71. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Visiting Mumbai
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Visiting Mumbai
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:05 pm Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

Alistair  wrote  (View  Post):                
3)  Fishing  with  a  founding  father  of  IAH,  the  guy  who  netted  the  Pearlspot  canara.  :)

Wot  say  beta?  Wot  say  everybody?  Maybe  a  not  so  far  spot  like  Kalundre  river  in  panvel.  A  half  day  trip?  Would  that  be  possible?                

Old  wives  tale  :)

Im  not  sure  I  will  be  dressed  for  the  occasion  but  as  long  as  its  half  day  its  ok  I  guess.  I  might  have  couple  of  LFS/Farm  to  visit  so  that  should  give  me  enough  time.
Yogesh

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:51 pm Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

Wouldn't  Panvel  be  too  far  for  a  half-day  trip?  JMO  Unsure
saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:02 pm Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

Guys  when  are  you  planning  this  half  day  trip.
 I'd  be  in  Mumbai  from  7th  to  10th  and  would  love  to  join.
sameerjoshi99
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:04 pm Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

Im  in  for  a  half  day  trip!!  Thumbs Up   and  yeah  panvel  we'll  have  to  start  by  6  in  the  morning  to  be  back  by  3-4  like  last  time
sameerjoshi99
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:05 pm Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

There  is  a  river  on  ghodbunder  road!  I  believe  its  ulhas  river!  do  you  guys  have  any  idea  abt  it??
swapnils
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:19 pm Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

There  are  a  lot  of  rivers  in  Raigad  region  on  Mumbai  -  Goa  Highway,  especially  b/w  Panvel  and  Raidag.  You  guys  may  try  it.  The  water  level  is  pretty  low  now  from  what  i  saw  from  car  when  i  was  travelling  back  from  my  native  2  weeks  back.
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:31 am Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

Yogesh,

Yes,  Panvel  would  be  a  bit  far.  But  by  road  it  should  take  an  hour  from  powai,  and  1.5  hours  from  borivili  (It  is  50  km  from  borivili,  and  55kms  if  via  powai)  in  the  early  hours  of  the  morning,  and  in  the  afternoon  hours  of  a  weekend.  So  we  get  around  3  hours  for  fishing,  if  we  want  to  limit  the  trip  to  6  hours  max.  But  nothing  closer  comes  to  mind.  Most  of  the  water  bodies  in  and  close  around  the  island  city  are  creeks,  or  rivers  that  are  too  polluted  and  fall  out  to  the  sea.

Another  option  is  circling  around  NP,  around  its  borders  trying  to  locate  water  bodies  from  the  outside.  Maybe  we  can  locate  the  stream  that  clive  had  mentioned.  If  it  was  flowing  in  the  park,  it  must  flow  out  of  the  park,  or  into  the  park.  There  are  no  big  rivers  as  such  that  run  into  the  NP  area.  And  finding  waterbodies  in  this  forest,  in  the  fag  end  of  summer  can  be  challenging.  Also  can  be  a  bit  risky,  considering  there  are  wild  animals  in  the  vicinity.  The  forest  from  NP  stretches  all  the  way  from  borivili  to  Bhandup-mulund.  In  between  lies  the  vihar  &  tulsi  lakes.  But  going  to  the  Tulsi  lake  area  is  prohibhited.  Maybe  there  are  water  bodies  in  this  area,  but  am  not  sure  about  it.

If  we  go  north  from  borivili  (on  NH8  or  take  a  train  to  Vaitarna  stn),  we  have  another  option  of  the  vaitrana  river.  There  are  a  few  tributaries  like  the  surya,  dahreja  and  tansa  that  should  be  comparatively  narrower  and  shallower.  But  I  havent  seen  these  rivers  and  dont  know  how  good  it  will  be  for  fishing.  This  distance  is  100  Kms  from  powai,  and  around  80  kms  from  borivili.  That  means  2.5  hours  journey  atleast.  So  tough  to  do  this  in  half  a  day.

Sameer,
 The  river  that  you  see  from  the  Ghodbunder  road  is  the  Ulhas  river.  But  that  is  when  the  river  has  broadened  considerably,  and  is  polluted  a  bit  too.  IMO  It  is  better  to  go  upriver  (around  Neral/shelu)  to  fish  in  the  Ulhas  river.  But  I  guess,  there  was  a  trip  to  ulhas  river  @  badlapur  just  last  month.

There  are  other  rivers,  as  we  go  south  of  panvel,  as  avdhoot  mentioned.  But  then  would  we  have  enough  time  to  go  further  off  from  panvel  is  the  question.

Are  there  any  other  places  that  we  can  think  off?

I  also  have  pulled  out  the  word-atlas  by  shankar,  from  the  previous  trip  thread.  It  should  help  in  deciding  a  spot:
 -------------

Hmmm,  beginning  with  Powai.   Smile

Enter  the  garden  adjacent  to  the  lake.  The  lake  water  is  made  to  flow  through  the  garden.  Not  sure,  if  this  still  exists.  as  a  major  road  widening  was  supposed  to  take  place  parallel  to  L&T.  The  lake  itself  has  quite  a  few  fish,  but  the  access  is  very  difficult  and  crocs  do  pop  out  once  in  a  while.

Upvan,  Thane.  Again  the  Upvan  lake  is  not  the  easiest  of  places.  Rather  climb  the  diversion  to  the  left,  towards  the  Air  Force  Station.  There  is  a  decent  fishing  spot  right  next  to  the  AFS.  Good  place  to  collect  driftwood.

Shilphata  -  Dombivli  Road.
 a.  Khidkali  should  be  a  wasted  trip.  Tilapia  and  largish  Catfish  mainly.
 b.  River  near  Lodha  Heaven  Complex.  Plenty  of  shallows  all  along  the  huge  water  pipeline.  You  would  mostly  find  A.  lineatus.  Need  to  explore  more.
 c.  Take  the  diversion  towards  Ambarnath  MIDC  road.  There  is  possibly  an  interesting  lake  (unexplored  by  me)  at  the  foot  hills  of  Haji  Malang.
 d.  Keep  driving  straight  until  Badlapur.
 d1.  River  at  Badlapur  West.  Lots  of  nice  wood  shrimps  and  driftwood  to  collect.
 d2.  Proceed  to  Kondeshwar,  without  entering  into  Badlapur.  Couple  of  nice  places.  A  reservoir  and  a  seasonal?  water  falls  right  at  the  end  of  drive  way.
 e.  Lots  of  ponds  at  Manpada  (  'Agri'  locality  )  near  Dombivli  MIDC.  I  didn't  mean  Agriculture.  Dare  to  enter  if  you  have  heard  of  Agri  homes.  Wink
 f.  Dombivli  West  creek.  You'll  find  brackish  fish  including  S.  sadanundio.

Titwala  /  Khadavli

Wont  mention  more  about  the  above  places.  Worth  going  and  exploring.  The  connecting  bridge  to  Khadavli  was  the  place  where  i  had  found  FW  Jellyfish  sp.

There  is  a  dam  /  reservoir  at  Palasdari.  It  falls  on  the  Karjat  to  Khopoli  route  and  is  the  first  station  after  Karjat.  I  could  not  find  easier  places  to  catch  fish  here.

Zenith  falls  at  Khopoli  is  a  good  enough  place  too.  Often  found  drunk  men  all  along  the  falls.  Avoid  weekends  to  avoid  them.

--------
arvindshetty
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:34 am Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

beta  wrote  (View  Post):                

Im  not  sure  I  will  be  dressed  for  the  occasion  but  as  long  as  its  half  day  its  ok  I  guess.  I  might  have  couple  of  LFS/Farm  to  visit  so  that  should  give  me  enough  time.                

IMO  as  Beta  would  be  on  a  tight  schedule  and  indulging  in  a  trip  would  be  time  consuming  event  for  him  .How  about  we  postpone  our  trip  to  some  weeks  later?Because  even  if  its  a  half  day  trip  after  returning  back  from  the  trip  the  remaining  half  day  we  would  be  Sick  .
 And  instead   we  can   travel  across   the  city  visiting  all  major  LFS  as  a  gang  Very Happy     along  with  Beta  ,  visiting  Borivili,Bandra,Crawford  market,Kurla  .
 Also  we  on  list  we  can  include  Shiva's  Hatchery.  These  are  just  my  Bara  aana(2  cents).
Yogesh

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:05 am Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

arvindshetty86  wrote  (View  Post):                

IMO  as  Beta  would  be  on  a  tight  schedule  and  indulging  in  a  trip  would  be  time  consuming  event  for  him  .How  about  we  postpone  our  trip  to  some  weeks  later?Because  even  if  its  a  half  day  trip  after  returning  back  from  the  trip  the  remaining  half  day  we  would  be  Sick  .
 And  instead   we  can   travel  across   the  city  visiting  all  major  LFS  as  a  gang  Very Happy     along  with  Beta  ,  visiting  Borivili,Bandra,Crawford  market,Kurla  .
 Also  we  on  list  we  can  include  Shiva's  Hatchery.  These  are  just  my  Bara  aana(2  cents).                

That  sounds  like  2  Euros  to  me.  Very Happy  
 Anyways,  I'll  go  with  the  flow.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:26 am Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

cant  join  a  trip  this  month...  Sad  I've  got  work  on  sunday...
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:41 pm Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

I  will  be  staying  in  Powai.  My  number  is  <9884028144>.                

Noted  ,  will  be  in  touch  with  you  and  other  guys  on  this  visit  .

Thanks
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:22 pm Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

Sounds  good  to  me  ...  Smile  Lets  see  what  beta  has  to  say.
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:31 pm Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

Alistair  -  Im  game  :)

Hey  Shiva,  looking  forward  to  meet  you  too.
saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:37 pm Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

If  I  were  to  vote,  I'd  have  seconded  that.  Smile
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:55 pm Post subject: Re: Visiting Mumbai Reply with quote

Thats  great!

So  beta,  out  of  the  2  days  (6th  &  7th),  when  will  the  trip  be  convenient?If  we  go  on  7th,  saurabh  can  also  make  it.  But  is  crawford  market  open  on  a  sunday?  I  guess  we  would  need  an  itenary  for  this  LFS  tour,  which  finally  ends  at  Shivas  Discus  haven  (which  I  too  am  looking  forward  to  see  Smile  ).  So  yogesh,  arvind,  clive  ...  please  sugest  an  itenary.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: