  some  thing  like  plastic  containers  with  holes  provided  in  the  base  and/or  sides.  

48x18x18  -  6”  full  height  partition  along  the  length  &  slotting  at  one  side.  The  partition  was  not  fixed.  Filtration  from  front(Inlet)  >  back(Outlet)  section  
 I've  used  this  setup  with  1”  Oscars(4)  +  Silver  Dollars(2)  in  the  front  section  &  few  Tetras,  Kribensis  +  Tiger  Barbs  in  the  rear  section  with  potted  plants  (red  lily,  common  echinodorous  &  few  other  stem  plants),  

I've  also  tried  is  Planted  sections  on  either  side.  72x18x18  -  10”  full  height  permanent  partition  along  the  breath.  No  filtration  equipment  in  the  partitioned  sections.  Both  10”  sections  were  planted  with  twisted  vals  +  crypts  &  housed  Apisto  Borelli,  Nanacara  +  Killifish.  Center  section  had  the  same  Oscars  which  were  in  the  above  Setup  &  had  grown  to  6”.  

I  had  tried  this  as  I  wanted  to  have  both  Small  &  Big  fish.  Plants  became  an  important  factor  when  I  started  keeping  discus.  I  put  them  in  the  planted  setup  only  after  they  grew  to  4”+,  the  fish  is  about  6-7  months  old  by  now.

At  ~28  degrees  C  -  you  could  opt  for  plants  like  Java  Fern,  Windelov,  Java  Moss,  Aponogeton  Ulvaceous  and  Anubias.  You  could  also  try  other  plants  that  can  withstand  this  temperature.

Unfortunately,  I’ve  no  pictures  to  show  for  the  above  as  this  was  done  way  back  in  1996.  However,  I’ve  pictures  of  the  later  setup  which  I  had  tried  in  2000  &  looked  like  this  >>  
   Aquarium  size  72”x18”x24”  

Pictures  are  not  very  clear,  but  good  enough  for  understanding.  

Clown  would  be  NO-NO  with  Discus.  If  it  works  fine  for  you,  well....
discusboy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:45 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

superb..
 anand  it  looks  really  neat  ..
 Keep  up  the  good  work..
Yogesh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:29 am Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

It  looks  beautiful.  Good  job  mate.

Cheers!!!
Anandaqu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:58 am Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Aquadeep,  (sorry  about  the  wrong  spelling),  thanks  for  the  tip  on  not  using  glass  or  non  porous  material  as  pots.  I  almost  made  the  mistake!

Saw  your  picture  of  the  72  X  18  X  24  tank.  beautiful.  Could  you  please  tell  me  what  plants  you  have  there?  

And  have  you  planted  all  of  those  plants  on  bogwood/driftwood?  If  yes,  how  do  you  do  it.....just  tie  them?

thanks
 anand
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:51 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Hi  Anand,

I  had  Java  Fern,  Windelov,  Java  Moss,  Aponogeton  Ulvaceous  and  Anubias(Barteri  &  Nana).  Yes,  all  are  on  driftwood  â€“  just  tie  them.  They  will  soon  anchor  themselves.  Except  for  A.Ulvaceous,  the  plants  do  adhere  to  rough  rock,  surfaces  or  wood  in  their  natural  habitat.  

All  the  best  Thumb Up.  With  IAH  around  you  stand  a  better  chance  of  not  learning  through  mistakes  Smile.
Anandaqu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:17 am Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Hi  all,

I've  ordered  a  48  X  21  X  21  (86  gallon  tank)!  With  this  one,  I  am  planning  to  try  a  detachable  (or  removable  planted  area).  Basically,  a  mini  48  x  4  inch  (breadth)  X  6  inch  (heigth)  mini  aquarium  with  substrate  and  plants  that  will  sit  inside  the  main  tank.  This  will  make  cleaning  the  gravel,  changing  plants  etc  a  lot  easier.

Well,  that  means  by  current  tank  (27  X  15  X  24)  is  not  up  for  sale.  Any  one  interested  please  PM  me.  I  will  also  post  this  on  the  Buy/sell  forum.

Will  post  pics  of  my  bigger  tank  soon...

cheers
 anand
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:06 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Hi  Anand,

Have  you  considered  the  weight  of  the  so  called  detachable  aquarium  with  substrate  in  it?!  Weigh  the  Pro’s  &  Con’s  before  you  proceed.  

Calculate  backwards  as  to  how  many  kgs.  of  substrate  is  required  to  fill  it?  Glass  thickness  required?  ,  Most  important  -  Ease  of  maintenance  (lifting  the  detachable  one  with  considering  total  weight),  risk    etc.

Edit-  Added
Anandaqu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:09 am Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Thanks  deepak.  I  had  considered  it...that's  why  I  am  planning  to  make  these  compartments  in  acrylic  -  dimensions  will  be  two  pieces  of  20  inch  length,  4  inch  width  and  4  inch  height.  Substrate  will  be  filled  up  to  3  inches  height.  Substrate  weight  will  not  be  more  than  5  kgs...i  got  the  idea  from  my  fridge  side  tray.....i  have  managed  to  convince  my  wife  to  lend  me  the  tray  from  the  fridge!  So  I  will  try  it  out  with  a  few  plants  too  see  how  easy  mainetance  is.  and  the  safety  part  too......if  it  works,  I  will  order  the  acrylic  planted  compartments.....

my  new  tanks  is  almost  ready....  will  post  some  pics  soon.

and  thanks  all  for  your  valuable  suggestions  and  corrections.

cheers
 anand
Anandaqu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:17 am Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

And  deepak,  the  planted  area  apart.  i  was  really  inspired  by  the  picture  of  the  tank  you  had  posted  earlier.  I  am  planning  to  do  an  exact  replica  of  your  set  up.  

Would  you  be  able  to  send  me  some  of  these  plants,  especially  Java  Fern,  Windelov,  Java  Moss,  and  Anubias(Barteri  &  Nana).  

Thanks  for  all  your  suggestions  mate!

Cheers
 anand
arnabroy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:29 am Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

I  had  posted  this  somewhere  in  this  forum  before

Quote:                
 The  best  possible  way  to  set  up  a  planted  aquaria  for  keeping  discus  would  be  this  (as  they  are  bound  to  dig  the  substrate  otherwise)

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n242/arul_1/Tank_on_November_2006.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n242/arul_1/Tank_on_April_2007.jpg

The  Tank  is  56g  and  Gravel  free....  this  tank  is  prepared  to  keep  Discus,  as  its  easy  to  clean  the  tank...

A  low  1  wpg  method  for  lighting  through  Two  20"  Daylight  tubes  and  One  Bio-tube...and  5  to  6  hours  of  lighting  everyday  ...

And  3  to  4  inches  of  water  change  every  week...  with  no  fertilizers.

Removal  of  debris  is  taken  care  by  Golden  Snails  which  keeps  the  tank  clean...  and  during  water  change  on  weekends  siphoning  off  the  debris.                

I  have  seen  something  similar  to  this  at  Trevor's  place...  Its  an  excellent  idea...
Anandaqu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:21 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

After  a  long  wait,  here  is  an  update  on  Version  2  of  my  planted,  yet  bare  bottom  tank.

I  made  a  glass  stand  (28  inches  length,  5  inch  width,  and  1.5  inch  in  height)  and  placed  it  inside  my  new  87  gallon  aquarium  (48X21X21).  On  this  stand,  I  placed  a  lot  of  drift  wood  and  anubias,  jave  fern,  windolov  fern  and  a  couple  of  other  plants  (can't  id  them)  acnchored  to  the  drift  wood.  

When  i  do  a  WC,  i  run  the  siphon  under  the  stand  and  suck  out  any  debris.  Similarly,  its  easy  to  take  out  the  wood  and  clean  the  stand  as  well.

PLease  see  pictures  and  comment.  The  plants  are  growing  well.  Lighting  is  through  a  35  watt  CFL  bulb  for  about  8  hours  a  day.  No  fertilisers.  WC  is  30%-50%  once  in  2-3  days.  Stocking  :  10  juvenile  discus  (about  3-4  inches),  4  clown  loach,  1  male  siamese  fighter.
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:56 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Hi,
 At  first  I  was  skeptical  of  the  concept  until  I  saw  this...

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005.cgi?&Scale=514&op=showcase&category=0&vol=2&id=65

Now  it  almost  makes  me  wanna  try  this...
manav
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:13 am Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

I  had  tried  drift  wood  and  anubias,  but  the  beef  heart  was  a  real  pain  cleaning  up  always,  so  do  consider  that  before  you  introduce  it,  also  the  color  of  my  discus  was  not  so  great,  with  plants  in  it,  mostly  lava  fern  and  anubia  on  drift  wood,  in  fact  before  that  i  had  taken  red  river  soil  in  small  pots  and  had  amazonia  on  it,  it  looked  good  and  cleaning  was  so  much  better  as  i  had  to  just  clean  the  pots  and  put  them  back..

now  i  am  back  again  with  bare  bottom  tank  as  it's  much  easier  and  better  for  discuss,  let  me  know  if  this  works  with  you,  i  could  take  cues  from  you  on  managing  a  panted+discus  tank  as  it  a  dream  but  a  real  challenge+time  consumer  to  get  it  fine..
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:02 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Quote:                
 there  are  no  shells  in  the  golden  sand  I  have  used.                  

But  what  are  the  many  white  particles  seen  in  your  photos?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: