91. Guest
92. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,814

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Hand spawning of Goldfish
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Hand spawning of Goldfish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Breeding & Fry Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SumanG
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:24 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

Hi,

Today  morning  at  7  AM  I  found  my  male  Goldfish  chasing  the  female.  Took  them  out  in  a  tub  and  in  2  hrs  lots  of  eggs.  The  males  and  the  females  were  together  all  the  time.  Kept  the  fishes  back  in  the  main  tank.
 Preety  excited  if  the  eggs  would  hatch.  
 I  did  a  water  (2  day  old  and  conditioned)  change  at  night  for  more  oxygen  in  the  tub.
 Any  suggestions  will  really  be  a  help.

Regards,
 Suman
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:37 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

Don't  forget  to  aerate  the  water!
SumanG
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:08 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

Hi  Madan,

Thnx  a  lot  for  the  suggestion.  I  could  aerate  the  water  in  the  day  time  because  I  have  only  1  pump.  At  night  I  use  the  aerator  in  my  main  tank  as  it  has  plants.
 But  by  the  end  of  second  day  ...  i.e.,  after  48  hrs  I  find  that  all  the  eggs  are  having  fungus  like  surroundings.
 Hope  its  too  late  for  me  to  do  anything.  Also  I  was  not  having  the  anti  fungal  drops.  And  now  putting  the  drops  won't  help  I  am  sure.
 Perhaps  next  time  when  Jack  lays  eggs,  will  use  the  anti  fulgal  drops  and  see  if  babies  hatch  from  them.
 This  time  perhaps  I  will  not  have  any  luck  with  them.  Still  I  would  keep  the  eggs  for  5  more  days  to  see  if  atleast  2-3  eggs  hatch.

Regards,
 Suman
Thillu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:28 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

I  believe  the  tub  was  not  prepared  for  this  spawn,  and  so  it  was  not  cycled  and  may  be  not  filled  with  aged  water  too.   Though,  am  sure  you  get  few  fry  this  time.     Thumbs Up  

But,  it  is  time  for  you  to  be  ready  for  the  next  spawn.   Your  gold  fish  will  breed  again  in  2  weeks  if  you  condition  them  properly.   So,  set  aside  a  tub  full  of  water  with  plants  like  moss  or  fern  in  it.   Aerate  them  in  the  night  for  the  next  two  weeks.

Be  ready  with  live  feeds  like  microworm,  and  keep  yourself  handy  on  BBS.
SumanG
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:08 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

Thnx  a  lot  Thilak  for  the  quick  response.
 Actually  the  water  in  the  tub  was  from  the  aquarium  itself  which  I  started  2  months  earlier(25%  -  50%  water  change  a  week).  Pictures  of  my  aquarium  and  the  tub  with  eggs  are  here:
 http://picasaweb.google.co.in/sumaghos/Fish

Now  almost  all  the  eggs  are  fungal  infected.
 I  was  wondering  what  might  be  the  reasons  why  the  eggs  are  spoiled:
 1)  Lack  of  aeration.
 2)  The  tub  being  plastic.
 3)  Eggs  lying  at  the  bottom  of  the  tub.
 4)  No  plants  in  the  tub.
 5)  Perhaps  the  male  did  not  do  his  job  properly  (Though  he  seemed  quite  Ok)
 6)  Fishes  fishes  being  young(1  your  2  months  old)
 7)  No  antifungal  drops.
 Cool  Temparature  not  maintained  (Was  at  room  tempareture  as  the  aquarium)
 9)  No  hand  spawning  was  involved.
 10)  Height  of  water  being  4  inches  deep.

I  would  like  to  retify  the  process  and  would  be  keen  to  take  care  next  time  eggs  are  laid.
 Should  I  keep  the  eggs  for  a  few  more  days?
 Please  help  !!

Regards,
 Suman[/url]
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:11 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

Fungus  on  the  eggs  -  unfertilised  eggs  among  other  reasons.

Your  moving  the  fish  at  the  last  minute  probably  got  the  female  to  abort.  The  male  was  too  scared  to  fertilise.
shishirkamat
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:54 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

Hi,
 Sorry  to  chip  in  late  but  here's  what  i  have  been  doing  
 1)As  soon  as  the  eggs  are  laid  ,keep  aeration  on  continously,add  Methylene  blue  immediately,a  few  drops  will  do
 2)The  eggs  will  hatch  within  3  days,do  not  feed  for  3  days,later  feed  green  water  or  infosoria  as  first  food
 3)Start  changing  water  after  the  first  week  with  a  plastic  airline  tube,take  care  that  fries  are  not  sucked  in
 4)If  possible  change  70%water  daily,Fries  cannot  tolerate  Amonia  and  Nitrites
 5)Feed  crushed  flakes,  and  freshly  cultured  brine  shrimps  for  rapid  growth
 6)  Cull  the  fries  which  are  deformed,single  tailed,bent  backs  etc,this  will  ensure  adequate  space  and  ample  food  for  the  existing  fries.
 Keep  this  regime  going  on  and  your  fries  will  grow  rapidly  within  2  months  time,ensure  maximum  care  in  terms  of  keeping  clean  water

With  warm  regards
 Shishir  kamat
laluprasad
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:32 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

shishirkamat  wrote  (View  Post):                
6)  Cull  the  fries  which  are  deformed,single  tailed,bent  backs  etc,                

I  thought  Bent  backs  were  hyped  as  Ryukins.   Smile
SumanG
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:44 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

Thnx  everybody  for  the  inputs.  Now  all  the  eggs  are  full  of  fungus  (After  3  days).
 Next  time  will  keep  all  those  inputs  in  mind.

Just  one  more  query:
 Keeping  eggs  in  plastic  tub.  Will  it  be  OK.

Rgds,
 Suman
Thillu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:54 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

that  is  not  the  problem  Suman,  I've  done  it  in  the  past.   I  raised  fries  in  plastic  tubs.

Madan  hit  the  nail  in  the  head,  dont'  do  any  changes  to  the  settings  in  the  last  minute.   If  you  are  really  serious  about  breeding  fish,  give  the  breeding  pair  their  own  home.
SumanG
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:03 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

Hurrey  !!!!  Can't  explain  the  happiness.
 Thilak  ...  a  very  special  THANX  to  you.  Just  an  hr  ago  ...  I  thought  of  throwing  the  spoiled  eggs.  Just  as  I  was  doing  a  close  scrutiny  .....  Amazing  !!!  .....  SEVEN  small  fishes  (Half  the  size  of  a  mosquito)  ...  were  there.
 Seperated  the  spoiled  eggs  from  the  tub  and  just  being  more  and  more  happy.
 As  Madan  had  said  ...  aerated  the  water.  Did  a  70%  water  change,  with  4  day  old  water.
 Then  sat  down  to  write  this  post,  which  helped  a  lot.
 Just  wondered  if  all  the  fries  would  grow  up  or  some  may  perish.  Food  I  guess  would  have  to  be  served  AFTER  3  DAYS.  Apart  from  boiled  egg  york  .....  what  else  could  be  found  in  Pune??
   Smile  Thanks  again  to  Thilak  for  all  the  support  and  encouragement.

Rgds
 Suman
Thillu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:44 am Post subject: Re: Hand spawning of Goldfish Reply with quote

good,  great  going  Suman.   Drinking  

Egg  yolk  would  spoil  the  water,  you  really  can't  rely  on  it  100%.   You  need  Infusoria.   Search  in  old  posts  for  culturing  Infusoria  and  google  it  too.

I  doubt  you  can  do  much  about  it  for  this  batch.   But  learn  about  growing  the  fry  and  keep  yourself  ready  for  the  next  batch.

I  suggest  you  to  start  a  new  thread  on  this  topic.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Breeding & Fry Care All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: