85. Guest
86. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,814

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Filter for 4 feet tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Filter for 4 feet tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Filtration Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:11 am Post subject: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

Tank  specs  -  

50inches  X  18  inches  X  18  inches
 Substrate  -  1.5  inches  of  laterite+sand  and  then  1.5  inches  of  fine  gravel

Plants  -  valls  and  aponogenetons,  fish  loaches  (lots  of  them),  shrimpts  and  puntius  all  wild  caught.

I  change  25%  water  every  week  and  have  an  internal  filter  thats  a  bok  that  is  approx  10inches  long.  I  think  its  a  Boyu.also  have  two  aerator  outlets

Despite  this,  there  are  fine  particles  in  the  water,  probably  stirred  up  by  the  loaches.  Siphoning  only  makes  it  worse.  I  can  still  clearly  see  through  the  ends  of  the  tank  but  would  like  to  have  crystal  clear  water:-)  will  an  external  filter  help?  what  will  its  cost  be?

I  dont  want  a  powerhead  since  it  causes  to  much  of  water  movement.
vraghu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:52 am Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

Pradeep,

For  a  4  Ft   Planted  Tank  ,  the  best  option  is  to  go  for  a  External  Filter  ,  since  Internal  filter  will  not  be  able  to  take  the  load  ,  nor  it  can  clear  all  the  muck  and  dirt  ,  now  there  are  a  lot  of  External  Filters  available  in  the  Market  ,  few  are  Boyu  ,  Atman,  Hailea  ,  Eheim  .

Boyu  ,  Atman,  Hailea  will  be  in  the  Range  of  3  to  4K  since  its  made  by  Taiwan  or  Chinese   ,  Where  as  Eheim  will  cost  you  around  7K  since  its  German  and  is  known  for  the  relaibility  and  work  effeciency.  Once  you  plug  in  your  Eheim  Filter  ,  you  can  Forget  about  it  for  the  next  1  year  ,  since  u  will  only  take  it  out  after  1  year  to  clean  it  !!   Chuckle   ,  its  THAT  effecient  !!!!  

All  the  Planted  Guys  or  Geeks     Chuckle   Prefer  and  use  Eheim  including  me  ,  If  you  can  afford  it  ,  please  go  ahead  with  eheim.  the  popular  Model  for  a  4ft  Tank  is  Eheim  2217,  which  should  be  easily  available  in  Madras.  Most  of  us  use  this  model  .

RaghuV.
Lawrenze
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:57 am Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

Hi  Pradeep  
 A  cost  effective  solution  would  be  an  aquaclear  500  HOB  filter  for  a  4  footer,  will  keep  the  water  crystal  clear  Very Happy  Trust  me,  works  like  magic  Chuckle  
 Rgds
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:14 am Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

I  would  completely  agree  with  Raghu  V....  4ft  tank  an  External  filter  is  a  must.

Eheim  rocks  man..  No  luck  with  Rufus  yet  to  get  one.  So  planning  to  get  the  same  with  a  local  LFS  guy.

Raghu
PC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:45 am Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

Hmmmm...  this  is  usefull,  So  between  the  contenders  -  aquaclear  500  HOB  and  Eheim  2217,  i  see  them  equally  matched  except  in  price.  But  will  the  installing  of  either  one  of  them  remove  the  need  for  me  to  siphon?

I  have  automated  water  changes,  would  like  to  avoid  siphoning  too  :-)
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:08 am Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

Planted  tanks  and  Siphoning.......

One  should  not  be  doing  siphoning  in  a  heavily  planted  tank.....  This  can  take  away  all  the  nutrients  that  plants  need...

For  water  to  remain  crystal  clear,  I  would  not  go  with  the  messy  HOB  as  this  also  cause  turbulance...  Though  not  comparable  to  power  filters.  But  is  comparable  to  Canisters.

Also  i  by  person  was  not  very  happy  with  the  cleaning  that  HOB  does.  

THough  Ehiem  costs  more,  I  saw  the  performance  and  was  really  very  happy  with  it.

It  has  stages  of  filtration.  More  area  for  Bio  balls.  Stages  of  sponge  etc  etc.

This  is  my  2  cents...  

If  price  and  affordability  is  the  blockage  only  then  i  would  look  for  a  HOB  else  its  Ehiem  all  thw  way.
 I  would  streach  my  self  to  the  professional  class  of  filters  if  i  can  spend  a  lille  bit  more.  which  has  inbuilt  thermostats  so  lesser  equipments  inside  tank.  If  i  have  multitanks,  i  would  also  look  at  concatinating  tanks.

Raghu
Sami
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:10 am Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

PC  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hmmmm...  this  is  usefull,  So  between  the  contenders  -  aquaclear  500  HOB  and  Eheim  2217,  i  see  them  equally  matched  except  in  price.  But  will  the  installing  of  either  one  of  them  remove  the  need  for  me  to  siphon?

I  have  automated  water  changes,  would  like  to  avoid  siphoning  too  :-)                

Hi  pc  my  acq  clear  500  worked  alone  on  my  6x2x2  tank  with  exceptional  bioload  for  5  years.I  will  say  they  are  by  and  large  themost  reliaable  filters  i  have  ever  seen.I  later  acquired  mobas  and  put  them  in  my  above  tank  and  replaced  the  acq  clr  500  with  two  cannisters  ATmanEF-4  and  Ehiem2217.Both  areworking  exceptionally.
 i  have  gifted  my  oldwarhorse  Ac500  to  my  outdoor  rock  tank  housing  Cyrtocara  moories.It  also  has  aatman  1000  l/h  overhead.
 If  it  a  planted  tank  of  your  size  I  will  vote  for  Acq  clr500.Gives  lot  of  surface  movement  without  causing  agitation.
vraghu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:49 am Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

Hello  Sami,

Looks  like  Aq  Clear  is  a  good  Product  ,  but  with  the  External  CO2  Dosing  ,  do  u  think  Lots  of  Surface  movement  a  good  idea  ?  since  it  will  remove  a  lot  of  CO2  !  Surprised  

RaghuV.
Lawrenze
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:55 am Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

An  Ehiem  is  an  ehiem  Smile  no  comparisons  Thumb Up  but,  from  what  PC  has  mentioned  i  feel  for  a  not  so  densely  planted  native  indian  4  footer...an  aquaclear  is  more  than  what  is  required...if  i  had  the  money,  would  surely  go  in  for  an  external  Very Happy  
 Rgds
venki25
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:11 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

talking  about  mechanical  filtration  in  clearing  muck  and  dirt  in  a  planted  tank  address  me  the  following  issues.

1)  I  have  a  4  ft  tank  with  Atman  canister  running.  The  water  is  absolutely  clean.  But  if  i  observe  very  closely  i  can  see  muck  rising  up  with  fish  movement  close  to  the  substrate.  I'm  sure  these  dirt  can  be  sucked  in  by  the  canister  intake.  But  the  problem  is  though  there  is  water  movement  the  intake  tube  is  not  sucking  up  the  dirt  as  they  get  trapped  under  the  plants  and  are  risen  and  sucked  only  when  agitated.

2)  I  have  therefore  started  doing  vacuming  with  my  battery  operated  gravel  vac.  I  just  suck  up  the  dirt  and  the  water  is  left  in  the  tank.  I  do  a  weekly  water  change  of  about  50%  with  thorough  vacuming.

Now  is  it  advisable  to  do  vacuming,  will  it  anyway  harm  the  balance  of  the  tank??
PC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:30 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

Quote:                
One  should  not  be  doing  siphoning  in  a  heavily  planted  tank.....  This  can  take  away  all  the  nutrients  that  plants  need...  

No  Raghu  the  siphoning  is  very  light  and  besides  i  dont  upset  the  laterite  soil  level.  in  any  case  the  Valls  and  Aponogenetons  are  growing  like  crazy  :-)

I  am  leaning  towards  an  aquaclear  but  does  it  go  inside  the  tank  or  outside?  I  can  see  the  Ehiem  is  a  cylider  sort  of  thing  that  sits  outside  the  tank.  I  went  to  pictures  of  Aquaclear  filters  and  thought  model  #106108  -  AquaClear  50(200)  will  be  the  best  for  me.  but  is  this  something  that  hangs  outside  the  tank??  in  this  case  I  cant  use  it  since  the  back  of  the  tank  is  against  the  wall  and  the  short  sides  have  a  glass  support  that  is  3  inches  wide  and  i  cant  insert  the  clamps  of  the  filter  to  the  sides.
harley
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:13 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

Hi  Pradeep

HOB's  are  hung  against  the  glass  on  the  outside  of  the  tank.

If  you  have  a  space  constraint  in  the  back,  HOB  can  be  hung  on  the  sides  of  the  tanks  also.  Many  LFS's  in  Blore  have  the  same  concept.  HOB's  hung  on  the  side's!

Aquaclear  HOB's  are  very  good,  though  i  have  a  dymax  HOB  and  am  satisfied  with  it,  no  complaints.  I  have  a  good  bio  load  with  lots  of  fish  and  plants  and  it  does  a  pretty  good  job,  i  clean  it  once  a  month  or  so  and  once  a  while  add  some  accu-  clear  to  keep  the  tank  clean  and  increase  the  efficiency  of  the  filter  (  thats  what  the  label  says!)  I  wouldnt  say  that  the  HOB  creates  lots  of  turbulance.  Its  a  different  matter  that  i  will  anyday  go  for  an  ehiem  given  the  resources.  Smile  

rgds
 irshad
harley
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:19 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

Sorry,  missed  the  point  of  your  tank  sides  also  non  usable  for  HOB's.  It  would  be  challenging  to  go  for  HOB  then...

Rgds

Irshad
vraghu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:31 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

Hello  Everyone  ,

Where  do  we  get  the  Aquaclear  500  HOB  in  India  ?

Regds
 RaghuV.
PC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:48 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for 4 feet tank Reply with quote

Irshad,  in  the  attached  pic,  i  have  shdaded  two  areas,  they  are  the  glass  panes  that  support  the  top  parts  of  the  tank.  these  are  a  few  inches  wided  so  i  cant  hang  the  filter  on  the  sides  either  :-(
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Filtration Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: