91. Guest
92. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,815

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Rotala Macrandra mini (Dark RED) - Not growing
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Rotala Macrandra mini (Dark RED) - Not growing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:09 am Post subject: Re: Rotala Macrandra mini (Dark RED) - Not growing Reply with quote

Aquaguard  is  a  UV  and  mechanical  filter,  it  wont  soften  the  water  at  all.
 Test  your  aquaguard  water  by  electrolysis,  you'll  be  shocked  to  see  such  high  quantities  of  dissolved  salts  and  metals.

I  currently  get  RO  bottles  locally,  though  quite  expensive  in  my  area  but  I  have  no  other  option.  I  mix  it  with  my  tap  water  50%  for  the  tank.  My  tap  TDS  varies  throughout  the  year.  In  summers  it  goes  very  high(500+),  as  due  to  shortage  municipal  department  is  known  to  mix  up  ground  water  in  supply  and  degrade  it.  And  rest  of  the  time  I  get  about  2-300ppm  from  tap,  quite  good,  but  still  a  little  on  high  end.
 I  am  already  fed  up  of  poor  customer  service  and  performance  of  my  aquaguard  UV  filter.
 I  am  planning  for  a  DIY  RO  Unit  before  next  summers.  You  get  the  whole  system,  just  that  you  need  to  assemble  and  maintain  it  yourself.  3-5stage  systems  are  available.  They  cost  3times  less  than  branded  RO  systems  on  initial  cost  and  maintenance  as  well.  You  can  do  it  as  well.

@joealex
 Man!  you  are  advising  something  thats  highly  in  contrast  with  Shelly's  situation.
 Go  back  and  check  the  water  parameters  of  those  foreign  guys  put  up  in  their  journals.  In  most  states(USA  and  other  countries)  municipal  water  has  a  TDS  of  40-50ppm  at  max.  Thats  why  they  need  to  increase  Kh  and  gH,  unlike  us.  Shelly  has  a  TDS  of  800+  already,  his  gH  and  kH  will  be  exceeding  the  desired  level  by  a  huge  margin.
joealex
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:06 pm Post subject: Re: Rotala Macrandra mini (Dark RED) - Not growing Reply with quote

@Hamza,   sorry,  didn't  mean  to  confuse  you/shelly.     

To  be  clear  on  what  Tom  has  suggested  
 1.  Keep  KH  low
 2.  No  dosing.  

Based  on  my  research,  low  KH  can  be  achieved  by  using  RO  water  and  also  by  increasing  CO2.   I  think  that's  what  you  and  other  members  are  also  suggesting   -  "Use  RO  water".     I'm  also  using  RO  water  for  my  tank.   Since  I  have  the  same  issue,  even  though  I  use  RO  water,  I  did  some  search  and  found  the  Tom  Barr's  suggestion.  

But  the  new  thing  that  he  has  suggested  is  "No  dosing"  to  increase  the  plant  stress.   Not  sure  whether  our  members  have  tried  out  this  concept  for  the  plant  in  question  !
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:09 pm Post subject: Re: Rotala Macrandra mini (Dark RED) - Not growing Reply with quote

@Joealex,  the  no  dosing  suggested  by  Tom  Barr  refers  mainly  to  nitrates  only,  Nitrate  deficiency  in  plants  is  said  to  bring  out  red  in  plants.
 However  it  is  not  without  risks.
 Red  colour  in  leaves  is  often  a  sign  of  stress,  wither  by  way  of  high  lights,  high  iron,  high  nitrates  etc.
 There  is  one  another  aspect  I  would  like  to  point  out,  we  are  talking  about  TDS,  TDS  is  not  hardness,  it  is  total  dissolved  solids.
 Hardness  refers  to  Calcium  (Ca)  and  Magnesium  (Mg)  concentrations  in  water,  and  is  measured  by  GH  (General  hardness),  it  is  more  relevant  to  plant  growth.
 For  example  If  I  take  1  lit  of  distilled  water  it  will  have  TDS=0  and  GH=0,  now  I  dissolve  100  mg  of  common  salt  (NaCl),  the  TDS  will  be  100  ppm  but  GH  or  hardness  will  still  be  zero.
 A  water  of  TDS  800  ppm  can  have  GH  anywhere  from  200  -500  ppm  depending  upon  the  minerals  in  water.
 So  If  one  is  going  to  change  water  parameters,  it  better  to  have  Gh  measured.
sumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:13 pm Post subject: Re: Rotala Macrandra mini (Dark RED) - Not growing Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Shelly,  I  already  do  it,  but  get  a  TDS  meter,  GH,  Kh  testing  kit.
 My  source  water  has  hardness  of  1300,  Gh  530.
 I  have  bought  it  down  to  TDS  700,  GH  300.                

Seriously  ?
 1300  ?  That  might  cause  some  serious  health  issues.  Even  700  is  too  high.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:13 pm Post subject: Re: Rotala Macrandra mini (Dark RED) - Not growing Reply with quote

[quote="sumer";p="333938"]                                                  
sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Seriously  ?
 1300  ?  That  might  cause  some  serious  health  issues.  Even  700  is  too  high.                

That  is  why  we  use  RO  Water  for  domestic  purposes.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: