138. Guest
139. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,937

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:33 pm Post subject: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Hi,  please  help  me  to  select  the  right  plants  for  my  4x2x2.  My  lights  will  be  3.4Watt/G  Â and  will  be  using  Normal  Soil/  laterite  mixed  with  Solirite  Mix  and  top  of  that  3-4mm  river  sand.  I  will  be  using  DIY  CO2  and  Dry  Dosing.

I  know  the  choice  depends  on  personal  likings  but  still  suggest  me  which  plants  will  be  suitable  to  grow  in  the  above  conditions.  Mainly  I  am  looking  for  Background  and  Midground  plants.  I  am  going  through  Tropica  site  to  get  a  proper  overview,  but  your  personal  experience  will  be  really  helpful  to  choose  the  right  plants  for  my  tank.

Thanks  in  Advance.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:57 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Sugessions Welcome Reply with quote

Hi  Tirtha,
   I  would  go  with  a  lot  of  varities  of  crypts  as  back  ground....  May  be  balansae,  Retrospirals....
 May  be  wenditi  and  undulata  being  my  background  to  midground's.  May  be  a  couple  of  crinium  bulbs  and  different  varities  of  rotala  at  the  back  would  give  it  a  perfect  reddish  tint.

A  couple  of  Echinodorus  in  the  Red  colour  would  look  great  as  midground  such  as  rose  redflame  ozlet.  A  couple  of  hydrocotyle  verticilata  as  a  mid  ground  would  look  stunning.

On  the  fore  ground  in  my  new  tank....  I  have  an  anubias  carpet  of  nana  and  nana  gold  all  around  in  one  side  which  i  like  the  most.  You  can  fo  for  HC  or  Glosso  or  Riccia  also  as  foregrounds.  

Raghu
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:28 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  Raghu....  always  find  you  helping  beginners  like  me.  Any  other  idea  to  choose  some  more  Stem  plants?
harsh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:23 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

For  background  stem  plants  if  you  want  lower  maintanence  plants  you  can  certainly  go  for  Crypt  balancae,  vals,  hetranthera  zosterifolia,  hygrophila  corymbosa  'angustifolia'  etc,  or  since  you  have  good  lights  you  can  have  Ludwigia  cuba,  L  brevipes,  a  fluffy  bunch  of  cabomba  caroliniana  looks  very  pretty.  

For  midground  plants  Crypt  Retrospiralis  is  one  of  my  fav  crypts,  (it  doesn't  get  very  high  so  not  suitable  for  background)  for  bright  green  shades  i'd  suggest  Hygrophila  corymbosa  'angustifolia  'compact'  it's  a  very  attractive  dense  bushy  plant,  looks  excellent,  Eleocharis  parvula,  diferent  crypts,  anubias',  Hemianthus  micranthemoides,  a  bush  of  rotala  sp  green  looks  very  nice  if  trimmed  properly  from  time  to  time,  man  the  options  are  endless,  you  are  the  best  judge  of  what  you  want.  

Personally  if  i  was  to  start  a  tank  with  the  similar  equipment,  i'd  go  with  a  very  simple  layout  Some  E  vivipara  or  C  helferi  at  the  back,  E  parvula   all  over  front  and  some  crypts  and  anubias  &  moss  on  DWs  in  the  mid  area.

(What  hardscape  material  are  you  plannng  to  use?  what  kind  of  rocks  or  wood)

Or  if  you  want  to  go  even  simpler,  i'll  go  with  a  simple  iwagumi  style  with  E  vivipara  or  C  helferi  at  the  back  and  Parvula  aroud  the  rocks  in  the  mid  area  and  E  acicularis  elsewhere.  

Man  i  can  go  on  and  on  give  me  something  specific  to  work  with..   Chuckle
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:05 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Tirthamkar  how  much  are  you  going  to  spend  on  plants?

A  densely  planted  4  x  2  x  2  tank  will  cost  upwards  of  15K  if  you  buy  plants  at  the  present  rates.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:59 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Moreover  plant  selection  should  be  your  ambient  temperature  dependent.   If  your  tank  temp  is  likely  to  go  the  the  30's  in  summer  and  if  you  don't  intend  to  get  a  chiller,  then  most  stemmed  plants  are  likely  to  wither  off.
 Also,  DIY  CO2  is  not  consistent.   With  so  much  light,  if  there's  a  shortage  of  CO2,  you'll  have  a  possible  outburst  of  algae  in  the  2nd  or  3rd  week.   Its  better  to  invest  on  a  CO2  cylinder.
 Most  Rosettes  like  Echinodorous,  Crinums,  Crypts  and  stemmed  plants  like  mint  are  hardy  enough  to  survive  higher  temperatures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:23 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

hi  Tirthankar  

Â   I  would  recomend  having  plants  like  Ammania  Gracilis,  Didipilis  Diandra,  Ludwigia  Brevipies,  Myrophilum  Tubercilutum.  For  the  midground  go  for  Echinodorus  tenellus,  Sagittaria  subulata  you  can  also  put  some  moss  on  wood  or  pelia.  For  foreground  get  glossostigma  or  riccia,  HC  is  a  little  more  difficult  plant  to  grow  might  not  do  welll  in  a  new  setup.
   Â   I  would  say  one  thing  go  for  lesser  varieties  but  make  sure  you  get  plants  in  good  quantity.  Maybe  only  3-4  varieties  for  the  background  2-3  for  the  Mid  ground  and  2  for  the  fore  ground.  The  impact  of  lesser  varieties  in  large  numbers  is  much  more  pleasant  than  a  lot  of  variety  in  smaller  numbers.  Definately  put  a  echinodorous  of  your  choice  in  the  tank.  While  aquascaping  get  some  hradscapes  in  the  setup  and  leave  some  places  blank  in  the  foreground  this  way  you  will  achive  a  more  natural  look.
   Â   Do  keep  in  mind  Madan's  advice,  plants  will  be  expensive.

The  plants  that  I  have  mentioned  are  a  mixture  of  fsat  growers  with  slower  growing  plants.
   Â   
   Â The  alternative  to  this  setup  is  to  go  for  one  with  no  stem  plants  in  it,  this  will  be  a  more  permanant  aquascape  with  only  rosettes  and  low  growing  plants,  with  a  lot  of  hardscape.
   Â All  the  Best

Regrads
   Harshal  Mehta
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:33 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

DIY  CO2?  How  did  I  miss  that!  Possibly  all  the  questions  posted  about  CO2  refills  in  Gurgaon  and  I  assumed  too  much!  Sad  

Forget  a  4x2x2  planted  tank  with  3.4  watts/gallon  and  dry  dosing.

Explore  some  other  means,  a  low-tech,  low  light,  non  -  CO2  setup.

You'll  kill  the  plants  with  the  DIY  CO2  for  a  4  x  2  x  2  set  up.  Hell,  I  find  it  difficullt  to  keep  my  CO2  levels  up  in  my  4.5  x  2  x  1.75  tank.  I  use  3  watts  per  gallon  -  ok  it's  MH  -,  I  use  pressurised  CO2  and  possibly  the  largest  external  CO2  reactor  of  all  on  IAH.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Like  I  said,  Tirtha...You  need  to  invest  in  CO2  and  a  Chllier  if  you  stay  at  the  dreadful  place  called  NCR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Thanks  for  your  Kind  reply.  Really  it's  just  like  an  Ocen  to  choose  plants  from.

@Madan  Sir:  I  will  be  executing  step  by  step  slowly  to  build  up  the  tank  and  I  will  take  a  long  time  cause  this  is  not  possible  for  me  to  invest  at  a  go.  My  estimated  budget  for  this  tank  is  arround  25K  from  whick  I  can  spend  10K  for  plants  I  think.  Smile  But  coming  to  the  main  problem,  it  is  pressurised  CO2  setup.  As  you  told  in  other  thread,  I  searched  out  Gurgaon  Yellow  Pages  and  Local  welding  Shops.  I  am  getting  CO2  cylinders  but  there  is  no  option  to  refill  it.  All  the  welding  shops  and  construction  sites  are  using  Electical  welding  setup  instead  of  CO2.  If  I  have  to  refill  the   Cylinder  from  Delhi  ,  I  need  to  travel  arround  150  KM  in  total  each  time.  And  even  I  want,  I  wont  be  able  to  go  for  a  large  CO2  setup,  cause  I  am  in  a  rented  flat  and  any  day  if  will  be  kicked  out  if  the  owner  wants.  But  still  I  am  looking  for  a  nearby  refill  station.
 Taking  the  worst  scenario  in  hand  that  I  could  not  find  out  a  solution  to  get  pressurised  Setup  here,  then  I  need  to  stick  to   my  DIY  option  only.  For  this  I  have  a  small  confusion.  I  was  able  to  produce  125  Bubbles/Min  constantly  for  an  week  with  a  single  yeast  mixture.  The  question  is  for  a  high  lighted  and  well  planted  tank  how  many  bubbles  we  need  in  95  Gallon  water  to  reach  the  optimum  CO2  level?  Cause  based  on  that  I  can  calculate  the  number  of  Yeast  reactors.  (I  know  this  sounds  very  funny  but  am  helpless.)  Please  give  me  an  idea.

@Harsh/Harshal:  Thanks  for  your  valuable  inputs.  Surely  I  will  keep  these  points  in  mind  while  choosing  plants.  For  hard  scaping  I  will  use  a  drift  wood  structure  covered  with  moss.  But  really  not  sure  how  they  will  react  in  high  lights.  I  got  the  fill  of  Low  Light  and  Low  CO2  setup  last  time.  So  now  trying  burn  fingures  in  bit  hardar  challange.  Smile

@Dev:  Buddy,  I  am  ready  to  spend  money  for  CO2  setup  if  I  can  find  out  a  refill  station  nearby.  But  Chiller......  It's  completely  out  of  my  pocket.  i  need  to  chosse  hardar  plants  to  survive  in  this  atmosphere.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:27 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Tirtha,
   To  what  deg  of  temp  does  your  place  usually  get  to  the  max?????

Raghu
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:41 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

T2CHATTO  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  will  be  executing  step  by  step  slowly  to  build  up  the  tank  and  I  will  take  a  long  time  cause  this  is  not  possible  for  me  to  invest  at  a  go.                  

Pardon  me  if  i  have  understood  it  wrongly.
 If  you  mean  planting  the  plants  in  stages  then  thats  another  receipe  for  disaster  with  such  a  high  light.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:42 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Now  it's  going  to  be  cold.  As  of  now  my  tank  temparature  is  25-27.  And  It  will  go  down  to  4-5  degree  in  winter.  But  in  summer  the  atmosphere  temp  will  reach  upto  45  degree.  This  year  the  mercury  touched  48  degree  for  5  days  in  Gurgaon.  So  the  weather  is  dreadful  here.  Crying or Very sad
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Rohan,  sorry  buddy  to  create  the  confusion.  Step  By  Step  Means,  First  the  Glass  Tank,  Then  Stand/Hood/Light  then  Substrate  and  so  on.....  But  I  will  be  planting  at  a  go  for  sure.  But  that  will  be  last  step  of  my  project  I  think.   Smile  .....
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:58 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

As  far  as  I  know  it  reached  45C  last  summer  with  water  metering  to  43C.  That  will  even  kill  us  aquarisits...

Tirtha,  I  suggest  that  you  go  for  a  9  kg  or  bigger  cylinder.  Then,  you  will  have  to  refill  once  in  18  months  or  so,  provided  that  you  have  only  one  tank  to  apply  to..  In  this  case,  I  think,  you  can  manage  one  trip  to  a  distant  refilling  stn..
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: