140. Guest
141. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,735

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Osram Flourocent lightings
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Osram Flourocent lightings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting Equipment - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:29 pm Post subject: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

Was  planning  for  one  of  my  friends  planted  setup  with  flurocent   tubes.

Set  up  is  a  5  X  2  x  2  tank  with  wooden  hood

Got  to  hear  from  a  dealer  of  Osram  that  following  were  couple  of  list  of  tubes  usually  used  for  interior  bonsoi  culturing.  And  might  also  be  used  for  aquarium's.  Have  filtered  out  the  ones  that  did  not  have  a  good  spectral  distribution  on  blue  and  red  side.  

Dealer  promised  me  to  get  these  with  a  sligt  delay  if  not  readily  available.

1.  1  T8  2ft  Biolux  tube  ,  6500K  colour  temp  ,  CRI  >  90  ,  18W,   1000lmn
 2.  1  T8  2ft   Fluora  tube,   Fluora  colour  temp,   CRI  >  90,  18W  ,  550lmn
 3.  1  T8  2ft   Natura  tube,  3500K  colour  temp,  CRI  >  79,  18W,   700lmn
 4.  1  T8  2ft  lumilux  delux  tube,   5400K  colour  temp,  CRI  >  90,  18W,  1150lmn
 5.  1  T8  2ft  lumilux  sky  white  tube,   8000K  colour  temp,  CRI  >  85,  18W,   1300lm

I  searched  the  product  catalog  and  saw  that  these  were  listed  in  Osram's  universally  avaialable  products.

So  can  any  one  know  which  ones  are  the  best  ones  to  use.

I  was  looking  at  each  of  1,2,3  and  either  4  or  5.  Not  sure  if  dealer  can  give  me  1  pc  of  each  of  these.

Please  suggest  my  friend  with  correct  combination.

I  remember  one  of  Madan's  mail  which  suggested  using  different  colour  temp  tubes.

Raghu
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:31 am Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

rgg  wrote  (View  Post):                
Was  planning  for  one  of  my  friends  planted  setup  with  flurocent  Â tubes.
 Please  suggest  my  friend  with  correct  combination.
 I  remember  one  of  Madan's  mail  which  suggested  using  different  colour  temp  tubes.
 Raghu                

It  would  surely  help  if  you  suggest  to  your  friend  the  following.
 Become  a  active  member  of  ASK  (and   IAH)
 Be  a  friendly  and  regular  participant  in  its  activities.
 Visit  and  have  a  look  at  the  planted  tanks  of  the  hobbyists  in  Bangalore.
 There  are  quite  a  few  ASK  guys  with  beautiful   planted  tanks  in  Bangalore  who  do  not  use  the  internet.
 It  would  also  stop  the  obsessive  urge  to  reinvent  the  wheel.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:04 pm Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

HI  trevor,
   Yeh!!!  I  did  suggest  him  to  get  into  IAH,  And  attend  ASK  regualarly  to  gain  more  knowledge  in  this  hobby.

Since  i  did  not  see  any  or  recall  any  thread  mentioning  about  these  Osram  tubes  hence  i  am  posting  this  query.
    Has  any  one  used  these  if  so  their  experiences  should  make  new  hobbiests  make  an  ideal  judgement  on  light  section  when  it  comes  to  fulrocent  tubes.

Raghu
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:56 am Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

Just  keeping  the  thread  alive....

Dealer  told  me  that  all  the  tube  are  available  and  can  be  provided  in  3  days  time.  Fluora  and  natura  tubes  are  double  the  price  as  compared  to  the  others  itseems.
   So  guys  please  help  me  make  a  right  decision  on  selecting  the  tubes  .....

Raghu
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:06 pm Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

Hi  Raghu

Arent  these  tubes  available  in  4  ft.  Can  you  also  let  me  know  which  dealer  did  you  go  to.
      Well  for  a  planted  tank  would  recomend  the  6500k,  5400k,  8000k.  I  belive  that  the  flora  tubes  are  good  but  havent  personally  used  it.

regards
       Harshal.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:24 pm Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

HI  Harshal,

These  were  available  in  4  ft  also,  Infact  couple  of  them  were  readily  available  in  4ft  but  i  wanted  the  2  ft  ones,  I  got  this  from  my  driver's  friend  who  is  a  sales  person  in  one  of  the  Osram's  dealer  stores  in  SP  road..
 The  ones  that  were  readily  available  in  4ft  were  the  following.

T8   Fluora   tube,     Fluora   colour   temp,     CRI   >   90,   18W   ,   550lmn  
 T8   lumilux-delux   tube,     5400K   colour   temp,   CRI   >   90,   18W,   1150lmn  
 T8   lumilux   sky   white   tube,     8000K   colour   temp,   CRI   >   85,   18W,     1300lm  

Not  sure  about  Biolux  can  enquire  it  for  you.
 You  can  also  PM  me  for  prices  if  you  want  it,  Will  take  a  day  to  get  it.

Note  that  i  selected  these  based  on  the  spectral  distribution  which  were  mainly  spiked  in  the  blue  and  the  red  range.

Raghu
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:31 am Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

Hi  raghu  

Thanks  for  the  info  needed  some  more.  Please  check  your  pm.

Thanks
       Harshal.
aditi
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:11 pm Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

I'm  Having  a  3  Ft  planted  tank  what  should  be  the  lighting  arrangement.  All  tubes  available  are  4  ft.  Some  tube  are  2  ft  also  but  not  more  than  18  W.  what  do  i  do.  I  live  in  Kolkata.  Please  help  with  make  and  watt  of  the  correct  light.

Aditi
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:02 pm Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

Is  it  like  that,  for  metal  halides,  do  you  need  the  same  wattage  per  gallon(US),  i.e.  3  to  5  watt.

Metal  hallides  have  good  penetration  power,  so  what   could  be  the  equation  watt/gallon(US),  for  metal  halides  in  comparison  to  normal  FL.  

At  the  same  time  why  we  are  calculating  the  entire  volume  of  a  tank  for  wattage  calculation.  Should  not  we  calculate  only  the  water  volume  instead  of  tank  volume!  

I  am  using  two  70  watts  metal  halides  (6500K)  in  my  4  x  1.5  x  1.75  tank  and  most  of   the  plants  are  pearling.

Regards
 Rana
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kuksinhyd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:27 pm Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

Hi  Raghu,  
 taking  the  tank  size  into  account(approx  150G)  you  would  require  300w,  450W,  600W  for  low,  medium,  high  light  requiring  plants  respectively.
 I  suggest  u  go  in  for  MH  as  the  cost  and  coreesponding  weight  using  FL's  will  be  prohibitive  -  much  much  more  than  MH's.  You  can  get  5200K  150W  MH  from  phillips  and  i  beleive  Osram  has  5400K  150W  MH  Lamps.  Or  you  could  try  out  the  new  high  wattage  CFL's  (Oreva  /  Havells)  have  85W  CFL's  priced  about  500.00  each

All  the  best
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:57 pm Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

Hi

@aditi

Why  don't  yo  try  pll's  you  get  36w  PLL's  from  Samson  in  7200k,  6000k,  4000k.  You  can  mix  and  match  acording  to  your  requirements,  Ideal  would  be  2  7200k  and  2  6000k.  You'll  need  about  4  PLL's  for  your  tank.  You  can  place  2  Pll's  in  a  row  making  2  coloumns  of  lights.

@Rana

With  MH  the  penetration  of  light  is  deeper  but  you'll  require  same  amount  of  wattage,  also  there  is  a  limiting  factor  that  these  bulbs  come  only  in  150  or  70  w.  Yes  you  are  right  you  only  need  to  calculate  the  volume  of  water  and  not  the  entire  tank.  Since  your  plants  are  pearling  and  I  am  asuming  showing  good  healthy  growth  your  lights  are  sufficent.
    @  kuksinhyd

Well  there  are  pros  and  cons  to  MH  1  problem  I  feel  is  its  limiting  in  terms  of  Kelveins  it  offers  since  you  get  it  only  in  5200  or  5400k  its  dominating  to  the  red  frequency  of  light  not  much  on  the  warmer  blus  side.  I  guess  its  a  matter  of  preference.  As  for  puting  600w  of  light  in  a  150  gal  tank  I  would  never  do  that  it  will  surely  cause  more  trouble  rather  than  benefits  to  the  plants.

Regards
         Harshal.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:59 am Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

Hey!!!

One  should  not  go  by  the  wattage  alone,  The  parametrs  to  be  checked  would  be  lux  and  the  penetration,  CRI,  Colour  temp.  Also  note  that  T5  tubes  in  the  market  today  out  compete  MH's.  

MH's  are  significantly  power  hungry,  Note  that  the  power  consumed  by  MH  is  not  only  in  the  tube  but  an  additional  30-40%  is  also  consumed  by  ballast  and  is  dessipated  as  heat.  So  a  150W  MH  means  (150W  +  45-50W)  of  power  consumed.

Where  as  T5  tubes  or  T8  tubes  with  Electronic  ballast  is  say  a  14W  tube  would  consume  (14W+  2W  in  ballast).

Also  note  that  CRI  of  T5  tubes  available  in  market  are  close  to  90  where  as  CRI  of  MH  is  in  the  vicinity  of  80-85.

Also  MH's  are  5-6K  kelvin  rated  where  as  T5  osram  commonly  avilable  are  6.5K  kelvin  +  rated.
 Commonly  available  T8's  are  avilable  in  8K  kelvin  ratings.

On  a  lux  comaprision,  i  suppose  5  T5's  is  equvivalent  to  a  MH.  hence  one  can  see  a  lot  of  power  savings  here.

Raghu
ks
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:48 pm Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

Venki25  ,  r  u  listening  to  this????

Pls  put  forward  your  exp  in  using  T5's  in  your  planted  tanks  and  the  results...!!!!

I  think  u  have  a  lot  of  info  to  share.....
venki25
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:31 pm Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

well  i'm  just  a  beginner  and  have  only  experienced  with  T5  and  PL  lights.  I  do  not  have  a  first  hand  experience  of  T8  lights.

without  quoting  lux,  CRI  and  K  -  i  think  T5  are  the  best  for  performance.  But  look  at  the  availability.  You  can  get  retrofits  with  T5  lamps,  but  where  are  the  options  for  bulbs.  I  want  to  change  two  bulbs  to  suit  my  kelvin  range  and  absolutely  helpless  due  to  non  availability.  

also  i  need  to  mention  that  the  power  consumption  and  heat  release  of  T5s  against   PL  is  far  more  superior.  With  less  wattage  i  have  had  fore  ground  plants  pearling.  

I  was  offered  a  four  feet  fitting  with  8  T5  lamps  at  a  killer  deal  at  aquasstar.  But  he  was  not  able  to  offer  bulbs  to  my  requirement.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:00 pm Post subject: Re: Osram Flourocent lightings Reply with quote

Venky!!!!!
   Osram  dealers  in  bangalore  always  have  the  T5  HO  in  4ft  and  2ft  T5  HOc  and  HOe  readily  available.  The  cost  of  tubes  are  pretty  much  nearer  to  175/-  a  piece  for  2ft.  

Thanks  to  Harshal  who  mentioned  about  these  a  few  months  back,  And  in  my  quest  was  able  to  find  these.  These  have  now  gone  to  my  planted  tank  and  the  earlier  2ft  ones  are  in  my  6ft  tank.

Ratings  of  these  are  

CRI  90,  6500K,  1850lmn,  14watt,  T5Hoc,  Marginal  on  red  and  good  on  blue  specturm,  termed  as  lumilux  from  Osram.

There  is  another  comapny  called  Coralife  who  has  the  10K,  T5  lightings.  which  are  also  available  in  BVK  iyengar  road  on  a  request  basis.  But  the  order  for  him  has  to  be  bulk  to  get  it  here  itseems  and  costs  us  some  where  close  to  300-350.

He  told  me  he  will  enquire  about  coralife  20K  tubes.  But  have  read  some  were  in  Tom  barrs  postings  that  the  >  10K  lights  tend  to  become  yellowish  once  aged  and  has  posted  to  limit  the  colour  temp  to  10K.

Regards
 Raghu
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting Equipment - General All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: