122. Guest
123. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,460

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:21 pm Post subject: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

Dear  Members
 My  friend  Dr  Khetawat  (dermetologist)  has  managed  2  dozen  Garra  rufa(Redish  log  succer)  to  treat  eczema  and  psoriasis.  I  heard  from  him  that  it  completely  remove  the  flaky  dried  upper  skin(dead  epidermis),  it  also  simultanneously  coats  'dathranol'presents  its  saliva.
 Now  the  problem  is  G  rufa  is  extreamly  costly  around  $  9  per  fish  that's  why   I  ask  you  the  same  objective  can  be  acheived  by  using  Cyprinion  macrostomas(Kangal  fish)  ?  I've  some  doubt  regarding  their  teeth(nibble)  which  are  absent  in  G  rufa(succer  only).
 Experts  please  clarify?
 Regards
 Kaushik

Last edited by Kaushik on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:50 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

i  have  the  native  Garra  sp(found  in  Karnataka).  quite  daring  and  active  fish  I'll  say.  as  soon  as  i  enter  my  hands  in  water  to  clean  or  take  some  debris  out  this  fish  irritatingly  clings  on  to  my  hand  and  gives  a  very  ticklish  feel.  

i  don't  think  we  can  use  it  for  same  purpose  as  the  Garra  sp  you  are  referring  to  (the  Turkish  Garra).  but  again  i  guess  this  clinging  habit  runs  in  their  genes  ROFL
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:18 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

Thanks  Mujawad  for  your  reply.  Indeed   the  G  rufa  is  Turkish  origin  and  doing  a  stunning  job  in  Doctors  clinic.  Some  patients  are  completely  cured  after  2  -3  sessions.  Im  trying  to  get  a  snap  from  Doctor  Saab.
 Regards
 kaushik
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:27 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

Hi  Kaushik

For  eczema  and  psoriasis  treatment  its  only  the  garra  rufa  that  will  work  no  other  fish  or  any  other  Garra  can  achive  the  results.  I  would  not  advice  even  triyng  any  other  fish.
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:11 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

Here  the  pics  from  Dr  Khetawat  clinics.  Perhaps  you  will  find  it  amusing  .  Dr,  is  charging  100  per  session.The  G  rufa  has  been  conditioning  for  one  month  and  after  then  they  back  in  action.
 But  my  question  is  remain  unanswered  -  Can  it  be  done  with  Cyprinion  macrostomas  (Kangal  Fish)?
 ~  Kaushik~
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

Kaushik  that  is  for  a  doctor  to  try,  not  us.
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:29 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

I  agreed  with  you  madan  but  my  friend  asking  me  as  he  trust  me  and  moreover  I  was  the  man  to  suggest  him  this  method  5  months  before.  He  believe  that  the  cyprinids  species  will  be  more  cost  effective  and  will  deliver  the  same  results.  Where  as  I  know  that  the  cyprinids  must  have  small  teeths  will  nible  the  skins.  That's  why  I'm  asking  to  the  seasoned  aquarist  like  you  ,  Beta  ,  Trevor,  Rahul,  Suraj  to  share  your  knowledge  regarding  the  same.  May  be  your  experience  help  a  doctor  and  his  patients  a  little  bit.
 ~  Kaushik~
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:05 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

We  are  all  aquarists  not  Doctors,  Kaushik.

None  of  us  have  ever  kept  fish  to  treat  patients.  

In  fact  people  think  we  need  treatment  for  keeping  fish  !  ROFL  

I  can  Google,  so  can  you.  Google  offers  no  help  ?  No  help  here  either!
random2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:19 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

Though  not  entirely  related,  this  is  what  I  personally  experienced  when  I  was  a  kid.

A  scooter  ran  over  most  of  my  fingers  of  my  right  foot.  But  fortunately  didnt  have  any  fracture.  The  skin  started  peeling  off  and  had  major  infection.  Most  of  it  healed  except  one  finger  and  for  months  it  was  like  that.  We  went  to  Sringeri  on  a  visit  and  I  had  put  my  legs  in  water  there.  Whoever  has  been  there  will  know  the  famous  fishes  of  Sringeri  (behind  the  temple).  All  those  small  and  bigge  guys  were  all  over  my  leg.  Not  sure  if  it  was  the  reason  or  just  co-incidence,  the  wound  healed  within  days.  I  for  one  still  believe  that  it  was  the  fishes.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:32 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

Ask  them  to  contact  Dr.  Madhu  (Ichtyopathy).   Rs.500/-  for  an  hour   Very Happy  
 Charges  might  vary  with  species.   If  they  don't  pay  me,  i  will  replace  cyprinids  with  large  cichlids  and  snakeheads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
random2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

ROFL   ROFL   ROFL   ROFL
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:56 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

There  are  quite  a  few  Indian  Garra  and  Labeo  sp.  that  would  oblige  but  using  them  for  medical  purposes  might  border  on  quackery  if  proper  research  is  not  done.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:48 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

madhu_ulysses  wrote  (View  Post):                
If  they  don't  pay  me,  i  will  replace  cyprinids  with  large  cichlids  and  snakeheads.                

No  Electric  eel  ?
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:57 pm Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                

No  Electric  eel  ?                

I  don't  intend  to  become  a  serial  killer   Chuckle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vijai
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:34 am Post subject: Re: Garra rufa and Cyprinion macrostomas as Doctor fish ? Reply with quote

No  offense  meant  to  anyone  here.

I  too  share  the  same  concern  as  Beta  here.  Let's  first  give  high  priority  to  allopathy,  homeopathy  and  if  things  dont  work  here,  lets  fallback  to  naturopathy  for  mother  nature  to  take  care  and  cure.

Let's  not  give  the  quacks  a  chance  to  experiment  and  pound  on  us,  when  we  have  so  much  advancements  in  medical  science  around  us.

@Mods/Admins

When  I  substitute  this  phrase  as  in  <<No>  in  angled  brackets,  I  whole  thing  gets  replaces  by  a  <No>  hmm...what  script  is  running  here??????
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: