167. Guest
168. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,884

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 17th October)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 17th October)
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:29 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 12th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

Hi  Shridar,

I  love  the  way  you  are  going  with  your  beautiiful  fish  and  the  new  tank  is  looking  nice.

Since  you  asked   Smile   I  would  suggest  to  only  plant,  Anubias  and  Ferns,  these  both  are  happy  in  low  light  and  will  not  hinder  with  gravel  Vaccuming  after  feeding  the  fish...

You  can  also  add  a  lot  of  floating  plants,  I  used  a  lot  of  Duck  Weed  initially,  and  it  did  give  a  very  nice  effect....
 (those  are  supposed  to  be  suckers  of  Nitrates/Nitrates  or  Ammonia  I  forgot,  which  ones  but  they  are  good  for  the  tank,  I  am  sure  some  Plant  experts  would  correct  me..)

Would  love  to  see  your  tanks  update..

Cheers,

Thumb Up
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:37 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 12th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

Nanu,

Reason  i  do  not  want  anubias  and  ferns  is  that  i  want  plants  that  will  be  found  in  South  America  or  close  to  discus  habitat.  Though  i  have  read  in  many  places  that  plants  are  hardly  found  in  the  wild  discus  habitat,  but  i  have  gone  ahead  and  planted  a  few  echinodorus  and  valls  just  to  give  a  look  to  the  tank.  

This  is  almost  my  final  layout  for  the  tank.  The  lighting  is  by  two  24  w  HO  tubes.  Will  be  adding  some  floating  plants  also.  I  will  be  adding  one  more  ehiem  2217  soon.  Currently  i  have  added  one  bristlenose  in  the  tank.  Will  add  a  few  more  soon.  After  the  temperature  of  the  tank  has  been  bought  to  30  degrees,  i  will  be  adding  the  Heckels  into  the  tank.   

Probably  i  will  add  some  more  of  them  later  to  make  the  total  number  of  fishes  to  12.  Currently  i  have  only  7  heckels  with  me.

Regards,

Sridhar.P
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:52 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 12th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

Here  are  some  of  the  latest  photos  of  the  Heckels.  They  are  starting  to  colour  up  nicely.  

With  Flash

Without  Flash

Regards,

Sridhar.P
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:59 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

yes  for  sure  Sridhar  they  are  starting  to  show  color,  and  are  looking  much  nicer  than  before...
 When  you  thinking  of  moving  them  to  the  newer  tank..?
 Cheers..
 PS.  you  also  have  a  PM..
justshan21
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

wow  sridhar  they  are  looking  good  and  the  colour  is  getting  better  keep  us  updated
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:29 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

Wow!  thats  a  magnificent  piece  of  bogwood,  perfect  for  blackwater  biotope.  I  think  darker  and  irregular  shaped  cobbles  will  look  better  then  those  orange  stones.  Cabomba  and  star  grass  are  also  found  in  this  biotope.  Just  a  suggestion  -  Instead  of  adding  more  discus  why  not  including  altums,  cardinals,  rummynoses  and  a  few  dwarf  cichlids  into  the  list,  because  they  come  from  same  biotope.  Whats  the  size  of  this  tank?
discusboy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:02 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

BEAUTIFUL.......

Simply  superb....

AWEsome....

Lovely  specimens.

And  a  very  nice  setup...Magnificient..

Now  this  has  actually  tempted  me  to  get  some  wilds..
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:53 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

I  was  not  quite  happy  with  the  new  setup  for  my  Heckels  so  decided  to  set  up  the  tank  again.  Here  are  some  of  the  pictures  of  the  new  setup.  Please  let  me  know  your  suggestions  ..

Left  Side  

Right  Side

Regards,

Sridhar.P
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:05 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

Looks  good,  Sridhar.

I  might  just  go  in  for  slightly  darker  stones,  like  the  larger  ones  on  the  wood.
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:09 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

Suraj,  

The  ones  on  the  wood  are  temporary  ones  till  the  wood  sinks  completely.  After  that  they  will  be  removed.

Regards,

Sridhar.P
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:12 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

I  understand  that,  Sridhar.  It  would  be  nice  if  you  could  find  some  similar  coloured  ones  to  put  into  your  tank  and  replace  the  light  ones.
Bala_Kavi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:36 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

Hi  Sridhar,

Excellent  collection  of  driftwood.  Eagerly  waiting  to  see  the  completed  set-up  along  with  the  fishes

Regards
 Bala
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:28 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

IMO  a  black  background  will  make  it  a  lot  better,  and  make  your  fishes  settle  faster.

JMHO!
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:24 pm Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

Hi  Sridhar
 This  is  what  I  would  do  with  your  tank-
 Place  all  the  wood  on  the  sides  of  the  tank  tying  to  make  it  seem  as  if  it  is  a  tree's  root  system  and  leave  the  centre  open  for  the  discus  to  graze.  The  way  you  have  placed  them  right  now,  there  are  too  many  ends  of  the  sticks  jutting  out.  Imagine,  if  the  fish  get  spooked  (which  always  bound  to  occur)  they  will  surely  damage  themselves.   I  really  like  your  wood.  You  can  make  a  very  nice  looking  root  system.  Add  a  lot  of  wood  tying  ferns  and  anubias  to  the  wood  to  make  it  look  nice  and  green.  
 .....and  Best  of  all  ask  the  bangalore  Guru's  to  help  you  out...
 :-)
 Ps.  How  are  the  Fish  doing..?
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:45 am Post subject: Re: Wild Caught Discus ( updated on 25th Feb with new photos Reply with quote

Nanu,

The  fishes  are  all  doing  great.  Actually  even  i  had  the  same  idea  to  stimulate  a  tree's  root  system.  The  tank  has  a  depth  of  two  feet  and  all  the  driftwood  are  placed  on  the  back  leaving  the  front  tank  free  for  the  discus  to  swim  around.  Except  for  the  left  hand  side  of  the  tank  where  the  drift  wood  are  placed  little  in  the  front  as  well.  Only  one  branch  of  the  drift  wood  is  protruding  out  in  to  the  swimming  area  and  i  have  ensured  that  it  does  not  have  any  sharp  edges.  I  will  post  the  side  shot  of  the  tank  so  that  you  will  get  a  better  idea  of  what  i  am  taking.  

Nytn,

I  did  not  go  for  the  background  because  the  back  side  of  the  tank  is  a  wall  and  there  will  be  no  disturbance  at  all.  I  agree  if  there  was  a  background  it  would  have  been  much  better.  Also  the  fact  that  moving  the  tank  forward  to  stick  them  also  made  me  back  out  of  the  plan  to  stick  the  background.  I  have  planted  some  Echinodorus  and  once  they  grow  tall  i  think  it  would  look  better.  I  have  added  some  root  capsules  to  speed  up  their  growth.  

Regards,

Sridhar
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: