189. Guest
190. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,716

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Help Regarding Substrate (river sand)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Help Regarding Substrate (river sand)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fAde
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:11 am Post subject: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

This  is  the  Tank  size  (for  oscars):
 Length  :  4  feet  (48  inches)
 Width  :  2  feet  (24  inches)
 Height  :  2  feet  (24  inches)
 approx  -  120  US  Gallons  Or  450  Litres  

The  substrate  is  river  sand  (as  advised  by  you  guys),  
 my  queries  are  :
 how  many  kgs  of  river  sand  do  I  need?
 and  Is  there  any  particular  type  of  river  sand  to  look  for?  quality  difference  or  something  like  that?

Thanks.
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:42 am Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

Hi  Fade,

I  am  not  sure  if  the  nomenclature  used  for  the  various  types  of  sand  is  standard  across  the  country.

In  Bombay,  the  sand  sold  as  "river  sand"  is  used  for  the  lowest  layer  of  a  planted  aquarium.  It  is  very  fine  and  not  very  good  looking.

The  type  of  sand  used  for  cosmetic  purposes  (in  non-planted  aquariums  or  as  top  layer  in  planted  aquariums)  is  called  "Golden  Sand"  (in  Bombay).  

Golden  Sand  is  not  actually  sand,  but  a  product  of  crushing  larger  stones  and  pebbles  and  a  few  shells.  Another  type  is  White  Sand  which  might  be  a  product  of  dead  corral.

As  you  need  this  sand  purely  for  cosmetic  purposes,  I  would  recommend  a  very  thin  layer  (just  enough  to  cover  the  glass).  I  think  you  can  get  about  8-10  kg  and  then  get  more  if  needed.  (Golden  Sand  costs  about  20  bucks  a  kg  in  Bombay.)

Wash  the  sand  thoroughly  in  water  and  discard  the  water.  Keep  doing  it  till  the  water  is  clear.  (It's  like  washing  rice.)  

Cheers,
 Sid
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:01 pm Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

fAde  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Guys,

This  is  the  Tank  size  (for  oscars):
 Length  :  4  feet  (48  inches)
 Width  :  2  feet  (24  inches)
 Height  :  2  feet  (24  inches)
 approx  -  120  US  Gallons  Or  450  Litres  

The  substrate  is  river  sand  (as  advised  by  you  guys),  
 my  queries  are  :
 how  many  kgs  of  river  sand  do  I  need?
 and  Is  there  any  particular  type  of  river  sand  to  look  for?  quality  difference  or  something  like  that?

Thanks.                

The  best  option  is  to  buy  consutruction  sand,  you  should  not  require  more  than  20  kgs  as  you  will  just  need  the  substrate  to  cover  the  glass  as  metioned  by  Sid.

Dont  buy  golden  sand.  Its  reflection  will  make  your  tank  look  yellow  and  your  pictures  will  also  look  yellow.
fAde
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:18 pm Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

Sidrock  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Fade,

I  am  not  sure  if  the  nomenclature  used  for  the  various  types  of  sand  is  standard  across  the  country.

In  Bombay,  the  sand  sold  as  "river  sand"  is  used  for  the  lowest  layer  of  a  planted  aquarium.  It  is  very  fine  and  not  very  good  looking.

The  type  of  sand  used  for  cosmetic  purposes  (in  non-planted  aquariums  or  as  top  layer  in  planted  aquariums)  is  called  "Golden  Sand"  (in  Bombay).  

Golden  Sand  is  not  actually  sand,  but  a  product  of  crushing  larger  stones  and  pebbles  and  a  few  shells.  Another  type  is  White  Sand  which  might  be  a  product  of  dead  corral.

As  you  need  this  sand  purely  for  cosmetic  purposes,  I  would  recommend  a  very  thin  layer  (just  enough  to  cover  the  glass).  I  think  you  can  get  about  8-10  kg  and  then  get  more  if  needed.  (Golden  Sand  costs  about  20  bucks  a  kg  in  Bombay.)

Wash  the  sand  thoroughly  in  water  and  discard  the  water.  Keep  doing  it  till  the  water  is  clear.  (It's  like  washing  rice.)  

Cheers,
 Sid                

Thanks  Sid.
 Actually  one  of  the  shop  keeper  referred  this  name  "Golden  Sand",  so  guess  its  called  same  way  here  too..
fAde
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 pm Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

Prem  kk  wrote  (View  Post):                

The  best  option  is  to  buy  consutruction  sand,  you  should  not  require  more  than  20  kgs  as  you  will  just  need  the  substrate  to  cover  the  glass  as  metioned  by  Sid.

Dont  buy  golden  sand.  Its  reflection  will  make  your  tank  look  yellow  and  your  pictures  will  also  look  yellow.                

Thanks  Prem.  
 Point  taken  on  Golden  Sand.
 So,  by  construction  sand,  you  literally  mean  "construction"  sand?  Can  I  use  this  same  term  and  get  it  in  Kolathur?
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:27 pm Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

Thanks  Prem.  
 Point  taken  on  Golden  Sand.
 So,  by  construction  sand,  you  literally  mean  "construction"  sand?  Can  I  use  this  same  term  and  get  it  in  Kolathur?                

I  doubt  you  will  get  it  in  Kolathur.  Look  for  some  construction  site  near  where  ever  you  are  or  the  place  they  sell  them.  Google  should  help  or  Just  dial.

Once  you  get  them  you  can  remove  the  big  particles  by  using  a  fish  net  as  a  strainer  and  use  the  fine  sand.
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:31 pm Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

The  picture  below  has  two  bags.  You  will  just  need  one  a  quarter  of  this  bag.  These  were  used  in  my  6  foot  tank  that  you  can  see  in  my  signature.

I  picked  up  this  sand  from  Thiruvallur  as  I  needed  real  fine  sand.

fAde
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:31 pm Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

I  doubt  you  will  get  it  in  Kolathur.  Look  for  some  construction  site  near  where  ever  you  are  or  the  place  they  sell  them.  Google  should  help  or  Just  dial.

Once  you  get  them  you  can  remove  the  big  particles  by  using  a  fish  net  as  a  strainer  and  use  the  fine  sand.                

Thanks.  I  will  do  that.
 So  I  can  just  remove  the  big  particles,  rinse  it  well  and  use  it..
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

Yes!  Once  you  do  that,  the  result  you  should  get  will  be  something  as  shown  in  the  picture  below.  Nice  and  fine  sand.

natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:56 pm Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

@Prem:
 getting  better  with  your  photographing  skills  all  the  time...  guess  hayath's  magic  is  rubbing  off..

between  where  in  tiruvallur?  i  guess  there  is  dry  lake/river  bed  ..  went  there  as  a  kid.  not  much  memories.
fAde
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:46 pm Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

Yes!  Once  you  do  that,  the  result  you  should  get  will  be  something  as  shown  in  the  picture  below.  Nice  and  fine  sand.

Thanks  a  lot  Prem!  :-)
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 pm Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

Hi  Prem,

I  was  under  the  impression  that  fine  sand  will  be  a  bit  more  difficult  to  clean  and  might  get  sucked  into  the  filtration  if  the  Cichlids  play  around  in  it.

Will  it  be  better  to  go  for  construction  sand  with  slightly  larger  particles?

Also,  if  cichlids  show  better  color  with  darker  substrate,  what  do  you  think  about  black  substrate  (pebbles)?

For  example,  here's  a  pic  from  Kush's  (Chinkz)  African  tank:  

(orig  thread:  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17720)

Cheers,
 Sid

(PS:  Based  on  your  advice,  I  might  go  for  the  black  substrate  too  for  my  cichlid  tanks.)
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:05 am Post subject: Re: Help Regarding Substrate (river sand) Reply with quote

Sidrock  wrote  (View  Post):                

Hi  Prem,

I  was  under  the  impression  that  fine  sand  will  be  a  bit  more  difficult  to  clean  and  might  get  sucked  into  the  filtration  if  the  Cichlids  play  around  in  it.

Will  it  be  better  to  go  for  construction  sand  with  slightly  larger  particles?

Also,  if  cichlids  show  better  color  with  darker  substrate,  what  do  you  think  about  black  substrate  (pebbles)?

For  example,  here's  a  pic  from  Kush's  (Chinkz)  African  tank:  

(orig  thread:  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17720)

Cheers,
 Sid

(PS:  Based  on  your  advice,  I  might  go  for  the  black  substrate  too  for  my  cichlid  tanks.)                

There  have  been  lot  of  debates  about  using  fine  sand  in  many  forums.  I  have  used  both.  The  granular  ones  and  the  sand  and  I  personaly  prefer  the  fine  sand  as  they  are  easier  to  clear  compared  to  popular  belief  that  they  are  tough  to  clean.

The  fine  sand  does  not  allow  the  muck  to  get  in  and  settle  whereas  the  granulated  one  allows  the  muck  to  get  in  deep  and  cause  water  quality  issues.

I  have  fine  sand  in  4  of  my  tanks  and  its  more  natural  and  also  easy  to  maintain.  Just  ensure  that  you  dont  use  too  much  fine  sand,  just  a  small  layer  should  do.

Black  substrates  actually  make  the  fish  look  more  darker.  I  dont  prefer  black  substrate.  Some  of  the  best  fronts  tank  that  I  have  seen  have  used  the  same  fine  sand  and  they  looked  stunning.

In  order  to  avoid  the  sand  from  entering  the  filter  I  reverse  the  suction  pipe  so  that  the  pipe  is  not  kept  near  the  sand  base  but  few  inches  from  the  surface  of  water.  This  ensures  the  filter  does  not  suck  in  the  sand.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: