Joined: Nov 03, 2015 Posts: 61 Location: Bengaluru
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:28 am Post subject: Re: DIY CO2 STAINLESS STEEL (CHINA MADE) (Citric + baking so
I have 2 X 1.5 X 1.5 feet tank and I have 3 kg cylinder. It lasts for close to 6+ months. I get CO2 refilled via factory. Approx cost is about Rs. 200/-
Never get refilled from people who do it from cylinder to cylinder since due to less pressure it may not refill properly and you will end up loosing time/money. Once I got it done from a cylinder to cylinder and it hardly lasted for 2 months. Again experience differs, you may get a good volume if cylinder from which it's being refilled is full. Charge for small cylinder is per refill not volume so you end up frequent refill and money.
Double gauge is good but not necessary, actually I would not recommend since it will cost you more.
Solenoid valve which I mentioned in my earlier post, you don't have to attach it to regulator. Connection is via CO2 pipe from regulator to solenoid and then again via pipe from Solenoid to diffuser in the tank. Also, get an inline diffuser or CO2 reactor for better efficiency.
Last edited by mkk19800 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:37 pm Post subject: Re: DIY CO2 STAINLESS STEEL (CHINA MADE) (Citric + baking so
I recently moved to pressurised co2 setup from Citric acid+Baking soda DIY setup. I got the 2KG cylinder and a cheap regulator which also acts as a needle valve from Umino store in Injambakkam. I initially used the wyin solenoid(Chinese) which i was using in the DIY setup later moved to better solenoid. I did the installation on my own. Few learnings from my experience-
- Regulators available in aquarium stores are expensive than the proper dual gauge regulator available in pnumatic shops. I got a proper yamoto dual gauge regulator from a pnumatic shop post my bad experience with the one i got from aquarium shop.
- I was unable to connect the yamoto regulator to the co2 cylinder because of thread mismatch. The Pnumatic shop guy helped me in replacing thread of the regulator.
- wyin(Chinese) solenoid was unable to handle the operating pressure from the co2 cylinder. It failed to open the valve once the pressure builds. Got a local made solenoid(Janatics) and it works well.
- Some effort is required to assemble the setup without any leaks. If you go for all in one regulators available in aquarium shops, the issue related to leaks will be minimum to nill as everything is put together. But it will be expensive. If you go for custom approach, It is relatively cheap but you have to put some effort in identifying the right parts and assembling it. Assembling is easy if you have tools like wrench and spaners
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:04 pm Post subject: Re: DIY CO2 STAINLESS STEEL (CHINA MADE) (Citric + baking so
For the benefit of new members
1) when you are giving it for refilling measure the weight of the cylinder and weigh it again after refilling, in that way you will not get cheated. All small cylinders (other than a standard one 9kg) are refilled bottle to bottle.
2) coke (any Corbonated drink) bottle with citric acid and baking soda prone to explosion if the bottles are very old (i have experienced myself) change the bottles every 3 months.
3) for beginners who can spend little more time diy co2 with sugar and yeast are the best (provided you are not controlling the flow of CO2) I am still using this method and the growth is not less than that of pressurized CO2 as long as you are using a co2 reactor that mixes the co2.
in any of these method use an air stone when you are not using the light as the plants also breaths oxygen during the night.
Joined: Nov 07, 2007 Posts: 2011 Location: Bangalore
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:06 pm Post subject: Re: DIY CO2 STAINLESS STEEL (CHINA MADE) (Citric + baking so
If you are buying from different places check if the connections fit properly. Any CO2 hard ware bought locally is of standard size so you need not worry about fitting it together. This is an issue if you are purchasing abroad. check the size and if it matches go ahead.
Joined: Dec 13, 2009 Posts: 108 Location: Bangalore
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:35 pm Post subject: Re: DIY CO2 STAINLESS STEEL (CHINA MADE) (Citric + baking so
Bumping an old thread since I have very similar requirements
Looking to move to a pressurized setup from my DIY. From what I gather, i'm better off buying regulator+solenoid+needle valve from a pneumatic shop around SP road, however not sure where to pick up the cylinder from. I know LFS sells cylinder but not clear on the other option, do I need to approach local welding stores or industrial gas supplies shops ?
Also, any suggestions for stores on SP road (izzy hardware was recommended) and trustworthy LFS around vijayanagar ?
All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours Goto page Previous1, 2
Page 2 of 2
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum