100. Guest
101. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,371

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:57 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

I  mean  a  non  political  one.  Smile
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:01 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Quote:                
50%  pricing  for  all  female  hobbyists  is  the  industry  norm.  Please  follow  it.                

what  s  up  with  the  reservation  mr.trevor..i  thought  there  was  no  gender  bias  in  IAH  Very Happy  are  we  going  progressing  or  regressing  Chuckle
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:11 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

natbox  wrote  (View  Post):                

Quote:                
50%  pricing  for  all  female  hobbyists  is  the  industry  norm.  Please  follow  it.                

what  s  up  with  the  reservation  mr.trevor..i  thought  there  was  no  gender  bias  in  IAH  Very Happy  are  we  going  progressing  or  regressing  Chuckle                

This  started  from  time  immemorial.  Adam  is  the  first  culprit.   Wink
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:26 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

well  i  ll  then  ask  my  girlfriend  to  register  in  this  forum  and  buy  on  my  behalf   Razz
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:15 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

natbox  wrote  (View  Post):                
well  i  ll  then  ask  my  girlfriend  to  register  in  this  forum  and  buy  on  my  behalf   Razz                

Do  not  be  too  confident.  Unless  you  are  prepared  to  go  in  for  a  new  girlfriend.  Razz
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:23 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Waiting  for  more  pictures  Nayak.  Great  thread  you've  started.  Thumb Up
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:54 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Shankar  wrote  (View  Post):                
Take  the  signature  and  take  away  the  'Naughty  at..'  reputation  too.  No  wonder  why,  not  even  a  single  female  hobbyist  ever  on  IAH  has  bought  fish  from  me.   Chuckle                

Thanks  Shankar,  Though  I  think  I  will  wait  a  couple  of  years  for  the  second  offer.  "naughty  at"  doesn't  rhyme  well  with  the  number  I  represent  Chuckle  

mcgokul  wrote  (View  Post):                

Waiting  for  more  pictures  Nayak.  Great  thread  you've  started.  Thumb Up

Thanks  Gokul,  Saturday  and  Sundays  are  off.  Smile  But  I  will  be  posting  today  evening.

Regards,
 Nayak.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:42 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Jan  2005….

My  contemporaries  during  the  following  months  were,
 Navil(lancelot),madhu_Ulysses(Madhusoodhan),Dolphy(Jennifer),Pennyilurm(Niranjan)  and  Suby7272(Suhaib).
 Though  we  joined  within  months  of  each  other  the  knowledge  each  of  us  had  was  varied.  

During  that  time  I  met  the  third  Aquarist.  Though  younger  to  me  he  was  very  knowledgeable  and  was  immense  help  to  me.  I  am  talking  about  Nikhil  Sood.
 He  thought  me  to  ID  a  healthy  fish  in  a  school  of  fishes,  Use  the  net  in  such  a  way  as  not  to  stress  that  same  fish  when  catching  it  and  then  packing  it.  Once  when  I  evinced  interest  in  breeding  fishes  he  kindly  parted  with  his  breeding  pair  of  Jewel  Cichlids.

Dated:22-DEC-2006
 Photographer:  Nayak
 Camera:  Sony  DSC-H5

I  got  these  fishes  in  July  2005.  I  put  them  in  species  only  tank.  They  spawned  within  20days  on  a  flat  piece  of  rock.  But  the  next  day  the  eggs  were  all  eaten.  Disappointed  I  stopped  watching  them  for  the  next  few  days.  One  day  I  saw  the  male  near  the  front  of  the  tank  all  battered.  I  immediately  shifted  him  into  a  tub  with  the  same  tank  water  and  some  stress-coat.  But  he  gave  up  the  ghost  that  very  night.
 The  female  was  with  me  for  another  1.5  years  before  I  gave  her  to  another  hobbyist.

Nikhil  was  also  helpful  in  introducing  me  to  the  senior  hobbyist’s  and  I  can  never  thank  him  for  the  details  he  gave  me  in  the  form  of  the  history  of  IAH.
 Tomorrow,  The  history  of  IAH  and  its  founders  as  told  by  Nikhil...

Regards,
 Nayak.

P.S:  I  am  posting  early  today  since  I  might  not  be  able  to  do  so  in  the  evening.

Last edited by rasikanayak on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aquaholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:26 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Nayak,

Some  memory  you  have,  i  cant  even  remember  what  i  ate  this  morning!!.

Jokes  apart,  Great  going.  Thumb Up  

Cheers

Vince
diwan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:46 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Nayak  eagerly  waiting  to  read  the  next  part  of  the  post.Thanks  for  the  briefing  of  so  many  of  the  hobbyists  to   us  newcomers.  Thumb Up  

Regards,
 Dinesh.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:44 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Without  a  sense  of  past  there  is  no  future.  So  here  goes,

Team  Bangalore:-

Madan  Subramanyan  was  the  first  person  in  India  who  started  planted  tanks  in  a  professional  way.  He  would  get  exotic  plants  not  available  in  India  on  his  journeys  abroad.  By  the  term  Professional  tanks  I  mean  CO2  injection,  Metal  halide  lights,  Dosing  fertilizers  as  per  Estimative  index  etc.  Madan  was  also  a  member  of  Aquatic  Gardeners  Association(AGA).  He  had  his  tanks  exhibited  in  international  competitions.  He  was  the  first  person  in  India  to  analyse  the  PMDD  requirement  to  suit  Indian  tanks  and  publish  it  freely  on  the  net.  The  costly  plants  brought  by  him  were  propagated  in  his  tanks  and  then  freely  distributed  to  the  hobbyist's  in  Bangalore  in  order  to  popularise  the  Planted  tank  concept.  In  these  sense  he  is  the  father  of  the  concept  of  Planted  aquariums  and  Aquascaping  in  India.

Parallely  Mr  Rajendra  Kumar  of  ASK  [at]  yahoo  [dot]  com  was  also  developing  the  professional  planted  tanks  to  suit  Indian  conditions.

Trevor  being  an  engineer  was  responsible  for  acquiring  and  modifying  the  available  components  at  that  time  for  CO2  regulator,  Needle  valves,  Tube  fittings  etc.  Since  proper  CO2  regulators  were  not  available  Trevor  had  to  machine,  bore  and  alter  Regulators  to  fit  CO2  P.U  tubings..  Those  times  the  CO2  cylinders  were  all  33Kgs.  It  was  a  time  of  lots  of  experimentation.

Rufus  was  instrumental  in  developing  the  different  type  of  CO2  diffusers,  Bubble  counters  and  other  glass  gadgets.

Chennai  Team,

In  Chennai  a  core  team  consisting  of  Ravi,  Beta  and  Venkat  were  also  interested  in  the  planted  tanks.  In  search  of  information,  when  they  tried  AGA  threads  on  the  Internet  they  found  Madan's  name  there.  

Ravi  then  contacted  Madan  about  the  planted  tanks  and  made  a  trip  to  Bangalore.  Here  he  saw  Madans  tanks  and  was  impressed  by  the  CO2  injection  into  planted  tanks.  A  second  trip  was  made  by  the  Chennai  team  including  Beta  and  Venkat  to  complete  the  knowledge  gaining  exercise.  A  friendship  was  struck  between  the  Chennai  team  and  the  Bangalore  team.

Ravi,  anticipating  the  advantages  of  co-ordinating  with  the  Hobbyist's  of  different  city's,  Proposed  and  implemented  the  Web  site  Indianaquariumhobbyist(www.iah.in).  This  was  the  very  first  dedicated  Aquarium  portal  in  India

Ravi  is  the  founder  of  IAH  and  the  founding  Admin's  being  Madan,  Beta  and  Venkat.  The  Founder  as  well  as  the  founding  admins  were  hobbyists  only,  having  their  own  professions.  IAH  was  a  philanthropic  venture  with  absolutely  no  financial  interests.

This  as  far  as  I  understand  is  the  back  ground  of  IAH,  Of  which  we  are  proud  members.

I  have  posted  as  much  knowledge  of  IAH  as  I  have,  If  any  other  members  can  fill  in  some  more  details  please  help.

Regards,
 Nayak
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:18 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

A  very  good  start  indeed  Nayak.   Ravi  used  to  brief  a  few  words  of  how  it  all  started  in  Aquatikas.
 Precisely,  Ravi  came  across  a  thread  in  AGA  where  Madan  has  given  tips  on  blooming  of  a  rare  plant,  don't  remember  the  name  and  that  eventually  led  the  Chennai  guys  to  hook  up  with  the  Bangaloreans.
 Ever  since  IAH  started,  so  did  trips.   The  core  team  was  always  in  search  of  water  and  newer  biotopes.   To  highlight  a  few,  I  found  the  first  native  Channa  article  from  IAH.   Starting  from  that,  canarensis  trip  and  the  denisoni  habitat  study  trip  were  almost  first  of  their  kind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:39 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Well  from  the  Chennai  side..
 I  met  Venket  at  a  LFS  in  Chennai  probably  in  1995.  He  was  interested  in  Oscars  at  that  time  so  he  later  came  home  to  look  at  my  Oscar  collection.  We  later  got  together  along  with  a  few  more  hobbyists  to  start  the  now  defunct  Chennai  Aquarium  Club.  Ravi  lived  probably  5  houses  away  from  Venket  but  actually  tracked  him  down  through  the  net.  I  think  he  was  searching  for  Chennai  Aquarium  Club.  I  would  need  Ravi  to  confirm  to  that.  I  met  Ravi  through  Venket  soon  after.
 Ravi  told  us  about  Madan's  amazing  planted  tanks  and  all  about  Co2,  Metal  Halides  and  the  works.  We  made  a  trip  together  to  visit  the  Aquarium  exhibition  (somebody  jog  my  memory  on  what  it  was  called)  at  ASK,  Bangalore.  During  the  trip  we  met  Madan,  Adip,  Trevor  and  Rufus  and  this  started  a  long  and  wonderful  friendship  between  the  two  teams  which  went  beyond  just  Aquariums.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:51 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

The  big  three.  Ravi,  Madan  and  Venkat  (L  -  R)
vraghu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:42 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Great  Going  Nayak,

When  i  decided  to  to  jump  into  the  world  of  Aquariums  ,  i  was  not  sure  what  to  start  of...  (Fish  only..  or  Planted  ...  ),  thats  when  i  met  Madan  ,  Raj  ,  Rufus  ,  Trevor,  and  was  hooked  into  the  world  of  Planted  Tanks..   Chuckle  ,   Madan  was  patient  enough  to  listen  and  answer  all  the  Questions  which  was  bouncing  all  over  my  head  ...  Once  i  saw  his  Tanks,  i  was  hooked  into  the  world  of  planted  Tanks...  he   was  also  generous  enough  to  give  away  plants  to  a  newbie  like  me...  who  did  not  know  even  the  names  of  those  or  how  to  plant  and  grow  them....  Chuckle  ..

Execellent  article  to  walk  down  the  memory  lane.....   Thumb Up  

Regds
 VRaghu.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 3 of 31

Jump to: