151. Guest
152. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Discus in my planted tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Discus in my planted tank
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Planthead
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:04 pm Post subject: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Hi  

Finally  my  wish  accomplished  by  introducing  discus  fish  in  my  planted  aquarium.

Water  used  is  Kent  RO,  PH  in  my  tank  is  6.6.   
      Increased  my  temp  to  28c...need  to  monitor  my  plants
      decreased  my  co2  level
      Weekly  50%  water  change
      my  next  goal  to  feed  them  properly  (please  suggest  me  some  food)
sergiomiranda
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:42 pm Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

rocking  tank  dude  Rock On   Rock On   Rock On   Rock On  

great  looking  fishy  too   Thumb Up   Thumb Up   Thumb Up
bengalman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:05 pm Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Discus  in  a  planted  aquarium:

Without  any  doubt,  planted  tank  is  one  the  beautiful  looking  of  any  kind  of  tanks.  Many  of  us  love  to  keep  planted  tank.  It’s  nice  to  see  some  awesome  planted  aquarium.  It’s  a  great  feelings  when  one  keep  beautiful  discus  in  a  planted  tank.  Especially  when  we  see  beautiful  planted  tank  with  discus  we  are  amazed  to  see  this  beauty.  Let  me  assume  that  you  also  keep  planted  tank.  Now  for  the  first  time  you  want  to  keep  discus  in  your  planted.  Ok,  don’t  worry.  You  can  keep  discus  if  you  know  some  tricks  about  them.

i)  Different  types  of  discus  that  you  can  keep  in  a  planted  tank:

You  have  to  be  choosy  enough  for  different  strain  of  discus  in  a  planted  tank.  You  can’t  choose  all  types  of  discus  in  a  planted  tank.  Let  me  assume  that  you  have  a  beautiful  planted  set  up.  But  you  keep  some  peepering  prone  or  such  type  of  discus.  I  see  many  planted  experts  keeping  discus  in  their  tanks  but  they  keep  juvenile  and  peepering  discus.  I  feel  very  sad  to  see  this.  So  to  avoid  this  you  can  keep  all  turquoise  strain,  leopard,  snakeskin,  san  merah,  blue  diamond  etc.

You  know  planted  tank  can  be  classified  of  2  different  types.  One  is  low-tech  set  up  with  DIY  CO2,  DIY  substrate,  low-medium  light  etc.  keeping  discus  in  this  type  of  set  up  is  comparatively  easier.one  can  keep  adult  discus  in  this  low-tech  set  up  after  4-5  months  of  set  up.  Once  the  tank  is  settled  well  and  tends  to  mature  then  you  can  keep  them.

Other  type  of  set  up  is  high-tech  planted  tank  with  pressurised  CO2  system,  branded  substrate,  high  light,  proper  dosing  etc.  keeping  discus  in  this  type  of  set  up  is  little  tricky.  A  branded  substrate  can  cause  problem  for  discus.  In  addition,  due  to  high  light,  dosing,  CO2  your  discus  can  be  stressed.  So  to  avoid  this  what’s  the  option?  The  only  option  is  to  keep  adult  discus  settling  in  this  type  of  environment.  I  know  many  planted  discus  keepers  who  keep  adult  discus  in  a  temporary  planted  set  up  and  if  a  discus  is  settled  enough  then  only  they  can  transfer  that  discus  to  the  main  planted  tank.  But  in  your  case  I  like  to  say  that  keep  4-4.5  inch+  (at  least)  discus.  As  you  know  adult  discus  is  having  more  resistance  power,  so  it  will  not  be  too  much  problem.  Also  one  thing  that  I  like  to  suggest  you,  In  case  of  hi-tech  planted  set  up  please  keep  discus  once  tank  is  fully  matured.  During  set  up  time  there  can  be  some  fluctuation  of  water  parameters  which  is  hazardous  to  discus.  You  may  say  that  in  many  cases  I  see  lots  of  other  strain  of  discus  housing  in  a  hi-tech  planted  tank.  In  most  of  the  cases  those  discus  are  kept  in  this  set  up  for  a  better  video  or  picture  purpose.

ii)  Fish  size  you’ll  choose  for  this  type  of  tank:
 Keeping  discus  in  a  planted  aquarium  is  not  like  keeping  discus  in  other  types  of  tank.  In  other  type  of  tanks  you  can  easily  keep  and  successfully  raise  2-.25  inch  discus.  But  for  planted  tank  I  suggest  you  to  keep  adult  discus.  As  we  all  know  adult  discus  can  adapt  more  than  juveniles.  So  keeping  4  inch  plus  discus  is  a  very  option  for  a  planted  tank.  Since  you  use  pressurised  CO2  (for  high-tech  set  up),  we’ll  often  find  juveniles  are  stressed  or  often  goes  top  level  of  water.  Discus  demands  more  oxygen  and  in  case  of  juveniles  they  need  more  than  adult.  That’s  one  of  the  reasons  to  choose  adult  discus  in  a  planted  tank.  From  my  previous  post  you  know  that  discus  will  live  better  in  a  group.  So  keeping  a  batch  of  4  inch  size  discus  will  be  no  problem  for  you.
Kuna
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:49 am Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Nice  info  bengalman   Thumb Up  ...  For  people  like  me  (new  to  Discuss)  its  really  helpful.
sanjoo24
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:28 am Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Great!  very  nice.   Thumb Up
Planthead
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:35 am Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Thanks  bengalman  for  informative  information..

My  planted  tank  is  high  teck,  but  settled  one  ....no  more  adding  of  plants.  Only  trimming  alternative  weeks.

My  only  concern  is  other  fishes  like  harlequin  and  serpe  tetra  are  competing  with  discus  for  food..

Already  removed  angel  and  dwarf  gourami....whether  I  should  remove  all  other  fishes  from  tank  or  can  I  train  discus  with  these  fishes  for  taking  food.
bengalman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:32 am Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

there's  a  tricky  part  to  add/introduce  smaller  fish  in  discus  tank.  though  i  personally  prefer  only  discus  in  the  tank,but  if  anyone  wants  to  keep  smaller  fishes  then  he/she  can  introduce  smaller  fish  before  the  discus  will  introduce.if  you  do  the  reverse  and  if  your  discus  are  big  enough  and  then  you  introduce  smaller  fish  then  those  smaller  fishes  will  be  snacks  for  discus  in  no  time.  i  had  a  bad  experience  of  it.

sarpae  tetra  is  a  fin  nipper,so  better  not  to  keep  it.
sanjoyraju
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:12 pm Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Very  nice  setup  Planthead.  I  would  say  the  discusses  and  the  environment  are  complimentary  to  each  other.  
 Good  job  Clapping  

Bengalman:  Thanks  for  your  tips,   very  informative  and  helpful  as  well  Thumb Up
Deba
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 am Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Excellent  setup.......very  green.....  Thumb Up
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 am Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Hello  folks,

Nothing  new.

This  is  discussed  lot  of  times  in  this  forum.

Also  Discus  in  Planted  Tank  BIG  NO.

Because  all  the  parameters  of  planted  tank  goes  against  King  of  Fish.

Light,  Co2,  Dosing,  Black  background  (maximum  cases)  etc.  etc.  

Size  ....in  Kolkata  (Near  GEM  Cinema)  I  have  seen  13  Discus  in  5'  planted  tank,  their  sizes  is  5.5  "-6".  It  was  shocking  me  to  see  their  health.  Last  year  his  tank  rank  in  IAPLC  also.  But  Discus  !!   Sad  
 I  saw  the  fis
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:11 am Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Nice  setup.
Sunny_2K_99
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:13 pm Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Thumb Up
Planthead
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:38 pm Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Thanks  guys  for  all  your  inputs  for  my  tank

Abhi,  i  read  in  this  forum   its  very  tough  to  maintain  discus  in  Planted  tank,  i  am  experiencing  now  the  same

from  my  busy  schedule,  dedicating  most  of  the  time  for  my  tank...not  even  to  my  daughter  like  this

let  me  try  this  one  time,  if  either  of  the  one  shows  bad  sign,  i  will  never  try  this  again  in  my  hobby.

abhis9  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hello  folks,

Nothing  new.

This  is  discussed  lot  of  times  in  this  forum.

Also  Discus  in  Planted  Tank  BIG  NO.

Because  all  the  parameters  of  planted  tank  goes  against  King  of  Fish.

Light,  Co2,  Dosing,  Black  background  (maximum  cases)  etc.  etc.  

Size  ....in  Kolkata  (Near  GEM  Cinema)  I  have  seen  13  Discus  in  5'  planted  tank,  their  sizes  is  5.5  "-6".  It  was  shocking  me  to  see  their  health.  Last  year  his  tank  rank  in  IAPLC  also.  But  Discus  !!   Sad  
 I  saw  the  fis                
Amazonian2010
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:29 pm Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

Effort  is  excellent  brother  but  the  outcome  is  not  so  good.  Here  in  IAH  we  are  hardliner  to  keep  healthy  fishes  in  our  tanks  and  the  experts  are  there  for  help.  

There  were  many  threads  which  had  many  debates  on  the  same  point  i.e.  "Keeping  Discuss  in  Planted  tank".  Over  a  period  of  time  few  were  able  to  achieve  it  by  sheer  determination  or  others  by  raising  them  in  BB  tank  and  transfer  them  in  the  lush  planted  tanks  for  some  time  and  photo  shoot.
 Our  fellow  IAHians  Ratheesh  is  keeping  a  planted  tanks  and  full  shape  discuss  in  them  for  quite  some  time  and  one  of  his  snaps  was  selected  in  out  official  calendar  in  ICON  Plc.

So,  hold  on..and  shift  your  fishes  in  a  BB  tank  and  keep  the  planted  as  usual  and  may  be  can  keep  some  neons..

Wait  till  experts  comment   Thumb Up
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: Discus in my planted tank Reply with quote

+  1  Amazonian2010.

Hi  Planthead,

Your  tank  is  really  nice.  But  in  second  picture  your  Discus  really  looks  sick.  Please  help  him.

Best  of  Luck.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: