58. Guest
59. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,804

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Building A Marine Aquarium
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Building A Marine Aquarium
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Other Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aav16
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:29 am Post subject: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

Hi  All,
             I  am  building  a  Marine  aquarium  Size  L=6'  W=2'  H=2.5'  with  a  L3'  W1.5'  H1.5'  Sump(suggestion  on  sump  design  &  Overflow  design  also  needed  have  a  few  thoughts  in  mind)and  metal  stand.
             Recoomendation  i  got  for  the  tank  is  15mm  glass  i  asked  3  LFS  and  i  got  three  different  rates  5k  from  2  different  shops  just  for  the  tank  without  the  sump.  The  first  told  me  this  rate  with  12  mm  glass   and  the  same  rate  with  15  mm  glass  and  the  guy  who  i  usually  go  to  told  me  12.5k  with  15  mm  glass.  
               Now  i  am  bit  confused  Crying or Very sad   and  i  need  help  with  Lfs  in  Bangalore  that  expertise  in  marine  aquarium  making.
             Here  what  i  think  for  an  aquarium  that  size  i'll  need  15mm  glass  or  do  i  need  more  thickness.
      SO  pls  pour  in  your  suggestions  with  the  pricing  and  glass  thickness  and  quality  and  people  who  can  get  it  done  for  me  .....Thank  all  again.  Smile
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

Aavi,
 Pradeep  has  mentioned  once  and  I  mention  it  here  'twice'
 We  DON'T  encourage  price  comparisions  here  on  IAH  so  please  refrain  from  posting  prices  on  the  forum.
 now,  regarding  the  size  of  your  tank  I  would  like  to  make  a  simple  suggestion  YES,  15mm  is  the  way  to  go  if  you  are  planning  a  height  of  2.5'  as  the  water  pressure  will  be  withstood  better  by  the  extra  thickness  of  the  glass.
 Now,  there  are  only  a  few  glass  manufacturers  who  have  now  started  making  15mm  and  19mm  glass  here  in  India  so  the  prices  of  these  glass  have  gone  down  -  simpler  solution  to  this  would  be  to  go  around  to  the  glass  dealer  in  your  city  and  enquire  for  the  glass  rate/sq.ft  and  then  calculate  as  to  how  many  sq.ft.  of  glass  will  you  require  -  after  you  know  the  glass  rate  you  will  definitely  come  to  know  how  much  extra  the  LFS  is  charging  you  and  likewise  decide  who  is  a  better  bet.
 HTH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:32 pm Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

In  addition  to  what  Nauzer  said  ,  might  I  add,  a  2.5'  tall  aquarium  is  going  to  be  a  real  PITA.

For  starters,  cleaning  and  maintenance  is  going  to  be  real  hard  unless  you  have  abnormally  long  hands.
 And  if  you  are  going  the  reef  way  with  this  tank,  you  will  need  some  pretty  powerful  metal  halide  lighting  for  it.  Expect  a  very  high  electricity  bill  then.

Try  keep  it  under  2'  for  both  the  above  mentioned  reasons.
aav16
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:48 pm Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

Ok  will  take  up  the  suggestion  and  i  dont  plan  on  keeping  a  reef  aquarium.now  you  have  got  me  thinking  Sad  .well  i  alwasy  thought  that  tall  tanks  are  very  visually  appealing.will  give  it  a  thought  predeep  thanks.
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:10 pm Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

Hi  Avi,
    What  type  of  marine  setup  are  you  going  in  for?
 Fish  only
 fish  only  with  live  rocks
 Reef(shallow)
 reef  (mixed  garden)
 ect

Rahul
aav16
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:06 am Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

Hi  rahul,
    I  was  thinking  of  a  fish  only  with  live  rocks....and  have  to  make  a  stand  that  can  with  stand  all  that  weight  cos  i  intent  on  putting  in  a  150kg  of  live  rock  and  want  to  use  a  sand  based  substrate  but  its  not  a  hard  and  fast  rule  am  open  to  any  kind  of  suggestions  Thumbs Up
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:17 am Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

You  will  need  atleast  2-3  time  the  of  live  rocks  than  what  you  suggested,  Imagine  the  cost!!
 If  you  are  a  newbie  to  marine  i  would  suggest  you  go  in  for  something  smaller.

Rahul
aav16
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:23 am Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

But  i  read  in  a  few  forums  that  you  have  to  put  1  -  1.5  pounds  per  gallon  of  water  and  somewhere  i  read  putting  too  much  of  live  rock  is  not  good.Is  it  true?well  i  did  a  little  research  regarding  all  the  equipment  and  stuff  on  the  net  and  read  about  filteration  and  stuff.
   Â   Â   Oh  and  yes  i  am  newbie  to  marine  aquariums  have  been  keeping  freshwater  for  5  years  now  i  have  a  4'  1.5'  1.5'  tanks  with  Fluval  205  cannister  and  UGF  and  inhabitants  are  piranahs(NOT  pacu)Have  5  of  these  fellows  fro  2  yrs  now.
   Â   Â   I  know  about  the  cost  of  the  aquarium  well  i  am  doing  it  in  parts  wont  be  buying  evrything  at  a  shot.probably  will  take  around  6  -  7  months  for  the  whole  project  to  complete  Smile.well  as  far  as  equipment  is  concerne  got  evrything  except  for  the  skimmer  next  is  the  tank,stand  and  the  sump  then  will  be  the  lighting,will  do  all  the  connection  then  probably  get  the  salt,substarte  and  live  rock.so  evrytime  i  am  goin  to  get  something  new  will  post  it  here  and  will  be  posting  pics  of  the  setup  too...

Last edited by aav16 on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:11 pm Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

Get  the  skimmer  a  little  bigger  than  actually  needed..
 Also  if  possible,  get  a  custom  made  wooden  stand  if  you  can,  always  better  for  saltwater.

Quote:                
 probably  will  take  around  6  -  7  months  for  the  whole  project  to  complete                  

Thumb Up  

For  the  sump  design,  do  share  it  with  an  image,  people  will  be  able  to  help  you  better.
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:37 pm Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

check  out  the  below  link
 intresting  read  
 "http://www.wetwebmedia.com/tksizmattersart.htm"

Quote:                
somewhere  i  read  putting  too  much  of  live  rock  is  not  good.Is  it  true?                

reduces  water  capacity  and  difficult  to  get  rid  of  dead  spots

rahul
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:48 pm Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

I  would  suggest  a  6  by  2  by  2!  You  could  do  this  with  12mm.

Increasing  the  heioght  to  2.5  would  be  great,  but  then  you  would  need  15mm  glass.  

However  you  do  it,  I  would  suggest  a  low  stand,  thats  about  1  foot  tall.  Looks  very  nice,  and  is  much  easier  to  setup  and  maintain.

The  only  downsde  would  be  that  you  will  have  to  place  the  sump  beside  the  tank,  and  you  cannot  keep  it  below  it.  Its  a  lot  more  advisable  this  way,  IMO.

You  would  need  quita  a  few  pumps  inside  the  tank,  for  some  good  water  circulation.  And  you  would  need  a  minimum  of  two  150  Watt  Metal  Halide  lamps,  though  I  would  go  in  for  two  250Watt  MH.

When  you  look  at  those  pictures  of  stunning  disply  tanks  posted  on  the  internet,  please  do  take  time  to  look  at  the  equipment  ued,  and  maintenance  followed,  and  decide  if  you  can  afford  to  buy  good  equipment  and  also  handle  the  whole  maintenance  regime.  There  are  no  shortcuts  or  substitutes,  IMO.  Do  it  the  right  way,  and  you  will  be  rightly  rewarded.
aav16
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:39 pm Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

Hi  All  thanks  for  all  the  input  really  helps
 I  did  check  out  that  website  have  been  there  before  havent  readd  all  the  articles  yet  but  i  got  most  of  the  ideas  regarding  equipment  form  there

Regarding  metal  halide,  I  thought  they  are  just  required  for  reef  setups  and  i  am  not  going  for  a  reef  set  up  right  now  maybe  later  i  might  think  about  it.
 I  wanted  to  keep  the  stand  low  intially  then  came  to  know  about  the  sump,  I  am  thinking  of  a  3'  1.5'  1.5'  sump  is  that  enough  to  support  this  size  of  a  tank?,so  i  have  to  kepe  the  sump  below  the  tank.the  stand  part  the  metal  are  cheapand  the  wooden  ones  are  expensive.have  to  ask  a  few  carpenters  about  it  and  need  people  experienced  with  making  an  aquarium  stand.easiest  way  is  the  LFS  they  do  it  as  a  set,  but  a  few  i  asked  only  deal  with  metal  stands.

Regarding  the  equipment  i  have  bought  an  EHEIM  1262  (3400l/h)  one  for  the  sump  to  the  tank  and  EHEIM  1002  Compact  Pump  (1000l/h)  four  of  these  for  circulation  and  a  Jager  300w  heater  now  what  i  need  is  a  protien  skimmer.  Dont  want  make  mistakes  on  that  so  i  have  to  check  out  Mr  Rajarams  place  in  mg  rd  regarding  that.Checked  out  shivajinagar  though  he  was  qouting  a  very  high  price  PLs  do  suggest  if  i  need  anything  more  for  my  setup.
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:06 pm Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

Iron  stands  rust  like  crazy  with  all  the  salt  around.  You  had  better  get  some  carpenter  to  make  you  a  wooden  stand.  

The  pump  and  powerheads  seem  good  enough  for  the  job.  You  will  lose  quite  a  bit  of  flow  with  height  as  you  pump  the  water  back  into  the  tank  so  account  for  that  while  building  the  stand.

You  don't  really  need  a  heater  in  a  marine  tank,  not  in  Bangalore  anyway.
 Still  might  come  in  handy  sometieme  or  the  other.
aav16
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:54 am Post subject: Re: Building A Marine Aquarium Reply with quote

ok  finally  i  have  come  to  decision  that  i'll  go  witha  2'  height,  with  all  the  suggestions  it  seems  wiser,cheaper  and  feesable  for  everything.  I  just  have  to  use  12  mm  glass  then  right  or  shoudl  it  be  15  mm.and  hey  about  the  glue  i  have  seen  some  people  using  the  black  glue  or  transperent  glue(not  sure  of  the  color)  one  LFS  said  that  if  the  glass  crack  you  cant  repair  it  once  that  glue  is  used.Is  this  True?but  it  gives  a  good  finish  to  the  aquarium.and  some  were  saying  polished  and  grinded  glass.What  does  that  mean?
 About  the  sump  is  the  size  ok?
 The  heater  seen  some  of  the  websites  recommending  it.thast  why  i  got  it.

I'll  be  posting  teh  sump  designs  in  a  while  again  collected  it  form  a  website  and  hey  about  overflows  should  i  use  2  overflows  with  one  inch  pipe  or  just  one  is  enough  cos  i  think  i'll  have  to  place  the  order  for  that  too  while  oredering  the  aquarium?or  do  you  get  acrylic  overflows  here?
 Thanks  for  the  input  all  this  forum  really  rocks  !  !  !   Thumbs Up  Getting  a  lot  of  help  &  ides.  Clapping
shanky
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:34 pm Post subject: hi friends Reply with quote

in  my  home,  i  setup  one  marine  tank  its  really  good  conditions..if  anybody  wants  to  see  m  tank  pic..reply  to  me..i  will  send  it  to  u...but  v  have  arrange  chiller  and  proper  filteration  and  multi  skimmer  with  UV  ...its  good  for  live  rocks  and  fishes
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Other Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: