171. Guest
172. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,742

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Update 1st June
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Update 1st June
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:43 pm Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

bmukh  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hmmm,
 the  tank  looks  good.  Don't  think  of  ripping  i  off----its  not  helping  (thats  what  we  keep  assuring  each  other)                  

Severumkid  wrote  (View  Post):                

Tank  looks  damn  cool....PLEASE  DO  NOT  RIP  THIS  APART.

Ok...  Saars....  will  not  rip  it.  Will  keep  it  alive  to  see  how  long  it  can  bug  me  arround.  Chuckle  

@Unni:  Will  take  couple  of  Mactro  Shots  of  them  and  send  it  to  you.   Razz  

sgravi2k  wrote  (View  Post):                

T2CHATTO  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  will  not  rip  out  the  setup,  just  to  see  if  I  can  get  rid  of  the  problems  and  if  I  can  bring  back  the  balance.  

But  after  seeing  my  frustration,  my  betterhalf  approved  my  request  of  a  small  ADA  moss  tank.   Cheering                

Thats  the  spirit   Thumb Up  I  had  so  much  of  battle  due  to  ill  maintenance  along  with  poor  knowledge  as  well  as  my  unavailability  but  still  am  fighting  with  each  of  those  challenges  to  learn  and  overcome.  Good  luck  for  the  new  approval  that  you  got  Very Happy

Thats  why  I  love  this  hobby  so  much.  It's  throwing  a  new  challenge  everyday  so  we  can  keep  us  updated.

Why  not  (1)  try  the  UV  light?  and  (2)  make  a  trip  to  my  house  and  pick  up  some  Ottos  and  mollies?  Btw,  mut  admit  my  5  Ottos  and  20  RCS  seems  to  be  all  influencd  by  VLCCs  of  the  world  Very Happy   They  are  on  a  diet---the  algae  grows   Sad  !!!                  

1.  Your  UV  sterelizer  is  lying  with  me  only.  Hope  you  won't  mind  if  I  can  open  it  and  start  using  for  couple  of  days.  Very Happy  

2.  Will  lure  them  out  with  "Toblerone"  coated  Hair  Algae.  Will  see  how  long  they  can  stick  to  their  VLCC  program.

Btw,  just  remebered  your  tank  is  next  to  the  verandah  with  direct  access  to  sunlight......  just  wondering...

But  no  direct  sunlight  for  the  tank.  Only  a  mild  indirect  sunlight  hitting  the  tank  that  also  when  the  door  is  opened.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

I  seriously  wonder,  how  effective  are  Ottos  and  RCS  are  when  it  comes  to  cleaning  noticeable  amount  of  algae?  As  in,  to  make  a  noticeable  difference  in  the  appearance,  I  believe  that  you  have  to  keep  10  million  Ottos  and  3  trillion  RCS....what  a  waste  of  time,  money  and  energy....Mollies  win  hands  down,  any  given  day....I  would  like  to  know  the  name  of  the  bugger  who  started  this  myth  about  algae  eating  crew  and  what  not.   Thumb Down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:53 pm Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

I  seriously  wonder,  how  effective  are  Ottos  and  RCS  are  when  it  comes  to  cleaning  noticeable  amount  of  algae?  As  in,  to  make  a  noticeable  difference  in  the  appearance,  I  believe  that  you  have  to  keep  10  million  Ottos  and  3  trillion  RCS....what  a  waste  of  time,  money  and  energy....Mollies  win  hands  down,  any  given  day....I  would  like  to  know  the  name  of  the  bugger  who  started  this  myth  about  algae  eating  crew  and  what  not.   Thumb Down                

Another  height  of  Frustration.   ROFL
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:59 pm Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

Deb,
 have  to  agree  with  u  on  the  mollies  versus  Otto  debate.  However,  I  must  say  that  Mollies  are  better  in  showing  off  while  Ottos  have  marketed  themselves  well  and  RCS  --can't  be  found  so  no  idea  what  they  do.  I  always  find  the  Mollies  nibbling  at  the  hair  algae   Very Happy  (but  not  chewing  them   Chuckle  ),  Ottos  dedicatedly  sitting  on  algae  (but  doing  neither   Chuckle  ),  and  RCS-  dont  eve  locate  them  most  of  th  time  and  cant  say  what  they  do.  Apparently  they  eat  algae  in  te  night  when  they  can't  be  seen  in  action   Very Happy  ).  So  there,  I  have  a  armyof  algae  eaters  and  yet  all  that  I  do  every  morning  for  an  hour  is  not  toothbrush  but  algaebrush!!
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:02 pm Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

Deb,
 have  to  agree  with  u  on  the  mollies  versus  Otto  debate.  However,  I  must  say  that  Mollies  are  better  in  showing  off  while  Ottos  have  marketed  themselves  well  and  RCS  --can't  be  found  so  no  idea  what  they  do.  I  always  find  the  Mollies  nibbling  at  the  hair  algae   Very Happy  (but  not  chewing  them   Chuckle  ),  Ottos  dedicatedly  sitting  on  algae  (but  doing  neither   Chuckle  ),  and  RCS-  dont  eve  locate  them  most  of  th  time  and  cant  say  what  they  do.  Apparently  they  eat  algae  in  te  night  when  they  can't  be  seen  in  action   Very Happy  ).  So  there,  I  have  a  armyof  algae  eaters  and  yet  all  that  I  do  every  morning  for  an  hour  is  not  toothbrush  but  algaebrush!!                

Ottos  will  not  touch  any  thread/hair  algae.  They  are  only  for  Diatoms  and  the  Slime  coating  on  Glass.  Not  even  for  GDA.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:39 pm Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

T2CHATTO  wrote  (View  Post):                

Another  height  of  Frustration.   ROFL                
Uuuuff!  Wall Bang
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
harsh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:29 pm Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

Hey  Tirthankar!   Beautiful  stuff.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:37 pm Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

harsh  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hey  Tirthankar!   Beautiful  stuff.                

Hey  Buddy...  how  are  you?  Long  time  no  see.  Can  you  remember  those  Hydrocotyle  umbellata  ?  They  are  still  thriving  in  my  tank.  Smile  

Thanks  for  the  kind  words.
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:01 am Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

Lovely  scaping!  In  my  limited  experience...  if  you  dont  mind  it  coming  from  a  beginner,  the  hair  grass  makes  it  look  like  a  farm  with  mountains  behind,  dont  know  if  you  wanted  to  get  that  look.

The  way  your  driftwood  is  placed  is  beautiful.  Dont  pull  it  apart,  it  still  looks  beautiful.

Keep  going
Venki
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:09 am Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

Excellent  work,  Tirtha..  The  angels  look  awesome..
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:58 am Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

Shreyasmrao  wrote  (View  Post):                
Lovely  scaping!  In  my  limited  experience...  if  you  dont  mind  it  coming  from  a  beginner,  the  hair  grass  makes  it  look  like  a  farm  with  mountains  behind,  dont  know  if  you  wanted  to  get  that  look.

The  way  your  driftwood  is  placed  is  beautiful.  Dont  pull  it  apart,  it  still  looks  beautiful.

Keep  going                

Shreyas......  there  is  nothing  called  a  beginner  or  Pro  in  this  hobby.  We  all  are  learning  new  things  everyday.  Yes  you  are  right  that  those  hair  grass  is  taller  than  the  rock.  But  I  would  request  you  not  to  look  at  the  scape  at  all,  cause  currently  after  having  so  many  algae  outbreak,  I  fade  up  and  stop  taking  any  care  of  this  tank.  Everything  is  growing  as  they  wish  to  grow.  I  am  just  waiting  for  a  right  time  so  I  can  redo  the  tank  and  take  the  setup  into  a  balance.   Smile  
 And  as  being  on  the  same  boat,  we  both  know  how  much  time  we  are  having  for  our  own  when  we  have  newborns  at  home.   Smile  

Venki  wrote  (View  Post):                

Excellent  work,  Tirtha..  The  angels  look  awesome..

Thanks  Venki.
Deba
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:00 pm Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Algae Festival (05-02-09) Reply with quote

When  will  this  Algae  menace  end??  Algae  seems  to  be  the  greatest  trouble  maker  in  our  Aquariums.

Wall Bang   Sad   Wall Bang   Sad
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:47 pm Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Update Time (08-03-09) Reply with quote

Please  don't  laugh  at  me.  Am  back  again  with  my  so  called  Planted  tank  and  Algae  update.

Unni  came  to  my  place  last  26th  Feb  and  saw  red  hair  algae  farm.  After  2  days,  I  did  a  big  water  change  and  cleaned  the  filter.  And  dosed  the  tank.  Next  morning  I  found  this,

Installed  UV  sterelizer  11  Watt  and  switched  off  the  light  for  next  4  days.  Overdosed  Algen  Killer  -  T  (Bappa  picked  up  this  stuff  from  Viena  last  year  and  we  found  a  good  R'nD  tank  at  my  place).  This  is  my  first  time  I  have  used  any  algaecide  so  was  bit  sceptical  on  it's  effects  on  Plants  and  fishes.  Yesterday  evening  I  changed  arround  90%  water  and  cleaned  the  glasses  after  arround  1  month.  Here  how  it  is  as  of  today  evening.

Water  is  little  bit  cloudy  and  no  sigh  of  other  algae.

Now  for  these  repeated  algae  attack,  this  tank  went  out  of  control  and  some  plants  have  grown  like  weed  and  some  simply  melted  away.  Hope  this  is  the  end  of  algae  phase.  I  am  ordering  some  plants  to  fill  up  the  empty  places  as  well  as  will  re  arrange  the  existing  plants.  

Below  is  the  plants  I  am  getting  for  this  tank,

ROTALA  MEXICANA  'ARAGUAIA'
 ROTALA  MEXICANA  'GOIAS'
 ROTALA  SP.  'COLORATA'
 ROTALA  SP.  'VIETNAM'

There  are  few  more  names  in  my  mind.  Will  keep  you  posted  later  if  I  will  able  to  get  them.
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:14 am Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Update Time (08-03-09) Reply with quote

The  effect  of  Algen-T  seems  good.  But  lets  wait  for  a  while.  The  med  I  gave  u  is  specially  meant  for  ponds--so  i  guess  it  could  be  very  very  strong.  Before,  you  put  any  plants,  observe  it  for  a  while.  Meanwhile,  observe  the  mosses.  I  would  suggest  remove  sme  of  the  moss  tied  driftwoods  to  the  other  empty  tank  you  have  and  keep  some  in  your  120  gallons.  

Lets  keep  our  fingers  crossed.  I  could  never  try  that  medicine  because  of  RCS.  But  perhaps,  if  it  works  well,  I  can  think  of  giving  some  of  my  stuff  a  Alagen  T  bath.  

Finally,  the  root  cause  of  algae  (which  we  still  dont  know)  still  remains----wonder  when  we  will  find  that.

Bappa
shameek
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:35 am Post subject: Re: DREAM ::120 Gallon Journal :: Update Time (08-03-09) Reply with quote

@  Tirtha  da/Bappa  da
 what  are   the  ingredients  of  "Alagen  T"?
 Tirtha  da,what  about  the  moss?are  they  ok?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: