60. Guest
61. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Source of Calcium for Planted Tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Source of Calcium for Planted Tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Fertilisers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:12 am Post subject: Source of Calcium for Planted Tank Reply with quote

From  today,  I  have  started  using  Plantex  CSM+B.  But  Calcium  (Ca)  is  not  present  in  that  mix.  So  I  was  thinking  about  an  alternate  source.  Which  one  will  be  the  best  pick  from  the  below  list?

1.  Calcium  Carbonate  (CaCO3)
 2.  Calcium  Nitrate  (CaNO3)
 3.  Calcium  Cloride  (CaCl2)
 4.  Calcium  Sulphate  (CaSO4)

CaCO3  will  be  easily  available  but  it  will  also  increase  the  hardness.  Is  it  advisable  to  use?
Imperator
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:43 am Post subject: Re: Source of Calcium for Planted Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Tirtha,

I  just  went  through  a  few  threads,  thought  these  two  might  help.  Check  them  out  if  you  haven't  already.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/14125-kno3-cano3.html
 http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/14125-kno3-cano3-2.html

From  what  I've  read,  it  seems  that  Calcium  Nitrate  is  used  quite  widely.

And  on  a  more  speculatory  note,  if  you  did  add  Calcium  Chloride,  what  happens  to  the  Chlorine  once  the  Calcium  is  absorbed/reacts  to  form  some  other  compound?
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:11 am Post subject: Re: Source of Calcium for Planted Tank Reply with quote

I  use  CaCl2  .  2  H2O  for  my  marine,  Once  the  Ca  is  absorbed  it  leaves  behind  Cl  ions.  In  a  marine  tank  this  is  not  a  problem  and  will  not  cause  much  ionic  imbalance  since  sea  water  is  NaCl  +  H2O  for  most  part.

I  do  not  think  it  will  be  good  for  a  planted  tank.
 I  guess  Nitrate  is  absorbed  by  the  plants  too  so,  Calcium  Nitrate  (CaNO3)   may  be  a  good  bet.  

FYI:  I  know  very  little  about  planted  setup.  Please  wait  for  the  plant  guru's.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:00 pm Post subject: Re: Source of Calcium for Planted Tank Reply with quote

Thanks  Vimal  and  Rahul  for  your  inputs.

@Vimal....  That  APC  link  is,  way  to  scary  I  would  say.  So  CaNO3  not  seems  to  be  a  good  option.

@Rahul...  Not  sure  about  the  effect  of  CaCl2  on  Planted  aquarium.  But  after  using  KNO3  as  a  primary  NO3  source,  if  we  keep  adding  NO3  through  other  sources,  may  be  it  will  trigger  imbalance.

Let's  wait  to  see  some  more  inputs.
Imperator
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:16 am Post subject: Re: Source of Calcium for Planted Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Tirtha,

I  came  upon  this  link  that  should  help  with  the  question  about  Chlorides:

Chloride  and  Water  Quality

I  was  talking  to  Deepak  (Brid)  about  your  question  and  he  pointed  to  the  obvious  need  to  switch  to  another  source  of  Potassium  if  you  switch  from
 KNO3  to  Ca(NO3)2.
 I  say  switch  because  achieving  the  proper  concentrations  would  be  quite  difficult  using  both  IMO.

Choices  of  alternate  K  sources  are  K2SO4  and  KCl,  both  of  which  need  to  be  added  in  higher  quantities  to  reach  the  desired  ppm  of  K.
 With  KCl  you're  back  to  the  Chloride  problem.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:23 pm Post subject: Re: Source of Calcium for Planted Tank Reply with quote

@Vimal/Deepak....  thanks  a  lot.  But  I  was  looking  for  a  very  small  amount  of  Calcium  just  for  the  plants.  If  I  start  Calcium  Nitrate  as  the  primary  source  of  NO3  then  there  will  be  excess  Ca  deposite  in  tank.  And  that  will  not  be  good  for  plants.  I  need  a  very  small  amount  of  Ca  once  a  week  just  to  satisfied  plants  need.  I  was  thinking  to  start  dose  a  pinch  of  CaCO3  once  in  a  week.  Will  keep  you  posted  on  result.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:44 pm Post subject: Re: Source of Calcium for Planted Tank Reply with quote

Calcium  is  usually  present  in  water,  unless  you  have  very  soft  water  or  RO  water  is  being  used.
 Water  changes  usually  bring  adequater  quantites  of  Calcium.
 However  it  is  often  said  that  you  can  use  food  grade  carbon  supplements.
rupak
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: Source of Calcium for Planted Tank Reply with quote

i  would  agree  with  Sandeep  water  changes  should  safice  incase  you  are  using  tap  water
rupak
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:36 pm Post subject: Re: Source of Calcium for Planted Tank Reply with quote

Hi,

i  had  ordered  csm+b  which  i  have  received  however  i  want  to  know  when  to  dose  it  in  the  morning  when  the  lights  come  on  or  like  we  used  to  dose  microsol  b  when  lights  are  switched  off
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Macro and Micro Fertilisers All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: