54. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,795

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - driftwood
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

driftwood

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elvisjj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:46 pm Post subject: driftwood Reply with quote

Hi,
       I  am  little  bit  confused  with  driftwood.  We  should  use  only  the  branches  or  roots  of  some  trees  which  are  drifted  through  the  sea  water  in  our  aquarium  or  we  can  use  branches  or  roots  of  some  Indian  trees  like  banyan,  neem,  tamarind,  eucalyptus  etc...  in  our  aquarium  by  pre-treating.

Thanks,
 Elvis.

very  very  Sorry  for  posting  in  the  wrong  topic.  Seniors  please  excuse  me  Crying or Very sad  

regards,
 Elvis
sgravi2k
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:18 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Hi  Elvis,

I  do  not  have  answer  for  this,  but  being  there  at  Tirunelveli  you  should  be  able  to  pickup  lots  of  drift  wood  near  Kutralam  and  five  falls.  I've  seen  so  many  rivers  branching  near  that  area.  Go  hunt  for  those  wood  pieces  and  then  you  can  post  those  pictures  here  to  get  opinion  from  gurus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elvisjj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:34 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Thank  you  Ravi  sir,  

I  am  near  Kanyakumari  district  from  my  place  Kanyakumari  is  about  30  kms  ahead.  So  yesterday  I  went  through  the  shores  of  Kanyakumari  and  many  nearby  places  for  the  hunt  of  driftwood  but  no  use  I  can't  see  even  an  single  piece.  So  that  only  I  came  here  for  suggestions.

Ravi  sir,  really  I  did  not  think  about  Kutralam,  it  is  also  one  of  the  nearest  place  to  me  it  is  about  75  kms  ahead.  Surely  I  will  go  for  there  and  look  for  some  driftwood  and  post  the  pics  here.  Thanks  for  that  idea.

But  please  give  some  opinion  of  using  some  Indian  trees  for  using  as  an  alternative  to  driftwood.

Thanks.
 Elvis.
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:13 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Elvis,  I  guess  driftwood  around  sea  shores  may  not  be  suitable  for  fresh  water  aquariums.

BTW,  Nagercoil  should  have  quite  a  few  places  for  driftwood  collection.
elvisjj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:34 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Shankar  sir,  could  you  say  some  places  in  and  around  Nagercoil  for  driftwood  collection.

Thanks,
 Elvis.
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:40 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Not  aware  of  the  places  in  particular,  but  heard  of  a  few  fish  collectors  doing  trips  there  decades  ago.  Rarely  explored  places  are  always  very  promising..

Don't  add  sir  to  my  name.   Smile
sgravi2k
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:58 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Hi  Elvis,  am  not  a  old  man  or  well  aqua-educated  to  call  sir.  Am  27  year  old  kid   ROFL  

Kutralam  is  for  sure  a  good  source.  But  having  75  km  to  drive,  I  think  you  can  make  it  when  you  have  a  good  reason  to  go  there.  You  need  to  have  some  time  to  spend  searching.  Collect  as  much  as  land  marks.  KTM  wildlife  sanctuary  has  more  and  more  water  falls/small  rivers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elvisjj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:14 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Both  Ravi  &  Shankar,  really  I  thank  you  a  lot  for  giving  some  idea  for  collecting  driftwood.  But  even  I  am  nearby  that  place  I  have  no  idea  about  it.  Surely  I  will  go  to  the  places  and  give  a  try.

I  am  sorry  once  again  but  please  give  some  opinion  or  suggestion  of  using  some  Indian  trees  for  using  as  an  alternative  to  driftwood.

Thanks,
 Elvis.
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:41 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Elvis,  any  wood  (hard  –  moderate  hardness)  will  do  -  I've  successfully  used  Burma  Teak,  Apple  &  Guava  tree  twigs.  I've  only  tried  twigs;  you  can  try  roots  too  &  explore  other  wood  types.  Please  note  that  curing  may  take  a  very  long  time.

I've  even  used  Coffee  stumps,  but  they  disintegrate  over  time.  However,  you  can  scrub  the  loose  wood  &  re-use.  Some  species  of  Pleco’s  may  like  this  type  of  wood  –  they  eat  the  soft  portions.

With  very  hard  wood  the  plant  roots  don't  get  good  hold.  With  very  soft  wood  though  the  roots  get  very  good  hold,  the  plant  looses  grip  when  the  upper  wood  layer  starts  to  crumble  –  the  coffee  stump  I’  earlier  mentioned.  Take  note  that  softer  woods  will  have  higher  buoyancy.

BTW,  Very  hard  wood  is  good  for  Chiclid  setups  or  one  w/o  plants  on  it.

I  have  few  pieces  collected  from  the  Konkan  coast  &  they  work  just  fine.  They  are  lodged  with  fine  sand  -  this  needs  to  be  cleaned  thoroughly  before  use.  

Wood  from  trees  such  as  Neem,  Eucalyptus,  etc.  will  not  be  my  preference  for  they  have  high  oil  content.  As  for  Banyan  -  it  will  rot.  Tamarind,  Sal,  Honne,  Pine  will  leech  lot  &  forms  mucus.  You  are  free  to  explore.  Thumb Up  
swapnils
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:01 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

What  about  Mango  tree  Deepak?
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

swapnils  wrote  (View  Post):                
What  about  Mango  tree  Deepak?                

Swapnil,  I  have  no  clue  on  the  properties  of  the  wood  -  so  can't  comment.

You  can  try  wine  yard  stuff,  should  be  good.  

One  more  thing  to  remember  -  before  you  start  curing  the  wood  make  sure  it's  completely  dry  on  the  inside.  Don't  try  curing  a  fresh  piece  Chuckle   
sudFish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:52 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

avoid  all  coniferous  trees  like  pine,  they  will  eternally  leech  sap.
elvisjj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:18 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Thank  you  all  of  you  for  helping  me.  I  will  try  all  of  your  suggestions  and  post  the  pics  of  the  result.

regards,
 Elvis.
shubhi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:32 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

How  about  grape  wood???
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:53 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

shubhi  wrote  (View  Post):                
How  about  grape  wood???                

What  is  grape  wood???
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: