227. Guest
228. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,784

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Need help - Marine tank setup
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Need help - Marine tank setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:01 pm Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

There  is  one  good  starter  post  for  marine  beginers  as  well  Smile

By  Arvind(pironya)-
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3533&start=0

and  a  helpful  one  from  Nauzer(aquascapes)-
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3314

Some  experienced  workout  Smile  -
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3301&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Hope  it  helps  for  knowing  the  basics.
 Reg,
 Saikumar.
nimmat
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:10 pm Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

Sorry,  I  have  not  yet  gone  thought  the  links  but  would  like  to  add  my  thoughts:

A  salt  water  tank  is  a  pretty  expensive  setup  and  the  cost  of  the  tank  is  probably  the  cheapest  part  of  it  and  in  the  long  run,  a  large  tank  will  pay  for  itself  many  folds  especially  in  terms  of  maintening  stability,  reduced  water  changes,  health  of  live  stock  and  critters.

A  Nano  does  work  but  it  is  really  recomended  for  experts  or  for  some  one  who  has  had  a  1  your  experience  in  keeping  marine  fish  and  corals  alive  and  knows  what  he  is  doing.

A  nano  is  also  very  succeptible  to  algae  outbreaks  which  can  be  determinental  to  the  invertebrates  (I  mean  corals).  The  reef  side  of  hobby  is  indeed  very  interesting  but  needs  a  lot  of  hard  work  for  the  first  few  months  and  a  nano  will  probably  need  this  hard  work  for  about  a  year  I  assume.  You  may  think  you  can  do  this  hard  work  but  as  a  newbie  in  saltwater  with  no  experience,  you  will  only  be  able  to  cope  if  you  either  dont  work  or  dont  go  to  uni/college.  In  a  working  life  style,  a  nano  as  a  starter  would  really  be  inviting  trouble.  I  would  strongly  suggest  you  to  reconsider  and  get  a  bigger  tank.  It  will  be  much  easier  to  take  care  of  and  will  not  give  you  sleepless  nights  and  it  will  actually  be  more  enjoyable  Wink

Personally  in  a  small  tank  I  would  not  have  anything  more  than  a  single  clownfish.

Just  my  2  pence  worth  of  advice...  some  people  may  not  agree  with  me  but  my  last  few  months  of  researching  and  keeping  a  saltwater  tank  has  taught  me  this  lesson  and  I  wish  I  had  gone  for  a  tank  larger  then  400  liters.

Nim
raindeepak4u
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:31 pm Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

ya  tats  right   tritha.....................
arvindshetty
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:54 pm Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

saltwater  aquarium  needs  much  more  than  a  tank  and  equipments.
 first  research  the  basics  of  water  chemistry   required  for  marine  aquarium.
 also  as  nimmat  said  before  starting  a  saltwater  aquarium  take  considerations  of  the  expenses  in  maintenance  for  the  aquarium.  
   also  suraj  has  given  a  nice  idea  of  starting  a  marine   tank  in  a  3  footer  tank.
codename
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:54 am Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

hi,
 guys  please  don't  scare  aquaboy.  let  him  start  with  this  nano  iam  sure  later  he  will  upgade  it  to  6ft..  iam  sure  aqua  boy  you  will  not  satisfy  with  your  nano.  later  even  a  6ft  will  not  be  enough  for  you..  my  lill  experience  salt  water  is  a  drug(addiction)  i  guess  marine  hobbyiest  will  agree.  and  this  is  what  happening  to  me  and  my  chennai  friends  50%  of  our  IT  income  goes  to  LFS..  and  thank  god  iam  not  married.  iam  sure  reefer  should  never  get  married.  so  better  start  with  a  big  tank  rather  than  going  for  smaller  size  tank..  if  your  married  don't  go  for  reef  tank  not  even  a  nano  my  request  only  one  delicate  item  should  be  housed  either  wife  or  reef..  but  i  prefer  my  reef  not  my  gfriend.  hope  she  doesnt  come  across  ths  thread..  hee.he..  and  welcome  to  salt  addiction..  all  the  very  best.

regards

sampath
nimmat
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:58 am Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

codename  wrote  (View  Post):                
hi,
 guys  please  don't  scare  aquaboy.  let  him  start  with  this  nano  iam  sure  later  he  will  upgade  it  to  6ft..  iam  sure  aqua  boy  you  will  not  satisfy  with  your  nano.  later  even  a  6ft  will  not  be  enough  for  you..  my  lill  experience  salt  water  is  a  drug(addiction)  i  guess  marine  hobbyiest  will  agree.  and  this  is  what  happening  to  me  and  my  chennai  friends  50%  of  our  IT  income  goes  to  LFS..  and  thank  god  iam  not  married.  iam  sure  reefer  should  never  get  married.  so  better  start  with  a  big  tank  rather  than  going  for  smaller  size  tank..  if  your  married  don't  go  for  reef  tank  not  even  a  nano  my  request  only  one  delicate  item  should  be  housed  either  wife  or  reef..  but  i  prefer  my  reef  not  my  gfriend.  hope  she  doesnt  come  across  ths  thread..  hee.he..  and  welcome  to  salt  addiction..  all  the  very  best.

Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â regards

Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â sampath                

Brilliant.  I  agree  with  every  word  of  this.  Either  you  hypnotize  your  wife  to  agree  to  keeping  a  reef  tank  or  forget  about  it.  However  things  may  be  different  if  you  are  not  married  and  then  later  you  can  groom  your  better  half  into  it...  it  always  does  not  work  though   Crying or Very sad  

Nim
pree
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:02 am Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

hi,

regards

sampath                

Now  all  we  need  is  for  sampath  to  get  married  and  then  we  can  all  stand  under  his  office  window  and  catch  all  the  stuff  his   wife  throws  out  of  the  marine  tank  ...Very Happy

Just  Kidding  Sampath!
codename
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:10 am Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

pree  wrote  (View  Post):                

hi,

Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â regards

Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â   Â sampath                

Now  all  we  need  is  for  sampath  to  get  married  and  then  we  can  all  stand  under  his  office  window  and  catch  all  the  stuff  his  Â wife  throws  out  of  the  marine  tank  ...Very Happy

Just  Kidding  Sampath!                

ha..ha.  pree  at  last  you  got  to  catch  my  wife  too..  ha..  ha..   i  mean  i  will  throw  her  out..  who  know  it  might  work  the  opposite  way  too..  she  might  throw  me  out  and  keep  the  reef  tank..  ha.  ha...  poor  sam..  may  god  bless  you  sam..  

regards

sampath
nimmat
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:08 am Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

ha..ha.  pree  at  last  you  got  to  catch  my  wife  too..  ha..  ha..  Â i  mean  i  will  throw  her  out..  who  know  it  might  work  the  opposite  way  too..  she  might  throw  me  out  and  keep  the  reef  tank..  ha.  ha...  poor  sam..  may  god  bless  you  sam..  

Â   Â   Â   Â   Â regards

Â   Â   Â   Â   Â sampath                

Chuckle   ROFL  Already  tried  this  option   Thumb Down  my  Father  in  law  is  actually  a  lawyer   Shocked   I  would  be  in  deep  trouble....  Thats  why  I  went  the  hypnosis  way  Wink
aquaboy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:00 pm Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

Dear  Friends,
             Thanks  a  lot  of  your  concern.  I  know  that  a  nano  reef  is  tough  to  maintain.I  am  ready  to  spend  time  on  it  because  i  have  about  2  to  3  hours  a  day  for  my  fishes  (not  married  yet).  I  have  decided  to  go  for  a  fish  (clowns  -  one  or  two)  only  tank  with  some  live  rocks.  if  possible  some  good  looking  Zoanthids.

Thats  my  plan  for  a  while  may  be  if  I  succeed  in  this  nano  attempt,  I  may  expand  it  to  another  3  footer  but  not  bigger  than  that.

Thanks
 Aquaboy.
ilango_slk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:56 am Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

Go  ahead  aquaboy  start  you  your  nano  and  keep  a  close  tab  on  the  water  parameters.  The  experts  of  IAH  will  be  always  willing  to  help  you  if  you  get  into  trouble.

All  the  best.

Ilango
aquaboy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:05 am Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  friends,

I  will  be  starting  my  Nano  Marine  tank  in  the  month  of  May  (currently  on  an  official  tour).  Will  keep  you  posted  on  the  progress  once  I  start  the  nano.  

To  sum  up  the  thread  :

-  One  can  go  for  a  Nano  Marine  tank  (fish  +  Live  rock  only)  provided  he/she  can  spend                 adequate  time  for  monitoring  the  water  parameters.

-   A  BIG  strict  no  for  Anemones  in  a  small  niche  tank  (Anemones  require  a  bigger  well  established  tank  to  thrive)

-  Restrict  your  live  stock  to  a  minimum  (one  or  two  fishes  -  Clowns  /  Damsels)

-  Basic  equipments  required  (other  than  those  required  for  a  Freshwater  tank):

1.   Protein  Skimmer
            2.   A  Sump  filter  
            3.   PowerHead  for  current
            4.   Water  Chemistry  testing  kits  (Ammonia,Nitrates)
            5.   Water  Salinity  meter
            6.   Heater  (do  we  need  it  in  Chennai  ???)
            7.   Above  all  a  Loving  Host  -  You........

Kindly  add  anything  I  have  missed  out.

Thanks,
 Aquaboy
nimmat
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:19 pm Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

1:  Get  the  best  protien  skimmer  you  can  get.  There  is  no  replacement  for  protien  skimming  in  a  marine  tank  if  you  plan  on  keeping  corals.
 2:  What  size  sump  are  you  planning  on?
 3:  Try  to  get  stream  pumps  or  wave  maker  pumps  instead  of  powerheads.  The  circulate  a  lot  more  water  than  powerheads  and  consume  1/4  of  the  energy.  eg:  Hydor  koralia  4400lph  stream  pump  takes  up  only  12  watts  while  a  hydor  seltz  30  powerhead  at  1200lph  takes  up  27W.  Besids,  corals  prefer  the  flow  from  streams  as  the  jet  flow  from  powerheads  can  stress  them.
 4:  Ammonia,  Nitrite  &  nitrate  are  the  most  essential.  PH  is  equally  essential  as  fluctuating  PH  can  be  determinental  to  invertebrates.  Apart  from  this,  if  you  plan  on  stony  corals  then  you  will  need  calcium,  mg  as  well.  Phosphate  kit  will  also  be  handy  if  you  get  algae  outbrakes.
 5:  For  water  salinity,  go  for  a  Refractometer  if  you  can.  Hydrometer  is  good  enough  but  is  not  accurate.
 6:  Personally,  it  is  wise  to  put  a  heater  in  the  tank  incase  the  temp  drops.  It  wont  consume  a  lot  of  electricity  in  chennai  as  it  will  only  come  on  when  the  temperature  drops.  Not  worth  taking  a  risk.
 7:  During  the  initial  stages  (or  even  for  the  future)  it  will  be  handy  to  have  some  activated  carbon  at  hand  if  ever  needed.  I  would  run  the  activated  carbon  in  the  tank  for  a  week  before  introducing  the  first  fish/coral.
 8:  What  lighting  have  you  decided  on?

Nim
aquaboy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

Dear  Nim,
            Thanks  a  lot,  point  taken.  If  you  can  PM  me  the  brands  it  would  be  better  so  that  I  can  buy  them  from  here  (Phillipines  -  believe  its  better  to  buy  Marine  related  Items  in  Philippines  than  in  India  -  correct  me  if  I  am  wrong)           

What  Iam  planning  is  a  tank  with  Fish  and  live  rocks.  I  am  not  sure  whether  having  coral  is  a  necessity.

I  am  not  ready  for  a  reef  as  of  now.  Hence  just  focussing  on  a  bare  minimum  requirement  to  kick  start  the  tank.  as  we  all  know,  once  started  its  easy  to  expand.

Aquaboy.
nimmat
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:09 pm Post subject: Re: Need help - Marine tank setup Reply with quote

PM  sent  but  it  would  be  better  if  people  in  India  give  you  a  better  idea  of  equipment  as  you  want  something  that  can  be  repaired/replaced  in  India.

People  prefer  to  keep  corals  in  nano  tanks  rather  then  a  fish  only  because  a  fish  only  with  live  rock  nano  would  look  pretty  much  drab.  You  can  certainly  have  a  few  soft  corals  to  start  with  like  leather  toadstools  or  zoanthids  or  the  xenia  and  its  relatives  and  also  mushrooms.  A  nano  with  only  a  pair  of  clown  and  no  corals  will  not  give  an  impact  of  a  reef  especially  considering  that  corals  do  not  add  much  to  the  bioload  and  if  you  have  a  skimmer  and  plenty  of  live  rock,  they  can  do  well  under  moderate  lighting.  They  are  certainly  worth  a  try  Wink

Corals  however  will  need  respectable  lighting  where  as  a  fish  only  tank  will  be  ok  with  a  single  T8  bulb.

Nim
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: