116. Guest
117. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,430

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - drawings for proposed six footer
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

drawings for proposed six footer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishysai
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:13 am Post subject: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

hii  guys

i  am  planning  to  setup  a  six  foot  planted  tank...  i  will  be  starting  from  scratch  and  work  on  this  project  hopefully  by  this  week..  i  am  already  in  the  process  of  collecting  bits  and  pieces  of  important  'know  how'..  as  always..  i  could  use  all  the  input  that  i  can  get...  not  only  regarding  the  design  but  also  anything  and  everything  i  might  need  to  know  :)

anyway..  coming  to  the  context  of  this  post..

i  had  been  quite  jobless  over  the  last  couple  of  days,  so  i  decided  to  make  sketches  of  the  kind  of  design  i  had  in  mind...  that  and  a  limited  knowledge  of  2  and  3d  software  resulted  in  the  following..  :)

please  share  your  views  regarding  the  same  Smile
fishysai
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:16 am Post subject: drawings for proposed six footer contd. Reply with quote

here  is  the  design  for  the  canopy..

thanks  a  tonne

regards

sai
msghael
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:35 am Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

Sorry  fishysai,  can't  see  any  imag  or  link
 Maninder
fishysai
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:17 am Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

Sir
 i  just  rechecked  and  the  post  seems  to  work  sir...  i  was  able  to  see  the  attachments  on  moz,  IE  and  also  chrome...   i  did  notice  that  i  had  to  be  logged  in  to  be  able  to  see  the  images  though..

anyway...  here  is  the  link  to  the  original  images

aquarium  sketches

thank  you
AMITNOIDA
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:57 am Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

Thanks  Fishysai  for  your  drawings.  What  kind  of  hinges  you  plan  to  use  in  the  top  plate  (holding  T5s)  for  opening  upwards?  Specially  in  case  of  Marine  tank?

Thanks
fishysai
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:34 am Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

hi  Amit

well..  i  have  a  few  options  in  mind  for  the  top  plate  hinge..  the  first  one  was  those  auto  close  hinges  found  on  cupboard  doors..  but  it  might  be  a  drawback  that  the  open  and  close  with  a  jerk..  that  could  cause  the  bulbs  to  break...

so  option  two  was  to  have  normal  hinges  and  maybe  attach  one  of  those  hydraulic  things  (like  the  ones  found  in  car  rear  doors,  the  smaller  version  of  it  )  so  that  it  can  be  opened  and  closed  pretty  smoothly  Smile
 i  do  have  to  check  with  the  carpenter  regarding  what  would  work  best  though..  :)

and  btw,  keeping  budget  and  availability  in  mind,  and  taking  suggestions  from  a  friend,  i  think  i  would  opt  for  normal  four  foot  T8  bulbs  for  the  setup..  and  i  think  around  ten  of  those  could  be  fit  in  there..
 that  roughly  would  give  and  approximate  3  WPG  for  the  plants  Smile
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:18 am Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

Sai  -  Good  work,  looks  impressive,  hope  you  find  a  carpenter  who  can  give  you  the  same  output.

Just  ensure  you  have  openings  on  either  ends  of  the  hood  for  placing  fans.

Would  suggest  you  have  a  look  at  Venkats  hood.  

Cheers
 Prem
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:39 pm Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

Sai
 Nice  drawings.  Hope  it  will  help  others  too.  Don't  forget  to  post  details  after  the  completions  of  your  projects.  All  the  best  Thumb Up  .
 Regards
 Kaushik
honey_moksh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:13 pm Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

Just  a  question  on  lighting:  The  way  I  see  you  are  planning  to  use  4  feet  tube  lights  due  to  which  you  will  have  overlapping  of  2  feet  in  the  center..  obviously  the  intensity  would  be  higher  there,  do  you  think  it  will  be  cause  any  issue,…  as  with  my  limited  experience  (mine  is  a  much  smaller  tank)  the  plants  tend  to  grow  towards  the  higher  intensity  which  may  spoil  your  layout  i.e.  the  plants  at  the  corner  keep  moving  towards  the  center  not  growing  straight  up..
fishysai
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:19 pm Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

guys..  thanks  loads  for  those  comments  :)

@  prem...  yup..  i  am  keeping  my  fingers  tightly  crossed  and  desperately  looking  for  a  carpenter..  Very Happy
 one  that  can  do  a  decent  job  and  not  charge  the  earth  for  it  Smile
 and  regarding  the  fans..  i  already  kept  that  piece  of  advice  in  mind  Wink   can  you  see  those  little  squares  on  the  sides  of  the  tank..  well  those  are  meant  to  be  ducts  for  fans  :D

@  kaushik..  thanks  a  tonne..  and  yes..  i  will  definitely  keep  you  guys  posted  with  regard  to  the  developments..
 i  am  sure  i  will  definitely  need  a  lot  of  advice  and  support  as  i  keep  proceeding  with  the  project..  :)

@  harpreeth...  i  originally  planned  to  go  for  five  footers  each  running  parallel  to  the  other  through  the  whole  length  of  the  tank...  but  keeping  a  few  factors  in  mind,  prem  suggested  this  sort  of  an  overlapping  four  footer  setup  for  the  lighting..  and  if  i  am  not  wrong,  both  prem  and  Mr.Venket  are  both  using  this  sort  of  arrangement,  and  as  u  can  see...  seems  to  work  real  gud  for  them  ;)

thanks  again..
 and  please  keep  them  commente  coming  :)

regards

sai
Neelesh
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:42 pm Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

Hi  Sai,

I  am  using  10  T8s  overlapped  under  my  hood.  I  do  see  plants  on  the  right  and  left  of  the  tank  tend  to  lean  towards  the  centre  which  has  a  higher  light  intensity.  However  in  my  tank  only  the  cabomba  and  the  hygro  species  show  this  behaviour.  The  amazons,  aponogetons  and  the  lately  planted  nuphar  japonica  seem  to  be  growing  straight  up.
fishysai
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:09 am Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

hi  Neelesh,
    sorry  for  the  delayed  response,  net  was  down  all  day  Sad
 anyway..  thanks  loads  for  that  bit  of  info...  i  shall  keep  that  in  mind  and  also  do  a  bit  more  homework  as  to  what  could  be  done  regarding  the  lights...

thanks

regards

Sai
msghael
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:19 am Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

Hi  Sai,
 I  can  now  see  the  pics  in  the  post.  It's  a  nice  concept.  An  extremely  innovative  and  high  end  concept  and  a  good  one.  I  would  however  suggest  the  following  :

Check  the  net  for  a  glass  thickness  calculator.  I  used  one  such  calculator  for  calculating  the  thickness  of  my  4x2x2  tank  and  I  have  not  used  any  braces.  The  centre  braces  makes  vacuuming  the  gravel  inconvinient.

When  finalising  the  hood  you  would  need  to  keep  in  mind  that  the   regular  maintenance  work  such   vacuuming,  trimming,  replanting  etc  will  become  a  weekly  affair  specially  with  3  w/g  when  the  plants  will  grow  very  very  fast.  Needless  to  say  the  ply  for  the  wood  would  be  water  proof.  

Paint  the  inside  with  a  wood  promer  and  line  it  with  an  aluminium  foil

Regards
 Maninder
fishysai
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:48 am Post subject: Re: drawings for proposed six footer Reply with quote

@  maninder
 thank  you  for  your  comments   sir..  :)

1)  regarding  the  glass,  i  did  do  a  bit  of  looking  around  and  found  that  most  articles  i  checked  out  suggested  the  use  of  both  longitudnal  and  cross  braces..  Sad  i  was  planning  on  using  1.5  inch  wide  glass  for  thlongitudnal  and  maybe  3  inch  for  the  cross  braces..
 coming  to  the  stability  of  the  glass,  the  minimum  recomended  thickness  for  the  given  dimensions  and  for  a  normal  safety  factor  of  about  3.5  itself  is  twelve  mm...  so  if  i  have  to  compensate  for  the  removal  of  the  braces,  i  might  have  to  double  (?)  the  safety  factor  and  that  results  in  the  recomended  usage  of  15  or  17  mm  glass..  Sad
 so  with  the  availability  and  budget  in  mind,  i  think  i  will  have  to  go  for  12  mm  glass  and  the  braces  that  come  along  with  the  package  Sad(
 well...   the  other  option  would  be  to  go  for  toughened  glass,  which  is  about  five  times  stronger  than  our  nomal  float  glass..  but  the  drawback  of  that  is  that  nothing  more  can  be  one  with  the  glass  after  it  has  been  toughened..  not  even  minor  alterations..  also..  god  forbid.  the  glass  decides  to  give  up  on  me..  it  doesnt  crack..  it  shatters..!!!

these  are  the  numbers  and  info  i  gathered  browsing...   well..  they  just  might  be  different  to  what  it  is  in  practicallity  here...  so  i  think  ill  go  about  asking  a  few  more  people  regarding  the  braces  :)

2)  yup  the  ply  is  hopefully  going  to  be  marine  ply  and  primered  and  painted  (  atleast  that  is  what  i  have  been  telling  the  carpenters)
 but  regarding  the  aluminum  foil  thing..  i  dont  think  the  carpenters  will  take  that  bit  of  extra  effort  and  do  it..  i  guess  i  shall  have  to  do  it  myself..

i  say  this  because  just  today  i  managed  to  meet  this  carpenter  who  does  a  lot  of  aquarium  work,  he  tells  me  that  he  can  make  a  'good  enough'  base  without  the  solid  framing  but  with  just  plywood  itself...  and  that  framing,  which  he  would  do  (  for  about  three  grand  extra)  would  only  be  for  my  satisfaction  and  not  be  a  major  bonus  to  the  kind  of  stability  he  can  get  out  of  only  plywood..  :(

lol..  so  ill  keep  the  aluminum  foil  suggestion  in  mind  and  hopefully  DIM..  ;)

thanks  again  for  those  nice  suggestions..  

regards

sai
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: