54. Guest
55. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,802

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Water Chemistry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:05 pm Post subject: Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life. Reply with quote

One  of  my  friends  brought  some  RCS  for  me  on  Sunday  evening  and  kept  them  in  a  plastic  container  with  underground  water.  On  Monday  evening  when  I  went  at  his  place  to  receive  RCS,  all  of  them  were  laying  at  the  bottom  of  container  with  some  sign  of  life.  I  bring  them  and  put  in  moss  tank.  After  an  hour,  they  were  swimming.  I  think  this  has  been  done  all  due  to  my  water  (Govt.  water  supply)  which  comes  from  Ganga.  The  water  parameters  of  Ganga  water  are  much  better  and  essential  for  life  than  underground  water.
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 pm Post subject: Re: Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life. Reply with quote

thats  quite  obvious  because  underground  water  has  usually  a  high  ph  because  of  all  the  metals  present  and  thus  making  the  water  hard  and  basic  and  also  the  question  of  low  oxygen  content

whereas  the  river  water  is  high  in  oxygen  and  also  contains  lesser  metals  and  thus  softer  and  neutral  comparatively  to  the  underground  water

get  both  the  waters  checked  at  a  lab  and  it  shall  be  an  enlightening  experience  Very Happy

Last edited by headbanger_jib on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
auran
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 pm Post subject: Re: Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life. Reply with quote

Jai  Ganga  mata!!   Rock On   Chuckle  

Quote:                
The  water  parameters  of  Ganga  water  are  much  better  and  essential  for  life  than  underground  water.                

That  my  friend,  is  debatable.  We  in  Delhi  are  getting  it  much  closer  to  the  source.  By  the  time  it  reaches  the  hinterlands  it  becomes  pretty  nasty  thanks  to  us  and  all  our  polluting  effluents.  And  by  the  time  its  in  Kolkata  it  sends  shivers  down  the  spine  :)

Are  these  Bappa's  shrimp?  I  meant  to  get  some  from  him  but  an  accident  upset  my  would  be  shrimp  tank's  cycle.  I  am  waiting  for  it  to  cycle  again  before  I  can  get  the  shrimp  Sad.
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am Post subject: Re: Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life. Reply with quote

Arun,  Yes  I  got  these  RCS  from  Bappa.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:39 am Post subject: Re: Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life. Reply with quote

headbanger_jib  wrote  (View  Post):                
thats  quite  obvious  because  underground  water  has  usually  a  high  ph  because  of  all  the  metals  present  and  thus  making  the  water  hard  and  basic  and  also  the  question  of  low  oxygen  content

whereas  the  river  water  is  high  in  oxygen  and  also  contains  lesser  metals  and  thus  softer  and  neutral  comparatively  to  the  underground  water

get  both  the  waters  checked  at  a  lab  and  it  shall  be  an  enlightening  experience  Very Happy                

Metals  have  nothing  much  to  do  with  pH  or  for  that  matter  hardness  of  the  water.   Hardness  is  primarily  attributed  to  dissolved  carbonates.   Its  not  that  all  borewell  water  are  equally  hard.   Having  a  well  and  water  at  30  ft  will  have  fairly  soft  water.

WRT  dissolved  oxygen,  water  with  high  dissolved  oxygen  has  higher  pH  when  compared  to  water  having  same  hardness  and  lower  dissolved  O2.

Shrimps  are  very  sensitive  to  water  quality.   May  be  your  water  would  have  been  cleaner  and  hence  bringing  them  back  to  life.

Last edited by madhu_ulysses on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:09 pm Post subject: Re: Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life. Reply with quote

yeah  i  do  know  that  hardness  is  for  calcium  magnesium  pottassium

about  the  shorter  wells  i  didn't  know  although

where  as  basicity  in  water  is  for  sure  metals
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:48 pm Post subject: Re: Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life. Reply with quote

Calcium  and  Magnesium  both  are  metals.

Carbonates  does  not  contribute  to  hardness  but  alkalinity.   

Regards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:44 pm Post subject: Re: Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life. Reply with quote

Rana  wrote  (View  Post):                
Calcium  and  Magnesium  both  are  metals.

Carbonates  does  not  contribute  to  hardness  but  alkalinity.   

Regards                

alkalinity  is  the  total  basicity  of  the  solution  Wink
vidhyasagar99
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:26 pm Post subject: Re: Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life. Reply with quote

yeah,  i  know  delhi,  i  have  been  there,  god  help  u  guys,  its  tuff  out  there

and  this  has  started  in  bangalore  too,  some  area  waters  are  equall  to  that  of  delhi
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:46 am Post subject: Re: Holy Ganga water: Ideal for life. Reply with quote

I  visited  this  Holy  river  on  dated  March  05,2010.  Some  photographs:

Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Water Chemistry All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: