198. Guest
199. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,755

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:37 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Some  pictures  of  our  Kumta  trip.

The  Sharavati  river  and  our  touring  car.

The  bridge  at  Honnavar.

The  duo  standing  in  front  of  a  laterite  quarry.

The  duo  in  action.  Peeping  in  for  aquatic  treasures.

Name  the  fruit  which  has  its  seed  outside  the  fruit.  Right  guys,  it  is  the  cashew  Thumb Up  .  
 Behind  Adip  are  the  laterite  bricks.
Da_vipin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:40 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Rasikanayak  sir,  you  probably  write  diaries...   Confused   How  come  you  remember  minute  details  even  today?
 Whatever  may  be  the  case,  this  topic  is  turning  to  be  the  best  selling..  Thumb Up  keep  going.......
pennyilurm
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:32 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Somebody  stop  this  man!!!!

I  remember  looking  forward  to  Tintin  comic  strip  every  week  in  the  WEEK  magazine  when  I  was  a  student.  I  am  getting  the  same  old  feeling  now.
 Every  day  I  am  online  just  to  see  if  there  are  any  new  updates  from  Nayak.

Nayak  is  writing  every  aquarists  Biography.
 So  much  in  common.  

I  must  appreciate  Nayak  and  his  effort  to  keep  it  going  regularly.  I  know  he  is  a  busy  man  and  works  in  a  tight  schedule.  Nice  memory  too,  must  be  all  the  nicotine.  

Thanks  Nayak  for  all  the  kind  words  and  finally  giving  my  fluke  photography  an  A  certificate.
 Enjoyed  the  pic   of  younger   Trevor.   Smile  

regards

Niranjan
shishirkamat
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:28 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Hi  Nayak,
 I  agree  with  Niranjan,I  too  check  out  your  thread  daily  to  see  whats  new  Smile  Great  going.That  young  Trevor  also  looks  great  Thumb Up  
 Nayak...you  look  damn  sexy  in  that  Purple  shorts,maybe  one  reason  why  the  fish  are  attracted  on  your  fishing  trips
 Regards
 Shishir  kamat
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:06 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

@  Nayak   Bow  .....by  the  way  i  agree  with  Shishirkamat,  you  do  look  very  sexy  in  those  purple  shorts,  you  look  like  a  fish.   Chuckle  

Great  going.....keep  it  coming..
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:56 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Hi,

April-2006

Situation  on  the  home  front-  A  sort  of  armed  truce.  

This  caused  my  12  new  tanks  to  remain  bare.  There  is  no  sight  more  miserable  than  a  empty  tank.  I  needed  a  weapon  to  break  the  stalemate  and  I  had  it  in  my  hand.

Clutching  my  precious  possession  of  fishes  and  invertebrates  caught  in  my  wife's  home  town  Kumta  we  returned  to  Bangalore.

Me-  See  what  I  got  for  you.
 She(eagerly,  thinking  her  mother  has  sent  her  something)-What  is  it?

Me-  See(  showing  her  the  packets  of  fishes)
 She-  Oh!  fishesaaa?

Me-  What  fishesaaa?  These  were  caught  in  Kumta.  One  of  the  rarest  Killi.  And  see  these  prawns.  Very  rare.  Nobody  has  them.  People  are  paying  20  Singapore  Dollars  to  import  these  Killies.
 She(intrigued  in-spite  of  herself)-Where  did  you  catch  them?

Me-  You  know  that  Siddapur  road  that  goes  in  front  of  your  fathers  house.  We  travelled  around  20Kms  and  came  across  that  stream.  You  should  have  seen  the  schools  of  rare  fishes  there.  trevor  and  Adip  went  crazy  looking  at  the  fishes.  Next  time  we  go  to  Kumta  I  will  take  you  there.
 Wife(Suddenly  suspicious,  She  had  not  forgotten  my  earlier  magnanimity)-Where  are  you  going  to  keep  them?

Me(in  deep  thought)-  Well....  I  cannot  keep  them  with  these  silly  fishes(Silly=Cardinals,  Black  phantoms,Neons,Golden  pencils,  Corydoras  and  one  Pekoltia  Sp.  costing  1200/-)  These  fishes  might  kill  the  Killi.
 She(  getting  the  drift  of  the  conversation)-Silent

Me(as  if  it  suddenly  hit  me)-  What  I  can  do....  I  can  keep  the  fishes  temporarily  in  the  tanks  in  the  shed.  Once  my  friend  wants  to  take  the  tanks  WE  can  think  of  something  else(Note  the  use  of  we).
 She(A  deep  sigh)-Finally  you  get  to  use  your  tanks.  OK.

Success!
 This  was  the  first  tank  to  be  occupied  in  the  shed.....
 Photographer-Trevor  Menezes(posted  with  his  permission)
 Dated-14-May-2006

I  made  it  a  point  always,  to  take  any  visitor/relative  from  my  wife's  side  to  show  them  the  fishes  from  Kumta.  In  front  of  them  the  tanks  holding  the  Aplocheilus  lineatus  took  the  pride  of  the  place.

On  the  aquatic  front.....

Madan  had  returned  and  so  had  the  excitement.

I  don't  know  what  it  is  about  Madan.  In  spite  of  racking  my  brains  I  cannot  narrate  a  single  incident  where  he  has  helped  me.  And  I  also  know  that  Madan  has  helped  me  a  lot  in  my  Hobby.
 If  I  had  any  doubts  or  any  query  ,  I  would  approach  Madan  meaning  to  get  it  cleared.
 But  coming  away  I  would  be  like,  I  knew  the  answers  all  along.
 That  was  the  way  Madan  explained.  I  never  heard  him  say  do  this  or  do  that.  He  would  guide  us  in  such  a  way  that  we  would  come  to  the  logical  conclusion  ourselves.
 Hallmark  of  a  true  leader.

I  am  posting  early  today  due  to  some  unexpected  work.
 Tomorrow  is  chit  chat  day.  Please  be  free  to  post.

Regards,
 Nayak.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:14 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Rasik
 This  must  rate  as  one  of  best  posts  ever  to  be  posted  on  IAH.  Clapping  
 Your  narrative  style  is  fantastic,  are  you  sure  that  none  of  Balaji's  "Saas  bahu"  serial  has  been  written  by  you.  Very Happy  
 Any  way  your  dedication  and  perservnce  with  the  hobby  is  tremendous.
 Also  your  handling  of  better  half  has  given  me  a  lot  of  ideas  Thumb Up  
 Keep  it  coming  man.
Yogesh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Nayak
 Great  conversation  n  keep  it  going...  Chuckle     Chuckle  
 My  wife  was  happy  to  see  pic  of  fish  from  her  native  place  Kumta.  Very Happy
random2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:13 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Great  thread.

Im  addicted  to  this  as  my  mother  is  to  Etv  soaps  at  night.  And  I  think  we  (i.e  I  and  my  mother)  mutually  hate  each  others  tastes  in  this  aspect  Smile
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:14 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Some  more  photos  from  the  Kumta  trip.

Some  of  the  ferns.

Moss  on  the  rock..

At  an  aquaculture  shrimp  farm.  The  duo  finding  out  what  they  feed  the  cultured  shrimp  for  quick  growth.

Salt  pans  in  Kumta.

A  cashew  tree  with  ripe  fruit.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:14 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Madan  Subramanian

At  Salem.

At  Parambikulam  Dam.

Madan  is  one  of  the  directors  on  the  board  of  the  Aquarist  society  of  Karnataka  and  an  Adminstrator  of  the  Indian  aquarium  hobbyist  website.
 Most  of  you  must  have  met  him  and  have  seen  his  skill  with  planted  tanks.
 One  of  the  first  with  Co2  injection,  metal  halides  and  several  self  made  gizmos  for  the  planted  tank.

He  had  constructed  an  8  x  2  x  2  foot  plywood  tank  with  help  from  the  entire  family.  Madan  had  more  luck  than  Nayak  or  was  it  skill  in  roping  his  better  half  on  his  aquatic  adventures.  
 For  six  months  of  the  year  his  tanks  run  on  autopilot  since  he  is  away  during  this  time  at  sea.  Water  changes  I  suppose  by  the  better  half  if  she  is  in  the  mood.

During  the  early  days  of  Internet,  dial  up  and  exorbitant  tariffs  Madan  would  down  load  aquaria  related  stuff,  put  it  on  a  CD  and  give  it  to  us.  
 He  is  also  the  trigger  for  many  of  our  aquatic  fish  collection  trips  and  tours.
diwan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:43 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

pennyilurm  wrote  (View  Post):                
Somebody  stop  this  man!!!!

I  remember  looking  forward  to  Tintin  comic  strip  every  week  in  the  WEEK  magazine  when  I  was  a  student.  I  am  getting  the  same  old  feeling  now.
 Every  day  I  am  online  just  to  see  if  there  are  any  new  updates  from  Nayak.

Nayak  is  writing  every  aquarists  Biography.
 So  much  in  common.  

I  must  appreciate  Nayak  and  his  effort  to  keep  it  going  regularly.  I  know  he  is  a  busy  man  and  works  in  a  tight  schedule.  Nice  memory  too,  must  be  all  the  nicotine.  

Thanks  Nayak  for  all  the  kind  words  and  finally  giving  my  fluke  photograph  an  A  certificate.
 Enjoyed  the  pic   of  younger   Trevor.   Smile  

regards

Niranjan                

Niranjan   we  are  curious  to  know  why  you  recieved  "A"  Certificate  for  your  photograph(y)  can  you  please  share  it  .  Surprised  

Okay  was  just  kiddin  Niranjan,I  would  once  again  like  to  thank  &  credit  you  for  showing  me  the  many  techniques  of  macro  photography  of  my  Fuji  FinePix  S3100.It  enabled  me  take  some  very  good  pics  of  my  Severums.

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                

Madan  Subramanian

At  Salem.

At  Parambikulam  Dam.

Madan  is  one  of  the  directors  on  the  board  of  the  Aquarist  society  of  Karnataka  and  an  Adminstrator  of  the  Indian  aquarium  hobbyist  website.
 Most  of  you  must  have  met  him  and  have  seen  his  skill  with  planted  tanks.
 One  of  the  first  with  Co2  injection,  metal  halides  and  several  self  made  gizmos  for  the  planted  tank.

He  had  constructed  an  8  x  2  x  2  foot  plywood  tank  with  help  from  the  entire  family.  Madan  had  more  luck  than  Nayak  or  was  it  skill  in  roping  his  better  half  on  his  aquatic  adventures.  
 For  six  months  of  the  year  his  tanks  run  on  autopilot  since  he  is  away  during  this  time  at  sea.  Water  changes  I  suppose  by  the  better  half  if  she  is  in  the  mood.

During  the  early  days  of  Internet,  dial  up  and  exorbitant  tariffs  Madan  would  down  load  aquaria  related  stuff,  put  it  on  a  CD  and  give  it  to  us.  
 He  is  also  the  trigger  for  many  of  our  aquatic  fish  collection  trips  and  tours.

Trevor   what  were  you  guys  doing  with  a  truckload  of  PVC  pipes.  Confused      ROFL  

Nayak  you  were  lucky  in  landing  a  great  deal  for   12  aquariums  with  ready  rack  .....  may  be  if  I  had  got  wind  of  any  info  regarding  the  offer  I  would  have  started  bidding  for  the  same  Chuckle   Chuckle  

Regards
 Dinesh.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:59 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

diwan  wrote  (View  Post):                

Trevor   what  were  you  guys  doing  with  a  truckload  of  PVC  pipes.  Confused      ROFL  
 Regards
 Dinesh.                

That  daring  Tamil  tiger  truck  driver  parked  to  the  left  of  us  at  the  Salem  roundabout  junction.  We  could  do  nothing  but  smile  at  him  and  curse  him  under  our  breath.
 We  were  waiting  for  Venkat  and  Beta  to  join  us  on  our  onward  journey  to  the  Annaimalai  hills.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:02 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Happy  Deepavali  Guys,

Ahhh,Yes.  The  Annaimalai  trip.  Time  to  make  that  non  fishy  trip  known  to  the  fish-keeping  fraternity.

Year  2005-July-28

Two  cars  set  out  to  Salem.  One  was  my  trustworthy  Indigo  Marina  and  the  other  was  Madan's  veteran  touring  car  Versa.
 The  above  photo  posted  by  Trevor  is  of  Madan  when  we  were  waiting  for  Venkat,Madhu  and  Beta.  Having  picked  them  we  proceeded  towards  Coimbatore.

On  the  way  instead  of  keeping  quiet  Madhu  began  exhorting  the  virtues  of  Turkey  Biryani  made  in  Salem.  This  annoyed  Trevor  no  end  since  his  logic  was  that  any  good  food  should  be  first  tasted  and  then  exhorted,  and  Trevor  had  not  yet  tasted  the  Biryani.  He  began  berating  Madhu  for  not  picking  some  up  since  Salem  was  where  he  was  from.

The  conversation  was  proceeding  in  this  manner  when  we  reached  a  town  at  the  foot  hills  of  Annaimalai.  Here  Madhu  got  a  small  reprieve  since  Trevor  was  able  to  obtain  matured  Grape  juice.  Confirming  our  earlier  booking  we  proceeded  towards  Mount  Stuart  on  the  Annaimalai  hills.

Along  the  way  we  had  to  pass  through  a  small  village  which  actually  looked  like  a  slum  and  we  started  coming  across  boards  warning  against  Liquor  and  Smoking,  Annaimalai  being  a  reserve  forest.  This  was  like  pouring  oil  on  Fire.  Since  the  trip  prior  to  Annaimalai  was  to  Subramanya,  Trevor  again  started  his  monologue,  about  how  he  had  arranged  A/C  accommodation  in  a  place  having  no  slums  as  well  as  no  restrictions  on  anything.  He  bemoaned  his  fate  about  how  some  people  could  not  handle  hospitality  and  how  he  had  placed  himself  at  their  mercy,  while  looking  pointedly  at  Madhu  and  Venkat.  But  knowing  Trevor,  Madhu  and  Venkat  kept  quiet  and  refused  to  be  baited.

The  story  of  Trevor's  dialogue's  are  best  told  by  Madhu  and  Venkat,  when  after  passing  umpteen  boards  warning  against  liquor  and  smoking  we  came  across  a  beer  bellied,  blood  shot  eyed,  breath  reeking,beedi  smoking  forest  guard.

I  will  let  Madhu  continue  with  the  story.

Regards,
 Nayak.

Last edited by rasikanayak on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:13 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

I  dont  know  what  the  magic  is  with  Madan,  some  how  when  he  is  in  Bangalore  everyone  is  ready  for  trips.  Now  nobody  seems  intrested   Sad
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 15 of 31

Jump to: