199. Guest
200. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,805

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - LFS - Likes / Dislikes / Standards
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

LFS - Likes / Dislikes / Standards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venkateshsriraman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:54 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

My  Expectations:

1.  Clean  tanks
 2.  Quality  fishes
 3.  Proper  guidance  for  beginners.
 4.  good  environment
 5.  Reasonable  price
 6.  Tips  from  their  past  experience

Cheers!
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:11 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Madan  wrote:                
For  your  information  once  a  hobbyist  in  Bangalore  mentions  that  he's  on  IAH  or  ASK  to  the  LFS,  or  he's  seen  with  a  member  of  ASK  at  any  LFS  -  there  is  a  sea  change  in  their  behaviour.  Sadly  this  is  restricted  to  that  particular  hobbyist  alone.

Thats  the  point  I  was  trying  to  make.Once  IAH  begins  to  roll(MORE),it  can  act  as  a  regulatory  watch  dog.Even  though  IAH  cannot(will  not  ,should  not)  directly  take  any  action  on  any  LFS,its  mere  presence  should  make  the  LFS  think  twice  before  putting  topi  on  a  newbie.I  know  severalfriends  of  mine  who  were  put  off  by  LFS  "topis"  and  are  no  longer  hobbyists.It  is  an  unforunate  loss  to  the  hobby.

@aquascapes:
 sir,the  win-win  situation  is  very  obvious-The  guidelines  that  result  from  this  thread  WILL  be  of  much  benefit  to  you  because  you  definitely  stick  to  even  higher  standards.A  newbie  who  has  just  been  educated  from  IAH  guidelines  will  make  a  beeline  to  your  store,and  will  buy  your  fish/equipment/advice  with  conviction!You  have  a  dedicated  client.....the  newbie  has  a  guru,and  years  of  pleasurable  hobby  ahead.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:21 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Sibesh  wrote:                
I  have  seen  it  in  almost  all  the  LFS  in  USA,  they  not  only  put  the  name  and  price,  they  also  show  the  compatibility  chart  for  each  of  them  in  A,B,C..  categories..
 Even  I  can  remember  one  Tank  had  writing  '  We  are  sick,  will  visit  your  home  next  time  !!'
 Sibesh                

this  is  what  I  have  for  my  stocking  tanks    Thumbs Up  

I  would  suggest  any  new  comer  in  the  hobby  to  refer  to  these  guidelines  http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Aquariumpros_Ten_Tips.html  
 and  this  
 http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Aquariumpros_Responsible_Aquarist.html  

this  is  something  already  discussed  in  the  thread  'mad  at  lfs  guys'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nilu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:03 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  agree  totally  with  Sibesh.  I've  seen  the  same  in  the  US,  and  in  many  countries  in  Europe.  Pardon  me,  all,  if  I'm  expressing  very  strong  opinion  here,  but  I  believe  that  traders  (and  not  only  traders)  will  never  conform  to  such  high  standards  voluntarily  --  given  our  national  greed  for  the  quick  buck.  And,  as  far  as  I  can  see  that  good  aquarium  shops  /  pet  shops  etc.  are  so  low  (if  at  all  it  is  there)  in  our  governments'  priority  list,  that  to  expect  any  law  /  enforcement  of  law  in  this  regard  is  ridiculously  childish.  So,  end  result:  a  lot  of  words  spent  within  this  charmed  circle.

Can  we  think  of  some  actionables,  friends?  I  was  thinking  of  one  alternative  (though  it  needs  to  be  really  worked  out  in  great  details  --  which  I  don't  have  at  this  point):
 Is  it  possible  for  some  interested  people  within  the  IAH  to  come  together  and  open  IAH-branded  shops?  It  can  begin  with  only  one  shop  in  one  city,  really  showcasing  what  a  good  LFS  should  be?  If  that  succeeds  then  go  for  chain  shops.  And  in  the  long  run,  if  IAH  succeeds,  it  can  even  certify  independent  shops,  after  monitering  and  inspections,  which  adhere  to  the  IAH  bench-marks.  Is  this  too  Absurd,  AGs?

Nilu.
venkateshsriraman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:00 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Am  writing  this  after  the  experience  i  had  with  the  LFSs  in  Pune.  

Most  of  them  have  corporate  deals  and  focus  only  to  cater  them.  When  hobbyists  like  us  go  to  buy  fishes  or  any  other  accessories,  they  quote  exorbitant  prices.  Some  shops  even  outsource  bauilding  tanks  to  othet  LFS  and  quote  literally  double  the  price  of  the  tank.  When  i  asked  one  of  the  LFS  that  he  charges  twice  the  price  he  simply  said  thats  the  quality  of  tan  that  he  provides  as  he  outsources  the  tanks  to  some  one  and  has  to  pay  him  as  well.

One  more  problem  in  Pune  is  that  no  one  is  ready  to  lower  the  price  and  are  not  even  ready  to  negotiate.  It  is  like  this  "  pay  me  what  i  quote  and  don't  negotiate".  they  simpley  turn  their  face  and  say  pls  go  to  the  other  shop  which  sells  for  a  lesser  price  as  their  target  customers  are  corporates  and  biggies.

I  have  visited  LFS  in  Coimbatore,  Bangalore,  Hyderabad  an  Chennai  and  have  never  come  across  this  sort  of  attitude.

This  makes  one  to  feel  so  irritated.
venkateshsriraman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:00 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

sorry  for  the  double  post!
nash
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:58 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

i  certainly  do  agree  with  venkatesh......pune  is  not  the  place  to  buy  anything  regarding  this  hobby...if  madan  and    the  other  moderators  could  start  the  raing  system  it  could  help  a  lot  of  budding  hobbyist...the  rating  system  needs  to  come  up  fast....could  some  1  get  mr  ans  this  1....he    is  also  an  lfs  guy....  ROFL    ROFL    ROFL    ROFL
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:31 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Have  been  actively  reading  this  topic  from  the  time  this  topic  appeared.  In  Tirupur,  we  have  about  3  LFS  operating  from  commercial  establishments  and  one  residential  LFS  (guy  sells  fish  at  his  home).

Just  yesterday,  I  noticed  one  more  LFS  appearing.  These  guys  are  just  setting  up  shop  and  already  had  a  tank  with  red  parrots  and  some  more  !!  (just  glanced  when  I  was  driving  past).  Will  check  him  out  tomorrow.

But  what  I  have  noticed  in  all  these  places  is  that  tanks  are  not  completely  clean  (most  of  them  have  atleast  a  couple  of  dead  fish),  tiny  blue  morph  cichlids  (about  1  inch)  are  housed  in  the  hundreds  in  a  small  tank,  one  guy  even  has  a  large  arrowana  with  one  droopy  eye.  Bettas  are  kept  in  polybag  covers  that  wouldn't  hold  an  audio  cassette.  

None  of  them  have  tetras  (except  one  guy  who  had  a  single  neon  tetra),  angels  are  rare  (not  good  quality  as  well).  Plecos  are  called  tank  cleaners  !!!

Wish  I  could  run  an  LFS  someday  with  proper  guidance  to  customers!!
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:38 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Most  of  the  shops  have  to  acquire  to  some  type  of  license  to  run  their  shop.
 Is  there  a  Act  which  governs  sale  of  live  animals?
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:21 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

That's  exactly  what  I  wanted  to  know.  Do  these  LFS  have  to  get  a  license    or  certificate  to  sell  their  stuff?  Or  is  it  that  anyone  can  go  on  and  start  shop  when  they  want  to?
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:41 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
 Most  of  the  shops  have  to  acquire  to  some  type  of  license  to  run  their  shop.
 Is  there  a  Act  which  governs  sale  of  live  animals?                

Just  have  to  get  a  'shop  act'  certificate.
 Regarding  sale  of  live  animals,  only  those  animals  are  allowed  to  sell  which  can  and  are:  
 1)  Captive  bred.
 2)  Available  in  abundant  quantities  in  nature.
 Who  decides  on  point  2  I  don't  know.

By  the  way,  been  following  this  thread  from  the  begining,  and  this  is  what  I  have  to  say,
 1)  There  are  more  than  10,000  aquarium  shops  in  major  cities  of  India.  How  many  will  you  change?  Not  even  20%  of  these  know  about  the  basics.  But,  to  support  these  foolish  sellers,  we  have  a  fleet  of  total  newbies  knowing  nothing.  HOW  WILL  YOU  BREAK  THIS  CYCLE?  
 Not  unless  the  overall  state  of  living  of  the  country  improves.

2)  Before  shop  owners  are  going  to  change,  i  beg  to  ask  all  on  this  post,  HOW  MANY  ARE  EVEN  LITERATE??  They  cant  spell,  forget  say  cichlid  or  arowana.  (most  will  say  chiclet!  or  arigana!)

3)  We  do  not  have  a  single  aquarium  product  brand  which  is  the  brainchild  of  India.  From  this,  one  can  get  an  idea  how  primitive  (other  than  efforts  made  by  the  likes  of  IAH)  the  hobby  still  is.

Guys,  its  only  people  like  us  who  are  interested  in  all  the  scientific  dynamics  of  this  hobby.  But  unfortunately,  we  make  up  for  only  about  1  to  2%  of  total  aquarium  keepers.  Rest  all  are  either  not  interested/no  exposure/have  no  time/or  just  let  me  keep  my  shakrs  yaar  type!

SO  the  best  we  can  do  before  trying  to  comment  on  lfs  people,  is  try  to  spread  more  and  more  awareness  among  hobbyist  like  we  are  doing  here  on  IAH.    Thumb Up  Then  maybe  things  maayyy  improve!

Sorry  for  the  negative  attitude,  but  what  can  I  do,  its  just  like  changing  the  political  scenario....will  it  improve??
 Regards,
 amod.
nash
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:27 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

i  certanly  agree  that  we  do  need  to  get  a  forumn  for  grading  of  lfs  in  different  cities....r  the  moderators  lisening...?????????????????  Sad    Sad    Sad    Sad    Sad    Sad    Sad    Sad    Sad    Sad    Sad    Sad
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:41 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Avinash...

I  have  said  this  before  when  this  discussion  has  come  up.

It  is  not  the  Job  of  IAH  and  moderators  to  reform  LFS.

We  are  here  to  help  hobbyists  from  commiting  mistakes.

If  you  have  something  good  to  say  about  someone  say  it  here.

There  is  no  way  we  can  verify  a  hobbyists  claim  that  a  particular  LFS  shafted  him  and  hence  we  will  not  allow  persons  or  establishments  being  named  here.  

It  is  one  persons  word  against  the  other.

As  for  having  a  survey  or  poll  regarding  grading  LFS  it  will  prove  counter  productive.  The  LFS  guy  may  simply  give  himself  5  stars  many  times  or  take  for  example  yourself,  you  are  so  pissed  off  now  you  would  give  the  LFS  guy  multiple  thumbs  down  signs.

LFS  grading  system  on  IAH  will  simply  not  work.

Forget  about  it  ever  coming  up  on  IAH.
venkateshsriraman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:23 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Coming  back  to  the  objective  of  this  thread,

I  Would  like  to  post  one  of  my  experiences  with  an  lfs  guy  in  Coimbatore.  I  was  doing  my  12th  standard  and  it  was  those  days  when  i  got  into  this  hobby  housing  mollies.  I  once  visited  him  when  my  golden  molly  gave  birth  to  some  50  odd  babies  on  how  to  take  care  of  them,  he  quoted  these  lines  which  i'll  never  forget  in  life.  He  said  "Always  ensure  to  give  the  best  environment  for  your  fishes  and  keep  them  happy...if  you  do  so  they  will  thank  and  pray  for  your  well  being!"

These  words  might  sound  funny...But  u  should  notice,  the  lfs  guy  was  not  a  educated  person.  for  him  fishes  meant  a  lot.  he  had  his  heart  for  fishes  and  to  each  n  every  person  who  came  to  buy  fishes,  he  used  to  understand  the  customer's  preference  and  accordingly  used  educate/sell  fishes  to  them.

He  some  how  made  a  huge  impact  on  me  and  till  date  the  words  he  uttered  makes  me  to  give  my  fishes  the  best  of  care!

Hope  we  have  many  lfs  guys  like  him!

Cheers!
insane_saint
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:46 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

amazing  thread........  its  a  good  one  ,  and  i  would  like  to  put  in  some  views  as  well.  We  are  a  group  of  hobbyists  at  our  place  and  noticed  an  LFS  guy  making  people  "bakra"  we  ensured  to  make  this  point  know  to  all  of  the  regular  customers,  we  know  each  other  because  of  the  hobby  ,  now  he  is  almost  out  of  bussiness  (  though  we  didnt  intend  to  do  this....  we  wanted  to  make  the  guy  understand  wht  he  was  doing  thats  all)....  and  we  are  presently  patronising  another  new  LFS  guy  who  seems  to  listen  and  atleast  learn  stuff  from  us  ,  and  this  guy  has  a  pretty  idea  on  fishes  and  their  upbinging  and  a  hobbyist  himself.......

What  i  want  to  mention    here  is  lets  have  a  thread  in  which  all  those  BAD  hobbyists  are  mentioned  or  only  the  real  GOOD  ones  are  mentioned  based  on  the  trips  or  meeting  of  IAH  memebers  for  their  respective  areas,  like  in  HYD  we  are  planning  to  meet  up  and  maybe  helpfull  in  tipping  off  any  newbie  who  has  hard  time  finding  good  LFS.

"  quality  stuff  comes  at  a  quality  rate  "    Thumb Up    we  as  hobbyists  dont  mind  the  rates  unless  we  get  good  quality  fishes.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: