223. Guest
224. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,770

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - How do i do the DIY Co2 with sugar and yeast
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

How do i do the DIY Co2 with sugar and yeast
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:06 pm Post subject: How do i do the DIY Co2 with sugar and yeast Reply with quote

Hello  guys,  just  pretty  new  to  planted  tanks  (got  excited  after  seeing  all  the  pics  under  planted  tanks  section)..i  had  this  tank    L18  x  W12  x  H12  which  i  planned  to  convert  into  a  planted  one  as  i  already  have  2  four  footers  with  ciclids  in  them.  I'm  not  well  versed  with  plants  so  i  bought  a  bunch  from  the  LFS,  he  said  they  were  Green  Mint,Red  Mint,Banana  leaves  and  Cabomba's...also  bought  some  River  sand  which  he  said  would  help  the  plants  grow....set  up  the  tank  on  April  10th  05,over  two  week's  the  plants  started  to  respond  and  i  got  some  new  shoots,  the  tank  is  not  aerated  and  the  fauna  is  just  a  angel  in  there.  I  noticed  that  the  large  leaves  started  to  develop  this  circular  holes  in  them,also  some  of  the  leaves  are  turning  yellow.....i  went  thru  the  IAH  forum  and  the  common  information  i  found  was  a  planted  tank  requires  lottsa  Co2  apart  from  the  lighting  requirements.I  have  the  tank  near  the  window  and  have  lots  of  sunlight  directly  hitting  the  tank  through  the  day...one  of  the  cheapest  method  which  i  found  and  wanted  to  try  is  the  DIY  Sugar  and  Yeast  method....i  also  read  some  stories  where  in  the  bottles  used  to  store  the  sugar  and  the  yeast  exploding.    Shocked  ...i  request  if  anybody  can  tell  me  how  i  can  get  this  DIY  Co2  with  the  required  proportions  without  having  it  explode  in  my  room....    Very Happy
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:08 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

As  long  as  you  do  not  restrict  the  flow  of  CO2  from  the  bottle  to  the  tank,  there  is  no  worry  of  explosion.  So  do  not  control  the  flow  of  CO2  into  the  tank  as  one  would  with  a  pressurised  CO2  system.  You  don't  have  that  luxury.
kuksinhyd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:16 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Oscar  Lover,
 I  totally  agree  with  Madan,  but  to  get  the  most  optimum  growth  by  using  CO2  injection,  u  will  need  appropriate  lighting(3-3.5W/gal)  and  PMDD.  Madan  is  the  guru  and  can  help  u  out  in  designing  a  PMDD  recepie  for  you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
puneit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:45 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
Madan  is  the  guru  and  can  help  u  out  in  designing  a  PMDD  recepie  for  you.                

Dear  Guruji...    :lol:    :wink:  
 I  would  also  like  to  know  the  reciepe  for  PMDD  especially  how  and  from  to  get  Trace  element  mix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
amitava
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:49 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Punit,

Check  this  out.

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=2

regards
puneit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:56 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Amitva,
 The  post  you  asked  me  to  see  has  percentages  of  chelated  trace  elements.  And  only  the  cations  are  mentioned.  What  should  be  the  complete  salt.  For  example  for  Iron  can  I  use  Ferrous  Sulphate  or  should  it  be  a  coordination  compound  of  iron,  if  yes  then  what  should  be  it?
 Or  are    you  guys  purchasing  this  chelated  trace  element  mix  readymade  from  the  market?
amitava
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:03 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Punit,

I  have  purchased  K2SO4,  KNO3,  Fe  and  chelated  trace  element  mix  from  Vardhaman  Fertiliser  (bangalore).  

I  am  using  those  for  nearly  2  yrs  and  very  satisfied  with  the  performance.

regards
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:45 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

puneit  wrote:                
Amitva,
 The  post  you  asked  me  to  see  has  percentages  of  chelated  trace  elements.  And  only  the  cations  are  mentioned.  What  should  be  the  complete  salt.  For  example  for  Iron  can  I  use  Ferrous  Sulphate  or  should  it  be  a  coordination  compound  of  iron,  if  yes  then  what  should  be  it?
 Or  are    you  guys  purchasing  this  chelated  trace  element  mix  readymade  from  the  market?                

Puneit,  for  Iron  you  use  Fe-EDTA.  Ferrous  sulphate  is  useless  and  plants  cannot  utilise  them.  You  need  iron  to  be  chelated  in  order  to  be  available  for  plants.

Other  salts  are  typically  sulphates  except  Mo  which  is  Sod.  Molybdate  or  Ammonium  Molybdate.
 Boron  is  in  the  form  of  Sod.  Borate  or  Boric  Acid.

Yes,  people  are  purchasing  ready  made  mix  in  powder  form  from  the  market.

Check  out  the  Planted  Aquaria  Forum  and  earlier  threads  in  this  forum.
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:43 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Dear  Madanji,
 How  do  i  prepare  the  Co2  using  the  sugar  and  yeast....do  i  just  add  some  sugar  and  yeast  in  a  soda  can  with  a  output  pipe  to  the  aquarium,  and  what  did  you  mean  by  restricting  the  flow  of  Co2  to  the  tank....what  are  the  basic  proportions  i  need  to  use  to  start  off  initially  for  my  18"  x  12"  x  12"  tank  and  how  is  the  method  to  get  the  final  Co2  apparatus.  Could  you  plz  list  out  the  requirements  so  that  i  can  start  building  one....  Very Happy      Very Happy      Very Happy
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:48 pm Post subject: Planted aquariums Reply with quote

Hi  Oscar  lover,
                             Welcome  to  the  world  of  Planted  Aquariums.  Could  assemble  and  give  you  a  DIY  Co2  apparatus  in  a  few  minutes.  Could  do  it  at  ASK  on  Sunday.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:02 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

To  "prepare"  CO2  using  sugar  and  yeast  first  buy  a  2  liter  bottle  of  Coca  Cola.
 Enlist  all  at  home  to  finish  it  pronto.

Now  wash  the  bottle  and  the  cap.

Buy  2  mtrs  of  airline  tubing  and  one  of  those  straight  connectors  used  for  joining  2  lengths  of  tubing.

Drill  a  hole  or  else  push  in  a  hot  screw  driver  into  the  center  of  the  bottle  cap  to  make  a  hole  where  the  connector  would  be  a  tight  fit.  Liberally  apply  silicone  all  over  to  make  an  air  tight  seal  around  the  connector.

Buy  a  packet  of  Eagle  brand  yeast  granules.

Now  fill  the  bottle  with  1.5  liters  of  water,  add  2  cups  of  sugar  and  dissolve.

Add  about  15  granules  of  yeast  to  a  spoon  of  warm  water  (  not  hot  water  which  will  kill  the  yeast)  and  dissolve  the  granules.  Once  dissolved  add  this  water  to  the  bottle.

Screw  the  cap  back  on  and  make  it  air  tight.

Connect  up  one  end  of  the  airline  to  the  connector  on  the  bottle  cap  and  the  other  end  to  an  air  stone.

drop  the  air  stone  into  your  aquarium.

After  about  12  hrs  you'll  see  bubbles  rising  from  the  air  stone.  Do  not  usea  valve  to  control  the  rate  of  bubbling.  Your  bottle  will  explode.

This  is  CO2.

Now  others  may  use  fancier  methods  by  adding  potatoes  and  what  not.
winston
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:47 am Post subject: hello Reply with quote

dear  madan  as  you  mentioned  to  connect  only  a  single  outlet  wouldnt  that  empty  the  whole  air  content  in  the  bottle  making  it  smashed
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:35 am Post subject: Re: hello Reply with quote

winston  wrote:                
dear  madan  as  you  mentioned  to  connect  only  a  single  outlet  wouldnt  that  empty  the  whole  air  content  in  the  bottle  making  it  smashed                

I  cannot  understand  what  you  are  saying.
Vijayblr
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:52 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  wonderful  Post  Madanji.

I  had  some  more  doubts  regarding  the  DIY  CO2.  

1.)Could  you  please  let  me  know  for  how  many  days  will  they  produce  CO2.  
 2.)What  is  the  precaution  to  be  taken  other  than  not  using  the  controller???
 3.)Is  it  safe  if  kept  near  the  aquarium???  
 4.)Should  it  be  kept  to  the  ground  level  or  level  higher  to  the  aquarium???
puneit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:27 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Yeast  reactors  produce  CO2  for  2-3  weeks.(You  can  see  the  flow  of  bubbles  reducing)  After  which  you  should  throw  the  brew  and  start  all  over  again.
   As  Madan  suggested  2  mtrs  of  air-tubing,  that  means  it  has  to  be  well  within  2  mtrs  of  aquarium.  No  harm  done  as  long  as  the  bottle  is  out  of  water.  
 I  keep  my  bottle  slightly  higher  than  the  base  of  the  aquarium,  making  sure  that  there  is  enough  gap  between  the  solution  and  the  tube  in  the  bottle.
 The  other  precaution  you  can  take  other  than  controller  is  keep  it  away  from  small  kids.
 Once  a  week  shaking  the  bottle  also  helps  in  efficient  production  of  CO2.

Quote:                

No  the  bottle  wont  get  smashed  because  there  wont  be  a  low  pressure  outside  the  bottle  to  suck  the  air  out.
 If  you  connect  the  outlet  of  the  tubing  to  a  power  head,  then  there  will  a  slight  drop  of  external  pressure  with  respect  to  the  inside  of  the  bottle,  but  not  enough  to  create  a  vaccum.  Even  when  CO2  production  stops,  shape  of  the  bottle  will  not  get  altered.  Thats  the    reason  we  use  soda  bottles  not  mineral  water  bottles.
 Your  question  is  not  very  clear,but  I  guess  this  is  what  you  wanted  to  know.
 PS.  Your  yeast  reactor  may  give  a  poor  efficiency  in  first  few  attempts  but  then  you  can  eventually  with  slight  trial  and  error  work  out  the  best  for  you.
 All  the  best.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: