86. Guest
87. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,825

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - New Fish Only tank Setup.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

New Fish Only tank Setup.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranjithc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:13 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

hehe
 yea,  sounds  like  an  oxymoron  straight  out   Chuckle  
 i  guess  she  meant  no  crushed  coral  since  there  is  no  sump  /  refugium  in  the  options.

dont  worry  about  height.  6  inches  less  will  not  give  you  a  huge  benefit  to  reach  inside  to  the  bottom.  you  will  anyways  have  to  get  on  a  stool  types  to  clean  etc.

also,  if  u  have  24  inches  total  and  6"DSB  then  you  will  end  up  with  only  around  12-15"  of  water  column  and  will  rather  less.

you  could  go  for  the  30  incher  and  add  the  DSB  to  make  it  24"

also,  with  a  FOWLR,  what  need  will  there  be  to  reach  inside  much  at  depth?

once  you  have  the  scaping  done,  then  you  shud  not  have  to  reach  till  the  bottom  areas  anyways.
ranjithc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:22 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

check  wetwebmedia  for  DSB
 you  will  get  much  interesting  articles.
pree
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:10 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

Sorry  Ppl...my  browser  acting  up...  I  meant  DSB  with  live  rock...Dunno  what  I  was  thinking  in  writing  BB!!!

Ranjith...currently  I  am  getting  cost  estimates  from  some  trusted  LFS  ppl...Will  keep  everyone  posted...
codename
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:13 am Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

base  rock  help  us  to  siphon  the  gravel  easy  and  fast  and  it  will  not  play  a  major   role  in  nitrification.  but  any  dead  rock  will  become  live  rock  later.  please  don't  forget  that.

regards

sampath
venket
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:57 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

Pree:

Dont  be  worried  about  the  weight.  I  got  2  X  6  footers  and  2  X  4  footers  in  a  mezanine  floor  without  and  columns  below.  Apparently  when  consulting  an  architect,  I  was  told  that  the  Slab  thickness  is  generally  calcutated  to  take  up  a  weight  of  8  tonnes.  Hence  a  4  footer  might  not  be  a  problem.  Madan  has  mammoth  sized  tanks  in  his  balcony  on  the  first  floor  of  his  house.

Venket
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:14 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

codename  wrote  (View  Post):                

Shankar  wrote  (View  Post):                
Installing  the  skimmer  after  the  system  cycles,  is  logically  very  right                  

any  specific  reason?     Smile  please  let  us  know..

regards

sampath                

So  that  the  minimal  micro-organic  dieoff  still  remains  in  the  tank  and  help  the  cycling.
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:32 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

pree  wrote  (View  Post):                
If  you  were  to  setup  a  system  with  the  tank  I  mentioned  (w/o  and  with  sump)  ...could  you  tell  me  how  you  would  go  about  it?                

As  long  as  LP  doesn't  make  a  stupid  fun  of  me.  :  )
ranjithc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:59 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

codename  wrote  (View  Post):                
base  rock  help  us  to  siphon  the  gravel  easy  and  fast  and  it  will  not  play  a  major  Â role  in  nitrification.  but  any  dead  rock  will  become  live  rock  later.  please  don't  forget  that.

Â   Â   Â   Â   Â regards

Â   Â   Â   Â   sampath                

Sampath,
 How  does  Base  rock  Â help  siphon  easily  compared  to  live  rock?
 Siphon  has  no  connection  with  the  fact  if  rok  is  live  or  base.

regarding  the  base  rock  becoming  live  after  a  period  of  time,  i  would  disagree  partially.  just  some  bacteria  colonising  does  not  mean  the  rock  is  live  Smile

live  rock  is  very  porus  this  is  what  makes  all  the  difference.  the  nitrifying  bacteria  need  a  physical  space  to  attach  and  multiply.
 base  rock  is  less  porus  and  thus  provides  less  surface  area.
 live  rock  is  more  porus  and  this  will  help  nitrification  by  promoting  anaerobic  areas  deep  within  it.

Also,  live  rock  is  made  of  calcium  carbonate  and  will  help  buffer  your  alk  and  ph  better  than  base  rock  (unless  base  rock  is  of  limestone)
ApurvaP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:48 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

Pree

The  access!

One  factor  which  will  be  ignored  while  calculating  the  height  of  the  tank  is  how  tall  are  u  gonna  keep  the  tank  from  the  floor.  Eg.  I  am  6'  tall  and  i  have  tank  which  is  30"  which  is  places  18"  above  the  ground.  i.e.  the  tank  comes  around  51"  from  the  floor  .  Remember  i  have  calculated  3  "  more  for  the  thermacol  and  wooden  base  etc  u  use.  Also  if  u  have  a  front  support  of  the  top  of  your  tank  (which  u  surely  would  have)   add  another  6"  to  the  height  ie.  57"  ie.  4.75'  which  is  almost  close  to  where  my  underarm  comes  to.  Not  trying  to  sound  gross  but  very  practical  here.  Now  all  this  math  was  just  when  I  was  accessing  the  front  of  my  tank.  The  tank  depth  will  add  more  to  it.  So  a  stoll  is  mandatory  for  any  tank  more  than  20"  in  height  and  more  than  1.5'  in  width.  Again  not  to  forget  the  distance  from  the  tank  base  till  the  floor  is  very  important.

The  weight!

Thats  how  i  do  it.  
      L  x  W  X  H  (inches)  /  231  will  give  you  the  gallaons  of  your  tank
      1  US  gallon  is  approx  3.78  Liters.  and  1  liter  is  approx  1  Kg

So  a  100  Gallon  tank  contains  378  Kgs  of  water  (approx)  
       +
      LR  approx  100  Kg  
      +
      Base  rock  Aprrox  50  Kg  (they  are  very  heavy)
      +
      Tank  glass  weight  Approx  100  Kg
      +
       Sand  150  Kgs  aapprox     
       +
       Stand  weight  Aprrox  150  Kg  (I  have  stand  made  out  of  solid  55mm  bars)
       +
    Hood  and  other  fitments  Approx  15  Kg

All  this  would  sum  to  950Kgs   approx

And  this  is  a  dead  weight!  Its  goonna  be  there  24  x  7  

As  per  as  my  knowlegde  goes  a  building  with  a  proper  maintainence  (  Not     a  chawl)  in  Mumbai  can  easily  bear  weight  upto  1500kgs  just  for   a  tank  provided  its  not  on  a  cantilever  ie.  a  balcony  or  even  a  balcony  or  a  parapet!  

PHEW!
ranjithc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:03 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

pree
 what  cost  estimate  for  DSB?
 just  get  play  sand  and  do  it.

if  you  are  thinking  of  aragonite  of  sugar  fine  consistency,  you  will  go  broke   ROFL
pree
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:21 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

ApurvaP  wrote  (View  Post):                
Pree

The  access!

One  factor  which  will  be  ignored  while  calculating  the  height  of  the  tank  is  how  tall  are  u  gonna  keep  the  tank  from  the  floor.  Eg.  I  am  6'  tall  and  i  have  tank  which  is  30"  which  is  places  18"  above  the  ground.  i.e.  the  tank  comes  around  51"  from  the  floor  .  Remember  i  have  calculated  3  "  more  for  the  thermacol  and  wooden  base  etc  u  use.  Also  if  u  have  a  front  support  of  the  top  of  your  tank  (which  u  surely  would  have)   add  another  6"  to  the  height  ie.  57"  ie.  4.75'  which  is  almost  close  to  where  my  underarm  comes  to.  Not  trying  to  sound  gross  but  very  practical  here.  Now  all  this  math  was  just  when  I  was  accessing  the  front  of  my  tank.  The  tank  depth  will  add  more  to  it.  So  a  stoll  is  mandatory  for  any  tank  more  than  20"  in  height  and  more  than  1.5'  in  width.  Again  not  to  forget  the  distance  from  the  tank  base  till  the  floor  is  very  important.

The  weight!

Thats  how  i  do  it.  
      L  x  W  X  H  (inches)  /  231  will  give  you  the  gallaons  of  your  tank
      1  US  gallon  is  approx  3.78  Liters.  and  1  liter  is  approx  1  Kg

So  a  100  Gallon  tank  contains  378  Kgs  of  water  (approx)  
       +
      LR  approx  100  Kg  
      +
      Base  rock  Aprrox  50  Kg  (they  are  very  heavy)
      +
      Tank  glass  weight  Approx  100  Kg
      +
       Sand  150  Kgs  aapprox     
       +
       Stand  weight  Aprrox  150  Kg  (I  have  stand  made  out  of  solid  55mm  bars)
       +
    Hood  and  other  fitments  Approx  15  Kg

All  this  would  sum  to  950Kgs   approx

And  this  is  a  dead  weight!  Its  goonna  be  there  24  x  7  

As  per  as  my  knowlegde  goes  a  building  with  a  proper  maintainence  (  Not     a  chawl)  in  Mumbai  can  easily  bear  weight  upto  1500kgs  just  for   a  tank  provided  its  not  on  a  cantilever  ie.  a  balcony  or  even  a  balcony  or  a  parapet!  

PHEW!                

Apu...Thanks  for  the  looooooooooong  post...It  addresses  most  of  my  concerns...What  do  you  mean  by  support  of  the  front  of  the  tank?  Also  mine  is  rested  on  sheets  of  thermocole  about  6"  from  the  ground...Thats  how  I  have  kept  my  discus  tank...

As  for  as  the  place  is  concerned...I  am  keeping  the  tank  in  my  room...and  its  a  2  your  old  building  of  a  very  reputed  builder...
ApurvaP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:31 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

If  u  see  bigger  tanks  i.e   bigger  than  2"  there  will  be  a  glass  support  on  the  top,  called  the  support  patti.  Its  a  2"3"  wide  12mm  thick  glass  which  runs  the  entire  length  of  the  tank  to  prevent  the  glass  from  breaking  beacuse  of  bending.  See  any  big  tank  and  you  will  know.  If  stil  not  clear  i  can  click  a  pic  for  you.

A  2  your   building  will  be  great  and  since  its  in  your  room  nothing  has  to  be  worried  about.  

Thnk  50  times  about  the  design  of  the  hood.  And  think  in  such  a  way  that  u  can  make  a  provision  for  a  MH  later.  

I  can  really  help  you  with  things  having  space  Constrains.  You  wont  belive  the  way  i  have  housed  my  sump  and  then  a  chiller  next  to  it.  Hehe

And  your  tank  bottom  will  be  6"  from  the  ground?  Thats  really  low!  You  are  not  gonna  use  a  stand?  Any  specific  reason  for  keepin  the  tank  so  low?  You  dont  plan  for  a  sump  ever?
pree
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:41 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

I  think  i  get  you  regarding  the  support...

Hood  Design...I  am  thinking  a  million  times  about  the  whole  tank  design..
 Please  do  elaborate  on  how  you  think  my  hood  shd  be  designed..I'll  put  up  a  diagram  of  my  space  so  that  you  get  a  better  idea..

I  know  the  bottom  is  too  less...but  thats  fine  with  me...I  am  not  too  tall  and  so  I  think  the  6"  will  be  fine..  I  am  about  5'4"...
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:25 pm Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

Shankar  wrote  (View  Post):                

pree  wrote  (View  Post):                
If  you  were  to  setup  a  system  with  the  tank  I  mentioned  (w/o  and  with  sump)  ...could  you  tell  me  how  you  would  go  about  it?                

As  long  as  LP  doesn't  make  a  stupid  fun  of  me.  :  )                

he  he  he!
 see  what  ever  LR  that  goes  in  your  tank  is  either  shipped  or  transported  from  one  place  to  another  and  unless  the  transit  period  is  really  really  short  there  is  bound  to  be  a  die  off  on  the  rock  however  small  but,  will  be  there  -  I  would  go  with  skimmer  from  the  very  initial  phase  as  it  is  one  filter  that  starts  working  from  day  one  and  does  not  need  to  be  matured.
 Apu,  let  me  just  correct  you  -  any  rock  or  solid  object  placed  in  the  tank  displaces  water  so  the  water  contained  in  the  tank  decreases  in  volume  thus  the  weight  is  decreased.
 Pree,  would  surely  like  to  see  the  diagram  or  a  picture  where  the  tank  is  going  to  be  placed  so  that  a  logical  suggestion  can  be  made.
 Remember,  if  the  tank  is  placed  too  low  you  will  have  to  stoop  down  to  enjoy  it  this  is  often  stressful  for  your  back.
 And  yes  I  would  go  with  12mm  to  be  rest  assured.
 Ranjith,  you  still  seem  to  be  fascinated  by  a  dsb  don't  you?  he  he!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pree
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:39 am Post subject: Re: New Fish Only tank Setup. Reply with quote

Diag:
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: