98. Guest
99. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,407

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 pm Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

Here  are  a  few  plants  you  can  try...

marsilea  hirsuta  -  needs  lower  temperatures  and  some  time  to  settle  in,  after  that  its  a  steady  grower  in  low  light  as  well.

lileopsis  -  another  slow  growing  nice  plant,  you  need  to  get  it  in  nice  quantity  if  you  intend  to  see  a  lawn  filling  up  quickly.

micro  tenelus  -  This  low  growing  and  thing  form  of  e.tenellus.  Its  sometimes  rare  to  find  but  costs  the  same  as  normal  tenellus  and  it  grows  like  a  weed  if  conditions  are  fine.

hydrocotyle  tripartita  -  very  robust  plant,  Its  a  weed  in  highlight  tank  and  grows  very  fast.  It  does  qute  well  in  low  light  conditions  too.  Just  that  it  grows  a  bit  loose   in  low  light  conditions,  but  grows  fairly  well  even  in  most  undemanding  conditions  were  you  dont  expect  many  plants  to  survive.

crypt  parva  -  Another  great  plant,  but  its  fairly  expensive  compared  to  other  carpet  plants,  grows  painfully  slow(slower  than  anubias)  even  in  best  of  conditions  and  you  need  quite  a  lot  to  plant  initially.

Moss  carpet  -  take  any  moss,  except  the  ones  that  stand  erect  (like  flame),  tie  them  on  flat  pieces  of  stones  and  lay  down  a  cm  apart,  you'll  achieve  a  nice  carpet  in  a  couple  of  months  time.  You  can  try  same  thing  with  other  livewort  like  pelia  and  riccia,  both  are  fairly  undemanding  too.

hairgrass(parvula/acicularis)  -   yes  they  can  be  grown  in  low  light,  if  you  have  good  flow  of  water  supplemented  with  CO2.  Planting  might  be  diffiult  for  beginners,  but  if  you  do  it  patiently  and  evenly  it  will  be  rewarding.

HC  -  Its  not  at  all  a  high  light/very  demanding  plant.  Its  just  difficult  to  plant  initially,  once  you  do  it  well  and  evenly  it  will  grow  with  decent  amount  of  lighting.  Water  flow  and  consistent  co2  are  more  important  than  high  lighting  for  most  plants.  Both  HC  and  HG  can  be  grown  in  inert  substrate  as  they  can  easily  adapt  to  taking  nutrients  from  water  column.  

P.S.Some  people  say  HC  requires  very  soft  water,ADA  substrate,  etc  at  low  temperatures,  but  I  have  personally  grown  it  in  fairly  hard  water  and  temperature  upto  32deg  in  every  kind  of  fine  substrate.  

Replace  your  CFLs  with  a  couple  of  PLLs(2x36w),  they  give  you  quality  light  for  a  longer  time  and  light  distribution  is  better  than  CFLs.  

Also,  try  to  maintain  temperatures  around  28deg  or  less  and  dont  let  it  go  beyond  30deg.  Put  a  multiple  fans,  switch  on  lights  in  evening  time  or  do  whatever  you  can  to  reduce  temperature.  Maintain  steady  water  flow  and  consistent  amounts  of  CO2.  You  can  grow  every  plant  out  there.
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:38 pm Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

Thanks  Hamza.  Nice  write  up.

I  have  crypt  parva  without  knowing  its  name  Smile  LFS  guy  sold  it  to  me  for  just  1x  Smile
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:48 am Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

Thanks  Hamza   Thumb Up
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:34 pm Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

Hi  Hamza,

Nice  description  of  carpet  plants.  Well  I  tried  all  with  your  list  except  Crypt  parva.  Your  details  of  this  
 plant  are  matching  with  my  experience  except  HC.

I  made  the  HC  carpet  2  times,  in  2010  &  2013.

My  HC  experience  :

>  Need  really  high  light

>  High  CO2

>  Cool  temperature  minimum  1-1.5  month  after  planting.  When  it  became  a  carpet  shape  then  little  high  temperature  like,  32deg  is  ok.

>  Though  my  water  is  soft  here  so  no  experience  to  grow  them  in  hard  water.  But  when  you  say  you  have  done  this  then  it's  ok.  

But  I  faced  lots  of  problem  in  low  light  to  grow  HC.  So  this  is  the  point  not  matching  with  my  personal  experience.
DRDHEEP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:04 pm Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

Hamza  :  very  informative.  Will  moss  carpet  attract  lots  of  detritus?
tu13dekh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:27 am Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

Hi  Hamza..

Nice  informative  writeup..
 Any  clues  on  growing  moss  green  with  out  any  algae?
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:43 pm Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

abhis9  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Hamza,

Nice  description  of  carpet  plants.  Well  I  tried  all  with  your  list  except  Crypt  parva.  Your  details  of  this  
 plant  are  matching  with  my  experience  except  HC.

Actually  even  I  thought  it  was  a  very  light  demanding  plant,  but  I  have  tried  it  only  after  seeing  some  aquascapers  using  HC  is  moderate  conditions.  It  works.

Its  growing  in  my  present  tank  with  a  little  over  2wpg  of  old  PLL  lighting.  I  am  mentioning  wpg  just  for  reference.

DRDHEEP  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hamza  :  very  informative.  Will  moss  carpet  attract  lots  of  detritus?                

You  are  absolutely  right  about  detritus,  you  cannot  avoid  it.  For  that  you  must  use  an  extended  gravel  vacuum  over  moss  carpet  and  it'll  pick  out  every  bit  of  muck.  Also  steady  water  flow  over  moss  will  minimize  detritus  build  up.

But  this  is  not  only  for  the  moss.  no  matter  what  carpet  plant  you  have,  you  need  to  vaccum  it  regularly  to  maintain  pristine  health.  Detritus  build-up  chokes  the  plants  and  also  causes  a  number  of  problems.

@Ashish..
 First  tie  moss  very  evenly  and  thinly(single  layer)  where  ever  you  intend  to  grow  it.  Tie  it  firmly.
 Have  a  good  steady  flow  of  water(this  is  generally  applicable  to  all  planted  tanks,  but  we  tend  to  forget  ths).
 Maintain  low  temperatures,  a  range  of  25-28  is  good  enough.  Lower  than  that  might  not  be  good  for  most  tropical  fishes.
 As  I  mentioned  before  keep  the  moss  tidy  by  vacuuming  it  and  dusting  it  frequently.
 And  most  important  of  all,  dont  ever  forget  to  trim  it.  Many  of  us  make  this  mistake,  if  it  grows  too  much  lower  portion  dies  off  and  top  portion  goes  afloat.  Again  you'll  have  to  repeat  the  tedious  process  of  tieing  and  growing  on  the  same  surface  again.
 Its  best  to  have  pressurized  co2  for  vigorous  growth,  but  if  you  dont  supplement  the  tank  with  liquid  form  of  carbon(excel/glut)  and  dose  nutrients  in  little  quantities  on  a  regular  basis.
 Despite  all  this  you  might  find  bits  of  algae  here  and  there,  its  very  normal  as  littl  bit  of  algae  exists  in  all  tanks,  just  pick  out  as  much  as  you  can  or  nuke  excel  over  it,  it'll  subside  in  a  couple  of  days.
bharadwazputta
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:05 am Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

Dwarf  Sagittaria  and  Tenulus
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:44 am Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

Hi  Hamza,

Ok.  Now  I  will  also  try.  

Would  you  mind  to  post  a  snap  of  your  HC  tank  !!
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:10 am Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

abhis9  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Hamza,

Would  you  mind  to  post  a  snap  of  your  HC  tank  !!                

heres  a  snap  for  you..

Its  been  7  weeks  since  I  started  this  tank..

sorry  for  hazy  shot,  thats  the  best  I  could  manage,  I  had  an  algae  bloom(green  water)  sometime  back,  tank  is  taking  some  good  long  time  to  settle...thanks  to  long  powercuts  here  some  days  back.

tank  specs
 28x16x16(31g)
 2x36w  PLL
 diy  substrate  and  EI  dosing

HC  has  been  a  very  forgiving  plant  for  me,  it  did  good  in  all  conditions  I  had  it,  never  disappointed  me.
 I  have  some  elatine  triandra  too,  that  seems  to  be  struggling  with  the  light,  planning  to  add  some  more  light  over  ET  now.
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:27 am Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

Hi  Hamza,

Thanks  for  the  snap.  It's  really  good.

HC  is  my  favourite  plant  and  also  never  disappointed  me  too.  The  only  difference  is  high  light.

Now  this  time  i  will  try  with  low  light  like  you.

Thanks  again.
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 am Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

Abhis9:  In  my  experience  We  don't  have  to  light  up  the  entire  tank  with  the  heavy  light  to  grow  HC.
 In  my  tank  I  have  144  watts  for  250  liter  tank  but  I  have  done  the  following
 1.  kept  the  light  hood  just  above  the  portion  where  I  have  HC.
 2.  I  don't  have  any  stem  plants  at  that  area  to  block  the  light  from  reaching  the  HC  carpet
 3.  The  place  where  I  have  HC  is  little  elevated,  so  the  distance  between  HC  and  the  surface  of  water  is  just  under  15  inches.
 My  HC  cuba  is  doing  good  now.
 So  High  light  for  a  plant  doesn't  mean  High  light  for  the  entire  tank.  Just  that  you  have  to  arrange  the  high  light  plants  together  and  the  low  light  plants  separate.
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:30 am Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

For  the  light  Gokul  has  got  the  only  plant  is  Marsila  hirasuta....It  will  grow  in  your  tank  but  it  will  take  its  sweeet  time
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:19 pm Post subject: Re: Nice looking & Less Demanding Carpet plants Reply with quote

Hi  Jabba,

I  never  meant  high  light  for  the  entire  tank.  But  obviously  it  will  be  totally  depends  on  the  scape.  

According  to  my  current  tank  &  scape  it's  just  not  possible  somewhere  highlight  and  somewhere  lowlight.

You  can  see  my  tank  picture.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: