215. Guest
216. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,826

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Schooling Reef safe fish
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Schooling Reef safe fish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranjithc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:02 pm Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

since  we  got  into  the  topic  of  anemone,  i  have  one  for  giving  away  or  trading  with  some  polyps  or  shrooms.

It  is  not  in  any  bad  health  or  dying  but  my  current  tank  is  too  small  for  him  n  he  does  not  inflate  well   Sad  

sorry  if  this  is  spamming  in  the  wrong  section.  Chuckle
Dhritiman
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:02 am Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

Chuckle
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:49 pm Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

Quote:                
that  is  why  i  want  to  move  to  biotope  and  limit  to  one  family  instead  of  mix  n  match                

So  you  are  serious  about  making  life  miserable  for  your  self  aren't  you   Chuckle  
 Well  well  well!!  A  saltwater  biotope!!  Why  not?
 Ranjith,  I  would  like  to  mention  something  very  simple  here:
 'Symbiotism'  -  this  alone  is  responsible  for  the  reefs  to  florish.  Now,  often  in  the  past  we  have  seen  people  intervene  and  disturb  the  balance  either  by  over  harvesting  a  particular  life  form  which  results  in  a  chain  reaction  OR  often  people  like  to  play  the  role  of  GOD!  They  will  from  their  limited  knowledge  often  derive  alarming  predictions  that  a  particular  animal  is  multiplying  at  an  alarming  rate  and  will  hinder  the  survival  of  some  other  more  delicate  animals  or  life  forms  such,  predictions  will  sound  an  alarm  and  sometimes  such  life  forms  have  been  hunted  down  to  even  extinction.  OR  sometimes  man  introduces  foreign  (alien)  life  forms  to  a  different  ecology  without  realising  the  impact  that  alien  will  have  on  the  endimic  species  of  the  ecology  and  mostly  it  results  in  a  catestrophe.  Not  to  mention  all  the  damage  done  by  irresponsible  fishing,  dynamite  fishing,  cynide,  oil  spills,  industrial  pollution,  etc.  
 Now,  from  the  above  observations  you  will  realise  how  delicate  the  balance  of  the  reefs'  ecology  is.  I  would  just  like  to  draw  you  attention  to  the  fact  that  you  should  first  study  the  particular  reef/ecology  you  want  to  re-create  and  plan  a  tank/system  which  can  support  the  life  forms  to  be  kept.  One  important  factor  you  should  consider  here  is  that  most  of  the  cnidarians  that  belong  to  the  particular  ecology  are  protected  under  the  Wild  Life  Protection  Act  of  1972  and  ammendments  there  after.  Also,  some  of  the  life  forms  are  very  poor  survivers  in  captive  environments.
 So,  what  are  we  left  with?  Well,  that  is  where  the  study  of  symbiotic  realtionships  on  a  reef  will  help  you!  Consider  the  importance  of  everything  that  is  going  to  go  in  the  tank  and  how  it  will  benefit  another  life  form  and  try  to  make  the  tank  on  the  theme  of  'symbiotism'  I  guess  this  is  a  more  practical  and  simpler  way  of  starting  off  with  planning  a  salt  water  bio-tope.

Quote:                
btw,  does  the  name  "aquascapes"  have  anything  to  do  with  your  expertise  in  aquascaping???  I  could  surely  use  some  good  pointers.                  

be  my  guest!  I  would  be  more  than  happy  to  help  you  but,  first  let  me  know  what  you  really  want  to  do  and  what  are  your  system's  dimensions  so  that  we  could  first  work  out  if  your  system  is  really  capable  of  supporting  a  theme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ranjithc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:57 pm Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

Hey  Smile
 thanks  for  the  response.
 I  have  respnded  to  your  PM  and  given  some  details
 have  a  look.

Cheers
 Ranjith
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:08 am Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

ranjithc  wrote  (View  Post):                
murthy
 when  u  say  no  maroon  algae,  do  you  mean  the  slime  algae??
 that  would  be  wonderfull  news  Â Clapping  

do  yellow  tangs  require  lots  of  caves?  cause  am  planning  to  go  slightly  away  from  the  regular  aquascaping  of  a  wall  of  rocks  piled  against  the  back  glass.

Maybe  a  solitary  boulder  or  2  with  sea  grass  bed.  will  the  tang  leave  the  grass/weed  alone  or  will  it  be  biriyani  for  him?

Chuckle   lol,not  slime  algae,I  was  talking  about  peysonnelia.Something  like  coralline,but  more  velvetty,gorgeous  if  it  does  manage  to  grow.A  while  ago,my  tank  had  one  yellow  tang,and  one  japonicus(gold  rimmed)tang.They  decimated  all  types  of  wonderful  coralline,maroon,purple,what  have  you.Now  I  cant  say  for  sure  who  did  it,  because  the  two  tangs  in  question  used  to  move  around  like  siamese  twins(  Very Happy   only  they  didnt  exactly  look  identical!)But  I  ended  up  evicting  them  both,and  ever  since,  the  coralline  has  recovered,and  to  my  delight  some  patches  of  peysonnelia  have  shown  up.Two  types  of  caulerpa  turned  up  as  well,as  well  as  a  type  of  green  'grass'  on  the  rocks(Cladophora  prolifera?)Now  the  tank  looks  much  more  colorful,and  I  still  see  no  good  reason  to  re-introduce  the  marine  cows!

The  yellow  tangs  Ive  seen(the  9  of  them)are  too  busy  grazing  at  the  outer-most  (well  lit,algae  grown)layers  of  rock.No  time  to  bother  about  caves!Very  out-going.
ranjithc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:31 am Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

yoowch!!  Shocked  
 I  like  this  "Peyssonnelia"  stuff.  looks  nice  n  yes  velvetty  for  lack  of  another  word  to  describe  it.  actually  have  lots  of  this  on  many  rocks  which  are  now  almost  completely  covered  with  this.

I  have  maroon  and  dark  brown.
 red  coralline  just  started  growing.

btw,  since  we  have  deviated  from  the  topic  anyways,
 dones  anyone  have  the  following  experience?

1.  Coralline  growing  in  plates  on  the  live  rock.  If  i  dint  know  better  would  think  it  is  plate  coral.  dull  brown  colour.  shape  is  like  a  semi  circle  but  curves  inwards  to  wards  the  ends.

2.  It  has  some  sticky  type  of  gook  under  side  of  it.  like  some  threads  /  strands  of  mucus.  this  comes  only  on  the  biggest  fellow  (around  2.5  inches  across)  not  on  everyone.  but  surely  belongs  to  the  coralline  (?)  only  cause  it  slowly  gets  more  n  more  (cant  explain  but  can  rest  assured  that  it  is  part  of  this  only).

grows  only  in  one  corner  with  dim  light.

i  think  it  is  coralline  only  cause  i  see  some  of  these  plates  on  other  rocks  with  the  typical  red  color.  but  no  sticky  (looks  sticky  havent  touched)  stuff  under  them.

my  coralline  grows  only  on  the  live  rock  n  not  on  the  glass  (thankfully)

anyone  has  some  similar  experience????????
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:16 am Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

Are  these  plates  greenish  brown  and  are  there  transparent  bags  underneath  it?  I  have  a  similar  growth  of  this  plating  type  of  whatever  Smile
ranjithc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:01 pm Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

Rock On   yes  sir  Beta,
 same  thing..  some  thing  similar  to  what  you  mention.

colour  am  SURE  of  but  bags  am  not  sure.  maybe  my  plates  got  their  bags  ripped  off  by  some  critter???   Chuckle  

am  checking  on  WWM.  let  me  see  if  i  find  something.
ranjithc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:13 pm Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

i  just  checked  on  WWM
 it  is  coralline  only  and  surely  not  anything  else.
 if  you  touch  it  it  will  not  feel  slimy  like  the  diatoms  or  cyno
 but  will  be  a  bit  flexible  like  a  sheet  of  plastic  or  something.

check  this  url  http://www.wetwebmedia.com/corallinealg.htm
 this  is  what  it  should  look  like  after  it  completely  covers  the  rock

the  colour  i  hear  is  totally  dependeny  on  the  lights  we  have  in  the  tank

however,  have  not  yet  been  able  to  find  out  what  color  light  gives  what  color  coralline   Chuckle  

any  comments  /  suggestion  IAH  members??????????????
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:34 pm Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

Ranjithji,  when  am  i  invited  at  your  place  for  a  photo  shoot?!  Chuckle  
 people  will  be  able  to  'get'  your  tank  a  lot  better  then..
ranjithc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:44 pm Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

amodji,
 aaphi  ka  banaya  tank  hai  bhai

anytime  you  can  drop  in..  but  i  will  not  let  you  go  without  the  baserocks  one  of  these  days   Chuckle  

actually  a  scary  thought  came  in  my  mind,  if  i  put  pics  of  my  tank  then  noone  will  ever  believe  a  word  i  say  with  all  the  slime  algae  n  white  live  rocks  heheheheh

Drinking
ranjithc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

amodji,
 by  the  way,  forgot  to  tell  you.  
 your  mushrooms  had  a  good  feats  yest  nite  ofcyclopeeze.

the  polyps  are  beyond  help  from  day  one  but  the  tentacled  mushroom  is  well  n  good.
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:29 pm Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

This  is  what  I  have  in  my  tank

Now  they  have  transparent  semicircular  bags  growing  underneath  them.  Will  post  pics  of  them  soon.
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:46 am Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

Same  thing  in  my  tank  too,  But  the  tip  coming  away  from  the  rock  broke  off  few  days  back.
 Similar  colour  too.
 How  is  your  marine  tank  doing  beta  ?

Rahul
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:25 am Post subject: Re: Schooling Reef safe fish Reply with quote

so  so..  nothing  great.  Its  one  big  dust  farm  I  dunno  why!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: