199. Guest
200. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,837

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Filtration Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dj_square
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:49 pm Post subject: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

So  finally  i  got  some  time  and  thought  of  making  a  mim  canister  filter  for  my  nano  planted  tank  i  have  made  a  filter  some  what  according  to  this  idea  http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=87&page=  i  have  made  this  filter  for  approximately  500-600rs

essential  materials:-

->  1  air-tight  container
 ->  5  feets  plastic  pipe  which  fits  the  submersible  pump
 ->  1  boyu  200ltr/hr  submersible  filter
 ->  some  suction  cups

first  i  took  the  air-tight  container  and  made  some  holes  2  on  the  top  cover  and  1  at  the  corner  botton  of  the  container,

2  holes  on  the  top  are  made  1  for  the  pipe  to  come  out  and  other  for  the  wire  to  come  out  and  the  bottom  hole  on  the  container  for  the  inlet  pipe  which  will  suck  water  from  the  tank  and  the  motor  will  throw  back  the  water  (the  holes  should  the  made  leak  proof)

i  placed  the  filter  inside  the  container  and  removed  it  pipe  from  the  top  and  sucked  the  tank  water  from  the  outlet  pipe  till  filter  was  fully  submerged  then  i  started  the  filter  and  the  water  was  rolling  from  the  tank  and  filtered  and  again  back  to  tank  Smile  

here  are  the  pics  :-

Seetharam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:54 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

Do  you  have  any  filteration  media  in  there?  From  the  looks  of  the  picture  it  looks  like  you  only  the  Power  Filter  inside.

You  might  want  to  look  at  adding  some  Bio  Balls  &  Ceramic  Rings  in  there.
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:57 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

Good  start.
 Wonder  why  cant  I  see  filter  media  in  there?
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:59 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

Dear@dj-s
 I  second  the  above.  Atleast  you  can  add  Recron  fibre/sponge  for  better  filtrations.Anyhow   Thumb Up  
 Regards
 Kaushik
suneeshkachroo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:16 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

even  i  cant  see  any  filter  media  in  there  ...........
aquaboy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:25 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

Good  start,
               Now  with  this  setup  you  are  running  an  internal  power  filter  externally  ROFL  

Benefits  :  No  unwanted  current  (generated  by  the  power  head)  inside  the  tank.  

Then  ????.  this  still  has  a  long  way  to  go  to  be  categorised  as  a  canister.

you  need  to  add  those  ceramic  rings  or  Bio  balls  to  graduate  it  as  a  filter.

and  in  this  present  setup  there  are  possibilities  that  the  Bio  media  will  get  clogged  up  soon  with  the  debris  -  regular  cleaning  of  filter  media  is  a  must

Try  to  put  some  mechanical  filteration  before  the  tank  water  reaches  the  Bio  balls  or  Ceramic  rings.

Aquaboy.
dj_square
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:58 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

thanks  for  all  your  replys  and  appreciation,

ya  am  going  to  add  the  media  as  of  now  i  have  added  only  the  submersible  filter  with  its  original  media  and  will  be  adding  ceramic  rings/bio  balls/active  carbon.

can  all  this  be  used  in  a  planted  tank  and  can  i  use  algae  away  resin  or  algae  away  sponge,  algae  tablet  with  this  filter  for  a  planted  tank  as  i  have  brown  algae  growing  in  my  tank

check  this:-

algae  away  resin

algae  away  sponge

algae  away  tablet

can  i  use  azoo  multi-zeolite,  azoo  bio  balls  in  planted  tank

azoo  multi  zeolite

azoo  bio  balls

i  have  all  this  options  now  please  suggest  me  what  is  buying  worth  it  Smile  for  planted  tank

Last edited by dj_square on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:03 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

Good  work!  instead  of  using  the  sponge  of  filter  itself,  try  using  various  other  filtration  media  arranged  in  vertical  columns  from  the  filter  inlet  to  Powerhead  on  the  other  side.  Once  you  remove  the  sponge  holder  of  thats  power  filter  you'll  have  more  space  inside  the  box.
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:04 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

except  chemical  filtration(activated  carbon/charcoal)  everything  can  be  used.  I  would  have  used  a  tall  narrow  box  instead  of  this,  you  can  expect  a  lot  of  water  bypass  in  flat  boxes.  whats  the  brand  you  are  using?

Last edited by Hamza on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
dj_square
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:13 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

thanks  for  your  reply  hamza

you  said  not  yo  use  active  carbon  or  charcoal  is  it  for  planted  tank  you  are  saying  if  yes  then  i  have  a  black  colour  sponge  in  the  submersible  filter  is  it  active  carbon  filter  or  just  a  normal  filter???

you  can  check  my  above  post  i  have  edited  it  and  added  the  options  please  suggest  me  what  all  is  necessary  and  worth  it  to  add  and  is  it  fine  if  i  add  any  of  the  above  suggested  media  with  the  submersible  filter  also  without  removing  filter  from  power  head?
honey_moksh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

I  think  you  are  using  Boyu  filter...  The  filter  should  be  having  regular  sponge  :-)

Folks:  I  presume  the  filter  would  be  200  ltr/hr  or  max  250  ltr/hr,  do  you  think  it  will  be  able  to  create  enough  suction  to  draw  water  from  the  tank.

Harpreet.

Last edited by honey_moksh on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:24 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

Dear  Dj-s
 You  can  use  Azoo  bioball  and  ceramic  rings  as  filter  media  with  recron  fibre  pad  or  scotch  brite  scrabbing  pad  as  top  layer.
 Regards
 Kaushik
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

Those  sponges  contain  no  charcoal.
 This  is  the  best  I  thought  of  arramging  media  in  a  flat  box;  Bioballs(B),  ceramic  rings(CR)  and  coarse  sponge(S)  as  shown  in  diagram  to  minimize  the  water  bypass.  the  media  can  be  separated  using  stiff  plastic  mosquito  nets.

And  for  those  resins  and  algae  removers,  I  havent  used  any  of  them,  you  should  wait  for  an  experts  response.   
 You  can  even  use  pot  scrubs  for  bioballs,  they  are  cheaper  and  equally  efficient.
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:29 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

Keep  it  going  Clapping  .  Fine  tune  it  and  post  more  images.Planning  to  make  one  myself.  The  link  you  posted  is  great.
 Thank  you  for  sharing  your  experiences.
dj_square
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:12 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Mini Canister filter for 12ltr Nano tank Reply with quote

thanks  a  lot  for  all  your  replys  Smile  

@honey

yes  its  a  200ltr/hr  filter  and  it  give  a  very  great  suction  you  will  come  to  know  when  you  put  this  filter  directly  in  a  12ltr  tank  and  see  how  the  water  turns  into  waves  Â Chuckle  

i  am  using  this  setup  from  yesturday  and  i  have  noticed  debris  getting  sucked  from  the  inlet  pipe  into  the  container  Smile  

(and  the  sponge  is  black  colour  so  i  thought  its  active  carbon)

@Hamza

will  it  be  fine  if  i  use  bio-ball  and  ceramic  rings  along  with  the  filter  provided  by  boyu?  i'll  place  the  bio-balls  and  ceramic  rings  near  the  inlet  will  it  be  fine?

what  is  pot  scrubs  and  where  will  i  get  it  and  are  bio-balls  washable?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Filtration Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: