109. Guest
110. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,463

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Black Spot on Parrots
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Black Spot on Parrots

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Diseases & Cures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manmathan55
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:42 am Post subject: Black Spot on Parrots Reply with quote

Hi,

I  have  couple  of  Red  Parrots  about  4  inches.  I  suddenly  noticed  some  black  spots  on  one  of  the  parrots  forehead  and  it  soon  spread  to  its  fins  and  mouth  also.  The  same  happened  to  the  other  parrot  also.  

I  was  told  that  it  might  be  due  to  the  salt  factor  in  the  water  and  only  parrots  are  affected  by  this.  Is  there  any  medicine  for  this?  I  did  change  the  water   but   the  parrot  fish  still  has  the  black  spots  all  over  the  body.  

Please  let  me  know  how  I  can  cure  this.

Thanks,

Mathan.
ClownyGirl
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:45 am Post subject: Re: Black Spot on Parrots Reply with quote

HI,  

I  have  clowns  suffering  from  the  same  problem  and  I  have  not  been  able  to  isolate  the  cause,  I  do  have  a  few  theories  though  on  what  could  have  caused  it.  I  was  wondering  if  you  have  a  picture  you  can  post  of  your  parrots.  If  it  is  black  ich,  then  you  neednt  worry,  it  will  pass.  

I  dont  think  salt  has  anything  to  do  with  it.  Can  you  provide  your  PH  reading?  The  PH  in  my  tank  was  pretty  low  (4.5)  and  I  think  that  may  have  caused  the  problem.  I  suspect  it  dropped  because  of  wood  that  I  added  to  the  tank.

Regards,
 Clowny
Chriss
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:27 pm Post subject: Re: Black Spot on Parrots Reply with quote

Hello  manmathan,

The  black  discoloration  on  the  skin  of  the  parrot  fish  is  a  well  known  factor,  as  the  irregular  trigger  of  melanophores  in  the  hybrid  fish  dermis  cells.

There  are  more  pigements  responsible  for  fish  color  in  natural.

Erythrophores  -  red  coloration
 Xanthophores   -  yellow  pigment
 Iridophores  -  works  on  lights  reflection  ,  even  as  blue  color,  metalic  color  on  light  refraction  and  reflaction.
 Melanophores  (Melanin)  Black  &  brown  coloration.  

So  what  is  the  cause  of  sudden  melanophores  production  in  parrot  fish..?

The  parrot  fish  system  itself  contain  a  non-specific  immune  response  ,  which  act  on  heavy  metal  pollution,  sudden  change  in  water  chemistry  parameters  ,  very  high  or  low  temparatures,  and  unusual  chemical  remedies  applications  hence  that  will  trigger  the  melanphores  production  that  reflect  on  the  fish  body  colors..

How  to  rectify  this  problem..?

Correct  all  above  parameters  in  your  tank  and  wait  for  the  reverse  process  in  the  fish  dermis  cells.  Otherwise  the  fish  itself  get  rectified  and  you  no  need  to  worry  about  it..  but  you  may  have  to  wait  for  weeks  or  month  together.

If  you  still  have  doubt  ..  feel  free  to  discus..

cheers!
 chriss
 www.aquaremedies.com
manmathan55
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:03 pm Post subject: Re: Black Spot on Parrots Reply with quote

Clowny,

Thanks  for  sharing  your  views.  I  have  a  150  ltrs  tank.  It  has  been  3  months  since  these  black  spots  appeared  and  seems  it  would  not  go  away.  As  Chriss  has  mentioned  let  me  give  the  parrots  more  time  and  see  if  the  problem  vanishes.

Regards,

mathan.
manmathan55
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:17 pm Post subject: Re: Black Spot on Parrots Reply with quote

Chriss,

Thanks  and  appreciate  your  time  for  answering  my  query.  It  has  been  around  2  months  since  these  black  spots  were  visible  in  the  parrots  (  I  have  four  parrots  -  2  orange  and  2  red  in  a  150  ltrs  tank).  My  concern  is  it  is  spreading  fast  to  all  parrots  though  it  seems  the  parrots  themselves  are  not  much  bothered  about  it  as  they  are  active  as  usual.  

I  am  in  Chennai  and  the  water  quality  is  not  too  good  over  here  especially  with  too  much  chlorine  in  tap  water.  I  usually  fill  the  tank  with  water  taken  out  from  AQUAGUARD.  Is  it  ok  to  do  this?  Since  these  black  spots  appeared  I  change  water  in  the  tank  (75%)  twice  a  week.

Is  there  anything  I  should  do  to  maintain  the  Ph  factor  in  the  water?  Can  I  add  Multi-zeolite  which  usually  absorbs  toxic  substances  in  the  water  or  is  it  better  to  add  super  active  carbon  which  would  filter  the  water?

Thanks,

Mathan
ks
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:59 am Post subject: Re: Black Spot on Parrots Reply with quote

Hi  Chriss,

Good  inputs...  Thumb Up  

Thanks
 KS
Chriss
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:19 pm Post subject: Re: Black Spot on Parrots Reply with quote

Tks  ks,

Madhan,

You  may  do  the  following,  

Check  for  the  pH,  GH,  and  Iron  and  temperature  and  make  sure  their  range  as  follows  
 pH  -  6.5  -  7.4
 GH  -  100-  200  PPM  (Parts  Per  Million)
 Iron  -  <0.2  ppm
 Temp  -  26  -  28  degree  celcius,

But  doing  above  all  is  practicaly  difficult,  i  just  want  to  explain  how  it  can  be  a  reason.

But  there  is  another  remedy  which  i  have  experienced  by  myself,  but  for  that  there  is  no  scientific  proof  so  far,

Just  keep  your  fish  in  cement  tank  with  little  direct  sunlight  every  day  with  in  few  day  you  can  see  the  difference  ....
 Zeolite  cant  help  in  this  case  but  carbon  can  improve  the  situation  but  not  on  your  fish  color...

Cheers,
 Chriss
 www.aquaremedies.com
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Diseases & Cures All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: