Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:53 am Post subject: Re: WTB Ecology of the Planted Aquarium
Amazon is most probably the only reliable source to get this book, unless you know a bookstore that can order it for you. Read the reviews on the bottom of the page from the link provoded by Ravi. This book is like a scientific paper but written in terms that most people can understand. If you just want to know how to set up Walstad type tank, that information is available for free on the net. This book is for you if you are intrested in science behind an of e aquarium set up. Do not complain that you have got a text book type of material . Shipping is $5 for a 4-6 Weeks delivery period. Customs will be @ Rs. 50/-.
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:54 am Post subject: Re: WTB Ecology of the Planted Aquarium
They made me pay Rs 50/- with proper receipts for the transaction and all at the post office. This was 6 months earlier so I am not sure if it was customs charge or something else. I also had a pesonal collection of books that I shipped to myself when I returned from US that was delivered without additional fee. I was just glad to have the books arrive .
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:41 am Post subject: Re: WTB Ecology of the Planted Aquarium
Very useful post Rana. Hope you will not mind if I add some more names of books in this thread.
Seems these are all must have books and all hobbiests can benefit. I am not sure that it is correct to add my queries on your post hence I want an advance apology if I am doing wrong.
Let us all have our experts opinion on the below list of books.
1. Windelov's Tropica Catalogue Aquarium Plants, text by Jiri Stodola,
published by TFH 1987 (ISBN 0-86622-289- - Absolutely beautiful
2. Water Plants in the Aquarium, A Complete Owner's Manual, Ines Scheurmann,
published by Barron's 1987 (ISBN 0-8120-3926-2)
3. Aquarium Plants Manual, Ines Scheurman, published by Barron's (year ?)
- - Both of the Scheurmann volumes are dirt cheap and excellent.
4. A Fishkeeper's Guide to Aquarium Plants, Barry James, published by Tetra
Press (Salamander Books 1986) (ISBN 3-923880-57-X). Another book well worth having.
5. The Complete Book of Aquarium Plants, Robert Allgayer and Jacques Teton,
published by Ward Locke Limited 1987 (originally published in French in 1986
as Plantes et Decors d'Aquarium) (ISBN 0-7063-6614-X). Another excellent over-all plant book.
6. Dennerle Nature Aquaristic System for a Problem-Free Aquarium, published
by Dennerle (year ?) (ISBN - ? I can't find one)
This is more a catalogue by a European company specialising in Dutch Style plant aquariums but it has great photos of plants.
7. Aquarium Plants, their identification, cultivation, and ecology, Dr.
Karel Rataj and Thomas J. Horeman, published by TFH 1977 (ISBN
Here for completeness, it is poorly organized and way out of date. I don't trust it very much.
8. The Optimum Aquarium, Kaspar Horst and Horst E. Kipper, published by Aqua
Documenta 1986 (English translation done, quite poorly, by Albert J. Thiel)
George Booth's Bible, this is the official Dupla manual. Sadly, out of print. If you must, buy the video.
9. The Natural Aquarium - How to Imitate Nature in Your Home, Satoshi
Yoshino and Doshin Kobayashi, published by TFH 1993 (originally published in Japan as Aquatic Scene) (ISBN 0-86622-629-X)
One look at the quality of the photographic reproductions in this book will tell you why Herbert R. Axelrod ruled the aquarium trade for years. They are magnificient. Highly recommended.
10. Nature Aquarium World, Takashi Amano, published by TFH 1992 (ISBN
11. Nature Aquarium World, Book 2, Takashi Amano, published by TFH 1994
12. Nature Aquarium World, Book 3, Takashi Amano, published by TFH 1994
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:34 pm Post subject: Re: WTB Ecology of the Planted Aquarium
First clarification for the confusion that I started- there is no customs duty for an printed material that enters India. There are certain publications that are in blacklist but none are aquarium related.
You will have an option to select the shipping rate when you place the order.
the price ou see on the first page is the cost of the book does not include taxes or shipping.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum