117. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,825

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My New Tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My New Tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rajesh1507
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:41 pm Post subject: My New Tank Reply with quote

Hi,  

Just  wanted  to  share  some  photos  of  my  new  Fish  Tank  which  i  installed  5  days  ago.  I  plan  to  start  with  a  few  tetras  and  shark  and  graduate  eventually  to  Discus.  The  dimensions  are  (approx)  6'  x  2.5'  x  2.5'.(fraont  convex)  

I  welcome  suggestions  from  experts  on  the  size  and  type  of  Discus  I  should  add.  

Regards  /  Rajesh
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:28 am Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

Welcome  to  IAH  Friend.  Smile  
 Nice  sized  tank.  It  seems  to  be  kept  directly  on  the  floor.
 If  that  is  the  case,  it  is  dangerous.  
 I  would  suggest  keeping  a  3"  thermocole  sheet  beneath  the  tank,  this  normally  takes  care  of  any  pressure  that  is  put  on  the  bottom  of  the  tank
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:54 am Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Rajesh,  Welcome  to  IAH.

Take  Sandeep's  advice  and  put  in  some  thermocole  or  styrafoam  sheet  underneath  the  tank,  if  you  are  planning  to  let  it  remain  on  the  floor.  

Read  about  Fishless  cycling  and  the  nitrogen  cycle.  Add  your  fishes  slowly  and  take  time  to  graduate  to  discus.
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:59 am Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Rajesh

Welcome  to  IAH!  Very  nice  tank!  Will  make  a  beautiful  display.  I  second  sandeep.  One  more  suggestion  would  recommend  that  you  get  a  stand  made  for  this  tank  that  way  viewing  will  be  more  comfortable,  rather  than  squatting  on  the  floor  to  see  the  tank.  Another  thing  is  the  filtration  system  for  a  tank  this  size  the  one  that  I  can  see  in  the  photo  will  not  be  enough.  You  need  to  get  a  filter  that  can  circulate  about  4  times  the  volume  of  your  tank  per  hour.
    I  would  recommend  you  go  through  some  old  threads  on  the  forums  and  get  an  Idea  of  what  exactly  you  need  to  do.

All  the  Best!

Regards
   Harshal
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:16 pm Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

If  your  keeping  discus  for  the  first  time  i  would  advice  you  not  to  put  them  in  this  tank..instead  buy  a  3  footer,keep  it  bare  bottom  with  a  sponge  filter  and  buy  about  8  juviniles  from  a  good  breeder  and  grow  them  out  instead..
 Buying  adults  for  a  first  timer  is  just  not  the  way  to  go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rajesh1507
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:19 pm Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

Thanks  for  all  the  feedback  and  suggestions.

1.  I've  put  a  layer  of  foam  under  the  tank  and  cut  it  along  the  Boundary  of  the  tank.  Hence  it  is  not  seen.  But,  point  noted.  I'll  check  with  an  expert  and  see  if  the  foam  I've  placed  is  enough  as  a  cushion,  or  if  I  would  need  some  more.

2.  I  plan  to  have  a  Flat  TV  above  the  tank  (LCD  or  Plasma)  and  the  view  from  my  sitting  area  is  perfect.  Hence  i  would  not  want  to  raise  the  tank  any  more.

3.  Will  read  up  on  the  Filter  and  enhance  the  capacity.

4.  What  do  others  think  about  sharks  with  Discus?  Not  a  good  idea.  I've  got  2  Albinos  and  1  Silver  shark.

Regards  /  Rajesh
jayachandrak
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:35 pm Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

Rajesh,

The  tank  looks  very  neat.     Though  having  stand  for  the  tank  is  preferred,  I  personally  like  the  idea  of  having  it  below  the  TV  Smile

where  are  you  from?   

Cheers,
 Jai
rajesh1507
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:48 pm Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

Mumbai
rajesh1507
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:28 pm Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

Is  there  any  problem  in  keeping  Discus  in  planted  tanks?.

And  do  sharks  make  good  tank  mates  for  Discus?  (I  have  2  Albinos  and  1  silver  shark)

Regards/Rajesh
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:30 pm Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

Welcome  to  the  group  Sir!   Thumb Up  
 Some  personal  suggestions:
 1)  READ  a  lot  about  Discus  first!  We  have  a  lot  of  highly  usefull  stuff  in  the  discus  forums  here,  definitely  go  through  it.
 2)  I  dont  know  whether  you  have  already  read,  but  do  read  about  aquarium  cycling.
 3)  Do  not  put  the  popular  "tiger  sharks"  in  this  tank.
 4)  You  could  try  with  some  really  tall  plastic  plants  with  rocks,  the  tank  looks  kind  of  weird  with  blue  background  and  green,  red  plants.  (personal  choice  though)
 5)  Always  keep  the  filter  ON.
 6)  Incase  any  trouble,  all  are  there  to  help!
siddhartha_biswas
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:00 pm Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

Do  take  care  about  the  Water  pressure  created  by  the  Power  Filters...  Discus  can't  stand  that  much  water  pressure...  So  it  will  be  better  if  you  can  use  some  Filter  which  will  be  able  to  create  less  pressure  for  the  tank..

Cheers!!!
 Siddhartha

Happy  Fish  Keeping
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
surya_niki
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:47 pm Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Rajesh,

I  dont  think  that  discus  will  do  good  with  any  kind  of  shark  which  is  for  afact  that,  sharks  are  brisk  and  fast  swimmers  than  discus.  They  could  easily  hurt  them  while  swimming  in  the  manner  they  do.

I  had  sharks  with  discus  a  year  ago  and  lost  all  discus  due  to  to  the  bumping  of  the  sharks  into  them.

This  is  what  I  think  and  had  experienced.  It  may  not  be  the  same  with  others.

Regards,
 Surya
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:56 pm Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

Hello  Rajesh,  

IMHO  the  tank  that  you  have  would  be  very  well  suited  for  a  planted  tank  /  cichlid  tank  and  would  be  a  kill  for  discus,  discus  do  well  in  small  tanks  and  taking  into  consideration  the  care  you  need  to  give  to  discus  which  might  not  be  a  good  idea  with  a  tank  of  that  size.

Consider  a  broader  option  of  other  hardy  fishes  if  not  Discus,  there  are  lots  of  varities  that  can  entertain  you.  You  can  keep  discus  in  a  3ftr  as  suggested  by  toomanyfish  in  a  corner  of  your  readingroom  /  bedroom  maybe.

Just  think  over  it  and  you  would  be  surprised  with  the  options  that  you  can  get.   Thumb Up  

Cheers
 Ravi
Karthick
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:34 pm Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

One  more  reason  for  avoiding  Discus  in  such  a  tank  (?)  :

Discus  require  more  frequent  water  changes  which  might  prove  to  be  difficult  with  a  T.V  just  above  the  tank...(You  might  splash  water  on  the  T.V)...Moreover,  it  isnt  a  good  idea  placing  your  Tank  so   close  to  your  T.V,  as  blaring  sounds  might  stress  the  fish!  Discus  Gurus  please  reprobate  me  if  i'm  wrong...  Smile  

...Karthick

I'd  go  for  a  lone  large  central  american  cichlid  like  a  Dovii  or  maybe  a  couple  of  Fire  Oscars  if  i  were  you.(Thats  so  like  me   Chuckle   Chuckle   )
rajesh1507
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:42 am Post subject: Re: My New Tank Reply with quote

What  other  options  do  you  suggest.  I  love  color  and  want  my  tank  to  be  full  of  colorful  fish.  Discus  seems  to  be  the  only  type  which  gives  me  variety  in  color.

Again  I  like  fish  which  are  active.  Not  the  ones  who  lie  in  1  corner  of  the  tank.

Regards  /  Rajesh
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: