133. Guest
134. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,736

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Part and Parcel of Fish keeping?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Part and Parcel of Fish keeping?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agarwalajay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:56 pm Post subject: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

Hey,

Been  posting  with  new  problems...Wondering  if  it  happens  to  all  the  beginners...?

Introduced  3  neons  and  2  glowlights  last  eve  (Sat),  2  neons  have  died  already.  Acclimated  thru  drip  method  (took  me  1hr  15mins)

I  change  my  water  every  Sunday...

Four  days  back  my  male  adult  guppy  died  (well  that  fish  was  healthy,  eating  and  active)

So  what  could  be  the  reason?  Well  these  tetras  traveled  a  lot  yest.  I  got  them  from  Borilavi.  Rickshaw  to  the  station-train  till  Dadar-taxi  till  my  office-  car  to  my  house  in  Juhu...plus  the  LFS  told  me  they  got  the  tetra  consignment  on  Friday  night...

I  am  assuming  my  Nitrate  level  is  the  highest  on  Saturdays  since  I  change  water  on  Sunday,  so  it  is  advisable  to  add  fishes  on  Mondays?

P.S.  Assassins  got  hold  of  one  dead  tetra,  when  I  took  it  out,  the  eyes  were  missing  and  the  body  had  holes...one  sight  to  see
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:44 am Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

When  was  this  tank  set  up?
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:42 am Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

Never  buy  fish  from  an  LFS  that  has  just  arrived.  It  is  most  likely  not  a  problem  with  your  tank
agarwalajay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:19 am Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

Jabba-  It's  been  more  than  2.5  months.  I  added  these  tetras  after  a  month.  Tested  my  water  with  Azoo  Ammonia  kit...Water  temp  is  always  between  27C-31C

Mortis-  Point  noted!
ruchit
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:55 am Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

Your  fishes  may  be  extremely  stressed  due  to  frequent  changes  in  their  environment.  When  you  get  any  fishes  from  LFS  try  to  condition  them  in  a  bare  bottom  tank  with  only  sponge  filter  for  few  days.  When  you  see  them  relaxed  and  eating,  then  you  can  shift  them  into  your  planted  setup  using  the  drip  method.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:17 pm Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

If  the  fishes  have  come  from  a  very  large  lot  from  a  very  big  tank,  then  this  can  happen.  

See  some  pictures  of  fish  hatchery  tanks  on  the  net.  You  will  realise  what  I  am  talking  about.  

Seperating  fishes  from  a  huge  school  will  frighten  them  and  suddenly  they  die  after  some  time.

Last edited by garothmaan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:42 pm Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

The  thing  about  fishkeeping,  or  for  that  matter  anything;  when  you  start  out,  you  must  learn  the  'rules'  well  and  at  first,  follow  it  to  the  tee.  It  is  only  when  know  the  rules  fully  well,  and  follow  then  well,  will  you  know  where  you're  going  wrong.

If  you've  had  success  with  keeping  fish  according  to  set  'standards',  then  you  will  know  where  you  go  wrong  when  you  try  something  out  of  the  ordinary.  If  from  the  beginning,  you  have  been  continuously  trying  this  &  trying  that,  then  you  will  not  know  where  you're  going  wrong.Because  you  don't  know  what  you're  doing  right,  in  the  first  place.

In  the  past  two  &  a  half  months  (the  age  of  your  tank)  you've  made  continuous  changes  to  the  'ecosystem'.  This  in  itself  is  a  problem  for  fish.  For  any  living  being,  a  stable  environment  is  necessary  for  healthy  living.  It  is  the  same  for  fish  as  well.  SO  if  you're  continuously  adding  fish  after  previous  deaths  without  investigating  into  what  went  wrong  the  previous  time,  then  the  inherent  problem  still  exists.

Don't  get  me  wrong  here.  I'm  not  being  accusatory  or  anything.  I'm  just  trying  to  reason  out  the  basic  logic.

You  have  a  planted  tank,  so  you  don't  really  have  to  worry  about  your  nitrate  levels.  But  yes,  generally  introducing  fish  after  a  water  change  is  good  IMO.  That  way,  they  have  a  stable  environment  until  you  do  your  next  water  change.

There  are  fish  that  travel  across  the  globe  to  get  to  your  tank.  So  travel  within  Mumbai  may  not  necessarily  be  the  problem,  unless  the  fish  was  overly  stressed  or  sick  in  the  first  place.  +1  Mortis  &  Ruchit.

One  of  those  loooooong  lists  of  tank  specs/maintenance  schedules/dosing  etc  would  be  really  helpful  for  the  experts  in  pointing  out  your  problem  and  also  to  root  out  any  problems  for  the  long  run.  Its  usually  not  of  any  use  if  you  say,  "my  fish  died,  what  happened?"  Also,  maybe,  a  shot  of  the  tank  itself.

Good  Luck!  Thumb Up
Aquacrazy_Ash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:56 pm Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

Patience  is  the  key...2.5  months  and  a  planted  to  begin  with....go  one  step  at  a  time  and  as  atreyan  pointed  out  wait  till  you  understand  your  setup.

Now  coming  back  to  neons...my  personal  opinion  is  that  they  are  not  very  hardy  and  not  suitable  for  beginners.  Also  you  do  not  get  quality  always...Importantly,  if  you  decide  to  add  them  do  it  in  school  of  minimu  6  as  it  gives  them  sense  of  security.
agarwalajay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:25 pm Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

Ruchit-  I  don't  have  an  extra  tank.  Besides,  is  it  really  that  important?  I  have  3  guppies  and  two  danios,  they  responded  well...

Garothmaan-  What's  the  solution?  Planning  add  a  few  neons,  where  do  I  go  to  buy?

Athreyan-  I've  been  patient  with  the  setup.  Followed  all  the  practical  rules.  My  guppy  didn't  die  after  acclimation  so  repeating  the  same  mistake  doesn't  apply  here.  My  2  glowlights  are  eating  and  active...so  I  guess  the  neons  were  under  extreme  stress...

Aquacrazy-  That's  debatable.  Almost  all  websites  say  neon  tetras  are  easy  fish...I  am  gonna  add  a  few  more  neons...
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 pm Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

Well,  I  wonder  how  patient  you  have  been.  You  have  been  reporting  fish  problems  regularly.  You  said  that  yourself  in  your  first  post.  So,  don't  you  think  you  must  find  the  main  problem  before  going  out  to  buy  some  more  fish?

If  I  remember  right,  you  have  a  10G  tank.  overstocking  could  be  a  cause.

I  repeat;  tank  specs  will  go  a  long  way...
agarwalajay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:31 pm Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

Honestly,  those  are  the  teething  problems  I'm  talking  about.  When  I  mentioned  problems,  I  meant  those  related  to  plants,  equipments  and  fish...

You  could  be  right,  I  think  what  I'm  doing  on  IAH  is  not  informing  about  my  problems  but  rather  asking  for  help  and  trying  to  understand  the  whole  process...

I  have  1  adult  guppy,  2  juvenile  guppies  and  2  juvenile  danios,  you  think  my  tank  is  over-stocked?
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:06 pm Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

agarwalajay  wrote  (View  Post):                
Ruchit-  

Garothmaan-  What's  the  solution?  Planning  add  a  few  neons,  where  do  I  go  to  buy?

My  advise  to  you  is  very  simple.  

1.  In  your  planted  tank,  can  you  do  50%  water  changes  daily  without  adding  any  chemical  whatsover  for  2  weeks?  

2.  Add  a  sponge  filter  (small  1).  Feed  only  twice  a  day.  Dont  allow  food   more  than  that.  Feed  only  micro  pellets.

3.  Dont  add  any  fishes,  instead  remove  those  dianos  and  exchange  it  for  more  guppies.

4.  Keep  only  1  type  of  fish  for  1  month.

5.  After  2  weeks  do  weekly  water  changes  only  as  usual.

Let  the  tank  get  established  properly.
agarwalajay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:16 pm Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

I  don't  understand  the  prob

I  had  guppies  only  till  March  5...added  two  danios

Added  tetra  on  Sat.  I  think  I  did  what  you're  telling  me  now...

My  guppy  died  due  to  bladder  infection.  We  all  know  guppies  face  that  prob.  Secondly,  this  guppy  was  imported  hence  genetically  modified...

Neons  on  the  other  hand  died  right  after  acclimation...the  LFS  had  got  the  consignment  a  day  before...

Now  I'm  planning  to  go  to  Nautilus,  they  have  neons  since  long.  Don't  you  think  I  should  try  out  once?  Also,  I  still  have  one  neon  in  my  tank,  it  needs  company...

What  say?
Aquacrazy_Ash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 pm Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

Ajay  -  There  is  no  point  in  debate  if  you  want  to  hear  what  you  want  to  hear...

But  the  truth  is  blue  neons  are  no  longer  the  sturdy  fish  that  they  used  to  be...over  breeding..genetic  issues...on  purpose...there  are  many  issues.
 And  they  definitely  do  not  tolerate  fluctuating  water  parameters  and  conditions  which  is  my  reasoning  behind  not  having  them  in  beginners  tank.  You  can  read  N  number  of  topics  on  net  where  all  (or  most)  neon  tetras  dropped  dead  in  a  single  day  even  in  eshtablished  tanks.

So  the  bottomline  is...yours  could  have  very  well  died  due  to  the  enormous  stress  that  they  suffered  due  to  the  amount  of  travel  but  they  do  need  stable  water  parameter.
agarwalajay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm Post subject: Re: Part and Parcel of Fish keeping? Reply with quote

Ok.  I  agree,  I'm  gonna  try  one  last  time,  this  time  I'll  buy  from  a  shop  nearest  to  my  house.  Will  make  sure  they  are  well  settled  too  (no  recent  consignment)

will  keep  everyone  posted.  Thanks  for  all  the  suggestions.  Appreciate  it...
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: