50. Guest
51. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,858

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - CO2 for the planted aquarium
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

CO2 for the planted aquarium

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield1967
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:50 pm Post subject: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

Very Happy  I  was  just  wondering  what  the  effect  would  be  on  the  aquarium  water  if  you  were  to  pour,  say,  a  bottle  of  soda  water  into  an  aquarium...would  it  have  the  same  effect  as  diffusing  Co2  using  a  diffusor??  could  one  some  how  use  the  soda  gas  from  the  cylnders  in  those  soda  machines  for  CO2  diffusion?  Sorry  if  I  am  being  an  ignoramus  but  i  just  had  to  ask...  Chuckle
kunalrsingh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

if  you  just  pour  a  bottle  of  soda  water  into  the  tank  then  your  tank  parameters  will  crash  resulting  in  fish  death.  you  won't  be  able  to  control  it.  excess  Co2  can  also  lead  to  bad  reults.  
 experts  might  comment  on  this  better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garfield1967
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:11 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

You  mean  the  ph  level  would  become  too  low  too  fast?..ok..thank  you  kunal.  Perhaps  someone  else  might  want  to  comment?..  and  what  about  using  the  soda  gas   cylinder  from  a  sodamaker  machine?..anyways  that  could  be  used  to  a  form  some  sort  of  DIY  CO2  diffusor?
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:31 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

Thats  the  same  as  using  CO2  from  any  other  cylinder,  only  the  cylinder  is  a  lot  smaller.  You  might  want  to  check  on  the  reglators  though,  might  be  of  a  different  size.
Ranjitpai
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:53 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

Hi  Garfield  

there  are  various  posts  on  DIY  Co2  in  the  forum  ,  i  think  the  soda  has  been  discussed  as  well.  

Plants  need  a  regular  supply  of  Co2  during  photosythesis  ,  these  quanties  are  required  for  6-10  hours  a  day  during  the  photo  period(  depending  on  light  and  other  conditions  )  .  The  release  of  C02  has  to  be  slow  ensough  for  for  it  to  be  absorbed  by  plants.  

Soda  will  not  solve  the  purpose  and  most  of  the  C02  will  also  get  wasted.  Also  i  am  notr  sure  amount  the  co2  in  the  water  (  to  make  it  soda  )  and  how  much  soda  you  need  for  what  tank  size.

Also  from  what  pradeep  has  written  using  the  soda  maker  might  not  help  as  the  release  of  co2  looks  like  is  much  faster  rate  than  using  the  aquarium  co2  values.  You  can  make  a  bottle  of  soda  in  seconds  and  thats  no  where  the  levels  of  co2  which  the  fishes  or  plants  will  survive.

Hence  the  options  are  using  the  DIY  yeast  reacter  ,  there  is  a  recent  post  by  madan  i  think  on  this  

But  if  your  tank  is  heavily  planted  and  large  3  foot  types  you  wil  have  to  go  in  for  pressurised  co2  

Thanks  
 Ranjit  Pai
Bhushan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:45 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

Garfield,  If  you  read  Takashi  Amano's  Nature  Aquarium  World  Book-1  ,  this  is  how  he  started  back  in  the  70's  pouring  soda  water  to  provide  co2  to  his  plants.  
 I  would  not  recommend  doing  it  now  as  you  have  many  cheaper  and  better  options.  Very Happy  

Thanks
 Bhushan
garfield1967
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:03 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

Thank  you  guys  for  your  valuable  inputs  and  suggestions..maybe  i  should  first  try  the  DIY  CO2  reactor  for  my  tank  (42x18x18  inches  &  30x15x15  inches)  and  if  that  doesnt  work  then  maybe  I  should  get  a  commercial  setup.
Ranjitpai
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

If  the  tank  sizes  are  what  you  have  indicated  then  its  best  to  go  in  for  a  pressurised  co2  set  up.  You  can  put  a  splitter  and  pass  Co2  to  both  banks.  

Its  very  difficult  to  do  a  DIY  for  tanks  of  these  sizes.  You  can  try  

All  the  best.  Update  on  the  progress  so  that  others  also  can  learn
garfield1967
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:04 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

@Ranjitpai  -  No  way  that  I  can  use  a  splitter  as  the  tanks  are  on  two  different  floors  Chuckle   but  I  am  in  the  process  of  fixing  a  DIY  CO2  for  the  smaller  tank  first  Smile
Seetharam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:29 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

garfield1967  wrote  (View  Post):                
@Ranjitpai  -  No  way  that  I  can  use  a  splitter  as  the  tanks  are  on  two  different  floors  Chuckle  Â                 

Oh  Yes  you  can,  i  know  one  IAH  member  who  has  a  30  Odd  KG  CO2  Cylinder  sitting  outside  his  house  and  he  is  using  it  to  pump  CO2  to  tanks  on  different  floors   Smile
raindeepak4u
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:52 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

Surprised
submerge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:31 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

Seetharam  wrote  (View  Post):                

Oh  Yes  you  can,  i  know  one  IAH  member  who  has  a  30  Odd  KG  CO2  Cylinder  sitting  outside  his  house  and  he  is  using  it  to  pump  CO2  to  tanks  on  different  floors  Â Smile                

CO2  is  heavier  than  air  so  having  it  on  the  top  floor  would  help  I  guess
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:00 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 for the planted aquarium Reply with quote

submerge  wrote  (View  Post):                
CO2  is  heavier  than  air  so  having  it  on  the  top  floor  would  help  I  guess                

Hi  Folks,  

Since  it's  a  pressurized  setup,  it  can  be  sent  to  floors  below  or  above  the  main  setup.

The  only  care  that  needs  to  be  taken  is,  the  pipe  carrying  CO2  should  not  be  exposed  to  direct  sunlight  or  heat.  This  is  to  avoid  cracking  of  tube  that  causes  leak  issues.

HTH  Thumb Up  
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: