235. Guest
236. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,770

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - seting up new fish tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

seting up new fish tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bittoo2007nk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:51 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

Hi  

what  should  I  do  when  electricty  gone  for  3  or  4  hours.   I  it  dangerious  for  fishes  life.
koushik_man
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:41 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

bittoo2007nk  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  

what  should  I  do  when  electricty  gone  for  3  or  4  hours.   I  it  dangerious  for  fishes  life.                

Either  use  a  battery  operated  air  pump,  else  make  a  partial  water  change  15%-20%  water  change  in  every  2  hours.  It  also  depends  on  the  tank  parameters,  whether  if  the  tank  is  planted  (then  no  need)  with  oxygen  generate  plants  (amazon  sword,  etc)  or  bare  bottom.  Whether  the  tank  is  overstocked  or  not.  Water  change  schedule  (whether  you  perform  daily  water  change  of  more  than  50%  or  not).  Feedings  (dry  food  or  heart  mix),  and  many  more  parameters.  I  usually  perform  a  partial  water  change  when  the  electricity  is  out  for  more  than  6  hours  constant.  My  tank  is  of  230L  barebottom,  with  6  snakeskin  discus  only  with  just  a  single  sponge  filter.  Also  wait  for  other  suggestions  from  the  seniors.
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:53 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

Bittoo,
 I  agree  with  kaushik.
 To  suggest  what  you  should  do  when  there  is  no  electricity---we  need  to  know  what  you  plan  to  keep  in  the  tank.

For  example,  if  it  is  a  planted  tank,  then  no  need  to  worry  about  3/4  hours  of  no  electricity  unless  that  happens  to  be  your  photo  period.  Besides,  if  the  bio  load  of  a  tank  is  not  too  high,  then  there  is  no  need  to  have  air  pump  too.  I  think  most  of  us,  who  have  planted  tanks  do  not  have  air  pumps  (the  plants  take  care  of  the  oxygen).  The  only  worry  would  be  if  the  temperature  gets  too  low  during  winters.  Well  if  you  have  an  aquarium  heater  running  which  keeps  the  temp  around  26-28  degrees,  then  3/4  hours  of  no  electricity  should  not  bring  the  water  down  below  24...and  that  is  Ok.  

So  go  ahead,  give  us  some  idea  about  what  you  want  to  have  in  the  tank  and  we  can  possibly  help.
 Bappa
bittoo2007nk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:04 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

Kaushik
 Bappa
 First  of  all  I  thank  u  both  for  a  valuable  suggesstion.
 My  tank  size  is  24"x15"12"  with  some  gravel  and  some  artificial  plants.   I  used  sponge  filter  and  air  pump.  My  tank  load  is  not  too  high.   I  put  6  barbs  and  two  silver  sharks  only.
koushik_man
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:03 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

Kaushik
 Bappa
 First  of  all  I  thank  u  both  for  a  valuable  suggesstion.
 My  tank  size  is  24"x15"12"  with  some  gravel  and  some  artificial  plants.   I  used  sponge  filter  and  air  pump.  My  tank  load  is  not  too  high.   I  put  6  barbs  and  two  silver  sharks  only.                

Hi  bittoo,
 Just  a  suggestion,  instead  of  the  artificial  plants,  try  to  put  some  amazon  sword  in  it.  They  don't  require  high  maintanance,  and  will  generate  oxygen.  If,  you  can  maintain  live  plants,  and  really  want  only  artificial  plants,  then  only  put  silk  plants,  instead  of  plastic  plants.  Silk  plants  will  not  harm  them,  but  they  can  get  hurt  while  fast  moving  due  to  plastic  plants.  Also,  keep  in  mind  that  Silver  Shark  gets  much  bigger  as  they  grow  and  require  more  space.  So,  as  they  grow,  so  the  bio  load  in  it.  As  for  the  barb,  may  I  know  which  one?  Tiger/Tinfoil/Rosy  barb?  Best  of  luck.
bittoo2007nk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

hi  Kaushik

I  have  tiger  barb  in  my  tank.  One  another  thing  i  want  to  know.  after  two  or  three  months  when  my  tank  is  fully  sattled  which  kind  of  butifull  and  attractive  fishes  I  put  in  my  tank.
koushik_man
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:36 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

hi  Kaushik

I  have  tiger  barb  in  my  tank.  One  another  thing  i  want  to  know.  after  two  or  three  months  when  my  tank  is  fully  sattled  which  kind  of  butifull  and  attractive  fishes  I  put  in  my  tank.                

Hi  bittoo,
 Cycling  a  tank  with  fish  in  it,  wont  take  2-3  months.  It  will  hardly  take  2-3  weeks.  What  kind  of  filteration  are  you  using?  As  for  beautiful  and  attractive  fish,  there  are  lot,  to  name  few  -  a  school  of  neon/cardinal  tetra,  rummy  nose  tetra,  ramirezi  etc.  But,  for  that,  you  need  to  replace  your  existing  stock,  else  they  will  feast  on  the  mentioned  fishes.  Tiger  barbs  are  notorious  fin  nippers.  all  the  best   Thumb Up
bittoo2007nk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:18 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

Hi  Koushik

In  earlier  reply  you  suggest  me  for  natural  plants.   So  please  tell  which  kind  of  preparation  i  need  to  plan  them  and  whih  material.   Also  mention  the  procedure.

thanks
koushik_man
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:50 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

You  can  use  a  sand  bed  (golden  construction  sand)  or  else  3  mm  gravel  as  a  substrate.  You  can  also  use  combination  of  laterite  and  sand.  There  are  also  commercially  available  substrates,  such  as  ADA  Aqua  Soil,  Ocean  Free  Soil,  etc.  If  you're  going  for  high  tech  plantings,  then  you  need  liquid  fertilizers,  CO2  equipment,  average  watt  per  gallon  lightning,  flow  rate,  and  other  constraints.  If  for  low  tech,  choose  hardy  plants  such  as  Amazon  sword,  Java  fern,  Java  moss,  etc.  As  they  don't  require  any  special  care.  Now  it's  upto  you  to  choose  what  type  you  want  to  go  for.   Thumb Up
GURPREET
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:02 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

Hi  Bitto
 I  am  in  west  delhi  too  and  searched  for  some  LFS  for  planted  tank  setups  but  niether  of  them  does  it.
 I  am  also  planning  for  a  new  planted  tank  setup  and  keep  a  tab  on  this  thread  of  yours..  Very Happy  

@Koushik  -  pls  guide  me  if  the  golden  sand  that  you  mentioned  is  the  sand  which  is  used  in  parks  for  jogging  purpose  in  india.  can  it  be  purchased  from  local  construction  material  shop  and  can  it  be  used  alone  for  the  lowtech  setup?  what  else  have  to  be  kept  in  mind  for  small  planted  aquarium?

@Bitto  -  sorry  for  hijack  Very Happy
koushik_man
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:55 am Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

GURPREET  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Bitto
 I  am  in  west  delhi  too  and  searched  for  some  LFS  for  planted  tank  setups  but  niether  of  them  does  it.
 I  am  also  planning  for  a  new  planted  tank  setup  and  keep  a  tab  on  this  thread  of  yours..  Very Happy  

@Koushik  -  pls  guide  me  if  the  golden  sand  that  you  mentioned  is  the  sand  which  is  used  in  parks  for  jogging  purpose  in  india.  can  it  be  purchased  from  local  construction  material  shop  and  can  it  be  used  alone  for  the  lowtech  setup?  what  else  have  to  be  kept  in  mind  for  small  planted  aquarium?

@Bitto  -  sorry  for  hijack  Very Happy                

Hi  GURPREET,
 Just  visit  any  nearby  Hardware  store,  ask  them  for  construction  sand.  You  can  also  buy  mozaic  stones  of  3  mm  from  the  same  store  for  the  same  purpose.  You  first  need  to  wash  the  sand  thoroughly  to  remove  the  silica  as  much  as  possible.  Then  make  a  bed  of  it,  in  the  base  of  the  tank.  Plant  as  you  desire.  Make  sure  the  plant  roots  are  only  in  the  sand  and  not  the  stem.  Pour  water  very  slowly,  fill-up,  keep  lights  on  for  8-10  hrs.  Do  not  run  any  power  filter  within  24  hrs.  Let  them  settle.  Run  filter  and  keep  the  lightning  scheduled.  This  is  what  I  used  to  do  for  planting.  Experts  can  give  more  view  on  it.  So,  wait  for  experts  comments.  Best  of  luck   Thumb Up
bittoo2007nk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:57 am Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

Hi  kaushik

[align=justify]one  more  important  issue  in  which  I  need  advice  is  Maintenane  and  cleaning.   I  am  bit  Confused.   All  most  every  artical  or  guide  in  web  advice  partical  water  change  (10%  to  20%)  every  week.   One  article  I  read  in  this  forum  said  regular  particial  change  of  water  can  stress  your  fish.  I  visit  some  local  fish  Shop  and  asked  from  owner  about  maintenance.   They  said  after  two  month  remove  all  water  from  aquarium,  de-assemble  every  thing  and  clean  them  with  running  tap  water  and  re-setup  your  aquarium.

What  is  truth  ?  How  maintaine  my  tank  and  keep  it  clean.
 thanks
koushik_man
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:54 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

Hi  kaushik

[align=justify]one  more  important  issue  in  which  I  need  advice  is  Maintenane  and  cleaning.   I  am  bit  Confused.   All  most  every  artical  or  guide  in  web  advice  partical  water  change  (10%  to  20%)  every  week.   One  article  I  read  in  this  forum  said  regular  particial  change  of  water  can  stress  your  fish.  I  visit  some  local  fish  Shop  and  asked  from  owner  about  maintenance.   They  said  after  two  month  remove  all  water  from  aquarium,  de-assemble  every  thing  and  clean  them  with  running  tap  water  and  re-setup  your  aquarium.

What  is  truth  ?  How  maintaine  my  tank  and  keep  it  clean.
 thanks                

First  you  have  to  decide,  on  which  kind  of  filteration  you're  going  to  use.  There  are  a  lot  of  filteration  system,  to  name  a  few  -  External  Canister,  Sump,  UGF  (under  Gravel  Filter).  Corner  Filter,  Sponge  Filter,  Power  Filter,  Top  Filter,  HOB  (Hang  on  Back)  filter,  and  many  more.  Each  of  these  have  their  own  advantages  and  disadvantages.  Based  on  the  filteration  set-up  and  bio  load,  your  water  change  schedule  will  depend.  As  you  mentioned  "One  article  I  read  in  this  forum  said  regular  particial  change  of  water  can  stress  your  fish",  I  keep  Dicus  in  my  bare-bottom  tank  and  perform  90%  water  change  everyday  between-9-10  P.M  and  they  prefer  the  same.  It's  always  good  to  perform  partial  water  changes  and  all  the  fishes  and  plants  love  them.  AND  THEY  DO  NOT  STRESS  THE  FISHES  in  any  manner  (maybe  for  few  seconds  or  minutes).  It's  just  a  matter  of  time  and  get  used  to.  As  for  your  local  shop  comments,  they  are  misguiding  you.  Hope  this  helps  you.  First  choose  your  filteration  system  and  substrate,  so  that  the  suggestions  will  become  much  easier  for  other  maintainance.  All  the  best.
shreyasharan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:56 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

hey  bittoo
 I  recently  converted  my  tank  into  a  planted  tank.  
 Im  using  a  substrate  consisting  of  soil  and  soilrite  and  a  top  level  of  gravel.  I  perform  25%  water  change  weekly  and  my  fish  are  not  stressed  at  all...
 Which  area  in  west  delhi  are  you  looking  for  shops?  because  even  i  will  benefit  from  that  info!  but  be  wary  of  what  the  guys  at  LFS  suggest  as  most  of  them  are  not  very  knowledgeable.  
 If  your  keeping  a  planted  tank  then  if  you  vaccum  the  top  of  the  gravel  with  a  DIY  gravel  siphon  and  do  regular  water  changes  all  will  be  well....
bittoo2007nk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:41 pm Post subject: Re: seting up new fish tank Reply with quote

Hi  Kaushik
 I  am  going  to  use  sponge  filter.  LFS  owner  suggest  me  for  this.   Another  question  hitting  my  mind  is  about  aquarium  light.  What  is  the  ideal  duration  of  planted  tank  and  bare  bottom  tank.

hi  shreyasharan
 I  am  living  in  paschim  Vihar.   I  am  a  newbee.   I  want  to  know  how  you  convert  your  tank  into  planted  tank?  Which  kind  of  plants  you  used  in  your  aquarium  and  where  to  buy?  Is  it  any  shop  who  sell  plants  near  to  me?   Please  guide  me  in  details.

thanks.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: