153. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,866

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - MY 120 Gallon
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

MY 120 Gallon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilango_slk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:37 am Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

Hmmmm  some  tangs  are  missing  now!  Sad  I  don't  wanna  even  guess  what  happened  to  them.

Ilango
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:47 am Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

I  am  kinda  suprized  at  the  setup  and  i  may  sound  harsh  but  somehow  i  am  a  lil  disturbed.

In  a  6  month  tank  i  saw  a  lot  of  live  stock  there  ....

You  mentioned  you  dont  have  inverts  ..but  some  of  your  pics  show  inverts  in  there.  

Your  watts  do  not  talk  abt  light  Temp.  i  am  sure  none  of  your  tubes  provide  14000K.

I  tihnk  i  saw  a  carpet  anemone  in  one  of  the  pics  if  i  am  not  mistaken  and  a  butterfly  as  well....  not  sure  how  long  they  would  stay  along.  The  Butterfly  may  start  picking  on  the  carpet  very  soon  and  in  that  could  damage  its  mouth  causing  further  complications  and  secondary  infections  which  will  eventually  lead  to  ...  (  dont  wanna  mention  )

Also  on  your  LR  i  saw  some  black  patches  (  dead  coraline  and  sponges  perhaps  )  which  tell  me  you  havent  cured  your  rocks  enough  or  done  a  pre  cleaning  and  post  maintenance.

Also  the  placement  of  Live  rock  shows  possibility  of  lot  of  dead  spots  and  locations  where  detrius  might  acumulate.

Persoanlly  i  would  say  you  dont  need  a  substrate  and  with  such  a  lot  of  LR  barebottom  is  more  effective  as  it  lets  you   siphon  the  detrius  more  easily.  You  may  want  to  consider  that.

Also  whats  your  circulation.  With  your  setup  i  would  want  to  have  atleast  30X  circulation  coupled  with  a  few  wave  makers.  

Conclusion:  Good  thought  on  the  quantity  of  LR,  Bad  choice  on  removing  the  MH,  Too  Fast,  Better  aquascaping,  overall  -  disapointing  but  since  you  have  the  equipment  with  you  redesigning  should  not  be  very  difficult.

@Ilango

I  am  sure  none  of  us  even  need  to  guess  why  r  they  missing  as  well.  Sad
freakabhishek
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:22 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

i  bought  an  butterfly
 so  i  have  returned  the  anemones
freakabhishek
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:24 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

my  old  setup  was  all  covered  in  hail  algee  
 around  3  inch  long  all  over  the  aquarium
 so  i  thing  the  setup  i  have  right  now  is  much  better
freakabhishek
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:28 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

nash81  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  am  kinda  suprized  at  the  setup  and  i  may  sound  harsh  but  somehow  i  am  a  lil  disturbed.

In  a  6  month  tank  i  saw  a  lot  of  live  stock  there  ....

You  mentioned  you  dont  have  inverts  ..but  some  of  your  pics  show  inverts  in  there.  

Your  watts  do  not  talk  abt  light  Temp.  i  am  sure  none  of  your  tubes  provide  14000K.

I  tihnk  i  saw  a  carpet  anemone  in  one  of  the  pics  if  i  am  not  mistaken  and  a  butterfly  as  well....  not  sure  how  long  they  would  stay  along.  The  Butterfly  may  start  picking  on  the  carpet  very  soon  and  in  that  could  damage  its  mouth  causing  further  complications  and  secondary  infections  which  will  eventually  lead  to  ...  (  dont  wanna  mention  )

Also  on  your  LR  i  saw  some  black  patches  (  dead  coraline  and  sponges  perhaps  )  which  tell  me  you  havent  cured  your  rocks  enough  or  done  a  pre  cleaning  and  post  maintenance.

Also  the  placement  of  Live  rock  shows  possibility  of  lot  of  dead  spots  and  locations  where  detrius  might  acumulate.

Persoanlly  i  would  say  you  dont  need  a  substrate  and  with  such  a  lot  of  LR  barebottom  is  more  effective  as  it  lets  you  Â siphon  the  detrius  more  easily.  You  may  want  to  consider  that.

Also  whats  your  circulation.  With  your  setup  i  would  want  to  have  atleast  30X  circulation  coupled  with  a  few  wave  makers.  

Conclusion:  Good  thought  on  the  quantity  of  LR,  Bad  choice  on  removing  the  MH,  Too  Fast,  Better  aquascaping,  overall  -  disapointing  but  since  you  have  the  equipment  with  you  redesigning  should  not  be  very  difficult.

@Ilango

I  am  sure  none  of  us  even  need  to  guess  why  r  they  missing  as  well.  Sad                

You  have  mistaken  here

The  last  two  pics  i  have  posted  are  old  pics  say  around  6  months  old

and  also  both  of  different  time

llike  the  first  pick  in  which  u  see  2  anemune  there  was  no  butterfly

but  in  the  last  pic  there  are  no  anemone  but  a  butterfly

and  the  black  spot  u  see  in  the  last  two  pics  are  hair  algee  because  i  never  had  any  live  locks  back  then
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:06 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

I  guess  u  should  label  your  pics  !!  ...  just  kidding

On  second  thoughts  where  did  those  anemones  go  ?

In  6  months  i  think  u  have  moved  a  lot  of  live  stock  around  ...  removed  MH,  moved  to  new  lighting,  removed  anemones  ,  added  new  fish.  The  tang  is  missing  ...  all  this  does  effect  the  longterm  stableness  of  a  tank.

A  Marine  tank  should  typically  be  allowed  to  mature  on  their  own  in  a  slow  and  steady  fashion.  Which  is  why  every  marine  aquarist  would  recomend  that  you  study  what  you  buy  and  study  further...  then  wait  n  watch  and  then  add  it  to  your  tank  and  again  wait  n  watch  and  watch  and  watch.  Then  add  some  more  and  when  u  reach  your  point  ....its  no  more  additions  !!  ..  Then  u  let  your  tank  rest  and  sit  back  grab  a  few  beers  and  enjoy  watching  your  tank.  

Its  slow  n  steady  that  always  wins  the  race.

Good  thought  on  returning  the  anemones  if  you  did  not  want  the  MH  cause  typically  they  do  need  MH  or  high  Kelvin  lighting.

Butterflies  have  specific  food  requirements  and  i  hope  you  do  see  it  grazing  on  your  LR.  Else  you  should  consider  trying  a  lot  of  food  options  and  DIY  recepies  if  it  still  dosent  accept  any  of  those  its  best  to  return  it.  Most  buttefly  fish  have  met  their  doom  cause  of  an  aquarist  desire  and  thought  that  they  can  keep  it.

I  am  not  trying  to  demotivate  you  none  the  less  i  am  sure  everyone  in  this  hobby  have  learnt  a  lesson  or  2  with  their  own  experiences.

Sorry  for  sounding  so  harsh  on  the  last  post  ...  incase  you  need  my  help  i  am  based  in  delhi  as  well  feel  free  to  call  me  9891881821.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:38 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

Quote:                
Butterflies  have  specific  food  requirements  and  i  hope  you  do  see  it  grazing  on  your  LR.  Else  you  should  consider  trying  a  lot  of  food  options  and  DIY  recepies  if  it  still  dosent  accept  any  of  those  its  best  to  return  it.  Most  buttefly  fish  have  met  their  doom  cause  of  an  aquarist  desire  and  thought  that  they  can  keep  it.                
I  think  now  days  butterfly  foods  are  available  in  LFS.

Chennai  folks  will  be  the  best  persons  to  put  more  lights  on  this.
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:51 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

Quote:                
I  think  now  days  butterfly  foods  are  available  in  LFS.  

Chennai  folks  will  be  the  best  persons  to  put  more  lights  on  this.                

There  are  a  lot  of  food  which  say  that  a  butterfly  will  eat  ...but  will  they  actually  eat  it.  They  are  picky  eaters  and  i  dont  believe  that  anyone  has  yet  been  able  to  predict  what  a  butterfly  would  eat  or  not.

I  have  had  a  lemon  butterfly  which  came  to  my  as  a  juvenile  and  it  started  excepting  flake  flood  and  frozen  shirmps.

My  friends  have  lemon  too  but  they  would  not  eat  that  ..and  would  only  graze  on  their  live  rock.

I  am  wondering  can  any  chennai  folks  or  as  a  fact  can  anyone  can  tell  for  sure  that  a  butterfly  would  accept  a  particular  kind  of  food.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:57 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

Quote:                
anyone  can  tell  for  sure  that  a  butterfly  would  accept  a  particular  kind  of  food.                
If  any  perticular  food  is  concern,  Hatched  Brine  Shrimp  is  the  answer.  Very Happy
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:08 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

Quote:                
Hatched  Brine  Shrimp                

Not  all  Butterfly  except  hatched  brine  shrimp.  

Especially  the  Big  Longnoose.  They  vary  in  their  habbits  on  each  specimen.  

I  have  been  feeding  brine  for  donkeys  years  with  no  issues.  My  friends  lemon  wouldnt  touch  it.  They  would  only  eat  worms  and  other  things  off  the  LR.  No  LFS  foods,  no  prepared  food,  no  hatched  shrimp.
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:10 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

They  do  also  eat  the  Aiptasia  that  grow  on  the  LR  and  are  excellent  choices  to  remove  those  pests.
freakabhishek
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:32 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

My  butterfly  was  eating  all  kinda  food
 and  heres  the  answer  to  your  questions  where  did  the  tang  and  all  the  other  fishes  have  gone

one  day  there  was  a  load  shedding  in  our  area  for  more  then  12  hours
 that  night  all  my  fishes  died  except  the  yellow  tang  and  maroon  clown
 the  rest  died  due  to  lack  of  oxygen  Unfortunately

but  now  after  the  loss  i  am  only  adding  fishes  that  i  really  want  in  my  aquarium

so  intotal  i  have  5  fishes  at  the  moment
 1  yellow  tang
 1  blue  tabg
 1  sailfin  tang
 1  maroon  clown
 1  neon  goby

and  in  future  i  also  want  to  add  2  blue  damsel  

and  i  do  have  mh  with  me
 so  i  can  get  hands  on  some  corels  i  can  always  ghange  my  lights  to  mh
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

lack  of  oxygen  in  12hours  in  a  120G  ...is  kinda  supprizing.

How  many  power  heads  do  you  have   and  wuts  your  circulation  rate.

load  shedding  for  12hours  is  supprizing  i  live  in  delhi  too  and  never  had  one  for  so  long  to  my  knowledge.

did  u  check  your  water  parameters  after  they  died  and  ascertain  nothing  else  could  have  caused  this.

if  you  have  the  mh  ...brind  it  on  again  ...run  it  for  shorter  durations  if  heat  is  as  an  issue...  but  your  LR  will  show  better  results.

BTW  where  do  u  get  your  marine  supplies  from  in  delhi,  in  terms  of  fish  etc  ...  i  am  looking  for  a  blue  powder  tang  and  yellow  tang.
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:13 pm Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

Having  two  Zebrasomas  (  Sailfin  and  Yellow  Tangs  )  is  not  often  recommended.  Wouldn't  have  bothered  if  the  Sailfin  was  smaller  than  the  Yellow  tang.

Kindly  post  the  pic  of  your  Neon  Goby.  Keen  to  see  that  rare  one.
freakabhishek
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:56 am Post subject: Re: MY 120 Gallon Reply with quote

nash81  wrote  (View  Post):                
lack  of  oxygen  in  12hours  in  a  120G  ...is  kinda  supprizing.

How  many  power  heads  do  you  have  Â and  wuts  your  circulation  rate.

load  shedding  for  12hours  is  supprizing  i  live  in  delhi  too  and  never  had  one  for  so  long  to  my  knowledge.

did  u  check  your  water  parameters  after  they  died  and  ascertain  nothing  else  could  have  caused  this.

if  you  have  the  mh  ...brind  it  on  again  ...run  it  for  shorter  durations  if  heat  is  as  an  issue...  but  your  LR  will  show  better  results.

BTW  where  do  u  get  your  marine  supplies  from  in  delhi,  in  terms  of  fish  etc  ...  i  am  looking  for  a  blue  powder  tang  and  yellow  tang.                

just  a  few  days  ago  the  load  shedding  was  in  rohini
 and  yes  i  did  checked  my  parameters
 everything  else  was  right

and  i  get  my  fishes  from  sarojni  nagar
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: