96. Guest
97. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Betta Bitten and other Labyrinths
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliveridley
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:31 pm Post subject: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

Hey  Everyone.
 I  was  washing  my  betta  bowl  this  morning  &  it  cracked!

Now  i'm  thinking  of  getting  a  12"  X  12"  X  12"  glass  cube.

Majority  of  people  say  a  bowl  isn't  the  best  place  for  a  betta  hence  the  decision  to  change.

I  want  to  know  where  can  i  get  a  good  quality  cube  in  Mumbai?
 How  much  will  it  approximately  cost?
 I  used  to  have  small  colour  stones  on  the  bottom  of  my  fish  bowl  with  a  plastic  plant  sticking  out  of  that,  can  i  use  that  in  the  cube?

Do  i  need  to  cycle  this  cube?  (that's  the  most  worry  some  question.)
 Please  help  me  get  King  Edward  (that's  what  i  call  him)  a  home  !  He's  a  BEAUTIFUL  fish!
 Thanks  -  from  a  novice  betta  owner.
Rajdeep_Banik
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:48 pm Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

You  can  order  an  aquarium  seller  to  make  it  for  you  or  you  can  build  it  yourself!  Will  be  cheaper.  Get  a  HOB  filter.
 P.S.  First  check  the  filter  for  size.
hems
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:29 pm Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

You  will  get  it  at  KURLA  east.
 Please  check  PM  for  price.
netherwinterknights
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:17 am Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

For  a  betta,  use  only  a  bubble/corner  filter,  since  it  does  not  cause  a  lot  of  water  flow.  Large  finned  fish  like  the  betta  get  tired  and  stressed  out  if  there  is  a  continuous  water  current.

Since  your  betta  was  in  a  bowl,  you  will  not  have  any  mature  tank  water  to  cycle  the  new  cube.  Use  seed  beneficial  bacteria  from  the  sponge  of  another  healthy  aquarium,  maybe  a  friend's.  I  suggest  that  you  acclimatize  your  betta,  as  if  he  were  a  new  fish  that  you  were  adding  to  your  new  aquarium.
vishu1708
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:32 pm Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

@netherwinterknight-  we  are  not  talking  about  some  delicate  fish  species.  Its  a  beta.  He  doesnt  need  all  that.  Beta  can  be  used  for  cycling  a  tank.
   @OLIVERIDLEY  If  the  plant  is  made  of  plastic,  it  can  harm  your  fish.  It  can  cut  beta  fins.  Remove  it.  
 As  stated  above,  use  a  sponge  filter.  The  tank  will  cycle  on  its  own.  Just  keep  changing  water  weekly  for  2  months,  never  wash  sponge  in  chlorine  water  and  do  not  use  copper  based  medications(blue  coloured  ones).  You  should  not  have  much  problem.
immu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:00 am Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

Irrespective  of  how  hardy  or  delicate  a  fish  is,  acclimating  the  fish  is  a  must.  Do  use  aged  water  when  u  setup  a  new  tank.
netherwinterknights
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 am Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

@vishu1708:
 I  just  suggested  a  corner/bubble  filter.  What  great  investment  was  that?  When  you  refute  anyones  comments,  please  mention  why?  You  have  not  seen  a  betta  stressed  out  by  water  flow,  have  you?
 Do  you  know  how  much  water  current  a  HOB  causes?
vishu1708
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

@netherwinternight-  sir  you  misunderstood.  Please  read  my  full  comment.  I  agree  with  you  that  a  sponge  filter  is  perfect  for  a  cube  of  that  size.  I  know  a  betta  doesnt  like  strong  flow.  Both  HOB  and  Power  head  filters  are  too  strong  for  the  cube.  
 I  was  refering  to  the  water  from  a  cycled  tank.  I  just  said  that  water  from  a  cycled  tank  is  really  not  necessary  if  you  dont  have  it  available.  Simple  tap  water  treated  with  conditioner  can  also  be  used.  
 FYI-  I  had  rescued  a  betta  once.  It  was  in  2  l  bowl  with  a  small  filter  with  capacity  of  250l/h  and  looked  pale.  It  was  sitting  on  the  bottom,  not  responding.  It  was  a  blue  and  red  crowntail.  I  had  it  for  a  year  until  it  grew  old  and  my  yoyo  loaches  ripped  its  fins.  I  seperated  the  yoyos  but  the  betta  never  fully  recovered  and  died  in  a  month.  It  was  my  favourite  fish.  Crying or Very sad  .  So,  yes  I  do  know  betta  gets  stressed  in  strong  flow.
oliveridley
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:02 pm Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

@  Vishu,  I  got  a  one  foot  tank  to  house  my  Betta  the  same  day.
 Unfortunately  im  having  the  same  trouble  as  you  once  had.
 He  has  become  very  inactive,  lies  on  the  bottom  most  of  the  day,  doesn't  come  rushing  to  the  tank  as  he  used  to  when  i  got  him  a  year  back  (I  bought  him  from  the  LFS  and  he  was  in  a  tiny  tea  glass!!)  AND  WORST  of  all  doesn't  eat  at  night  and  eats  only  3-4  pellets  in  the  morning  instead  of  the  usual  6  to  8....
 It  becomes  really  depressing  for  me  to  watch  him  like  that.
 He  darts  or  swims  up  to  the  surface  gasps/breathes  and  then  slowly  sinks  back  down.  So  often  he  misses  the  pellet  on  the  surface  -  i.e.  he  bites  the  spot  just  next  to  it.

He  doesn't  make  bubble  nests  AT  ALL  since  the  last  2  months  which  he  used  to  do  very  often  earlier.
netherwinterknights
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:40 pm Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

This  new  tank  is  most  probably  un-cycled.  The  ammonia  and  nitrites  might  be  why  your  betta  is  not  appearing  happy.  Introducing  the  gunk  from  an  established  tank's  filter  sponge  into  your  Betta's  filter's  sponge  should  set  things  aright.  You  might  have  to  wait  for  the  water  parameters  to  stabilize.  In  the  meanwhile,  you  may  perform  a  daily  10%  partial  water  change  to  prevent  to  much  ammonia  and  nitrites  from  building  up.
vishu1708
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:56 pm Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

When  did  you  get  the  betta?  
 When  we  get  them  from  LFS,  they  are  around  7months  to  1  year  old  and  betta  lives  for  about  2-2.5max.  Sounds  like  old  age  to  me.  Happened  with  me  too.  After  about  11months,  It  stopped  eating  much  and  would  sit  on  my  plants  for  long  time.  It  stopped  flairing  and  stopped  chasing  my  guppy  fry.  It  did  not  build  bubble  nest  anymore.  It  died  1  month  after  I  noticed  these  changes.  
 Old  age  is  what  I  think  although  you  I  am  not  an  expert.
 Better  confirm  from  some  expert.
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:44 am Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

Do  not  use  any  power  filters  in  Betta  tank.  And  don't  believe  u  need  a  filter  inbetta  tank.  Since  we  do  do  much  water  change  .
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:49 am Post subject: Re: URGENT Help needed to fix a blunder. Reply with quote

A  single  Betta  how  much  ammonia  nitrates  so  you  think  he  can  produce.  Just  doing  simple  water  change  is  good  enough.  And  Filters  do  stress  a  bstta.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Betta Bitten and other Labyrinths All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: