219. Guest
220. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,810

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - MY Planted aquarium journey – Latest updates on Page no. 4
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

MY Planted aquarium journey – Latest updates on Page no. 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm Post subject: MY Planted aquarium journey – Latest updates on Page no. 4 Reply with quote

Friends,  

I  need  advice  on  plant  nutrition,  I  have  had  unsuccessful  journey  of  a  year  and  half  now  with  planted  aquarium.  Initially  started  with  ISTA  CO2  puff  kit,  24  watt  *2  HO  T5,  ISTA  fertilizer  and  basic  filter.

Current  Aquarium  detail:
 ========================================
 Size:  24”  x  18”  x  18”
 Pressurized  CO2
 Substrate  -  CaribSea  Eco-Complete
 Light  –  DIY  LED  –  Cree  XTE  -  5  Watt  x  15  leds  distributed  in  two  rows  (total  output  ~50watts  -  running  at  lower  current)
 Photo  period  8  hours
 Filter  –  EHEIM  Classic  250  External  Canister  Filter
 Water  TDS  <  150,  I  don’t  have  any  other  kits  to  test  water
 Water  change  frequency  ¾  every  week
 Fertilization:  ¼  tsp  KNO3,  1/16  tsp  K2SO4,  1/16  tsp  KH2PO4  –  3  times  a  week
 and  some  custom  Micros  Nutrients  with  chealated  Iron  purchased  from  ebay.
 ========================================

About  8  months  ago,  I  have  upgraded  to  above  light,  filter,  CO2  kit,  fertilizer  and  added  osmocote  root  tab  (purchased  from  ebay).  Only  thing  remains  same  is  substrate  Eco-Complete  and  aquarium.  I  feel  I  am  pretty  much  well  equipped  with  tools  but  my  plants  are  not  doing  well,  growth  diminishes  after  a  month  of  planting  them.  Twice  I  have  tried  with  new  set  of  plant  without  any  luck.

Ludwigia  Repens/Oval  stems  started  melting  after  20~25  days,  Giant  Ambulia  plagued  with  algae  after  adding  Peacock  moss  tree.  Initially  Red/Pink  Macrandra,  were  doing  well  and  later  just  remained  as  it  is.  

Currently  since  a  month  I  just  have  Monte  Carlo  and  moss  tree,  Monte  carlo  is  just  doing  fine,  no  growth  as  such  and  moss  tree  is  growing  really  well.  Green  algae  problem  remains  after  adding  moss  as  tree.
 I  had  to  clean  up  everything  since  aquarium  was  really  in  bad  shape  due  to  dying  plants.

I  am  planning  to  fresh  start  with  ADA  Amazonia  (another  2“  layer  above  existing  Eco  complete),  ISTA  root  tabs  and  Seachem  Flourish  OR  Flourish  Advance  and  Seachem  Flourish  Iron.

Questions:
 1. Is  it  a  good  idea  to  add  a  2”  layer  of  ADA  Amazonia  soil  on  top  of  eco  complete?
 2. Is  my  existing  NPK  fertilizer  is  good/BAD?
 3. Should  I  go  with  Seachem  fertilizer  and  which  one  Flourish  OR  Flourish  Advance?
 4. Below  ISTA  root  tabs  good/bad?
 5.  In  the  past  1.5  years,  couple  of  times  I  had  flushed  substrate  eco  complete  in  a  bucket  of  water  to  clean  algae/dying  plant  remains.  Does  it  meaning  all  nutrient  are  gone,  though  Eco  complete  by  nature  is  pretty  much  inert.

I  am  not  sure  what  I  am  doing  wrong,  any  suggestion  would  be  really  appreciated  to  make  my  aquarium  a  success  please  ...!

I  am  adding  details  of  my  existing  NPK  fertilizer  and  ISTA  root  tabs  as  an  attachment.

Last edited by mkk19800 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:38 pm Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Keeping  planted  tanks,  Its  a  learning  process  and  takes  time.  One  thing  with  LED's  is  that  they  have  a  very  narrow  spectrum  due  to  which  some  plants  grow  exceptionally  well  while  others  don't.  Add  some  Blue  and  Red  LED's  in  addition  to  the  white  ones.  If  you  still  have  the  T5HO  tubes  use  them  in  addition  to  the  LED's  for  some  time.  ensure  to  reduce  the  LED  brightness  during  this  time.  Increase  CO2,  this  will  solve  some  of  the  algae  issues.

1.  I  would  never  suggest  you  to  Combine  ADA  soil  with  any  other  substrate.  If  you  have  the  money  replace  the  substrate  with  2"  of  ADA  amazonia.  This  will  be  enough.
 2.  use  1/16th  Kno3  and  1/4  k2so4  ...  that  is  how  I  usually  dose  my  tank.  You  can  reduce  the  frequency  of  Kh2po4  to  once  a  week  of  1/16  tsp.

3.  Not  needed,  you  current  fertilizer  dosing  is  enough  -  See  if  you  can  get  CSM+b  for  micro  nutrients.

4.  Not  necessary  if  you  use  ADA  amazonia

5.  Do  not  do  this  for  a  planted  tank.  Siphon  the  water  and  allow  any  collected  detritus  to  be  sucked  out,  that  should  be  enough.
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:59 pm Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Thank  you  Preetam,  

I  am  not  mixing  the  two  substrate  just  want  to  keep  a  base  layer  of  Eco  complete  to  give  depth  to  aquarium.  Do  you  see  any  issues  or  it  may  harm  ADA  soil  or  plants  in  future?

I  hope  you  have  seen  fertilizer.png  which  I  attached,  are  those  good?

I  had  2  blue  and  2  red  LEDs  but  noticed  too  much  of  green  dust  algae  so  I  removed  red  LEDs  but  it  had  to  effect  on  green  algae  growth  so  remove  blues  one  as  well.
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:03 pm Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Hi  mkk19800..  
 Can  you  give  some  more  specs  about  the  light,  like..
 1,  Exact  current  rating  on  the  driver..
 2,  Are  you  using  any  lenses  (  reflectors),
 3,  Distance  of  the  lighting  unit  from  the  surface..
 4,  spectrum  of  the  led..  (  whether  coolday  light  or  warm  daylight)

Because  I  feel,  your  lighting  of  50w  of  led  is  too  much..  I  am  have  a  50w  led  setup  (Cree  XML)  for  my  36x18x18  size  tank  and  the  plants  are  growing  fine  in  it.
 Its  mounted  around  15  inches  from  the  aquarium  surface  and  I  dont  use  any  reflector..
 But  I  have  found  that  If  I  reduce  the  distance  between  the  water  surface  and  light,  the  plants  starts  to  have  problems  like  tips  stunting  and  yellowing  of  leaves  and  pin  holes  in  older  leaves,  I  dose  PMDD  method  of  fertilizer  dosing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:28 pm Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Hello  Srinidhi,

1.  I  am  not  using  a  specific  LED  driver  but  a  12  volt/15  Amp  power  source  with  3  LEDs  in  series  with  current  limit  resister  of  1.5  ohm  and  potentiometer  to  control  the  brightness.

2.  No  lens,  no  reflector,  LEDs  are  mounted  on  2  pieces  of  aluminum  heatsink  of  24"  x  3"  of.  One  row  has  7  LEDs  and  other  one  8  LEDs.

3.  LEDs  are  3"  above  the  water  surface  and  depth  of  aquarium  substrate  is  12"  at  the  back  and  16"  at  the  front  from  the  LEDs.  

4.  LEDs  spectrum  6500K  and  463  LM  (CREE  XT-E)  (Forward  Volt  -  3.6  and  Forward  Current  1700  mA  max)

Thanks,
 Manish
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:30 pm Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

So  manish,  the  led  are  connected  in  3  led  per  row  (series)  and  total  of  5  rows  in  parallel..  Right,  so  how  much  of  amperage  is  flowing  through  each  parallel  row..?
 As  you  are  using  potentiometer  to  Control  the  current,  any  guess  As  to  how  much  of  current  might  be  flowing  through  each  led..
 Sorry  for  so  many  questions..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:58 pm Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Srinidhi,

You  are  correct,  3  LEDs  in  series  with  current  limiting  resister.  1.2  A  current  is  flowing  via  each  series  and  then  potentiometer.
 The  Potentiometer,  I  am  using  has  pre  set  of  25%,  50%,  75%  and  100%  brightness.  Also,  with  an  option  to  increase  5%  each  time.
 I  keep  potentiometer  to  75%  brightness,  which  means  ~900  mA  approx  and  which  results  3.6*.9*15  =  48.6  watts.

Source  12V  15A
 Diod  Forward  Voltage  -  3.6  V
 15  LEDs
 ==========================
 3  x  5  array,  15  LEDs  exactly
       +----|>|----|>|----|>|---/\/\/----+   R  =  1  ohms
 ==========================
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:25 pm Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Ok,  good..
 Now  use  the  potentiometer  to  reduse  the  intensity  to  50%  from  75%..
 Increase  the  Co2  if  possible..
 Continue  with  other  routine  as  usual  like  fert  dozing,  water  changes  etc.
 Observe  the  changes  in  plants  growth  pattern..  Changes  can  be  seen  within  couple  of  days.
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:37 pm Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Thank  you  Srinidhi,  let  me  try  that.  Reducing  light  to  50%  makes  it  dim.

Also,  any  words  on  keep  bottom  layer  of  eco  complete  and  top  layer  of  2"  as  ADA  amazonia?

if  yes,  then  should  I  also  add  root  tabs  in  bottom  layer  of  eco  complete?

Thanks,
 Manish
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:18 pm Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Don't  add  any  root  tabs.  With  the  bottom  layer  of  Eco  complete  you  have  the  risk  of  compaction  and  getting  an  aerobic  conditions  because  of  deep  substrate.  This  would  cause  problems...
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:07 am Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Yes,  as  Preeths  have  advised..  Don't  add  any  thing  to  the  existing  substrate.
 Your  problem  is  too  much  of  light,  and  that  is  leading  to  depletion  of  Co2  with  in  a  couple  of  hours  of  photo  period.  So  the  remaining  time  of  lighting  is  causing  deficiency  of  Co2,  so  no  matter  what  substrate  or  fertilizer  you  dose  the  plants  won't  be  able  to  use  it  to  the  fullest..
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:44 am Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Thank  you  so  much  Preetam,  Srinidhi,  

Just  finished  my  new  scape  with  bottom  layer  eco  complete  and  top  layer  ada  Amazonia,  let  me  follow  your  suggestions.  I  will  post  details  once  my  aquarium  settels  down.  
 One  more  question,  aquarium  store  guy  advised  me  to  change  30%  water  alternate  days  for  next  2  weeks  and  start  fertilizer  after  3  weeks.
 Is  it  a  good  idea?  

Also,   what  should  be  the  photo  period,  should  I  give  a  break  in  between  or  just  keep  lights  on  for  complete  stretch  of  6~8  hours?   

Thanks,  
 Manish
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:44 am Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Yes,  water  changes  is  a  must  when  you  use  Amazonia  in  an  new  setup  or  if  you  resape  an  existing  one  and  disturb  the  substrate  as  it  gives  off  lots  of  nutrients  in  to  the  water  column..
 Lighting  period  can  be  split  into  two  4  hrs  schedule..  I  do  the  same,  5  hours  of  lighting  in  the  morning  and  5  hrs  in  the  evenings..
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:35 pm Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Nidhi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Your  problem  is  too  much  of  light,  and  that  is  leading  to  depletion  of  Co2  with  in  a  couple  of  hours  of  photo  period.  So  the  remaining  time  of  lighting  is  causing  deficiency  of  Co2,  so  no  matter  what  substrate  or  fertilizer  you  dose  the  plants  won't  be  able  to  use  it  to  the  fullest..                

Hi  Nidhi,

This  is  an  intriguing  thought.  Can  you  explain  a  bit  more  about  this.  i  think  you  are  on  to  something  has  has  been  causing  issues  in  my  tank.  Some  more  information  will  be  appreciated
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:54 pm Post subject: Re: Planted aquarium - suggestion needed Reply with quote

Ya  sure..  Will  explain  in  the  evening..
 Right  now  a  bit  busy  in  office..
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: