35. Guest
36. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited).
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:14 pm Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

Mayur,  thanks  for  the  cakes  (plural,  I  finished  half  there  and  he  obliged  with  another  one   Thumb Up  )  and  Lunch.  I  met  a  lot  of  people  for  the  first  time...  the  famous  Story  teller  Nayak....  I  have  called  Mr.  Trevor  when  ever  I  have  had  problems  with  my  Tank  so  many  times  and  at  all  times  (including  middle  of  the  night)  and  I  finally  met  the  man  behind  the  ever  helpful  voice  (of  course  had  seen  photographs  in  Nayak's  narrative).  Also  met  Nikhil  whose  photo  I  had  come  across  would  have  been  atleast  5Years  +  younger  and  did  not  recognize  him.  Thanks  to  Matsya  Premi  for  giving  me  a  Matsya  premi  memento,  met  loads  of  other  people  and  one  Praani  Smile  and  am  looking  forward  to  meet  them  again...

Hail  aquarists   Thumbs Up  

Leechman  
 (thats  another  sad  story)
mayurdev
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:53 pm Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

Merry  Christmas  and  a  Happy  New  Year  to  all.  I  am  glad  that  all  of  you  enjoyed  the  Plum  Cake.  

The  credit  should  go  to  Mr.  Trevor  for  giving  me  the  Idea  of  a  memento  for  the  year  end  meet.  Thank  You.

Thank  you  Ram  and  Umesh  for  the  lovely  gift  that  you  got  us.

A  piece  of  my  mind

Bangalore  hobbyists  don't  need  to  big  a  reason  to  meet  or  even  go  on  a  trip.  The  reason  for  this  meet  was  that  it  was  the  end  of  the  year  and  that  Ram  a  reletively  new  member  to  Iah  (Joined  Jan  2008  i  think)  was  in  Bangalore.
 Trips  get  organized  at  the  drop  of  a  hat  and  for  simple  reasons  like  wanting  to  take  a  long  drive  and  some  fresh  air.

I  am  not  even  going  to  mention  the  effort  it  takes  for  members  in  other  cities  to  meet.

Coming  to  the  point,  all  this  happens  only  because  we  have  committed  seniors.  

Keeping  in  mind  all  that  has  been  said   against  these  seniors  in  the  last  couple  of  weeks  in  a  few  posts  here,

I  think  by  organizing  trips,  teaching  us  the  finer  points  of  keeping  and  catching  native  fish,  showing  us  that  there  can  be  an  Abundance  of  life  in  a  small  inconspicuous  puddle,  they  are  trying  to  market  the  Cavery  River,  The  bad  roads  that  lead  to  it,  and  all  the  tea  shops  and  restaurants  the  we  stop  at  during  these  trips.

And  when  there  is  a  meet  organized  at  the  govt  aquarium  i  think  they  are  marketing  the  stone  bench  we  sit  on  and  the  tea  that  we  drink  for  free  because  they  have  already  paid  for  it.

This  is  for  all  those  small  minded  people  who  think  that  when  a  senior  posts  details  of  a  product  he  is  trying  to  market  it.

If  that  was  the  case  then  every  time  a  new  hobbyist  requires  help  and  someone  offers  it,  Is  that  person  trying  to  market   the  street,  shop  or  the  product  in  question?

Do  try  this  simple  exercise  if  possible,  go  through  every  post,article  or  thread  in  this  forum  and  you  will  find  someone  or  the  other  is  offering  a  helping  hand  to  a  member,  so  is  that  person  trying  to  market  something?

DUH  it  is  called  GIVING  DIRECTIONS,  

So  Moral  of  the  story  is  

If  a  senior  posts  details  or  the  credibility  of  a  product  it  is  only  to  show  all  you  novice  hobbyists  the  verity  of  stuff  available  in  the  market.

If  a  senior  asks  you  to  correct  your  language,  delete  or  even  change  the  locations  of  large  files  like  photos,  it  is  for  you  all  to  oblige  with  out  being  obnoxious.

If  a  senior  asks  you  to  stop  a  particular  discussion,  then  stop.

Now,  All  out  there  who  openly  critisize  IAH  and  say  that  this  is  the  last  place  you  want  to  be,  And  come  back  the  next  day,  Well,  you  are  Welcome  ,  Can't  blame  you  guys  you  are  only  Human.

Please  Remember  We  are  all  here  to  learn  more  about  the  hobby  that  we  have  come  to  love.

If  a  few  of  you  want  to  be  hero's  or  self  made  God's  Gift  to  the  hobby  by  acting  smart  then  find  a  Bollwood  Blog,  this  is  not  the  place  for  you.

Thank  you  

Have  a  Good  Fishy  Year  Ahead.
random2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:53 pm Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

Feeling  bad  for  missing  this  meet.  Was  stuck  because  of  a  prior  commitment.  Will  be  waiting  for  the  first  meet  of  2009.
praani
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:14 am Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

Here's  the  comic  strip  from  Sunday!  It  was  great  meeting  up  with  all  of  you  and  ofcourse  everyone  at  home  enjoyed  the  cake.  

Fishy  pics  coming  as  I  wade  through  them  and  get  them  cleaned  out.  Trevor  saar,  simply  don't  embarass  using  the  'ace'  with  my  name!  I  am  just  another  bum  with  a  camera...
uv_umesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:40 am Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

Poof...!!!

Lancelot
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:26 am Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

whoa!!  i  left  a  little  early  so  missed  the  discussion  on  seniors...  

i  honestly  don't  know  who  said  what  regarding  whatever,  but  a  little  of  my  experience:

when  i  first  joined  IAH,  i  found  that  i  really  new  diddly  squat  about  fishes.   reading  every  forum  topic  and  using  common  sense  helped  getting  a  better  feel  and  understanding.   then  i  joined  ASK.   OMG!  what  a  revelation!  reading  something  is  not  the  same  as  hearing  it  from  someone  who  has  experienced  it.   

i  made  it  a  point  to  attend  every  meeting  and  just  sat  there,  taking  in  the  conversation  and  learning  a  whole  lot.   i  still  see  stars  when  discussion  enter  latin  names  and  what  not...  sheesh...   i  still  remember,  i  had  made  a  comment  on  the  forum  once,  long  long  back  which  was  inappropriate  in  some  way.   madan  pointed  it  out  very  very  gently  and  i  made  it  a  point  to  edit  the  same.   Common  Courtesy...  it  means  quite  a  bit.   

Adip,  Madan,  Trevor,  Nag,  and  several  others  gave  me  a  lot  of  points  on  certain  filters  (good,  bad,  don't  touch,  etc.)  by  brand  names  and  sometimes  model  numbers  as  well.   they  even  told  me  which  LFS  has  good  fishes  and  which  don't.

i  rate  the  above  as  pointers  to  a  newbie  not  marketing.   if  you  truly  feel  they  market,  please  feel  free  to  try  it  out  on  your  own  and  after  you  have  wasted  money,  time,  effort  and  get  frustrated  enough,  come  back  and  learn  from  them.

respect  those  who  teach  you  through  experience,  knowledge,  and  with  good  intentions.

Last edited by Lancelot on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Lancelot
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:27 am Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

oh...  one  more  thing...  (i'm  keeping  this  as  a  seperate  post  so  as  to  make  a  point).

thank  you  very  very  much  mayur  for  the  cake.   my  wife  and  i  just  had  it  today  and  it  was  very  good.   sorry  for  not  thanking  you  earlier.

also,  thank  you  umesh  for  the  pics.   my  wife  thought  i  was  out  joyriding,  what  with  Trevor's  pics  not  including  me.   i  was  finally  able  to  prove  that  i  was  doing  fish  duty...  Very Happy
mayurdev
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:18 pm Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

You  are  most  welcome  lance,  Merry  Christmas  and  Happy  New  year  to  you  and  your  family.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:37 pm Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

Lancelot  wrote  (View  Post):                

also,  thank  you  umesh  for  the  pics.   my  wife  thought  i  was  out  joyriding,  what  with  Trevor's  pics  not  including  me.   i  was  finally  able  to  prove  that  i  was  doing  fish  duty...  Very Happy                

Sorry  Lance.  Here  is  one  for  the  wife.  Receiving  a  memento  from  K.Ram  (Mumbai).
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:47 pm Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

Yes  the  cake  was  awesome,  A  big  thank  you  Mayur.  One  of  the  best  I  have  had  till  date.  My  dad  was  all  praise  for  the  cake.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:29 pm Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

Preeths  wrote  (View  Post):                
Yes  the  cake  was  awesome,  A  big  thank  you  Mayur.  One  of  the  best  I  have  had  till  date.  My  dad  was  all  praise  for  the  cake.                

Ah,  The  lovely  plum  cakes.  
 The  raisins  were  soaked  in  Rum  for  a  year.  
 Specially  made  only  for  the  fishy  guys  and  the  chosen  few.
uv_umesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:02 pm Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

......  in  continuation  of  ASK  meet  at  the  McDonald's  >

Mayur  directing  the  choice  of  menu

Pradeep  counter  suggesting

Excuse  me  please!

Adip  -    "for  me  what  have  you  chosen?"

Shreyas  -  Gosh!  where's  my  purse?  

Come  on  buddy,  I'll  find  it  for  you....

uv_umesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:37 pm Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

......i'm  lovin'  it  (ASK)  -  it  says  all!
Lancelot
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:18 am Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                

Lancelot  wrote  (View  Post):                

Sorry  Lance.  Here  is  one  for  the  wife.  Receiving  a  memento  from  K.Ram  (Mumbai).                

Very Happy  That  was  the  best  one  yet...
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:34 pm Post subject: Re: Visit to Bangalore + ASK meet 28/12/2008 (edited). Reply with quote

Hey  Umesh,  I  am  loving  it  too,  I  did  not  realise  you  had  taken  so  many  pictures  and  were  going  to  post  so  many  either...

This  was  my  first  ASK  Meet  and  now....  when's  the  next  one???
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: