225. Guest
226. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,911

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
callmekk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:16 pm Post subject: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

Hello  All,

I  am  a  new  member  -  joined  this  morning.

I  am  looking  at  seting  up  a  good  aquarium  at  my  residence.  It  is  a  residential  aquarium  and  is  used  for  'show'  purposes  only.  I  am  not  into  breeding  fishes  yet.

I  would  ideally  be  looking  at  a  tank  which  is  2.5  feet  in  length,  the  height  and  depth  of  the  same  can  be  variable  (whats  would  be  ideal  dimensions  given  the  length).

I  have  been  scouting  Chennai  for  some  time  now  for  the  best  deals  in  tanks  and  fishes  and  accessories.  I  am  also  looking  at  the  AMC  option  as  it  might  be  difficult  to  maintain  such  a  big  tank  by  myself.

I  have  a  few  questions  which  i  would  be  happy  if  you  experts  can  help  me  on:

1.  Tanks:  the  best  place  to  buy  the  tanks?  Can  i  go  for  a  readymade  one  or  a  customised  one?  If  customised  -  who  make  the  best  tanks  at  the  best  price?

2.  Do  we  have  people  who  make  the  stands  also  where  i  can  store  a  small  incubation  fishtank  and  other  accessories?

3.  Which  place  can  i  get  the  best  accessories?  Including  test  kits  and  other  decoratives  items?

4.Fishes  -  what  would  be  the  best  /  ideal  combinations  of  fishes  which  would  look  good  in  the  house  in  such  a  tank  size?

5.  Do  i  need  to  get  into  an  AMC  only  from  the  chap  i  buy  a  tank  from  or  can  anyone  do  an  AMC?  If  so,  who  in  your  experience,  the  best  guy  in  Chennai.

I  am  looking  at  price  as  i  am  looking  at  a  budget  on  this  venure  so  please  point  me  to  the  to  the  best  price  option.

Advance  thanks  for  all  your  help.

KK
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:50 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

Hi  KK,

Greetings!  &  warm  welcome  to  IAH.  Â Smile  Â 

Sounds  good  that  you  want  to  have  an  aquarium  but  if  you  just  want  to  have  it  as  a  decor  then  dont  go  for  it  because  it  requires  time  &  maintenance  from  the  owner.  First  decide  &  make  your  mind  set  before  jumping.

Quote:                
I  would  ideally  be  looking  at  a  tank  which  is  2.5  feet  in  length,  the  height  and  depth  of  the  same  can  be  variable  (whats  would  be  ideal  dimensions  given  the  length).                  
The  ideal  tank  size  will  be  48x18x18  inches.

Quote:                
I  have  been  scouting  Chennai  for  some  time  now  for  the  best  deals  in  tanks  and  fishes  and  accessories.  I  am  also  looking  at  the  AMC  option  as  it  might  be  difficult  to  maintain  such  a  big  tank  by  myself.                  
Please  visit  Kolathur  &  check/ask  there  about  your  requirements.

Quote:                
1.  Tanks:  the  best  place  to  buy  the  tanks?  Can  i  go  for  a  readymade  one  or  a  customised  one?  If  customised  -  who  make  the  best  tanks  at  the  best  price?                
Visit  Kolathur  for  best  result.  Thumb Up  

Quote:                
2.  Do  we  have  people  who  make  the  stands  also  where  i  can  store  a  small  incubation  fishtank  and  other  accessories?                
Again  Kolathur.  Smile  

Quote:                
3.  Which  place  can  i  get  the  best  accessories?  Including  test  kits  and  other  decoratives  items?                
Once  again  Kolathur.  Very Happy  

Quote:                
4.Fishes  -  what  would  be  the  best  /  ideal  combinations  of  fishes  which  would  look  good  in  the  house  in  such  a  tank  size?                  
Go  for  Malawi  Cichlid  Tank,  looks  stunning.  Thumb Up  Â Thumb Up  

Quote:                
5.  Do  i  need  to  get  into  an  AMC  only  from  the  chap  i  buy  a  tank  from  or  can  anyone  do  an  AMC?  If  so,  who  in  your  experience,  the  best  guy  in  Chennai.                  
We  suggest  you  to  do  your  own  thing  by  yourself  only  &  use  your  own  innovative  idea.

Quote:                
I  am  looking  at  price  as  i  am  looking  at  a  budget  on  this  venure  so  please  point  me  to  the  to  the  best  price  option.                
Budget  depends  on  what  kind  of  system  you  want.  It  can  go  upto  5k  to  25k.  Chuckle  

Regards
 Rocky
vyastk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:05 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

KK,

Regarding...AMC  ...  I  guess  this  forum  comprises  mostly  of  hobbyists  who  enjoy  the  hobby  and  the  work  behind  keeping  aquariums.

The  Stores  would  be  happy  to  do  the  maintenance  if  you  are  ready  to  pay...

But  the  fun  and  Joy  of  fishkeeping  is  lost  if  it  is  done  by  a  paid  crew

Suggest  you  take  up  a  medium  sized  tank(bigger  the  better)  and  enjoy  your  hobby...it  does  definitely  take  up  some  time...say  5  mins  twice  a  day  to  feed  your  fishes  and  say  maybe  an  hour  a  week  to  change  water  and  regular  maintenance...  

Warning:  This  Hobby  is  extremely  addictive  Drinking  

Regards

Vyas  T  K
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:37 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

Indeed  why  the  AMC?  Its  like  paying  someone  else  to  have  all  the  fun!!  If  you  want  it  just  as  decor  then  do  as  Rocky  says  -  ditch  the  aquarium  and  find  some  other  thing  to  show.

A  2.5  by  1.5  by  1.5  comes  to  about  39  -  40  gallons;  adequately  large  for  most  first  timers.  A  tank  this  size  will  allow  you  to  house  many  of  the  commonly  avialable  fish  with  minimum  fuss.  

However  the  above  dimensions  can  be  a  bit  intimidating  as  this  tank  will  be  quite  broad  and  high.  Maybe  something  longer  and  less  broad  is  more  comfortable  -  like  the  one  Rocky's  suggested.

As  a  beginner  you  can  start  with  an  african  cichlid  tank  but  I  would  suggest  a  simpe  community  tank  before  trying  out  the  more  specialized  tanks.  

Livebearers  -  platies,  swordtails,  mollies.  Guppies  only  if  you  must.
 Barbs  in  groups  of  6  -  Rosy  barbs,  zebra  danios.  Try  to  keep  away  from  tiger  barbs,  green  barbs  and  albino  tiger  barbs.
 Gouramis  -  dwarf  gouramis  (a  few),  three  spots  (single  male  and  a  couple  of  females)  -  gold  gouramis,  platinum  gouramis,  blue  gouramis,  cosby  gouramis  are  all  variants  of  three  spots
 Tetras  in  groups  of  6  -  8:  red  eyes,  black  widows,  maybe  even  beunos  aires  tetras  (also  called  venus  tetras)
 Bottom  dwellers  in  groups  of  6  -  8:  loaches  and  corydoras

deepesh
callmekk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:51 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

WOW  -  thats  a  horde  of  info...thanks  guys.  Keep  it  coming  -  i  am  mulling  it  all  in.

I  used  to  have  one  of  the  old  type  of  tanks  a  decade  ago  and  those  old  ones  required  a  lot  of  cleaning  (i  did  not  have  filteration  then).

Maybe  thats  why  i  am  intimidated  with  the  'cleaning'.

Will  try  and  get  to  cleaning  and  maintaining  it  myself  for  the  first  to  see  how  it  goes.

Rocky:  Any  particular  shop  in  kolathur(i  am  not  an  expert  on  that  area  in  Chennai  so  a  pointer  would  be  useful)

Deepesh:  Will  have  to  print  you  reply  as  its  too  techie  Very Happy  ...anyway
   thanks  a  ton.

Vyas:  How  can  i  maintain  this  big  a  tank  -  i  am  under  the  impression  that  i  would  need  to  'dismantle'  everything  and  then  start  all  over  again  (i.e.  set  the  tank  from  scratch)  everytime  I  clean  it  -  please  correct  me  if  i  am  wrong.  I  have  heard  aquarists  say  that  you  do  not  have  to  so  but  just  'regular'  maintanence  (like  you  mentioned  in  your  post)  but  what  is  regular  maintanence  -  is  that  some  reading  material  on  this  i  am  get  in  touch  with?

KK
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:00 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

KK  Welcome  to  IAH.

Enjoy!
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:14 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

Hi  KK,  Welcome  to  IAH.

SETTING  UP  THE  TANK
 Equipment  you  will  need:  
 Aquarium,  Base  foam,  Gravel,  Filter,  Heater,  Other  decorations  (such  as  fake  or  real  plants,  rocks,  driftwood),  Fish  food,  Gravel  vacuum,  Fish  net,  Glass  Scrubber  (old  credit  card),  Bucket.

STEP  1:  Realize  the  responsibility  involved.
 A  fish  tank  is  just  like  having  a  dog  or  a  cat  when  it  comes  to  the  amount  of  effort  on  your  part.  In  order  to  have  a  successful  fish  tank,  you  will  have  to  work  at  it.  Once  a  week,  or  at  most  once  every  two  weeks,  you  will  need  to  perform  some  kind  of  maintenance  on  the  tank.  Most  of  the  time  you  will  be  performing  water  changes.  You  will  also  have  to  feed  your  fish  at  least  once  a  day.  If  you  are  up  to  the  challenge,  please  proceed!

STEP  2:  Decide  on  an  aquarium  size.
 It's  a  good  idea  to  have  in  mind  what  kind  of  fish  you  want  to  keep  before  you  purchase  an  aquarium.  Some  fish  only  grow  to  be  an  inch  or  two,  whereas  other  types  of  tropical  fish  can  grow  12  inches  or  more  in  length!  Knowing  what  kind  of  fish  you  want  will  help  you  decide  the  size  of  the  tank  they  will  need.  If  this  is  your  first  time  with  an  aquarium,  it  may  be  a  good  idea  to  start  with  a  50  or  75  litre  aquarium  for  now  and  stock  it  with  some  smaller  and  hardier  species.

STEP  3:  Decide  on  the  aquarium's  location.
 Place  your  aquarium  in  an  area  where  the  light  and  temperature  of  the  tank  won't  be  affected  by  external  sources  such  as  windows  and  heater  vents.  Sunlight  that  enters  the  room  through  an  unshaded  window  could  affect  the  temperature  of  your  tank.  This  could  also  lead  to  green  algae  problems  for  your  tank  in  due  course.  You  will  have  to  place  your  aquarium  on  a  stand  that  will  be  able  to  hold  its  total  weight.  You  also  want  to  be  sure  that  the  floor  is  able  to  support  the  total  weight  of  the  aquarium  and  stand.  A  good  rule  of  thumb  for  determining  the  total  weight  of  a  full  aquarium  is  1  kg  per  litre  of  water.  For  example,  a  2x1x1  tank  will  weigh  approximately  60  kgs  when  filled  with  water!  

STEP  4:  Buy  your  aquarium  and  equipment.
 Now  is  a  good  time  to  decide  on  the  type  of  aquarium  filter  you  will  want  to  use.  You  will  also  need  to  purchase  a  heater  capable  of  heating  the  tank  size  you  have,  if  you  plan  to  keep  tropical  fish  like  tetras,  angels  and  discus.  Buy  the  gravel,  plants  and  other  decorations.  A  good  rule  of  thumb  for  the  amount  of  gravel  that  you  will  need  is  1  kg  of  gravel  per  5  litres  of  water.

STEP  5:  Set  up  your  aquarium  and  stand.
 Wash  out  your  tank  with  water  only!  Do  not  use  soap  or  detergents.  Soap  residue  left  behind  will  be  harmful  for  your  tropical  fish.  If  you  are  going  to  use  an  under  gravel  filter  (recommended  only  for  goldfish)  now  would  be  the  time  to  set  it  up  as  well.
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:22 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

Just  a  breather,  in  case  you  were  holding  your  breath.   Chuckle  

STEP  6:  Wash  gravel,  plants  and  decorations.
 Be  sure  to  wash  the  gravel  thoroughly  before  adding  it  to  your  tank.  An  easy  way  to  do  this  is  to  put  some  of  the  rocks  in  a  plastic  strainer  and  wash  them  out  in  your  bathtub.  Then  place  the  gravel  in  a  clean  bucket  for  transport  to  the  aquarium.  After  adding  the  gravel  you  can  place  your  plants  and  decorations.

STEP  7:  Add  water  to  the  aquarium.
 To  avoid  messing  up  your  gravel  and  plants,  you  can  place  a  plate  or  saucer  in  the  middle  of  your  aquarium  and  direct  the  water  flow  onto  the  plate.  Use  room  temperature  water  when  filling.  To  remove  the  chlorine  and  chloramine,  use  a  de-chlorinator  or  allow  the  water  to  stand  in  the  bucket  for  at  least  24  hours.  Don’t  completely  fill  up  the  aquarium  until  you  are  sure  of  the  layout  of  your  decorations.  Otherwise,  when  you  place  your  arm  in  to  move  stuff  around  water  is  going  to  spill  over.

STEP  8:  Set  up  equipment.
 Install  your  heater  but  don’t  plug  it  in  until  the  thermostat  in  the  heater  has  adjusted  to  the  water  temperature.  This  usually  takes  about  15  minutes  or  so.  Hook  up  your  filter  and  any  other  equipment  you  have,  then  top  off  the  aquarium  water  to  just  under  the  hood  lip.  Place  your  hood  and  tank  light  on  the  aquarium  and  then  check  your  power  cords  to  be  sure  that  they  are  free  of  water.

STEP  9.  Wait,  wait,  wait  and  then  wait  some  more.
 I  know,  you  want  to  add  some  fish.  But,  in  order  to  do  this  right  you  must  wait  until  your  aquarium  has  cycled  before  adding  any  fish.  There  are  ways  of  speeding  up  this  process.  Learn  more  about  starting  the  nitrogen  cycle  and  how  to  speed  it  up.  

STEP  10.  Add  tropical  fish.
 Only  add  one  or  two  fish  at  a  time.  Adding  a  couple  fish  at  a  time  gives  your  filtration  system  the  time  needed  to  take  on  the  increased  biological  load  that  the  new  fish  introduce.  When  you  bring  the  fish  home  let  the  bag  float  in  the  tank  for  about  15  minutes  so  that  the  fish  can  become  acclimated  to  the  temperature  of  the  aquarium  water.  After  5  minutes  of  floating  the  bag  you  should  add  some  of  the  aquarium  water  to  the  bag  so  that  the  fish  can  become  acclimated  to  the  pH  level  in  the  aquarium.  This  will  help  reduce  the  amount  of  stress  imposed  on  the  fish.  Stress  often  leads  to  dead  or  diseased  fish!  Don’t  feed  your  fish  on  the  first  day.  They  probably  wouldn’t  eat  any  food  on  the  first  day  anyway.  Let  them  get  acquainted  with  their  new  home.

STEP  11.  Get  ready  for  regular  maintenance.
 Be  prepared  to  spend  some  time  once  every  week  or  two  to  clean  your  tank.  Performing  regular  water  changes  of  30%  once  a  week  or  15%  twice  a  week  will  reduce  the  nitrate  levels  and  keep  your  tropical  fish  happy  and  healthy.  Feed  only  twice  in  small  quantities.  Feed  only  as  much  as  your  fish  can  eat  in  a  few  minutes.  Overfeeding  is  one  of  major  causes  of  fish  death.  So  be  forewarned  !!

HAPPY  FISHKEEPING  !!!

Guys,  Relax.  I  did  the  typing  ages  ago  and  now  it's  just  cut,  copy  &  paste.
vyastk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:25 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

KK,

Regular  maintenance......Well  That  is  simple   Chuckle   and  it  would  mean  as  Suraj  mentioned  abt  30%  of  the  Water  need  to  be  siphoned  out  and  "aged  "water  (4-  5  days  old  obtained  from  your  tap  to  Keep  the  chlorines  out  the  water)  would  be  used  to  refill  the  Tank...every  week.  You  can  replace  more  water  but  definitely  not  100%

The  complete  setup  is  NEVER  dismantled  unless  you  want  to  reset  it  all  over  again...Or  in  case  you  want  to  change  the  gravel  or  something  similiar

While  the  water  is  siphoned  out,  The  muck  collected  in  the  gravel  is  also  vaccumed  using  a  gravel  vaccum  to  keep  it  clean.  During  this  time  you  can  wipe  the  front  glass  to  remove  any  algae  as  well

The  Filter  if  it  is  an  internal  one  is  usually  cleaned(  once  a  fortnight  maybe)  by  taking  the  media  inside  and  squising  the  muck  in  water...Just  dont  "Clean"  it  too  much  ...it  is  good  to  have  some  of  the  muck  since  it  will  contain  some  bacteria  which  is  benificial  for  the  fishes...Well  if  you  have  an  good  external  canister  filter  you  can  be  saved  of  this  chore  for  a  good  year...sometimes  more...But  they  do  cost  a  decent  amount...  

All  of  the  above  chores  should  not  cost  you  more  than  an  hour  a  week!!  and  you  have  a  sparkling  clean  aquarium

The  other  Important  part  of  the  maintenance  is  to  keep  the  tank  clean  by  removing  dead  fish  or  organic  material  and  removing  any  uneaten  food

KK  Read  through  the  variuos  posts  in  the  forum  you  can  have  answers  to  all  your  Questions...  IF  you  have  more  there  will  be  somebody  who  will  assist  you  

Vyas  T  K
raghav_s2004
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:48 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

Hi  KK  welcome  to  IAH  .
                                             Kolathur  is  the  Best  place  for  Fishes  as  you  get  all  varieties  of  fishes  ,  for  rare  varieties  of  fish  you  can  try  indian  ocean  aquarium  in  there  ,  for  Accessories  you  have  to  select  a  good  Shop  ,  iam  Not  Sure  of  any  Particular  Shop  in  Kolathur  .  and   before  adding  fishes  cycle  your  tank  as  Shown  by  experts  above  .

Good  Luck   Thumb Up
johnny
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:28 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

There  are  a  lot  of  fish  stores  in  and  around  the  various  neighbourhoods  in  chennai.  You  just  have  to  scout  around  till  you  find  one  that  fits  your  bill.  Got  back  to  fishkeeping  after  a  long  gap  and  decided  to  go  for  a  bigger  tank  this  time.  Got  a  30x12x24  inch  tank  which  fits  fits  snug  in  my  hall  right  next  to  my  showcase.  The  entire  setup  cost  me  way  less  than  2k.  The  following  shops  are  where  i  got  my  stuff,  well  i  apologize  for  not  giving  the  shop  names,  cos  i  rarely  ever  noted  them.  But  i  can  assure  you  there  is  only  one  shop  in  each  of  the  places  i  had  mentioned  and  it  is  right  on  the  main  road  almost  all  along  the  Velachery  Main  Rd,  right  from  Tambaram  to  Velachery  bypass,  should  you  decide  to  try  any.  For  tanks,  the  cheapest  deals  were  at  a  shop  in  Camp  Rd  Jn  (Selaiyur,  Tambaram).  For  artificial  plants  and  equipment,  the  best  deals  were  at  a  shop  near  medavakkam  busstand.  Goldfishes,  angels  etc,  the  shop  near  Sankara  Vidyala  School  (E.tbm),  general  fish  collection  is  from  a  shop  in  Tambaram  Sanatorim  (midpoint  of  chrompet  flyover  and  MEPZ)  and  one  near  Tambaram  Busstand  (Flora  &  Fauna).  There  is  also  a  United  India  Aquarium  in  Velachery  Bypass.  But  hardly  any  experience  there.  When  i  went  there  for  first  time  last  Sat,  they  were  packing  everything  up  in  big  bags,  not  sure  if  it  was  for  moving  or  for  cleaning  tanks.  Anyway  have  to  go  there  again  sometime  to  check  out.  Cos  in  the  entire  stretch,  those  were  the  only  guys  i  had  seen  with  a  marine  aquarium  set  up.  So  i  expect  they  should  have  a  good  collection  of  rest  too.  Never  been  to  kolathur.  Guess  be  i  should  check  that  out  too  soon.

And  as  for  cleaning,  I  too  used  to  follow  the  rip  apart  and  reassemble  routine.  I  used  to  have  a  20x10x10  inch  tank  which  was  quite  good.  Large  enough  to  house  a  decent  shoal  of  fish,  but  small  enough  for  maintenance.  Even  in  that,  the  ripping  apart  had  to  be  done  only  once  a  month  or  once  in  2  months  to  clear  the  grit  under  the  UG  filter  i  used.  Otherwise,  the  weekly  water  changes  were  quite  sufficient.  This  time  i  chose  only  the  fish  that  wont  grow  big.  That  eliminated  gold  fish,  the  usual  first  choice,  n  instead  got  me  guppies,  platy,  sword  tail,  goura,  angels  and  a  few  recent  unexpected  additions.  For  getting  the  new  tank  ready,  i  like  to  call  it  curing  rather  than  cycling,  i  filled  it  up  till  half  for  first  day,  and  then  to  regular  level  on  day2  and  left  it  at  that  for  a  week.  Then  completely  removed  the  water  (i  tend  to  be  paranoid  about  chemicals  leeching  from  the  sealent  which  has  not  touched  water  till  then  even  though  i  know  its  ridiculous,  carry  over  from  the  days  we  used  m-seal  to  seal  tank  leaks  in  the  asbestos  base  i  suppose)  and  then  set  up  my  tank  proper.  day  1  empty,  day  2,  guppies,  day  4,  platy  and  sword,  day  7  gourami,  and  an  entire  week  after  that  the  angels.  What  i  perceive  to  be  their  order  of  delicateness.
PC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:48 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

i  suggest  you  keep  Kolathur  as  the  last  option,  there  are  good  shops  in  chennai,  infact  you  can  do  very  good  deals  with  these  smaller  shops.  Also  i  dont  think  you  need  heaters  in  chennai.
surya_niki
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:02 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

Hi  KK,

Welcome  to  IAH!  i  would  to  add  to  Pradeep  by  saying,  get  in  touch  with  some  of  the  hobbiest  for  your  requirements.  It  will  would  get  a  betetr  deal  than  any  shops  in  chennai.  If  not,  then  as  Pradeep  says  is  the  way  to  go.

Regards,
 Surya
sathya
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:29 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

KK,

the  best  place  to  buy  fishes  is  Southern  aquarium,Giri  road,T.nagar.

Here  you  get  at  whole  sale  prices.

Tanks  &  other  accessories  you  can  buy  in  moore  market  shopping  complex.

The  ideal  tank  size  will  be  3x1.5  for  a  residence
callmekk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a fishtub in Chennai- need help and advice Reply with quote

Dear  All,
 Thanks  for  all  the  info...its  splendid  hearing  it  from  the  experts.

Sathya:  I  shall  try  out  in  Southern  Aquarium  -  i  am  not  looking  at  the  fishes  right  now  as  i  am  concentrating  on  the  hardware  -  tanks  -  gravel  -  deco  etc.  But  when  the  time  comes  i  shall  surely  get  in.

Surya_niki:  That’s  a  good  suggestion.  Thanks

PC:  Kolathur  is  a  long  way  for  me  (i  live  in  M.R.C.Nagar)  -  but  I  hear  a  unanimous  voice  here  from  most  experts  on  Kolathur  which  makes  me  highly  inquisitive.  I  have  also  tried  a  number  of  shops  in  the  city  and  they  differ  a  lot  in  range.  If  you  have  anything  in  mind  -  a  shop  to  get  the  'hardware'  -  do  let  me  know.

Jhonny:  Thanks  for  the  info  and  for  taking  the  effort.  I  think  i  shall  work  on  the  direction  and  see  whether  I  strike  a  chord.

Raghav:  Yes  I  shall  surely  try  Kolathur.  I  am  not  able  to  schedule  the  time  but  surely  will.

Vyas:  I  have  all  the  basic  things  required  as  i  was  maintaining  a  tank  a  few  years  ago  but  never  as  big  as  i  a  planning  to  venture  right  now.  Moreover,  the  filtration  system  used  now  needs  very  minimum  maintenance  from  the  owners  when  compared  ot  the  older  tanks  with  old  /  no  filtrations.

Nature_lover:  Thanks  for  the  info;  they  will  be  useful  i  am  sure.

Any  specific  luck  with  any  one  store  which  gives  you  a  good  deal  -  do  let  me  know.  Thanks  all.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: