190. Guest
191. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,802

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - On dealing with Nitrate in the water.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

On dealing with Nitrate in the water.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:22 pm Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

There  are  many  ways  to  reduce  the  volume  of  water  changes.

a)  Reduce  the  number  of  fish  in  the  tank.  The  easiest  method,  by  far,  but  one  that  most  people  refuse  to  follow.

b)  Use  plants.  Duckweed,  salvinia,  water  hyacinth  etc  will  soak  up  nitrates  like  a  sponge.  Emergent  growth  of  plants  like  bacopa  will  also  rapidly  take  up  nitrates.  You  can  also  use  things  like  money  plants,  various  epiphytes  and  aroids  in  semi  submerged  pots.  You  can  also  plumb  your  tank  to  a  largish  pot  planted  with  canna  and  various  ornamental  grasses.  You  have  aesthetic  considerations  here,  but  those  are  easy  to  solve.

c)  Use  a  sponge.  Large  pieces  of  sponge  placed  at  the  bottom  of  deep,  covered  containers  will  harbour  colonies  of  anaerobic  bacteria  that  will  use  up  all  the  nitrates  in  your  water.  This  method  needs  a  lot  of  fine  tuning  to  get  the  flow  right.

d)  Use  a  deep  sand  bed  filter  if  you  have  a  sump.  What  works  in  a  marine  tank  will  work  in  freshwater  as  well  ;)

Then  again,  worrying  about  water  changes  when  running  a  few  hundred  watts  of  (mostly  unnecessary)  electrical  equipment  is  a  bit  silly,  unless  you're  on  solar.  You'll  do  far  greater  good  to  the  environment  by  reducing  electricity  consumption.  Then  again,  most  people  use  potable  water  for  flushing  the  toilet.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:55 pm Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

retro_gk  wrote  (View  Post):                

Use  a  deep  sand  bed  filter  if  you  have  a  sump.  What  works  in  a  marine  tank  will  work  in  freshwater  as  well  Wink

This  is  in  my  sump  mounted  above  my  tank...  natural  resources...

@  Ron
 Just  as  the  phrase  "  Little  knowledge  is  dangerous"  the  same  goes  to  
 "  Too  much  knowledge  brings  sorrows",  you  keep  worrying  about  the  efforts  after  the  set-up,  which  make  you  more  worried  before  the  setup.  better  to  worry  later  Very Happy
ramki600014
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:16 pm Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

In  followup  to  retro_gk's  excellent  suggestions  -   Diana  Walstad  has  reviewed  the  literature  on  nitrate  and  ammonium  uptake  by  immersed  and  emersed  plants.  A  relevant  excerpt  from  her  book  Ecology  of  the  Planted  Aquarium  is  here:
 http://www.aquabotanic.com/plants_and_biological_filtration.htm
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:08 pm Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

Ok  I  will  fess  up  found  that  one  of  my  members  wifes  has  done  here  Doctorate  in  water  treatment  and  she  is  helping  me.  She  has  no  idea  about  fish  keeping  though.

There  are  three  ways  to  deal  with  Nitrates  in  your  water.
 They  are

a.  Ion  Exchange
 b.  Osmosis
 c.  Biological

While  the  first  two  may  sound  complex  its  nothing  a  science  student  couldn't  hook  you  up  with.  And  there  are  Indian  companies  that  sell  such  units  in  all  sizes  and  shapes.   You  should  pick  one  that  is  easy  to  maintain  and  run.  We  will  be  discussing  this  on  Sunday.

She  is  looking  into  the  Biological  route  but  as  things  stand  the  US  guys  are  the  only  one  who  seem  to  have  the  bacteria  to  Handel  it.
 She  also  told  me  that  the  best  activated  carbon  is  sold  by  a  company  in  Calcutta  and  its  single  digit  numbers  per  Kg.
 Is  going  to  call  and  ask  if  they  have  a  dealer  in  Bangalore.

I  think  the  name  mentioned  was  Global  Solvents.  Im  thinking  of  picking  up  100  Kgs.
 If  we  can  get  it  for  the  same  price  in  Bangalore.

Thanks  for  the  link  on  plants  that  is  one  aspect  I  have  been  reading  up  on.  And  am  very  interested  in.
 But  as  I  keep  mainly  chichids  its  a  pain  to  grow  anything.  The  plan  is  to  put  the  plants  in  the  3ft  sump  filter  Im  making  under  the  main  tank.
 viz  the  plants  Im  trying  to  figure  out  how  many  plants  and  what  type  Id  need  to  handle  the  Nitrate  load  in  my  tank.  Its  not  easy.  And  I  dont  think  anybody  has  a  ready  made  answer  for  that.  This  is  something  that  will  need  to  be  tuned.  If  possible  this  would  be  the  simplest  solution  to  handling  Nitrate  load.

That  link  on  Plants   Clapping   Rock On  
 Thanks  Boss  you  made  my  day.

Last edited by Chinoy on Fri May 22, 2009 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
GatorX

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:14 pm Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

Go  for  an  algae  filter..  works  great..  

Google  it  and  you  will  find  a  lot  of  links  on  how  it  works  and  how  to  make  your  own...
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:18 pm Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

Thanks  Guru  will  look  it  up.
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:03 pm Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

GatorX  wrote  (View  Post):                
Go  for  an  algae  filter..  works  great..  

Have  you  tried  running  one  for  an  extended  period  of  time?
GatorX

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:10 pm Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

I've  been  using  it  for  3  months  now...  Its  the  only  filter  running  my  SW  setup..
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:26 pm Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

Details  of  the  setup,  please.
GatorX

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:04 pm Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

Here  are  the  Details..

Tank  Size:  2x1x1
 Tank  Lighting:  72  watts  of  pll  and  one  actinic

The  Screen  is  a  6"x6"  and  runs  on  a  900lph  powerhead,  the  screen  lighting  is  a  2700k  18watt  cfl  that  runs  for  about  16-18hrs  a  day.

The  screen  is  cleand  every  few  days..

The  tank  contains  an  anemone,  few  zooa's,  a  fuzzy  dwarf  lionfish  and  2  toadfish.(the  fish  are  housed  in  this  tank  till  i  get  the  big  tank  up  and  running)

I  used  to  have  a  lot  of  algae  in  this  tank  due  to  the  high  nitrates,  but  after  running  this  filter,  the  algae  slowly  disappears  and  coraline  algae  has  picked  up.  This  type  of  filter  reduces  phospates  as  well  as  nitrates.

I  haven't  done  a  waterchange  since  Jan  and  everything  is  fine,  the  water  is  crystal  clear.  

I  don't  have  a  No3  test  kit,  so  can't  check  the  level  of  nitrates..
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:27 am Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

Ill  be  getting  a  complete  test  kit  shortly  so  monitoring  stuff  shouldnt  be  a  problem.

I  think  I  finally  found  what  I  was  looking  for.

Check  it  out.
 Obviously  this  wont  be  the  only  weapon  in  my  .  But  its  a  start.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REVERSE-OSMOSIS-UNIT-TROPICAL-FISH-MARINES-DISCUS_W0QQitemZ260361707149QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item3c9ec45e8d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1686|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Algae  filter  in  the  sump.  Sounds  smarter  than  plants  in  sump.  So  that's  one  improvement  there.

A  nice  link.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2148&aid=2890

Last edited by Chinoy on Sat May 23, 2009 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:36 am Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

GatorX  wrote  (View  Post):                
H

I  haven't  done  a  waterchange  since  Jan  and  everything  is  fine,  the  water  is  crystal  clear.  

You  say  that  almost  like  its  something  to  be  ashamed  about  LOL.

Nice  to  see  others  come  out.   Clapping
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:13 am Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

Over  the  past  day  or  two.  Ive  meet  a  lot  of  people  in  Bangalore  who  have  been  keeping  tanks  for  years.  And  who  do  not  bother  with  water  changes  (On  the  scale  of  what  you  normally  see  as  recommended  i.e.  25-50%  every  week).  They  have  crystal  clear  water.  Healthy  fish  and  all  key  parameters  in  check.

Here  is  what  all  of  them  had  in  common.

a.  A  sump  filter.
 b.  Water  return  is  above  the  surface  of  the  water.
 c.  Plants  or  Algae  screens.
 d.  At  least  a  circulation  of  2  times  tank  +  sump  volume  per  hour.
 e.  Their  Bio  load  is  on  the  low  side.   Like  one  very  big  fish  or  a  few  small  ones.  None  have  over  crowded  their  tanks.

They  aren't  interested  in  debating  their  views  but  are  more  than  willing  to  help  with  seeding  media  or  tips  and  advise.
 Honestly  I  haven't  figured  out  how  they  are  pulling  it  off  with  no  special  equipment  or  Bacteria  but  they  are  doing  it.

Ps:  Fresh  water  is  added  from  time  to  time  to  cater  to  loss  due  to  evap.

Last edited by Chinoy on Sun May 24, 2009 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Whitesnake
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:23 am Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

Dear  Chinoy,

What  kindy  of  fish  do  they  keep?  and  what  is  the  tanks  size.

well  just  because  the  water  looks  clean  that  does  not  mean  good  for  the  fish?

Regards,

Clive
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:39 am Post subject: Re: On dealing with Nitrate in the water. Reply with quote

Ok  boss.  You  are  right.  

Dont  remember  the  fish  names  (They  are  from  the  cat  fish  familly)  tank  size  is  in  the  3-4  ft  range.
 Next  time  I  see  them  will  ask  or  will  call  in  the  morning  and  ask.

Will  stick  to  my  original  quest  of  just  figuring  out  how  do  deal  with  Nitrates.

As  I  do  not  wish  to  get  into  any  kind  of  argument  with  anybody  on  any  subject.  Here.
 I  am  here  to  learn.  And  to  share  my  experience's  pertaining  to  the  hobby.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: