198. Guest
199. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,808

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - NEW MARINE TANK SETUP
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

NEW MARINE TANK SETUP

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discusrama
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:43 pm Post subject: NEW MARINE TANK SETUP Reply with quote

Hi  All,  :lol:  

This  is  my  first    go  at  setting  up  a  marine  tank.  I  am  planning  to  setup  a  Fish  Only(FO)  marine  tank  (three  numbers).
 Tank  size  :  48"  L  x  18"W  x  24"H

Well,  you  may  ask  why  three?  One  main  tank,  One  Quarantine  tank(QT)  and  one  saltwater  mix  tank.  

I  read  Simba's  DIY  article  and  was  highly  impressed.  However,  i  cannot  invest  25  -  75K  at  the  moment,  for  a  new  setup.  

I  am  good  with  my  hands  and  can  make  articles  from  PVC,  wood,  acrylic.  
 Request  help/info  on  sourcing  simple  equipments  &  accessories.  I  believe  that  i  can  get  a  lot  of  info  from  all  you  guys  &  gals  here.

TBR,
 Rama
simba
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:57 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Rama,

Let  me  try  and  suggest  an  approach  so  your  fish  only  tank  (all  3)  can  be  setup  at  a  low  cost.

1)  Your  3  tanks  should  cost  you  around  4K  each,  so  around  12  K  for  tanks  (without  hood).
 2)  You  will  need  undergravel  filter  and  you  can  make  them  as  i  have  described  in  my  article.  It  is  cheap  and  effective  and  i  would  consider  total  cost  at  around  Rs.  1500/-  for  all  3.
 3)  You  will  need  at  least  two  powerheads  on  each  UG  filter.  Total  cost  should  be  around  3000/-  for  6  powerheads?  I  am  not  sure.  You  may  however,  avoid  the  3rd  UG  filter  and  powerheads  in  the  water  storage  tank.  So  let  us  consider  only  two  tanks  with  UG  filter  and  none  in  the  3rd  one.
 4)  I  suggest  you  make  a  sump  which  can  have  your  biological  filtration.  I  will  give  you  a  link  that  will  give  you  all  details  about  sump  and  how  to  make  it  and  operate  it.  It  should  cost  you  around  10  K  but  it  can  be  a  lifelong  thing  and  very  good  for  a  FO  tank  too.  It  is  10  K  because  you  will  need  a  good  pump  to  circulate  the  water.  A  sump  is  nothing  but  another  tank,  which  is  hidden  below  the  main  tank  and  has  plumbing  to  circulate  water  thru  different  filter  materials.  http://www.melevsreef.com  .  Since  you  like  to  work  on  glass,  plastics  and  acrylic,  you  can  make  the  sumps  easily.  If  you  want  to  avoid  sumps,  you  can  also  try  to  make  the  filtration  within  the  aquarium  itself,  on  its  back  wall.  In  this  case  you  have  to  make  the  width  of  your  aquarium  extra  by  about  6  inches.  The  back  section  can  house  the  filter  media  and  water  can  be  circulated  in  and  out  of  that  section  by  sing  a  simple  powerhead.  It  is  very  inexpensive  to  bulild  and  use  this  type  of  a  filter.  I  shall  paste  the  link  on  my  next  post,  as  i  cannot  find  it  now.  This  should  cost  you  an  additional  2K  considering  the  cost  of  glass  for  construction,  pasting,  filter  media  (  plastic  tube  elbows  or  bioballs,  whichever  you  can  get)  and  one  powerhead  for  circulating  the  water.  This  is  all  about  bilological  and  chemical  filtration.  UG  filter  provides  both  bio  and  mechanical  filtration  and  ensures  clear  water.  So,  let  us  consider  thye  cost  of  filtration  for  each  tank  at  Rs.  2000/-.

5)  Aquarium  substrate  consists  of  either  Aragonite  (live  sand)  or  sea  sand  or  shell  dust  for  a  marine  setup.  Get  whatever  you  can  get  you  hands  on  and  i  presume  it  will  cost  you  around  Rs  50  a  Kg,  so  around  Rs  1000/-  per  tank  minnimum,  for  two  tanks.  I  do  not  recommend  a  bare  bottom  tank  without  an  UG  filter  for  a  sutainable  marine  tank,  even  if  it  is  FO.  

6)  Lighting  can  be  anything  that  fancies  you.  Get  any  flourescent  tubes  as  light  parameters  are  not  important  in  these  tanks.  As  long  as  it  looks  good,  its  fine  :-)  Say  Rs  1500/-  per  tank.

So,  the  setup  for  each  of  the  fish  and  quarantine  tank  comes  to  around  Rs.  10,000/-  .  This  should  work,  only  if  you  cycle  the  tank  for  at  least  2  months  and  then  add  fish  one  by  one  to  your  quarantine  tank.  Only  after  3  weeks  of  quarantine,  add  one  fish  at  a  time  to  your  main  tank.  Post  quarantine,  you  may  keep  adding  fish  in  your  main  tank  every  week.  I  suggest  you  add  the  meek  varieties  like  common  clowns  first  and  then  one  or  3  damsels,  never  two,  at  a  time  and  then  slowly  larger  specimen  like  an  angel  or  so.  A  4  feet  tank  should  allow  you  to  keep  around  12  fish  of  upto  2  inches  size  with  one  or  two  larger  angels.  Must  have  hiding  places  for  the  fish  as  refuge  or  they  get  stressd  and  die.  So  add  some  live  rock  if  you  can.  cost  around  Rs  100-200  a  KG.  or  you  may  add  any  marine  origin  rock.  Even  fibre  glass  or  plastic  hiding  places  should  work,  if  they  are  non  toxic  in  marine  water.  Never  use  any  metallic  object,  not  even  a  thin  wire.  

Other  equipment  like  skimmer  needs  to  be  added,  but  you  can  toy  with  an  idea  of  making  one  yourself.  Looking  up  the  net  will  help.  You  can  add  a  skimmer  later  too.  Just  make  sure  you  feed  very  little  and  there  is  no  food  residue  in  the  tank.  Not  even  a  dead  fish  for  too  long  a  period,  which  will  totally  pollute  your  water.  

Water  cost  will  be  around  Rs.  4-5  a  litre,  which  i  forgot  to  mention  above.  So  add  another  1500/-  per  tank  for  water.  Water  changes  of  around  10  %each  week  is  suggested  for  replenishing  trace  elements  of  the  sea  water.  This  will  help  you  avoid  use  of  supplements  like  trace  element  dosers  and  calcium  dosers.    Mind  you,  people  may  say  all  this  is  useless  in  a  FO  tank,  but  all  this  is  a  must  for  a  proper  sustainable  FO  tank  as  they  help  the  fish  feel  at  home  environment  and  thus  survive  disease  attacks  due  to  a  strong  immune  system  and  good  health.  Feeding  properly  also  helps  in  this.  Make  your  own  marine  food  mix,  turns  out  cheap  and  healthier  for  your  fish.  Top  up  the  water  loss  with  RO  water  as  there  is  really  no  substitute  for  this.  Kinley  mineral  water,  around  2  litres  a  day  for  each  tank.    :lol:  

Does  this  sound  like  a  complete  marine  FO  tank?  What  about  the  fish?  Well,  Fish  cost  from  Rs  200/-  each  to  around  Rs.  6000/-  each.  Choices  vary  among  individuals.

Maintenance  will  definitely  cost  around  Rs  1000/-  a  month  towards  water  changes,  top  up  and  feeding.

Hope  this  helps  you  to  some  extent.

Simba!
discusrama
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:08 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Simba,  :lol:  

U  really  are  a  great  help.  Thanks  for  the  reply.
 I  have  been  in  touch  with  various  importers  in  chennai  and  have  drawn  up  of  items  that  i  intend  procuring.  CORRECT  ME  IF  I  HAVE  SELECTED  WRONGLY.  AND  ALSO  RECOMMEND  ADD  SOME  OTHER  PRODUCTS.

Tanks  -  I  have  six  spare  tanks  -  so  no  problem.
 UG  Filter  -  I  will  be  making  myself.
 Skimmers  -  I  am  getting  the  non-motorized  type(as  i  have  a  very  high  capacity  blower).  Will  go  for  the  motorized  one  later.
 Sump  tank  -  Getting  one  made  in  my  workshop  from  plastic.
 Marine  Salt  -  Which  brand  to  buy???
 Coral  Sand  -  Rs.50/Kg.  SHOULD  I  ALSO  ORDER  THE  LIVE  ROCKS?
 Lighting  -  I  have  48"  Hitachi  blue  fittings
 Powerheads  -  am  getting  six  (three  spare)
 I  have  a  RO/DI  plant  lying  unused  with  one  of  my  clients.  Will  get  same.

Fishes  -  Will  get  clowns  &  damsels.    

Have  i  missed  out  anything?  

Bye,
 Rama  :lol:
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:22 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hello  discusrama!

What  I  suggest  is,dont  buy  any  fish  now.First,set  up  two  tanks...smaller  hospital  tank,and  larger  show  tank.Start  cycling.You  may  safely  assume  that  any  fish  purchased  before  complete  cycling  WILL  DIE.This  cycling  will  take  atleast  one  month,maybe  more.You  will  need  to  supply  ammonia  in  the  tanks  for  successful  cycling.This  may  be  done  in  the  following  ways
 1.add  a  hardy  goby/damsel(which  may  die)
 2.add  small  quantities  of  ammonia,bought  from  a  chemist.I  have  not  tried  this....but  its  do-able.
 3.This  is  the  best  one  in  my  opinion:Start  adding  live  rock  slowly,two  pieces  per  week,and  use  them  to  cycle  the  tank.Live  rock  will  need  to  cure,and  while  this  happens,some  amount  of  die  off  occurs.That  shld  supply  all  the  needed  ammonia.
 all  the  best!!
ApurvaP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:03 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

U  forgot  bacteria  and  test  kits!  Get  bacteria  and  Amonida  and  No3  test  kits!  That  will  tell  u  when  your  tank  is  ready  for  the  fish!  I  would  not  suggest  a  Hitachi  tubelight  Get  a  Azoo  Marine  Tube  light!  I  guess  its  called  coral  light  or  something.  Where  in  mumbai  are  u  from?
discusrama
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:24 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Adi  &  Apurva,  :lol:  

Thanks  a  ton.  Am  on  the  right  forum.  U  guys  are  a  great  help!

I  stay  at  Bhandup  East  in  mumbai.  My  office  is  at  Vikhroli.

I  will  get  the  coral  light.  And  yes,  no  buying  fishes  till  the  tank  is  setup.

Regards,
 Rama
ApurvaP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:58 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Rama  just  get  in  touch  with  me  before  u  buy  any  fish  as  i  dont  want  you  to  make  the  mistakes  that  i  have  done.  Now  i  know  where  o  get  fish  from  in  Mumbai!  Maybe  i  can  be  any  help  to  u!
simba
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:49 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Rama,

am  glad  you  find  useful  help  on  this  forum.  Thing  is  that  each  hobbyist  has  his  /  her  own  experiences  and  guides  accordingly  and  there  is  no  sure  shot  correct  method  for  doing  much  in  any  marine  setup.  AS  experts  have  said,  it  is  50  %  technology  and  50%  voodoo.  :lol:

You  may  add  live  rock  upto  50  kilos  to  make  it  look  good.  Create  lotsa  hiding  crevices  and  cavs  using  your  live  rock.  I  had  added  mine  after  cycling  for  3  weeks.  I  used  no  damsels,  bacteria  or  anything  for  the  cycling.  I  guess  the  bacteria  is  omnipresent  in  anything  of  marine  origin  like  live  rock  etc.  My  first  fish  after  cycling  with  live  rock  for  3  weeks  was  a  Domino.

Try  to  get  a  skimmer  that  works  well.  Test  kits  are  also  important.  Do  use  them  as  required.  Digital  ph  tester  is  also  necessary  as  the  liquid  test  kits  are  not  so  reliable.  

What  adi  and  apurva  have  said  is  also  very  important.

Good  luck.

Simba!
ApurvaP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:31 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Guys  dont  we  get  digital  No2  or  amonida  testers?  If  yes  whats  the  cost?  And  rama  eitehr  u  need  live  rocks  (CURE  THEM  TO  PREVENT  INFECTION,  I  HAVE  HAD  EXPERIENCES)  or  bactaria  and  a  damsel  to  cycle!  Can  i  belive  i  had  used  a  clown  and  damsel  to  cycle!  Both  are  doing  fine  till  now!
Dolphy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:46 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi!

I  don't  know  anthing  about  marine  tanks,  but  don't  you  require  a  hydrometer  to  check  the  salinity?  

Jenny
discusrama
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:09 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Jen,  :lol:  

Yes.  u  require  a  hydrometer  to  measure  the  salinity  when  getting  the  saltmix  ready.

Regards,
 Rama
discusrama
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:12 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Simba,  Adi,  Apurva;

Thanks.  I  am  hoping  to  start  from  tomorrow.  All  stuff  should  be  in  place  by  then.

Apurva,  PM  your  contact  number  and  i  will  get  in  touch  with  u  for  the  fishes.  Do  u  mean  buying  from  Rafat  or  the  market  guys?  I  was  planning  to  start  off  with  indian  marine  fish  &  since  franklin  from  sea  world  rameswaram  will  be  here  month  end  -  i  can  get  good  stuff  cheap.

Regards,  
 Rama  :lol:
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:51 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

ApurvaP  wrote:                
U  forgot  bacteria  and  test  kits!  ?                
yes!!but,you  know,I'm  a  miser  as  far  as  buying  goes.And  if  patiently  done,the  tank  can  be  tested  with  monos/scats.
 Bacteria  from  waterlife"bacterlife",and  Hagen"cycle"  are  good  products  i've  used.Curing  live  rock  in  the  tank  also  introduces  the  necessary  bacteria....so  save  money  on  the  bacteria  too.(isnt  the  hobby  expensive  enough  :lol:    :lol:  )
Lawrenze
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:08 pm Post subject: Re: NEW MARINE TANK SETUP Reply with quote

Hi                                                  
discusrama  wrote:                

I  am  good  with  my  hands  and  can  make  articles  from  PVC,  wood,  acrylic.  
 Request  help/info  on  sourcing  simple  equipments  &  accessories.  I  believe  that  i  can  get  a  lot  of  info  from  all  you  guys  &  gals  here.

TBR,
 Rama                

...Try  this  link...(Pls  copy  n  paste)http://ozreef.org/diy/index.html

Rgds
ApurvaP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:05 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

So  how  is  it  going  till  now?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: